Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    Hello all! Just thought I would share this link with everyone, since I know OR is a big part of this challenge and not everyone has it. Best Buy is currently (8/17) doing a sale for the Outdoor Retreat game pack bundled with Cool Kitchen Stuff for $15! I hope everyone is enjoying their challenges so far :)

Link: Click Here.
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
  • bjy6952bjy6952 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello from South Korea! First of all, I really really LOOOOVE this challenge!!!! Who doesn't?? I have played sims for 4 years and I think this is the best challenge:) As a fan of your challenge, I would like this challenge to be played by many Korean sims users! However, there are not many of them since it is written in English. So I'm saying that, if it is ok for me to translate this into Korean and upload at my blog (with your credits written, of course!)? I will wait for your answer♡ Thanks again for your amazing history challenge;)
    bjy6952 wrote: »
    Hello from South Korea! First of all, I really really LOOOOVE this challenge!!!! Who doesn't?? I have played sims for 4 years and I think this is the best challenge:) As a fan of your challenge, I would like this challenge to be played by many Korean sims users! However, there are not many of them since it is written in English. So I'm saying that, if it is ok for me to translate this into Korean and upload at my blog (with your credits written, of course!)? I will wait for your answer♡ Thanks again for your amazing history challenge;)

Hi! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the challenge. In regards to translating, you're absolutely welcome to translate this and upload it wherever you deem fit. Just be sure to credit Cloudseeker as the original creator and link back here to the original forum post. Since the challenge is technically still in beta, if any of the Korean Simmers have questions or suggestions regarding the challenge it would still be best if they posted here. Even if it's just Google translated, we should be able to understand what they're trying to say. :) Or you could post once in a while with their suggestions/questions, whatever works.
  • bjy6952bjy6952 Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you sooooooooo much!
  • kethrydrakekethrydrake Posts: 2,389 Member
    Regarding the Early Civilization goal of 7 Bestsellers with the same sim...I think it would make more sense to have 7 total between all the sims. Personally, I hate forcing a sim to continue writing books after they've maxed writing when I could have them go work on a different skill.
    Also, I'm finding in difficult to get $4000 in tips from performing...any suggestions (besides maxing the skill) to increase my take?
    Regarding the Early Civilization goal of 7 Bestsellers with the same sim...I think it would make more sense to have 7 total between all the sims. Personally, I hate forcing a sim to continue writing books after they've maxed writing when I could have them go work on a different skill.
    Also, I'm finding in difficult to get $4000 in tips from performing...any suggestions (besides maxing the skill) to increase my take?

I haven't finished playing the Early Civilization Era myself yet, but a few people have posted issues with getting the bestsellers because of a bug that wouldn't let you resume writing, so hopefully it's not too much of a hassle. I find bestsellers and masterpieces hard to do as well, and will probably have to basically lock my Sim in a room to write until he's finished his books for the day, lol.

I believe someone who achieved the $4k tips goal before made a club with 8 people, with their club activity set to being friendly, then started a club gathering at a community lot and played there. It will probably work best if you don't have too many family members with you for that particular trip, since family members won't give you tips.

Hope that helps! Please let me know how your goals turn out and if you think they should be changed at all. :)
  • beautimousbeautimous Posts: 108 Member
    I'm loving this challenge so far, I've started a playthrough including a blog linked in my signature.

