Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Snowie wrote: »
    @Triplis I messaged SimGuruDrake and asked her to change my name. I think you only get to change it once, though. It used to be ewright9 :p
    Oh, I meant getting it changed on MTS. But thanks for the insight. :)
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    Sarahkay wrote: »
    I'll test the 1200 goal tonight when I get back home. Maybe experiment with a few other things to see what is difficult and what isn't.

The skill level would be good as long as you make it both ansestors combined. Be a bit difficult if one sim had to have all 3 those levels. However you do have the toddler requirement so its not impossible if you set it to only one ancestor.

The death goal doesn't necessarily need to be replaced (I found an easy way around it) and it does make it more challenging for less experience players. I went back through the first few pages of posts and most had issues with this, not sure if they died but pretty sure they came close. Think the first time around mine came close to dieing of embarrasment, haha.

I think those were mostly issues with the rules at the time, you were allowed to buy a toilet and a sink but not walls so they kept getting their privacy invaded. Since then I don't think there have been any more close calls like that really, since it's nearly impossible to start a fire or drown a Sim, and Cowplants have to eat the same Sim twice to kill them.

Thoughts on a gardening goal, though? Growing death flowers requires you to graft orchid and pomegranate, which are both either extremely rare or only found through grafting. Doesn't fit with the whole "you can't use death flowers" rule, though. Could alternatively do growing cow berries, which requires grafting snapdragon and dragonfruit. Then require that you grow the cowplant from one of your berries and keep it alive for the duration of the era.

Also, the skill requirements for progression into the second part of the Prehistoric Era would be shared between your ancestors. So the male founder could have level 5 fishing, while the female has level 3 gardening and handiness... or any variation of that.
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
  • LetznLetzn Posts: 13 New Member
    So, my sim just turned into a young adult, but her partner is still a teenager. I thought of using the Mc Command mod to age him up as soon as he leaves school, but i tried to do this with my sim and she still had to go in a few hours... Can anyone help me out here?
  • SarahkaySarahkay Posts: 362 Member
    edited June 2017
    I think the deathflower would work very well and even if you did grow it you still wouldnt be allowed to use it. It wasn't ever that it couldn't be grown, just never allowed to be used. I was thinking maybe the flower could be an era goal for prehistoric (grow it), saved for the very last era in inventory/empty room with no doors (as a challenge wide goal of keeping it in the family that long) and then as a modern day era goal to have it keep the last generation heir alive. This would also keep you playing the last generation until they are elders (or you try to kill them off >:) ). This would not conflict with the rule of not using it since the challange would then be complete.

I'd hate the cowplant one if its the entire era. Mine ALWAYS die on me at least once (or eat my sims and I get mad at it lol), plus its rediculously easy to fail it and then you don't get a second chance at it. Don't get me wrong, it would be a good 3 pointer, but to easily failed in my opinion.

Edit: I agree about the skills and them being with whichever sim they chose (although respectively it was mostly women who gethered and men who fished)
    Letzn wrote: »
    So, my sim just turned into a young adult, but her partner is still a teenager. I thought of using the Mc Command mod to age him up as soon as he leaves school, but i tried to do this with my sim and she still had to go in a few hours... Can anyone help me out here?

Possibly a glitch? I've never had this happen before. Try reatarting the game.
    Also, is this your ancestors child and that child's chosen partner?
    @Sarahkay I really like the cowplant, but it can be a real pain because i always have to keep my sims away from eating the cake, but they always want to do it and it's so annoying, so i'd rather to not have one in my household
    so, idk if that would be correct, but i'm not making my ancestors beautiful, i'm curious to see how the other eras will change when it comes to face, skin tones etc.
    I'm mostly adding the "townies" with the random option, and changing the face shape to fit more how people actually looked liked im pre-history, so i guess that would be cool, but most of them are black with dark, long hair and dark eyes with lots of body and facial hair, so it will be interesting how things will change when i get to the modern day... I can't wait to see!
    Change Log (6/3/17)

More Prehistoric Changes…
    Reworked how you progress in the Prehistoric Era.
    • When you start the game, immediately move your tent and campfire into one of your Ancestor’s inventory. Travel to a lot other than your home lot and the pool lot if you placed one, and set up camp there. Now your challenge truly begins.
    • You’ll “wander” to 3 different lots of your choosing before finally “settling” at your home lot. Stay overnight at each of these three lots, and after staying overnight at the third one you can finally travel back home and set up a more permanent camp. Your goal during these first three days is to fish and gather plants. You are not allowed to Try for Baby until the third day. This is so that you can’t as easily “force” your way into the second part of the era, which will be explained below. In addition, you may visit more than 3 lots if you want to--3 is just the minimum.
    • Once your Ancestors “settle”, you will still be in the first part of the Era. Keep fishing, gathering, and begin woodworking. You will progress into the Prehistoric Era part two once you have settled, and have reached level 5 fishing, level 3 gardening, and level 3 handiness between your Ancestors. As a safety, you will automatically progress into the second part of the Era once your Ancestor’s first child becomes a toddler.
    • The Prehistoric Era part two remains unchanged, I just changed the text format so that it is easier to understand. If you are currently in the Prehistoric Era as of this update, simply determine which part of the Era you fit into based on your Ancestor’s skills and/or the age of their first (eldest) child.

