Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• SarahkaySarahkay Posts: 362 Member
    @Snowie just a few thoughts about prehistoric (as I'm re-creating after a corrupt file)
    1. Adoption: Children were precious because of mortality rates and there for were taken care of by others if needed. Heir production should not be a problem due to the goals of the era, but I think adoption in the 2nd half should be allowed just not as possible heir.
    2. I disagree (and have removed from my story rules) with the goal of no death except natural old age. Mortality rates were extremely high back then (in most eras until recent actually) so the chances of making it to old age were rare. I allow the following deaths in mine (honeslty have never had anyhting but old age, this just makes it more accurate): old age, hunger, cowplant (predator/hunting related), anger (heart attack)
    3. Last thing, it is rediculously easy to get to part 2 of the era (I've tested this) by just the child goal. Maybe setting a few more goals would make it more challenging.
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    edited May 2017
    Sarahkay wrote: »
    @Snowie just a few thoughts about prehistoric (as I'm re-creating after a corrupt file)
    1. Adoption: Children were precious because of mortality rates and there for were taken care of by others if needed. Heir production should not be a problem due to the goals of the era, but I think adoption in the 2nd half should be allowed just not as possible heir.
    2. I disagree (and have removed from my story rules) with the goal of no death except natural old age. Mortality rates were extremely high back then (in most eras until recent actually) so the chances of making it to old age were rare. I allow the following deaths in mine (honeslty have never had anyhting but old age, this just makes it more accurate): old age, hunger, cowplant (predator/hunting related), anger (heart attack)
    3. Last thing, it is rediculously easy to get to part 2 of the era (I've tested this) by just the child goal. Maybe setting a few more goals would make it more challenging.

1. I think the adoption rule has more to do with the communication to adopt a child, plus the notion of paying for an adoption, not fitting in with cave-Sims.
    2. The goal of having no Sim die other than by old age is part of the challenge--something you have to strive for to achieve. It's not a rule, just a point that you lose if one of them dies. Personally I never have issues keeping my Sims alive in the Prehistoric Era, and the only thing that's come close to killing them was a cowplant. (STOP EATING THE $&!%ING CAKE!!) I could bump it back up to being worth three points and removing the plants goal, so that it feels more like a worthwhile achievement.
    3. I agree that only having to give birth to a baby to bring along huts, etc, is easy to do. That's mostly just a base idea I put in to split the Era in two, and can be changed if we come up with something better. I remember Cloudseeker saying something about making the first part of the Era nomadic--something about moving between lots? I'm open to any ideas you have for it :)

Edit: Perhaps the progression of the Prehistoric Era could go something like this:
    Your Sims have just declared each other mates, and have left their family tribes to explore and start their own tribe. You'll start the challenge as usual, but immediately grab your tent and campfire and travel to one of the lots in your neighborhood. Stay in that lot for a night, fish, collect, then move to a different (but not your home) lot the next day. Rinse and repeat until you've stayed at all other lots than your own in the neighborhood, and then you can officially "settle" in your home lot.

Restrict the official transition to part 2 until you reach level 5 Fishing and Handiness (or gardening?) between the two of them, or automatically once their first child becomes a toddler. Possibly disallow trying for baby until your third day into the challenge, so that you can't as easily transition to part 2 through your toddler.

Players who choose a lot with a neighborhood fewer than 4 lots total would have to visit 3 lots in other neighborhoods before settling.

Thoughts? Ideas? Emojis? Let me know ;)
    Post edited by Snowie on
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
    edited May 2017
    1. Very true, I think the communication thing could be ignored as one of those "only for this" things, but didnt think about the fee (unless you use cheat to add it back lol). Like I said adoptions not important with all the babies being popped out anyway!
    2. I realize its a goal, but it's one I view as not being very accurate to the time period, but I see where you wouldnt be able to add it to another era. This was just my two cents (like I said I never fail this one lol) and will remain for the duration if my story at least.
    3. Thats a good idea actually. Maybe just make a set number of lots to visit instead of the ones in your area plus some, makes it easier to understand when you have a specific amount to reach and gives more of a variety to chose from (since nomads roamed far and wide). Leveling up to all 3 skills would be a good idea since its worked for anyway, BUT hardiness will be hard since you use the work bench and I doubt that would be lugged around with nomads (correct me if their is an easier way for handiness). Maybe fishing and gardening only.
    Maybe making the try for baby option delayed longer also (thinking this since ya time span on normal is 20 days, I believe, and moving around makes it harder for garden skill).