Thank you so much to Cloudseeker and Snowie for putting together something so fun!
    Haven't come across that bug. They do occasionally get Writer's Block, but a session on the yoga mats clears that right up and of course the computer has crashed. I just have them repair it and keep writing...
    By family do you mean household? I only send those who have a purpose to the community lots: fishing, collecting, spouse hunting...
    Regarding the writing skill...I think certain genres should be restricted until a particular Era is reached
    Fantasy (as it is currently defined) - Modern
    Screenplays - Roaring 20's
    Mystery and Science Fiction - Old West
    Regarding painting...certain styles restricted until a particular Era is reached
    Old West - Realism and Impressionism
    Industrial Age - Abstract
    Roaring 20's - Surrealism
  • SisselinSisselin Posts: 150 Member
    I had the writing bug and it was resolved by taking away the writing book mod ( so basicly you hav to use the computer )
    Get my cc and follow me on tumblr here https://sisselin.tumblr.com/tagged/my cc
    tumblr_p44az47wrF1wvxve9o10_r1_1280.png
    Ah...never had that mod. I just put the computer in a little room and only my designated writer has access to it and I haven't had too much problem with them using the computer for other things. Though I do micromanage quite a bit...
    edited September 2017
    @kethrydrake Yeah I do mean household, sorry. I don't generally have non-family members in my household, so it means the same thing to me :p I'll take your painting/writing suggestions into consideration, but I had similar suggestions regarding music restrictions in the past and Cloudseeker decided he didn't want to try to restrict people's actions too much with the allowed objects. I could perhaps add a "suggestions" section that isn't rules by any means, but are suggested guidelines to make each particular Era more immersive.

@Sisselin I don't think the updated version of the notebook mod fixes that issue, but I still have been using it. You just have to have a computer somewhere on the lot (in my case it's in an inaccessible room in the basement) where you select the "resume writing" action from. Since they can't actually get to the computer, they go straight for the notebook. I'm actually hoping that a modder will make the journals added in the Parenthood GP have this function, since the animations would match for it.

@beautimous Great! I've been considering adding a LP/Stories section in the rules Google doc, similar to the section Cloudseeker has in his OP. Would people actually want/use this section? I'll happily add it if people think it's a good idea. :)
    Well, painting is restricted to Landscape, Reference and Classic during the Prehistoric Age, so I thought it made sense to expand that.
  • Jessieloo22Jessieloo22 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi guys,

I started this challenge this weekend and am on Stage 2 of the Prehistoric Era. My founder sims have had twins who have now grown into toddlers but I am unsure how I will feed the toddlers as I do not have a fridge or high chair? So far I have been feeding my sims by roasting fish but am unsure how I will feed two toddlers!
    Hi guys,

I started this challenge this weekend and am on Stage 2 of the Prehistoric Era. My founder sims have had twins who have now grown into toddlers but I am unsure how I will feed the toddlers as I do not have a fridge or high chair? So far I have been feeding my sims by roasting fish but am unsure how I will feed two toddlers!

You can roast fish and put the plate on the ground for the toddlers to get, or you can give them fruit/veggies in their inventory and direct them to eat those just like you do with Sims. I know it seems a little crude, but it is the prehistoric era after all. :p
  • thereesespiecethereesespiece Posts: 614 Member
    Snowie wrote: »
    @kethrydrake Yeah I do mean household, sorry. I don't generally have non-family members in my household, so it means the same thing to me :p I'll take your painting/writing suggestions into consideration, but I had similar suggestions regarding music restrictions in the past and Cloudseeker decided he didn't want to try to restrict people's actions too much with the allowed objects. I could perhaps add a "suggestions" section that isn't rules by any means, but are suggested guidelines to make each particular Era more immersive.

@Sisselin I don't think the updated version of the notebook mod fixes that issue, but I still have been using it. You just have to have a computer somewhere on the lot (in my case it's in an inaccessible room in the basement) where you select the "resume writing" action from. Since they can't actually get to the computer, they go straight for the notebook. I'm actually hoping that a modder will make the journals added in the Parenthood GP have this function, since the animations would match for it.

