Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 - #StopStereotyping

PlayittPlayitt Posts: 246 Member
edited September 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Hello everyone! My name is Playitt and the one thing that really annoys me is stereotyping, especially in one of my favorite video game! I really don't understand why males can't wear female clothes and the other way around. Why does it not give players the option to do to this? Would they think that there would there would be not that many clothes to choose from? They hate the idea? I don't know! I would really love the option to do this! Also, another thing that I don't understand, why there are so many short skirts and shorts and crop tops for females, I think that this is the case to give more clothing option for the females but they don't all have to be all so reveling! Why can men not wear makeup in The Sims 4? Is it because people don't think that they can? Do people think that it is wrong? Do they think that it is 'too feminine' for a man? Yes, I know they have mascara but what about lipstick? Blusher? Eyeliner? I think that it would be really awesome if you could do this! Finally why can both male and female Sims have the same tattoos? You have the heart ones - only for females and there are certain ones that only males can have! Do you think that is is too 'masculine' or too 'feminine' for the opposite gender to have? I really don't know anymore! I just really hope that people stop stereotyping! I want to know how you feel about stereotyping and how people could improve this in future games!

Bye for now,
Playitt
@SIimmingWithStars did a thread on this! Show her support!
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/845141/sims-4-plum-gender-stereotypes#latest
Life is better when you have friends...

Post edited by Playitt on

Comments

• fabemefabeme Posts: 830 Member
    Never though about these things, but sure when I look at that it is really strange, but still, this is the society. Where I am, a boy was almost expelled from his school because he was wearing the girl uniform. When I read that I was pretty surprised seeing how it went so far. Why expelling him? There are some culture were men wear skirt and dress and it isn't feminine at all...

Whatever, the thing that disturb me the most in this game is the hair body... Where are they? This is so unnatural. They finally gave us this in the Sims 3, but only for male. Do girls don't have any body hair at all? 🐸🐸🐸🐸
    Sims 3 and Origin Username: fabeme
  • RemySimsRemySims Posts: 380 Member
    Btw men can wear make up in the Sims 4.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I don't consider a full length skirt, and a blouse to be reveling, and these items are found in the game since it's launch. So I have no idea about what you mean by all the female clothing in the game is reveling. :/
  • KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    I think you make some good points. I've often found myself thinking "why are there so many shorty shorts and crop tops?" I haven't played around much with tattoos (because I keep forgetting they're there) so I hadn't noticed that different genders have different tattoos. That's pretty lame actually.

When it comes to makeup and female clothes for males I have two points of thought. One: I know I would love to be able to put females into a lot of the male clothes, so I'm sure someone out there would like the opposite also. Two: It's already hard enough for me to tell the difference between teens and adults in the game, so mixing all clothing types and hairstyles and makeup would make it that much harder.

So I really don't know. :)
    giphy.gif

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    The stereotyping annoys me too. I feel it's more in your face in sims 4 than in sims 2. Those male make ups are a joke! There's so few of them in comparison to what females have, no lipstick at all. I hope they'll address this in the future.
  • HausOfSuperHausOfSuper Posts: 1,825 Member
    I don't have problems with that. But most of the people does not want to trans wear their sims. EA should priorize males instead of putting female clothes for them to wear LOL
    Male. INFP. Virgo.
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Firstly I love your avi :) currently there's a lot of conflict between people who prefer different iterations and yours just totally is kinda like a anti-conflict avi, love it :)
    Bac on topic tho now.
    You make a good point.
    I could use tsrw to quickly + easily do a gender conversion of a skirt.
    I'll also do one for a dress if I get chance.
    Won't do it until tomorrow tho, sorry.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • UsedToLurkUsedToLurk Posts: 28 New Member
    yeah I agree. Make it open, so you can really create whatever kind of sim you wish. One of my simmers has a goth son, and it looks like I'll have to turn to mods to create the look I want for him.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited July 2015
    The male can't wear the female clothes, their body is different, it's like to create a new content.

Female clothes for male = Less new male clothes for male

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    The male can't wear the female clothes, their body is different, it's like to create a new content.