Reworked Prehistoric Goals (again)
    • Removed: Have no family member die of anything other than Old Age – 1 point
    • Removed: Have no plants grown on your home lot die. You can only sell plants if they are fully healthy - 2 points
    • Added: Grow and harvest a death flower - 3 points
      -The scoresheet has been edited accordingly.
      -You still can’t use death flowers to guarantee a life is saved from the Grim Reaper.
    • Catching an anglerfish worth at least $1,200 is now worth 2 points.
    • Reaching level 10 Fishing, Gardening, and Handiness on the same Sim is now worth 1 point.

Challenge-wide rule changes:
    • You are now allowed to sell Cowplants at any time, but still cannot use essences of life or emotion that are milked from them.
      -Yes, finally you can run a Cowplant store for profit! Or just… have a massive, deadly Cowplant farm. Whatever you want to do with them, it really doesn’t matter.
    • You are allowed to buy and build school projects at any time your teens or children are regularly attending school.

As usual, you can find the updated rules and goals here. I've updated the spreadsheet as well, which can be found here. Please let me know if you have any comments, questions or suggestions. Happy Simming!
  • CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    Hey guys! So sorry for not checking in for a while. Life is keeping me in a tighter grip than I had ever hoped or planned. I do not know when, or even if, I'll be able to get back to working on this, but in the meantime, I have given @Snowie my permission and blessing to keep releasing her unofficial updates. If and when I do return, she and I will discuss how to move forward. Massive props to her for keeping this challenge alive when I can't.
    34in38k.png
    Hey guys! So sorry for not checking in for a while. Life is keeping me in a tighter grip than I had ever hoped or planned. I do not know when, or even if, I'll be able to get back to working on this, but in the meantime, I have given @Snowie my permission and blessing to keep releasing her unofficial updates. If and when I do return, she and I will discuss how to move forward. Massive props to her for keeping this challenge alive when I can't.

This is great! I've been enjoying the discussion of possible changes for the challenge. Glad they get to stay and keep on adapting. :smiley: Hope you get to come back soon!
    Also, @Snowie the $1200 anglerfish is much easier, but still challenging. Think it will be a good amount to stay at.
    Sarahkay wrote: »
    This is great! I've been enjoying the discussion of possible changes for the challenge. Glad they get to stay and keep on adapting. :smiley: Hope you get to come back soon!
    Also, @Snowie the $1200 anglerfish is much easier, but still challenging. Think it will be a good amount to stay at.
    Ok, great. I wasn't sure how good it would be, since I managed to get one worth $1,200 on my first try. I was hoping it was just luck, since I didn't want to take it much higher than 1200.

@Cloudseeker Again, thank you for your blessing on the unofficial updates, I hope you get the time to come back soon but will happily keep updating the challenge until you do. Also, I hope life is treating you well despite keeping you busy. :)
  • fabtiffsimfabtiffsim Posts: 1,008 Member
    My legacy is just inspired by the history challenge, but I'm enjoying the resurgence that this challenge is seeing! If anyone is interested we have a build challenge going for Ancient Builds, you don't have to participate (but are of course, welcome to!!!) you can always just share any builds that you make that are ancient! Maybe when you add a library or something like that, we'd love to see it!
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    Once I'm done with my Swanson Legacy I will do a cross between the Genesis challenge and this challenge..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • SisselinSisselin Posts: 150 Member
    I want to try this sooo bad! But I am allready going to start a triple challenge mashup of Off the grid, royal legacy challenge and 10x10 legacy challenge >///> Oh well afterthat or on the side maybe, deffo putting this on bookmarked! C=
    Get my cc and follow me on tumblr here https://sisselin.tumblr.com/tagged/my cc
    tumblr_p44az47wrF1wvxve9o10_r1_1280.png
  • kethrydrakekethrydrake Posts: 2,389 Member
    For those who don't have Outdoor Retreat, you don't need to buy a fridge, just a grill. Personally I hate using the bonfire so I have a grill on my lot. It charges for grilling so no free food.
    For those who don't have Outdoor Retreat, you don't need to buy a fridge, just a grill. Personally I hate using the bonfire so I have a grill on my lot. It charges for grilling so no free food.