@beautimous Great! I've been considering adding a LP/Stories section in the rules Google doc, similar to the section Cloudseeker has in his OP. Would people actually want/use this section? I'll happily add it if people think it's a good idea. :)

I haven't started this challenge but I do love to read others stories and watch LPs a section dedicated to those stories would definitely be of interest for me!
    ! Important Note ! I have added a new Stories & Let’s Plays section, located just after the change log. If you want to be added to this list, please let me know either through an email or a PM on the forums! I will need your name (what you want to be called), your forum name (if applicable), and a direct link to the website/playlist/whatever where you are updating your challenge. Happy Simming! Snowie; over and out.
    [quote="Snowie;c-16036866"][quote="Jessieloo22;c-16036838"]Hi guys,

I started this challenge this weekend and am on Stage 2 of the Prehistoric Era. My founder sims have had twins who have now grown into toddlers but I am unsure how I will feed the toddlers as I do not have a fridge or high chair? So far I have been feeding my sims by roasting fish but am unsure how I will feed two toddlers! [/quote]

You can roast fish and put the plate on the ground for the toddlers to get, or you can give them fruit/veggies in their inventory and direct them to eat those just like you do with Sims. I know it seems a little crude, but it is the prehistoric era after all. :p[/quote]

Thanks! I thought it might be something like that! Is there a way to craft a high chair?
    Thanks! I thought it might be something like that! Is there a way to craft a high chair?
    Not without a mod, no. There's this mod, which requires this mod to function. It will let you craft bookshelves, toddler beds, potties, and high chairs all at the woodworking table. :)
    How do I improve sims toddler hygiene?
    How do I improve sims toddler hygiene?

You have to build a bathtub at the woodworking bench (level 9 handiness). If you have a toddler and you aren't there yet, you can sort of cheat your Sim's needs by taking one of them to a different lot. Those left at home will start filling their needs even if you don't have objects for them. Changing a toddler's diaper also improves their hygiene a little, I think.
    To those with Toddler Stuff: When you host a playdate do you earn medals on it? If so, I'll add Playdates to the scoresheet. I don't have it myself, I'm hoping to get it and fitness stuff in a bundle with Cats & Dogs when it comes out.

Side note: WHO'S EXCITED FOR PETS? I'm planning to allow pets in all Eras, maybe even when you first create your Prehistoric couple. Depends on how the pet's needs work, etc, so we'll see. The new world is supposed to be a coastal one, so may be a perfect world for this challenge. :)
    So...here's an update on my attempt
    History Challenge - Qualls
    The next update for this challenge will likely be when Cats & Dogs is released. I'm considering changing the Middle Ages goal: "Have the same Sim be father/mother to 8 children" to something to do with raising children, not just the sheer amount of them. Something like reaching the max level on all toddler/child skills with babies born in the household. My reasoning for changing this is that we already have a (very) similar goal for the Prehistoric Era, and the original descriptions for this Era reference watching your children grow up--which having a lot of different kids doesn't really feel like the perfect fit to me. I also find it rather un-fun to try to micro-manage that many Sims at once.

Let me know your thoughts on this, and of any other suggestions you've thought of! Thanks to everyone for their continued support, I hope you're all enjoying your challenges! :)
  • YlvamYlvam Posts: 5 New Member
    Super excited to start this challenge! I'm hoping I've reached Early Civilization by the time Cats & Dogs come out, so my family can worship their sacred cats like they did in ancient Egypt, hehe.
    If anyone want to follow my progress, I've created a tumblr for it. I can't post links here yet, so just search "barefootsim" on tumblr :smile:
    Ylvam wrote: »
    Super excited to start this challenge! I'm hoping I've reached Early Civilization by the time Cats & Dogs come out, so my family can worship their sacred cats like they did in ancient Egypt, hehe.
    If anyone want to follow my progress, I've created a tumblr for it. I can't post links here yet, so just search "barefootsim" on tumblr :smile:
    I'm actually waiting to continue my challenge until C&D is out (though I have plenty of episodes recorded already). If you want, send me an email or PM with a link to your tumblr, and I'll add you to the stories and let's plays list! I hope you enjoy the challenge and of course, if you have any suggestions please feel free to post them here!

*Side note: You'll be a "new member" on the forums until you have 20 posts and 50 likes or something like that. I'll go through and like every post you make on this thread to help you out. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top