Edit: Try for baby between ansestors should be restricted, maybe not for your other sims to complete the goal for the era.
    1. Very true, I think the communication thing could be ignored as one of those "only for this" things, but didnt think about the fee (unless you use cheat to add it back lol). Like I said adoptions not important with all the babies being popped out anyway!
    2. I realize its a goal, but it's one I view as not being very accurate to the time period, but I see where you wouldnt be able to add it to another era. This was just my two cents (like I said I never fail this one lol) and will remain for the duration if my story at least.
    3. Thats a good idea actually. Maybe just make a set number of lots to visit instead of the ones in your area plus some, makes it easier to understand when you have a specific amount to reach and gives more of a variety to chose from (since nomads roamed far and wide). Leveling up to all 3 skills would be a good idea since its worked for anyway, BUT hardiness will be hard since you use the work bench and I doubt that would be lugged around with nomads (correct me if their is an easier way for handiness). Maybe fishing and gardening only.
    Maybe making the try for baby option delayed longer also (thinking this since ya time span on normal is 20 days, I believe, and moving around makes it harder for garden skill).

Edit: Try for baby between ansestors should be restricted, maybe not for your other sims to complete the goal for the era.

1. Yep, that's what I was thinking. There never seems to be a shortage of kids for my prehistoric couple :P
    2. I agree that the goal is too easy for an experienced player, and the "don't kill any plants" goal was meant to be a soft replacement, of some sort. What would you suggest for a 3-point prehistoric goal? (Of course, we could take the Anglerfish goal back up to the original $1,500 and make it worth 3 points, in which case we would need a 2-point goal.) Perhaps something to do with catching and displaying x amount of different fish? I still don't like the grind involved with the Anglerfish, though I just discovered you can catch them with batfish (common in forgotten grotto), so maybe it isn't as difficult as I'm making it out to be.
    3. Handiness would be hard to level as nomads, but in my experience it goes quickly once you get a woodworking bench. (My Sim was making toilets before her baby was even born.) I'm also liking handiness as a requirement more and more, because it makes sense--they would need some construction know-how to be able to build huts. I'm a little on the fence with gardening, since they can level it by running around and harvesting things, but I don't know that level 5 gardening is a realistic goal to achieve before your couple has their first child and he/she grows into a toddler. I do want to restrict the try for baby for the first few days, but I don't want to restrict it more than that for the people who want to play the "Oh crap you're pregnant, better find a good place to live soon" story. I was originally thinking that the "between your Sims" comment meant that one could be level 5 fishing, the other could be level 5 handiness, but perhaps it could be purely shared between the two of them--so if one of them has level 2 gardening and the other has level 3 gardening, that counts as level 5. Or is that too complicated? We could just have the gardening requirement set to level 3 or something.

On the note of storytelling, we're back to the death goal. I'm sure there are people who want to tell the story of one of the mates being killed by fire/drowned/eaten by demonic Cowplant, but aren't willing to sacrifice a point for it. While I'm thinking about it, I don't really think its necessary to restrict the selling of Cowplants. I think that rule was originally in place to prevent people from easily reaching the prehistoric money goal, but plants don't count toward that anymore anyway. (Besides, what if I want to make a prehistoric Cowplant farm/ranch, or sell my lovely Cowplants in a personal store? HAH, can you imagine, people walking up and buying Cowplants...)
  • AngeliqeueAngeliqeue Posts: 87 Member
    Not adding anything, just wanted to say that it looks like you're putting a lot of effort into this and is looking fantastic! i'll definately try it.
    Angeliqeue wrote: »
    Not adding anything, just wanted to say that it looks like you're putting a lot of effort into this and is looking fantastic! i'll definately try it.
    Thanks! I hope you have fun with it. Please do let me know if you come up with any new suggestions, or think the challenge is unbalanced in any way. :) And of course, if you have any questions we're more than happy to answer them!
  • LetznLetzn Posts: 13 New Member
    Hey, i created an account just to post this:
    So, i bought the parenthood pack and i'm trying this challenge out, so i wanted to know if there are any restrictions about journals, school projects, character values etc.
    Also, when i have a child that enters another era, should i change the clothes of the alive ancestors from the previous eras to fit the new one? I'm still kinda confused about this, but i haven't checked all the 45 pages of this thread, it would be exhausting.
    Letzn wrote: »
    Hey, i created an account just to post this:
    So, i bought the parenthood pack and i'm trying this challenge out, so i wanted to know if there are any restrictions about journals, school projects, character values etc.
    Also, when i have a child that enters another era, should i change the clothes of the alive ancestors from the previous eras to fit the new one? I'm still kinda confused about this, but i haven't checked all the 45 pages of this thread, it would be exhausting.

