Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I install mods without getting a virus?

Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
Seriously, viruses are everywhere. Or the mods pop up with something unnecessary, like an anti virus thing. I'm a total noob at mods.
t0j4i8.jpg

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Mod the Sims is a safe download site. Start there.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Mod the sims is incredibly safe as the one above me said, it's my favorite. Everything there has to be strictly pre screened before it's allowed to be uploaded. Not to mention it's all user feedback ran.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    Gecko420 wrote: »
    Seriously, viruses are everywhere. Or the mods pop up with something unnecessary, like an anti virus thing. I'm a total noob at mods.

I've been modding my games for close to 10 years and have yet to come across a virus attached to cc or a mod. If something unnecessary pops up, close it and check your pop up blocker.

And don't download from sketchy sites, like ones in a bunch of random languages or with ads all over the page. Stick with well known ones.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    Also make sure your PC has really good Security software and scans everything you download. :)
  • KatryinKatryin Posts: 125 Member
    I'd recommend installing Adblock Plus.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I echo what folks have said here:

1. Go with well known sites; if you're not sure about a site, ask here or in the Mods forum
    2. Good antivirus software is a must; set it for Real-Time Scanning
    3. If something weird pops up, close the game and delete the mod

And don't forget to

1. pull out your Mods folder before patching or installing new packs, and
    2. check the sites where you got your mods for updates -- outdated mods can either crash your game or break things (some of the mods kept my Sims from watching TV till I updated them).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Gecko420 wrote: »

modthesims = but I wouldn't download any mods or cc until all the broken stuff gets fixed
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    edited April 2015
    Sims 4 Studio has a section for creators to post about their updates. Everyone who posts there is known to the forum and it is all safe. There's a lot of great stuff there.

Sims 4 Studio is the tool a large number of creators use to make custom content with. No matter where you download you're almost certainly downloading content made with Sims 4 Studio. Our team works hard to make sure that content made with Studio is game safe. :)
  • Brody9962Brody9962 Posts: 272 Member
    There are a few good sites, the main trick is having a decent virus scanner, mine lets me know if a site or a download is an unsafe. I download from tsr (The sims resource) but you gotta be careful & make sure you specifically set your filters to Sims 4....or you could end up with a sims 3 download for sims 4....
    Brody9962 wrote: »
    There are a few good sites, the main trick is having a decent virus scanner, mine lets me know if a site or a download is an unsafe. I download from tsr (The sims resource) but you gotta be careful & make sure you specifically set your filters to Sims 4....or you could end up with a sims 3 download for sims 4....

I wouldn't exactly call TSR a good reliable site...lol
    WLfAA9V.png
  • AshlynneAshlynne Posts: 288 Member

It's not too bad though. I would take TSR over a random foreign site.
    qLr9gBj.png
    This is what I look like IRL. "Bald is beautiful" my husband says. I'm getting used to it and I'm starting to like being bald.
    Ashlynne wrote: »

It's not too bad though. I would take TSR over a random foreign site.

I mean, I guess if I HAD to I would. But I would never pick it as a first (or even second) choice. Too many horror stories and iffy content.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Jaysim88Jaysim88 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I scan everything I download cc wise before I extract it and again after. I only use mod the Sims. I've been using mod the Sims a few years now and have yet to come across any viruses or anything. I think they check creators creations they get posted before the upload them too.
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    Jaysim88 wrote: »
    I scan everything I download cc wise before I extract it and again after. I only use mod the Sims. I've been using mod the Sims a few years now and have yet to come across any viruses or anything. I think they check creators creations they get posted before the upload them too.
    Actually, unless the policy they've had for years has changed, most things posted at mts are not game tested by a moderator prior to being posted. Like almost every other download site mts relies on the honor system for game safe custom content. This works there, as well as many other places, because people creating custom content for the Sims are people just like you that enjoy the game and they aren't out to infect anyone's computer with a virus. It is also safe to download content from Sims 4 Studio forums...everyone who posts their content there is known to the forum and no one posts malicious content. :)