Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Using the laptop trackpad with Sims 4 controls

My biggest annoyance with this game so far (in addition to the lack of create a style) are the controls. For some reason, I'm really struggling to adapt to them, especially in building. I can't rotate the camera while building or painting unless I click out of what I'm doing so I'm in select mode again, rotating the camera so I can see another side of what I'm building, and then selecting the building tool I was previously in to finish doing whatever build task I was doing.

Is anyone else having trouble with the trackpad and camera/view options? Anyone have any solutions?

Comments

• Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I did. Sometimes if I was switching between the game and doing something else on the Mac and going back to the game the trackpad would stall for a few seconds and I need to switch back and forth a few times just to be able to select something.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    sportgal18 wrote: »
    My biggest annoyance with this game so far (in addition to the lack of create a style) are the controls. For some reason, I'm really struggling to adapt to them, especially in building. I can't rotate the camera while building or painting unless I click out of what I'm doing so I'm in select mode again, rotating the camera so I can see another side of what I'm building, and then selecting the building tool I was previously in to finish doing whatever build task I was doing.

Is anyone else having trouble with the trackpad and camera/view options? Anyone have any solutions?

Have you tried rotating two fingers on the trackpad?
    apple-signature.png
  • dancingindiordancingindior Posts: 159 Member
    I found the trackpad almost useless in create a sim! I was so disappointed as that was what I was looking forward to most. Going to try using a mouse instead but as I don't have a desk, it'll be difficult!
  • sportgal18sportgal18 Posts: 113 Member
    I have tried rotating with two fingers and it doesn't rotate the screen, it just rotates whatever I'm trying to build (i.e. a roof section, a room or an object). It's pretty annoying.
    sportgal18 wrote: »
    I have tried rotating with two fingers and it doesn't rotate the screen, it just rotates whatever I'm trying to build (i.e. a roof section, a room or an object). It's pretty annoying.

Have you enabled Sims 3 camera options in game? The Rotate option should also be ticked in System Preferences > Trackpad:

rotate.png
    apple-signature.png
  • EncratyEncraty Posts: 73 Member
    I had the same question. Usually the trackpad works great for me in art creation. But it's a pain in The Sims 4! I strongly dislike the camera angles in the game.. I don't wanna be right on top of the game.. nor do i want a straight shot unless its for picture taking. Really frustrating in building and in gameplay when I can't see. I'm going to load up my game now and try the two finger rotate.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    two finger rotate and using two fingers to zoom in and out should work, it works with the other video games I play
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    two finger rotate and using two fingers to zoom in and out should work, it works with the other video games I play

Yeah, this. And to move around I use the arrow keys (because for some reason when I try to move up or down it shows me the dock/finder bar which is annoying.
    WLfAA9V.png
    Two finger rotate is working now, but the tilted camera controls and CAS fine-tuning controls are still really difficult to use with the trackpad. They're usable ... but just barely. Maybe I just need to get used to a different control style than The Sims 3, but this game really isn't very conducive to playing with a trackpad.
  • YCCYCC Posts: 1 New Member
    Just curious I'm not familiar with Sims 3 but how does the trackpad work with tilted camera controls and CAS in Sims 3? As in other than the two finger rotation what were you expecting?
    YCC wrote: »
    Just curious I'm not familiar with Sims 3 but how does the trackpad work with tilted camera controls and CAS in Sims 3? As in other than the two finger rotation what were you expecting?

There are tilt buttons in the UI in TS3.

apple-signature.png
    > @YCC said:
    > Just curious I'm not familiar with Sims 3 but how does the trackpad work with tilted camera controls and CAS in Sims 3? As in other than the two finger rotation what were you expecting?

Easier tilt. I build and decorate a lot (so I'm not so thrilled with the sims 4 anyway) so the difficult tilt is pretty annoying.
    @Kwankao has posted another way to tilt, hold down CMD and press the up and down arrow keys:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/816577/tilt-the-camera-up-and-down-on-mac
    apple-signature.png
    THANK YOU! That tilt is so much better to make a big tilt and then I use the right click and drag to fine tune it since it's hard to do major tilts with the click and drag. Still not as good as The Sims 3, but it's better.
  • efaspaceefaspace Posts: 85 Member
    The trackpad in CAS really annoys me too, I feel like I can't really pull and shape the sims as well as I thought I would be able to! @dancingindior did you find that getting a mouse helped with cas?
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    fabuulouis wrote: »
    The trackpad in CAS really annoys me too, I feel like I can't really pull and shape the sims as well as I thought I would be able to! @dancingindior did you find that getting a mouse helped with cas?

The mouse does not work well either and Im on PC. This games controls are the worst!!!!! I wish we had sims 3 camera controls even the sliders in cas
  • efaspaceefaspace Posts: 85 Member
    Yeah, totally @phoebebebe13 , sometimes I miss sliders in the game. They claimed that we were able to edit more things and push and pull the sims etc. but i think the controls aren't as good as I thought they'd be! I'm starting to get the hang of it I think, I only just purchased the game a few days ago so....but still not quite what I expected.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @fabuulouis I just installed it this past month and I have the same feelings you do about it. I have not played it much. I have tried to enjoy it really I have but...........
  • 32sheela32sheela Posts: 54 Member
    I love the new CAS, but I also felt like things were more precise in TS3. In TS4, sometimes my game glitches and completely distorts the shape of something that I can't undo.
  • PsychomoiPsychomoi Posts: 41 Member
    > @dancingindior said:
    > I found the trackpad almost useless in create a sim! I was so disappointed as that was what I was looking forward to most. Going to try using a mouse instead but as I don't have a desk, it'll be difficult!

This is so annoying to me, I feel like I can't edit my sims that much at all... I don't know if its the trackpad or just the way the game is designed. I love to fine tune every detail of my sims's faces, so I was super excited to try the new CAS, big disappointment, I feel like I pull and pull and nothing goes the way I want it to or doesn't really move much at all... I miss sliders..
  • JazzpuzJazzpuz Posts: 83 Member
    I found that it was a pain on the beginning, but you just have to get used to it.

Rotate camera: , or . (however these primarily rotate objects in Build mode) or enable The Sims 3 camera - press "cmd ⌘"-button - press down two fingers on the trackpad and swipe left or right.
    Tilt: Enable The Sims 3 camera - press "cmd ⌘"-button - press down two fingers on the trackpad and swipe up or down.
    Move: The arrow keys or press down two fingers on the trackpad and swipe.
  • PrettyPandessPrettyPandess Posts: 1 New Member
    Hold down command and click and drag to rotate
  • Ashlei325Ashlei325 Posts: 1 New Member
    You have to click and hold control and it should tilt however you want it to.
  • MakayzMakayz Posts: 1 New Member
    press > and < to rotate both furniture and your screen.