Hi! Welcome to the challenge. You can check out the unofficial updated version here, which I'm currently in charge of. You don't really need to read through all 45 pages of the thread, I've gone through since the last official update and noted/addressed every suggestion I saw. You can check the change logs or just read through the rules I have listed in the document, as they're updated for everything. If you want to, you can follow the suggestions that @Sarahkay and I discussed above, but by no means are you required to.

Journals and family bulletin boards are allowed in Early Civilization and onward (since that's when your Sims learn to read). Character values are going to happen no matter what, so there's no restrictions on those (though I have discovered that not sending your Sims to school tanks their responsibility value). I'm not sure about school projects at the moment, so for now feel free to do them whenever your Sims bring them home from school, and let me know if you have any suggestions for those. On a semi-related note, you're allowed to send your Sims to school in whatever era you want to. I personally wait until Early Civilization to send them to school.

When the next era starts, it's really up to you on whose outfits to change and whose not to. I recently got into Early Civilization, and changed the outfits for all of my Sims except my ancestors. My reasoning behind that is, my Prehistoric ancestors are skeptical about all the new clothes, furniture, and just about everything that wasn't their upbringing. In the future eras though, I'll probably change the outfits for everyone. Like I said, it's really all up to you, that's just what I did. :)

A note for everyone: The "Recommended mods/CC" section of the updated ruleset will be updated as I go along, and changes won't be included in the change logs. I've gone through and checked for updated versions of the mods Cloudseeker had already listed, and have added a couple of my own. If you have MC Command Center, it will save you from having to install a lot of the mods, since it can turn autonomy off for phones etc, keep the game from culling your ancestors, and make vampires age so that they're balanced for this challenge. So basically, check out the mods section of the challenge :p
    Thanks a lot, dude! I'll be sure to check the updates from now on. Another thing i wanted to say is that the challenge is being extremely fun to play, i'm loving it so far! (And i am really excited to age my teenager sim into a young adult, i'm not a very patient person, so i'm kinda struggling with this, but that's not a problem at all)
    Also, i don't have the Outdoor Retreat pack (game packs are expensive as h*ck, it's rare for me to buy 'em), so i can't roast fish,have fireplaces or tents at all, i saw someone talk about using beds if extremely necessary, and i am a huge fan of cc, so a thing i need to ask is if i can use a fridge, because the fruits that i harvest around my lot are not enough to feed my 3 sims, and i've been using a fridge so my sims won't starve as quickly
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    Also, i don't have the Outdoor Retreat pack (game packs are expensive as h*ck, it's rare for me to buy 'em), so i can't roast fish,have fireplaces or tents at all, i saw someone talk about using beds if extremely necessary, and i am a huge fan of cc, so a thing i need to ask is if i can use a fridge, because the fruits that i harvest around my lot are not enough to feed my 3 sims, and i've been using a fridge so my sims won't starve as quickly

$20.00 is a lot? I guess it all depends on your financial situation. It's the EPs I find expensive at $40.00 + a pop.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    > @GalacticGal said:
    > Letzn wrote: »
    >
    > Also, i don't have the Outdoor Retreat pack (game packs are expensive as h*ck, it's rare for me to buy 'em), so i can't roast fish,have fireplaces or tents at all, i saw someone talk about using beds if extremely necessary, and i am a huge fan of cc, so a thing i need to ask is if i can use a fridge, because the fruits that i harvest around my lot are not enough to feed my 3 sims, and i've been using a fridge so my sims won't starve as quickly
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > $20.00 is a lot? I guess it all depends on your financial situation. It's the EPs I find expensive at $40.00 + a pop.

I mean, that's not so expensive (40 dollars is actually kinda cheap, i guess), but i'd rather save my money most of the times, because i really don't have too much to spend
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    there's a no school mod that's avaible from @Triplis at MTS
    6adMCGP.gif
    Playing without OR isn't ideal, but it is possible. You need to replace tents with beds, and the campfire with a fridge and grill. Try to eat fruit/veggies from your Sim's inventory when possible, and use the grill when you don't have anything else to eat. I've found some CC for a fridge, grill, and bed that you can use if you haven't found anything better. :) I use Graycurse's cooking overhaul that makes it so I can't cook anything without the ingredients, if you want to try that out too.
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Can you link me to that? I'll add it to the mods list. The only ones I'm finding haven't been updated in over a year.