Oh, really? I remember you used to be able to grill on other lots without a fridge, but needed a fridge to grill on your home lot.
  • kethrydrakekethrydrake Posts: 2,389 Member
    Nope. I don't have a fridge, just a grill. Although maybe it was necessary in Sims 3?
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't have Outdoor Retreat, so my sims are just binge-eating wild mushrooms to stay alive :lol: They've made a little "farm" area where they planted wild harvestables that they found around the Windenburg Island, where they are living.
    Amazing challenge! Really enjoying it :blush:

07-10-17_3-37-31nbspPM_zpsfgyalcw7.png 07-10-17_3-38-01nbspPM_zpsnxbjklli.png 07-10-17_3-47-59nbspPM_zpsvngqot2y.png
    These are my founders. They don't have kids yet, but she is pregnant! Yay
    @Louise_G0325 Glad you're enjoying it! If you've got any questions or suggestions, feel free to post them here. I try to check in once a day :)
  • ScarArmstScarArmst Posts: 6 New Member
    (Sorry in advance for any misspellings or grammar errors or anything. My native language is Portuguese, I'm Brazilian ^^ )

I saw that @Snowie is updating the challenge, and I took a look to the drive document. I have a sugestion to make.

I read that same-sex relationships are forbidden in nearly all stages of the challenge, but considering that these kind of relationship always happened, what changed was how society saw it, how about allowing them given certain restrictions? Here go my sugestions:

1. Prehystorical Era - I don't think that in these old times, when there was nearly no sense of society, anyone cared to what anyone was doing, so if there was a male whit tons of females around him, I guess that if he suddenly was hooking up with another male that wouldn't be a problem. I think that in this Era anyone should have a clearence to date anyone, as long as the females remained loyal to their male partner.

2. Early Civilization - Old Greece has a history of relationships between a male tutor and their apprentices. They saw male-female sex as something only with reproduction purposes, as women were so discriminated that they weren't even citizens, and so, not suitable for fun purposes. I would sugest that the male should only try for a baby with her, but truly develop a romantic relationship with another male, preferably younger or under him in his work hierarchy.

3. Middle Ages - That's when church demonized same -sex relationships because of pagans, so I believe it should be forbbiden to be something public, but there was always those who would hide in their bedrooms (hello Loras from GOT).

4. Old West - Apparently (I had to make some research for that one) homossexuality was recurrent because of all of the male gatherings in the so male society they lived. I have a link with more information: https://truewestmagazine.com/🐸🐸🐸🐸-on-the-range/ So i think it should be allowed. As for girls, I'm not sure, but I believe that it probably happened in closed rooms.

5. Industrial Age - I remember reading a book in with a girl was promised to marry a man who happened to be gay. Her love interest told her that to try to make her give up her wedding, and she was absolutely clueless to what he meant. It means that in the male clubs, some guys could find other with interest in estabilizing a relationship, but they would end up marrying a girl end building a family anyway. I saw a similar scene in the TV show Dracula, so it's probably just the truth. I believe for this era, these relationships could be limited to the male clubs around the city.

6. Roaring Twenties - In this era, it could already be allowed, but without marriages or adoptions. Without any rights, and probably with discretion, like "no kissing in public".

7. Modern Day - no restrictions.

I also saw something reagarding to lovers, but didn't take a deep look to it. My sims usually do not have lovers, but it is something that, if well hidden, can always happen. I guess consequences should be stabilished in case your husband/wife finds out (like probably burning the woman to death if she gets caught cheating in the Middle Ages) instead of the restriction itself. If that's the case, I could think about something and write it down.

I hope you read it and think about it. Thanks for your time!
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    @ScarArmst I read that Julius Caesar "might" have had relations with his adopted heir Octatvius who was also his great-nephew.
    6adMCGP.gif
    yep, in this Early Civilizations it happened all the time. There are some theories around the old greek philosophers like Socrates and Aristoteles too.
    edited July 2017
    ScarArmst wrote: »
    (Sorry in advance for any misspellings or grammar errors or anything. My native language is Portuguese, I'm Brazilian ^^ )

I saw that @Snowie is updating the challenge, and I took a look to the drive document. I have a sugestion to make.

I read that same-sex relationships are forbidden in nearly all stages of the challenge, but considering that these kind of relationship always happened, what changed was how society saw it, how about allowing them given certain restrictions? Here go my sugestions:
    1. Prehystorical Era - I don't think that in these old times, when there was nearly no sense of society, anyone cared to what anyone was doing, so if there was a male whit tons of females around him, I guess that if he suddenly was hooking up with another male that wouldn't be a problem. I think that in this Era anyone should have a clearence to date anyone, as long as the females remained loyal to their male partner.

2. Early Civilization - Old Greece has a history of relationships between a male tutor and their apprentices. They saw male-female sex as something only with reproduction purposes, as women were so discriminated that they weren't even citizens, and so, not suitable for fun purposes. I would sugest that the male should only try for a baby with her, but truly develop a romantic relationship with another male, preferably younger or under him in his work hierarchy.

