Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will CC ruin my game after updtate?

Hey guys, so I was looking for some CC and I found pretty cool clothes and furniture, I really wanted to download it, perhaps I heard that if you have CC and then you update your game, it will crash and the game will be be ruined. Is it true? If it is, is there any way I can download the CC but when it's time to update, you could just remove it? I'm kinda worried because I know that in the sims 4 you put CC differently, unlikely the sims 3. Thanks :)

Comments

• colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    It depends on the custom content creator.

If the CC is (shall we say ruined) causing the game to crash after an update, it is all on the CC creator, not the patch.

It is possible to remove custom content before updating and you can re-add it again when you finish updating.

It is completely optional for custom content to be removed before updating your game.
  • suzanne93suzanne93 Posts: 12 New Member
    I've never had this kind of issue with my cc (crashing game because of update), but be careful what content you will download.
  • litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    Really the only safe option is to remove any CC and Mods before updating to the new patch. Run the game with just the new patch to ensure that the patch itself has not caused you any issues, then start gradually adding back your CC and mods
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    In the last patch,( I have it run automatically on Origin,) made my game crash and gave me some really big technical problems and I had just put in some hair and eyes, two custom content, that is all. So, yes it does matter, remove the content before the patch. Is there a way to know when a patch is coming as I now have some cc I have to remove?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Whether you remove CC before a patch or not, the CC might still be incompatible with the update and cause crashes. It's not so much where the CC is when you patch as it is that it conflicts with changes in the coding.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • WithoutBrain1234WithoutBrain1234 Posts: 126 Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    > Whether you remove CC before a patch or not, the CC might still be incompatible with the update and cause crashes. It's not so much where the CC is when you patch as it is that it conflicts with changes in the coding.

Thanks, but how do you remove it just like that?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    > @luthienrising said:<br />
    > Whether you remove CC before a patch or not, the CC might still be incompatible with the update and cause crashes. It's not so much where the CC is when you patch as it is that it conflicts with changes in the coding.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks, but how do you remove it just like that?

Just pull the file back out of the Mods folder.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • WithoutBrain1234WithoutBrain1234 Posts: 126 Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    > WithoutBrain1234 wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Just pull the file back out of the Mods folder.

Ok thank you :)
  • michaelolivamichaeloliva Posts: 49 Member
    I personally think people way overreact about this but the official forums have always been filled with people with fear of custom content and mods since way back.

I always leave mine in when there's an update and rarely have had problems. Some of the mods I do check on to see if they have been updated after a patch and then I do update. Once in a while if there is a problem I'll just take the mod in question out.

I've never really had issues with custom content. I also think it's highly unlikely that some mod or custom content will completely hose your save for good even after you take it out. You've got more chance of the game itself doing that from bugs (like what happened to myself and some others, including some who never used any mods or cc, with the bloated save issue).

Most sites will tell you to remove mods when updating but a lot of that is more of a CYA thing than anything because they don't want to be responsible if something does go wrong.

I guess when it comes down to it just do what you feel comfortable with and if you are really worried about it then move the mod folder elsewhere and then try putting them back in one by one or tracking down the author and see if they've announced whether it's okay with the update. I don't do all that though and the majority of the time I don't have problems and when I do they are easily resolved.

It seems like people are quick to blame custom content and mods when someone has a problem but as I mentioned earlier there definitely are problems with the game that have nothing to do with them.

Custom content and mods for The Sims franchise has been around for long time and are one of the things that keeps the game interesting for me. I'm not afraid of them and in fact I very much look forward to them and am thankful to have them.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    The only thing you need to worry about is mods. Pull mods out before patching. Check with the site where the mod comes from for an update. They will also list if there is no update needed. Many risk it anyways and you can do that but I've made the habit to pull out mods and look for updates. No issues so far... Oh and I always leave my other CC in (hair, accessories, etc). No issues with that either.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • chorvageechorvagee Posts: 544 Member
    @michaeloliva I agree.
  • aishbaishb Posts: 8 New Member
    edited December 2015
    Just pull the file back out of the Mods folder. [/quote]

what do you mean
    like do we take out CC from mods folder and place it in another folder somewhere eles then update the game and place the cc back?
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    aishb wrote: »
    Just pull the file back out of the Mods folder.

what do you mean
    like do we take out CC from mods folder and place it in another folder somewhere eles then update the game and place the cc back?[/quote]
    Yes- I usually put the mods folder on my desktop, and when I want to put them back in I just put it back where I took it out from.
  • conelia200conelia200 Posts: 2 New Member
    Sounds like you made the same mistake I did you might want to sit down and organize your CC's cuz if you have them on organized and all of them just stuffed in the mod folder you got a long day ahead of you but it's worth it it makes the search much easier you can remove by separate files narrow it down to one file folder and find the culprit