This site will go into read-only mode on July 18th as the new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Play Sims 3 for the first time since Sims 4 release

Comments

• Options
    shan_26shan_26 Posts: 951 Member
    For me the Sims 3 was laggy and I have a pc more than capable of running the sims. I recently did a clean install and it runs better than it did before the Sims 4 was released. I have all Eps, all Sps, and I own close to the whole Sims 3 store. I found that for me Bridgeport and Isla Paradiso are unplayable, but the others run well with very little lag.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    shan_26 wrote: »
    For me the Sims 3 was laggy and I have a pc more than capable of running the sims. I recently did a clean install and it runs better than it did before the Sims 4 was released. I have all Eps, all Sps, and I own close to the whole Sims 3 store. I found that for me Bridgeport and Isla Paradiso are unplayable, but the others run well with very little lag.

Take a look at my wall, I have some tips for fixing Isla Paradiso :-)

• Options
    ianxziianxzi Posts: 723 Member
    I'd love to try to play it again if... well... you know... it didn't crash every single time I opened it.
    To be honest it was a really fun game. There was so much to it that I just wish could be brought into TS4. I think if I played TS3 again, I wouldn't like it as much as I used to. Now that TS4 has an amazing CAS, it makes the TS3 Sims look so amateur and actually kind of ugly. There are also some parts of build mode that I just couldn't possibly bear to part with. My only wish for TS3 was a world that was supported by each and every expansion. The city-style of Late Night, a huge explorable ocean and a really cool docking area for Island Paradise, the stadium and arena for Showtime, the countryside area of the town for Pets... there's just so much that I wish could have been fit into one final world.
    But anyway, no I have not played Sims 3 since the release of Sims 4. I'm just hooked on Sims 4, though there are some parts of the game that I wish could be changed (especially splitting households and household money.)
    original.gif
  • Options
    simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member

Yep, Isla Paradiso is fixable. :) Not sure what all you did @sparkfairy1, but I'm a very, very lazy simmer so I did the least amount possible, lol. For me, all it took was going into 'edit town' and moving the Scott family to a new dock and deleting my DCbackup files (anyone who wants to try this, just don't delete the ccmerged file). That pretty much took care of things, but just this morning, I did install Twallan's Overwatch mod and it's running even more smoothly now. It didn't take long at all to get things running clean and it's so worth it -- it's a beautiful world. :) I never had problems with Bridgeport so I'm not sure what the fix is for that one.

KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Options
    ahholladay wrote: »

Yep, Isla Paradiso is fixable. :) Not sure what all you did @sparkfairy1, but I'm a very, very lazy simmer so I did the least amount possible, lol. For me, all it took was going into 'edit town' and moving the Scott family to a new dock and deleting my DCbackup files (anyone who wants to try this, just don't delete the ccmerged file). That pretty much took care of things, but just this morning, I did install Twallan's Overwatch mod and it's running even more smoothly now. It didn't take long at all to get things running clean and it's so worth it -- it's a beautiful world. :) I never had problems with Bridgeport so I'm not sure what the fix is for that one.

Haha actually I didn't know how to mod so I googled 'fix Isla paradiso lag' and found some tips that had helped others and followed the tips. Made a HUGE difference and it really didn't take long-and totally worth the effort because it's a beautiful and rich world for playing in :-) But still the fact remains shame on EA they never bothered to release a fix!
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member

For real? I have to try this!
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Turtlez98 wrote: »
    I'd love to try to play it again if... well... you know... it didn't crash every single time I opened it.
    To be honest it was a really fun game. There was so much to it that I just wish could be brought into TS4. I think if I played TS3 again, I wouldn't like it as much as I used to. Now that TS4 has an amazing CAS, it makes the TS3 Sims look so amateur and actually kind of ugly. There are also some parts of build mode that I just couldn't possibly bear to part with. My only wish for TS3 was a world that was supported by each and every expansion. The city-style of Late Night, a huge explorable ocean and a really cool docking area for Island Paradise, the stadium and arena for Showtime, the countryside area of the town for Pets... there's just so much that I wish could have been fit into one final world.
    But anyway, no I have not played Sims 3 since the release of Sims 4. I'm just hooked on Sims 4, though there are some parts of the game that I wish could be changed (especially splitting households and household money.)
    Sims in S4 look very amateur as well.
    When Medieval was released I really hoped they were a foretaste of what Sims 4 sims would look like one day.
    Instead we got the clowny cartoon look :( So I ended up preferring my S3 sims, as limited as they are.
    At least they look like normal people.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member

Some of the TS3 worlds have major routing issues. Ellacharmed at MTS fixed them. Bridgeport, Hidden Springs, Isla Paradisa and Starlight Shores all ran much better for me after I started to use them. Between those fixes and NRAAs my sims life was much happier. I understand some people don't want to use mods, but thought I'd mention the routing fixes in case it could help.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I have started playing Sims 3 again. I can't stop either. lol Sims 4 just needs some SP's and EP's. right now it kinda gets boring.
  • Options
    simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    bobyo2001 wrote: »