3. Middle Ages - That's when church demonized same -sex relationships because of pagans, so I believe it should be forbbiden to be something public, but there was always those who would hide in their bedrooms (hello Loras from GOT).

4. Old West - Apparently (I had to make some research for that one) homossexuality was recurrent because of all of the male gatherings in the so male society they lived. I have a link with more information: https://truewestmagazine.com/plum-on-the-range/ So i think it should be allowed. As for girls, I'm not sure, but I believe that it probably happened in closed rooms.

5. Industrial Age - I remember reading a book in with a girl was promised to marry a man who happened to be gay. Her love interest told her that to try to make her give up her wedding, and she was absolutely clueless to what he meant. It means that in the male clubs, some guys could find other with interest in estabilizing a relationship, but they would end up marrying a girl end building a family anyway. I saw a similar scene in the TV show Dracula, so it's probably just the truth. I believe for this era, these relationships could be limited to the male clubs around the city.

6. Roaring Twenties - In this era, it could already be allowed, but without marriages or adoptions. Without any rights, and probably with discretion, like "no kissing in public".

7. Modern Day - no restrictions.

I also saw something reagarding to lovers, but didn't take a deep look to it. My sims usually do not have lovers, but it is something that, if well hidden, can always happen. I guess consequences should be stabilished in case your husband/wife finds out (like probably burning the woman to death if she gets caught cheating in the Middle Ages) instead of the restriction itself. If that's the case, I could think about something and write it down.

I hope you read it and think about it. Thanks for your time!

Hi, and welcome to the challenge! Before we get started, I want point out that relationships in this challenge has been a widely varied topic, with some people wanting to remove restrictions while others want to add more. When I did the initial big update to the challenge, I relaxed the rules on relationships a LOT.

In previous discussions on relationships, Cloudseeker explained that in some cases he had to sacrifice historical accuracy for simplicity and progression of the challenge. Each era is supposed to expand in every area, so while it may be historically accurate to allow one thing one era and then disallow it the next, it would mostly just confuse people and make the challenge more complicated than it needs to be. My second point I want to make is that we want to simplify the challenge as much as possible. Even though it would certainly make the challenge more interesting to add little rules like male gatherings and PDA restrictions, it's not really necessary to capture the theme of the Era and only complicates the romance rules. My goal is to make the challenge as story-friendly as possible--to allow people to tell any story they want to within the general theme of the challenge. Perhaps they want to follow the exact historical accuracy, in which case they will probably follow the suggestions you outlined above along with any other ideas they have for each era. Others will want to play as progressive as possible, fully exploring the expanded playing field as they go through the challenge. My point is, I don't want to restrict Simmers unnecessarily.

Lastly, the rules of the challenge are never something you absolutely have to follow. They're meant to guide Simmers in the right direction and provide a unique challenge in every era. Most of your suggestions are adding little rules here and there--which you're more than welcome to follow. Those little rules are what will define your gameplay and make your experience with the challenge unique and interesting for you. Most of the restrictions are decided primarily by progression, with historical accuracy wherever possible. So while I do agree with a lot of your points for historical accuracy's sake, that has to come second to simple progression of the challenge. I will of course add your comment to the history challenge document under the forum suggestions section, but I won't change anything in the rules. Your suggestions will be there for people to reference if they're looking to add a little extra spice to their playthrough. ;)

Edit: Also, same-sex relationships are allowed in all but two Eras (three for females). I basically allowed them as soon as possible after Early Civilization, which introduces more complex relationships than "mates".
    Thank you so much for reading my post! I'll be playing this challenge eventually, I have a BIG list of challenges to play as I just downloaded the game (I was a sims 3 player util a couple weeks ago). I'm also trying to create a tumblr account, so if I decide on playing this challenge I'll leave a post here with a tumblr link.

I'll probably play this challenge first because I'm a amateur builder and many of the challengs I chose have a LOT of building in it hahaha But we'll see
    ScarArmst wrote: »
    Thank you so much for reading my post! I'll be playing this challenge eventually, I have a BIG list of challenges to play as I just downloaded the game (I was a sims 3 player util a couple weeks ago). I'm also trying to create a tumblr account, so if I decide on playing this challenge I'll leave a post here with a tumblr link.

I'll probably play this challenge first because I'm a amateur builder and many of the challengs I chose have a LOT of building in it hahaha But we'll see

There's plenty of great builds and households for this challenge, just check the gallery under #historychallenge. Since you're new to TS4 I wouldn't recommend modding your game too much, but if you're playing and find you miss things like story progression from TS3 you may check out MC Command Center. There's a link to it in the mods/cc section of the challenge :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top