Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Washing machines: kitchen or laundry room?

leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
I saw some threads than request with Cool Kitchen Stuff Pack also come washing machines (and then laundry)

Some or most players say than washing machines are not related to kitchen

But I also read other simmers than have it at kitchen. Searchinfg at internet I found some interesting photos: washing machines under counters, like dishwashers at The Sims 3

kitchen.jpg

729kitchen.jpg

kitchen-with-washing.jpg

Obviously with horizontal drum, thing than at The Sims 3 all washing machines have vertical drum

If add a slot at kitchen room (sort by room) washing machines can share same slot than dishwashers (big appliances?). As ll I dunno they will add a room for sort by room, then can be part of kitchen

Comments

• lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I prefer them in the laundry room, but having them in the kitchen is not weird for me. If they add laundry machines to the game, I would prefer if they added a laundry room category instead of putting them in the kitchen or bathroom categories.
  • Loves2draw1812Loves2draw1812 Posts: 168 Member
    Most British homes have the washing machine/dryer in the kitchen, majority of houses don't have anywhere else to put them - utility rooms are something of a luxury.
    So that may be why some people are asking for such
    edited August 2015
    In most Brazilian houses, washing machines are either in a separate laundry room or outside in the backyard/porch (but under a roof or ceiling, of course). Dryers are more rare, most Brazilian houses have only a clothes line (outside), but some (like mine) do have dryers too (next to or above the washing machine in the same room). In my house, there is a separate laundry room. Because of that, a laundry room makes more sense to me than a kitchen. Even outside makes more sense than a kitchen, but I don't find it weird to put them in a kitchen.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    We had a separate laundry room in the house where I grew up -- it was a small room off the family room.

My husband's family had theirs in a small alcove off the dining area adjacent to the kitchen.

I've watched House Hunters International, and noticed that a lot of European homes/flats have washers in the kitchen (if they have them at all).

And my best friend's family had theirs out in the garage.

If we get apartments, having a laundry room in the basement wouldn't be too odd.

So there isn't one way of doing it. If we did get washers/dryers I'd also like one of those really deep sinks like are seen in some laundry rooms that are used for hand-washing delicate items -- even if it's just decorative it would be a nice touch.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • xsophiex9999xsophiex9999 Posts: 167 Member
    Almost all British homes have their washing machines in their kitchen under the counters (mines does). British homes aren't really built with utility rooms, if you want one you have to build it yourself.
    vht3wy.jpg
  • JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    In real life we do our laundry in a separate location from the kitchen ..
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • vivica86vivica86 Posts: 231 Member
    I'm English and the washer/dryer is is in my kitchen, under the counter next to the sink. I wish I had a separate utility room. Unfortunately my house is the size of a shoe box.
    Let me take you down, cos I'm going to Strawberry Fields... <3
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    seeing how was going this thread I can suggest to Maxis than:

Add an utility room as room category, where can place washers and dryers, but this time use washing machines with front loading, and can be placed under counters
    leo3487 wrote: »
    seeing how was going this thread I can suggest to Maxis than:

Add an utility room as room category, where can place washers and dryers, but this time use washing machines with front loading, and can be placed under counters

I think we should have both washing machines with front loading and top loading, because when they are in a separate laundry room, they usually have top loading because they are not under counters. My washing machine (and most of them in my country) have top loading while dryers have front loading.
  • slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    sounds good to me
  • peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member
    i prefur them in a laundry room off the kitchen. I know watching house hunting shows ive seen alot of European homes have the washer in the kitchen. The majority of American homes have them in a closet, laundry room, or garage..Mines in the garage i dread doing laundry since i live in Florida its always humid in the garage.
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Having dirty stinky brown stain in the undies cuz it's guys clothes in the kitchen sounds like one of the worst ideas ever made. Why not put a toilet in the kitchen next to the stove while they're at it? No really, I can't understand people having these kind of things in the same room it's disgusting! Separate, separate, separate, separate, separate, separate, separate them.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • RebcoonRebcoon Posts: 157 Member
    I have never heard of washing machines in the kitchen, thats new to me haha :open_mouth:
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    I have heard, they do it here, but manly on apartments only. Though I think those don't match at all :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
    My mother-in-law had her washing machine in the kitchen and dryer in another room. It's a matter of where you have space to put them, really. One thing that's common where I live is to have an area just off the kitchen for the washer and dryer. And a lot of people have them in the basement.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    pearlbh wrote: »
    My mother-in-law had her washing machine in the kitchen and dryer in another room. It's a matter of where you have space to put them, really. One thing that's common where I live is to have an area just off the kitchen for the washer and dryer. And a lot of people have them in the basement.

Yeah, I have mine in the basement.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member
    pearlbh wrote: »

oh ya i forgot about the basements...i live in florida now there are very few basements in our area
  • irenemirenem Posts: 7 New Member
    I've lived in several homes over the years and have had a laundry room and then had washer and dryer in the kitchen. Now they reside in the basement.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited August 2015
    It's common where I live to have a small laundry room or a small nook in the garage to place them. If apartments have a place then I've seen closets that can be a laundry room or closet. One or the other since it's just a small closet space.

In real life I have a laundry nook in the dining room open to the kitchen. very old old house
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    edited August 2015
    My first place that I lived in after moving out of my parents house had the washer and dryer in the bathroom across from the sink and the toilet. And the place that I'm in has them in the kitchen right across from each other instead of side by side. Now in the house that I grew up in had a laundry room in the basement.