Yeah, do it! :) Make a backup of your game first just in case, but I didn't need my backup. And again, just make sure you don't delete the ccmerged file in your DCBackup folder. I had seen variations on this fix that had a lot more steps, but again -- lazy, here -- so I tried the bare minimum and it did the trick for me. Since it doesn't take long and isn't overly complicated, it's worth a try. :) I do recommend Overwatch too, if you're not opposed to using a mod. I'm playing Isla Paradiso right now and it periodically lets me know that it's cleaning up abandoned cars in the game, etc. From what I understand, those can become a problem over time.

KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    I played the sims 3 the other day and it was actually horrible so long to load then it just kept stuttering every so often
  • Options
    bobyo2001 wrote: »

@bobyo2001 if you go to my wall there are some links I found that I had used for another simmer to try. Please let us know how you get on :-)
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    Yep and it reminds me why Sims 4 is such a bore to me sadly. I get so lost in the sims 3 cause their aren't any loading screens, i have story progression, I get to play my sims the way I want them to be played
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    steve7859 wrote: »
    I played the sims 3 the other day and it was actually horrible so long to load then it just kept stuttering every so often
    And so you thought:
    - Let's buy a new computer
    - Let's get rid of all those mods and cc

(delete that which does not apply)

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    shaposh2012shaposh2012 Posts: 760 Member
    I had so much fun playing my old Sims 3 save today. My "heiress" got married at the little park in downtown Isla Paradiso and she and her husband are about to go on a honeymoon in one of the resorts.
  • Options
    NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    I reinstalled Sims 3 and the EPs I own, this morning, doing my best to resist making comparisons. I can see why players who liked playing with cars, farms, ghosts, pools, colleges, and toddlers really miss them. However, I never played those things very much. Going back to TS3 from TS4, I feel that the rendering of the Sims is far superior in TS4, even with the hair issues. Also, the build mode objects are better for me, even with the lack of variety (which I feel will be augmented by modders very soon). The whole look is just more appealing to me. I don't see myself playing TS3 much, if ever.
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • Options
    Naydi wrote: »
    I reinstalled Sims 3 and the EPs I own, this morning, doing my best to resist making comparisons. I can see why players who liked playing with cars, farms, ghosts, pools, colleges, and toddlers really miss them. However, I never played those things very much. Going back to TS3 from TS4, I feel that the rendering of the Sims is far superior in TS4, even with the hair issues. Also, the build mode objects are better for me, even with the lack of variety (which I feel will be augmented by modders very soon). The whole look is just more appealing to me. I don't see myself playing TS3 much, if ever.

If sims 4 had the things I loved in it and wasnt so buggy for me I really wouldnt be going back to sims 3 so soon. Previously I have never ever gone back after a new base game release until years later as a reminiscence thing!

• Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    After a couple weeks of playing TS4, I re-installed TS3 (without ANY patches, EPs and SPs - empty base game) and I forgot how empty that game was as well.

I was reminded why I did enjoy TS3 more after doing this. I had an entire world to explore with no loading screens, I was able to customize a lot more, for what little was there, I was still able to tailor my game how I wanted it to be.

With that being done, I have re-installed a few TS3 EPs and find myself playing that a little more than TS4, but I am sure that will change once more is added to The Sims 4.
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,559 Member

Thanks.
    I went on a port deleting frenzy when I first played Isla Paradiso, as well as deleting lots where I saw wild horses hanging out. The lag eventually died. This is more information that will help because I plan to start a new Isla Paradiso as a vacation destination using the traveler mod. I learned something new. I don't believe some of the lot builders at EA know what causes routing issues. Doing clever things with doors, arches, and fenced in areas can cause problems. And some objects simply have issues like spiral staircases near walls.

Okay, I am off to see that my sims can visit paradise instead of live in it.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    I want to go back so badly. I miss the stories and the immersion, but... the lag. Hate to sound like a broken record, but it just ruined the game for me. I really really enjoy Sims 4 but I miss Sims 3 content. I look forward to Sims 4 developing into the game Sims 3 could have been. ^.^
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Game would not come on. I needed to re-install, was not interested after that! Same old, Same old!
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I am going back to sims 3. I get more out of it atm.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Meh, I didn't even get TS4. I don't want to upgrade to a downgrade.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    miloekmiloek Posts: 451 Member
    I can never get myself to go back to TS3 because of the controls. I love the controls in TS4, but the controls in TS3 are harder to use. For me, anyway.
    giphy.gif
    Origin ID: f0xxes
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    The lag reminded me of how much ts4 is an improvement from ts3 performance wise.