It's about having variety though. There should be options, so players can create different type of characters. I wouldn't ask them to convert all female clothes to males, but they could do some.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm not against, it could be funny male sims wearing female clothing while a costume party.

I'm not sure Russia will agree.

Will it be still T rated ? Saints Row did it but it's M rated .
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • PlayittPlayitt Posts: 246 Member

It's about having variety though. There should be options, so players can create different type of characters. I wouldn't ask them to convert all female clothes to males, but they could do some.

I also would not want them to convert every single piece of female clothing but just make a good chunk! <3

UsedToLurk wrote: »
    yeah I agree. Make it open, so you can really create whatever kind of sim you wish. One of my simmers has a goth son, and it looks like I'll have to turn to mods to create the look I want for him.

Thanks!

emmaning wrote: »
    Firstly I love your avi :) currently there's a lot of conflict between people who prefer different iterations and yours just totally is kinda like a anti-conflict avi, love it :)
    Bac on topic tho now.
    You make a good point.
    I could use tsrw to quickly + easily do a gender conversion of a skirt.
    I'll also do one for a dress if I get chance.
    Won't do it until tomorrow tho, sorry.

Thanks <3

I don't have problems with that. But most of the people does not want to trans wear their sims. EA should priorize males instead of putting female clothes for them to wear LOL

I see where you are coming from but if they converted some of the female and male clothes you could create lots of different Sims!

UsedToLurk wrote: »

<3

The stereotyping annoys me too. I feel it's more in your face in sims 4 than in sims 2. Those male make ups are a joke! There's so few of them in comparison to what females have, no lipstick at all. I hope they'll address this in the future.

Thanks!

KATENESS wrote: »
    I think you make some good points. I've often found myself thinking "why are there so many shorty shorts and crop tops?" I haven't played around much with tattoos (because I keep forgetting they're there) so I hadn't noticed that different genders have different tattoos. That's pretty lame actually.

When it comes to makeup and female clothes for males I have two points of thought. One: I know I would love to be able to put females into a lot of the male clothes, so I'm sure someone out there would like the opposite also. Two: It's already hard enough for me to tell the difference between teens and adults in the game, so mixing all clothing types and hairstyles and makeup would make it that much harder.

So I really don't know. :)

I get where you are coming from but this is why teenagers should be a different size to young adults, adults and and elders - so you could tell them apart more easily!

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited July 2015
    I would not mind dressing up some of my male sims like this... :#
    crossdressing_air_passenger.jpg
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
    TriX0099 wrote: »
    I understand where you are coming from, but in my opinion, there would be no sims without stereotyping. Their traits, behaviours, looks? It is all stereotypical, and imo it is ok. That is what makes them recognizable and relatable. That doesn't mean I think that people shouldn't ask for more options, and voice their disagreement when Maxis view of a stereotype is different than yours.

I think it would make the game more realistic (as it is a life simulation game) to have more variety in clothing as there are men in the real world or do wear women's clothing and women who wear men's clothing!

RemySims wrote: »
    Btw men can wear make up in the Sims 4.

Only eyeliner! No lipstick, blusher ect!

fabeme wrote: »
    Never though about these things, but sure when I look at that it is really strange, but still, this is the society. Where I am, a boy was almost expelled from his school because he was wearing the girl uniform. When I read that I was pretty surprised seeing how it went so far. Why expelling him? There are some culture were men wear skirt and dress and it isn't feminine at all...

Whatever, the thing that disturb me the most in this game is the hair body... Where are they? This is so unnatural. They finally gave us this in the Sims 3, but only for male. Do girls don't have any body hair at all? 🐸🐸🐸🐸

I know!

I would not mind dressing up some of my male sims like this... :#
    crossdressing_air_passenger.jpg

I agree!

• naomehnaomeh Posts: 367 Member
    I agree, but kind of hope it'd be prevented for townie generation.
    I don't trust EA's sim generator's ability to make believable characters with this. Feels like I'd just end up with a town of men in bras wearing sombreros and star glasses.

After all, I let them fill my game up and now it's just full of single mothers and elderly. They can't be trusted!