Snowie wrote: »
    Playing without OR isn't ideal, but it is possible. You need to replace tents with beds, and the campfire with a fridge and grill. Try to eat fruit/veggies from your Sim's inventory when possible, and use the grill when you don't have anything else to eat. I've found some CC for a fridge, grill, and bed that you can use if you haven't found anything better. :) I use Graycurse's cooking overhaul that makes it so I can't cook anything without the ingredients, if you want to try that out too.
    Can you link me to that? I'll add it to the mods list. The only ones I'm finding haven't been updated in over a year.

With the grill you can also cook fish as long as you have one in your inventory. There is also a cc I found (cant remember if it was on the front page or not) that makes your fridge look like a tree. :smile:

@Snowie I've been offline a few days so let me go back through and pickup where we left off.
    edited June 2017
    @Snowie
    The anglerfish goal was always the hardest goal for me. It was a relief when it was lowered, honestly, but it did make an excelent 3 point goal. I think displaying fish may be a good idea for the 2nd half of the era since they should have more collected by then, but not so much for the 1st part. Prehistorics collected and displayed claws and teeth so mounted fish could be viewd as a substitute. This would be good to implement if you bring up the anglerfish again (maybe halfway so its not that high again?)

I agree with the handiness being a necessary skill, just not "practical". Having a total combined skill level between 3 different skills could be a good compensation. That way if you tend to get higher in one skill than in the others it won't matter (personally my gardening seems to go higher, faster).

Agreed, haha. I plan on growing several at some point. But the rule of milking the cowplant should remain the same.
    As far as storytelling this has always been my problem. However...after resuming my game today I've written my story so a sim dies, but in game the sim is still alive. The sim no longer allowed to contributes to goals. The sim is literally a moocher of food at this point who does nothing, but is at least alive. :wink: This was my way of compensating with the goal and a story.

Edit: I'm sad to say I can't help with the new pack that came out. Don't have the extra funds to buy it for a while. :neutral:
    I have the tree fridge cc, i'm using it right now. Also, thanks for telling me the grill thing, i didn't know you could actually cook fish, i will try to use this more often!
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member

@Snowie http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=592087

I haven't checked it for issues with the latest patch, but I haven't seen any reports of errors about it either. So it's probably still working as intended.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    aw man, i wish i could attach some images to show how my sims are going right now, but i'm a new member... Maybe i should post more stuff
    As soon as i can, i will try to write entries about the challenge
    @Snowie
    The anglerfish goal was always the hardest goal for me. It was a relief when it was lowered, honestly, but it did make an excelent 3 point goal. I think displaying fish may be a good idea for the 2nd half of the era since they should have more collected by then, but not so much for the 1st part. Prehistorics collected and displayed claws and teeth so mounted fish could be viewd as a substitute. This would be good to implement if you bring up the anglerfish again (maybe halfway so its not that high again?)

I agree with the handiness being a necessary skill, just not "practical". Having a total combined skill level between 3 different skills could be a good compensation. That way if you tend to get higher in one skill than in the others it won't matter (personally my gardening seems to go higher, faster).

Agreed, haha. I plan on growing several at some point. But the rule of milking the cowplant should remain the same.
    As far as storytelling this has always been my problem. However...after resuming my game today I've written my story so a sim dies, but in game the sim is still alive. The sim no longer allowed to contributes to goals. The sim is literally a moocher of food at this point who does nothing, but is at least alive. :wink: This was my way of compensating with the goal and a story.

Edit: I'm sad to say I can't help with the new pack that came out. Don't have the extra funds to buy it for a while. :neutral:

Lol, yeah the anglerfish was probably the most annoying goal in the Prehistoric Era. Not only did you have to get to level 7 fishing, you had to catch a bunch of bait beforehand. Then you had to go to a hidden fishing location, and hope you can catch an anglerfish before you run out of bait. I think with this one I just need people to test it out with the $1,200 goal and let me know how difficult it feels. I definitely don't want to take it back to $1,500, but might take it up another $50-$100 depending on what you guys catch.

Maybe I can just require level 5 fishing, level 3 handiness, and level 3 gardening. Keeping with the idea that your Sims are setting up camp here because they have the technical know-how (handiness), in addition to the stability of a food source (gardening & fishing), and of course because they need somewhere safe to raise their little Simlets.

I'm still not sure what I would replace the no-deaths goal with, honestly. In testing, keeping plants alive is an added cause for concern but again isn't very difficult. I like the displaying fish goal idea, but it feels too similar to the "display 100 unique collectibles" goal in Early Civilization. We already have a fishing specific goal, so maybe the new one could be something related to gardening? Perhaps the goal of growing death flowers or a cowplant? If anyone has any ideas for a 3-point goal, please let me know!

@Triplis Ah ok I did see this one but the names didn't match so I wasn't sure. Also, small world. I hope progress on the sorcerer mod is going well. :)

@Letzn If I remember right, you're a new member until you get 20 posts and 50 likes. I've gone through and liked all of your posts here, so hopefully you'll hit that member mark soon!
    Thanks dude, i already took a lot of screenshots from my game so i can have lots os stories to share!
    Also, a thing i wanted to say is that i had my male sim to have little sims with 4 other women (not five because i was too lazy to put more people in the world) and now the children are toddlers and my main kid has 5 half siblings (one of them had twins!), and now idk what to do with them, i'm going to manage the households so i can fix their names and clothes, but i don't think i should do anything else other than that, i don't really want to get in the way... but i don't know if they are going to be able to survive, since i didn't put any high chairs or toddler beds in the lots.
    > @Letzn said:
    > Thanks dude, i already took a lot of screenshots from my game so i can have lots os stories to share!
    > Also, a thing i wanted to say is that i had my male sim to have little sims with 4 other women (not five because i was too lazy to put more people in the world) and now the children are toddlers and my main kid has 5 half siblings (one of them had twins!), and now idk what to do with them, i'm going to manage the households so i can fix their names and clothes, but i don't think i should do anything else other than that, i don't really want to get in the way... but i don't know if they are going to be able to survive, since i didn't put any high chairs or toddler beds in the lots.

i don't know how to edit tweets but i just want to do an update: the kids are fine, except that they are either very angry or very sad because of the lack of attention.... for some reason... because i'm pretty sure the mom has the hability to take care of them
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    @Triplis Ah ok I did see this one but the names didn't match so I wasn't sure. Also, small world. I hope progress on the sorcerer mod is going well. :)
    Thanks. :) It's coming along, piece by piece. And yeah, I ended up with a different name over there and never did manage to get it changed lol.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    Thanks dude, i already took a lot of screenshots from my game so i can have lots os stories to share!
    Also, a thing i wanted to say is that i had my male sim to have little sims with 4 other women (not five because i was too lazy to put more people in the world) and now the children are toddlers and my main kid has 5 half siblings (one of them had twins!), and now idk what to do with them, i'm going to manage the households so i can fix their names and clothes, but i don't think i should do anything else other than that, i don't really want to get in the way... but i don't know if they are going to be able to survive, since i didn't put any high chairs or toddler beds in the lots.

4 other women works, it's 5 different Sims total so your "mate" counts as one. You can add the half-siblings to the household if you want to, or you can leave them with their mothers. You can edit your post by hovering over the post, and a little gear will show up in the upper right hand corner of the post. Click that and choose edit.

@Triplis I messaged SimGuruDrake and asked her to change my name. I think you only get to change it once, though. It used to be ewright9 :p
    @Snowie

Lol, yeah the anglerfish was probably the most annoying goal in the Prehistoric Era. Not only did you have to get to level 7 fishing, you had to catch a bunch of bait beforehand. Then you had to go to a hidden fishing location, and hope you can catch an anglerfish before you run out of bait. I think with this one I just need people to test it out with the $1,200 goal and let me know how difficult it feels. I definitely don't want to take it back to $1,500, but might take it up another $50-$100 depending on what you guys catch.

Maybe I can just require level 5 fishing, level 3 handiness, and level 3 gardening. Keeping with the idea that your Sims are setting up camp here because they have the technical know-how (handiness), in addition to the stability of a food source (gardening & fishing), and of course because they need somewhere safe to raise their little Simlets.

I'm still not sure what I would replace the no-deaths goal with, honestly. In testing, keeping plants alive is an added cause for concern but again isn't very difficult. I like the displaying fish goal idea, but it feels too similar to the "display 100 unique collectibles" goal in Early Civilization. We already have a fishing specific goal, so maybe the new one could be something related to gardening? Perhaps the goal of growing death flowers or a cowplant? If anyone has any ideas for a 3-point goal, please let me know!

@Letzn If I remember right, you're a new member until you get 20 posts and 50 likes. I've gone through and liked all of your posts here, so hopefully you'll hit that member mark soon!

I'll test the 1200 goal tonight when I get back home. Maybe experiment with a few other things to see what is difficult and what isn't.

The skill level would be good as long as you make it both ansestors combined. Be a bit difficult if one sim had to have all 3 those levels. However you do have the toddler requirement so its not impossible if you set it to only one ancestor.

The death goal doesn't necessarily need to be replaced (I found an easy way around it) and it does make it more challenging for less experience players. I went back through the first few pages of posts and most had issues with this, not sure if they died but pretty sure they came close. Think the first time around mine came close to dieing of embarrasment, haha.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top