This site will go into read-only mode on July 18th as the new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Play Sims 3 for the first time since Sims 4 release

Comments

• Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    i play Sims 4,3,2 and if could 1 too ^^
  • Options
    nualla8673nualla8673 Posts: 397 Member
    letha1976 wrote: »
    What is with all this "TS3" is all laggy and crashes nonsense? I've never had problems with TS3, it must be your mods that you're using, or your settings, you should find out what your computer can handle before making your settings all maxed out. I uninstalled TS3 when TS4 came out, I went back and installed TS3 and have lots of fun with it, I missed simtroplis and adding subways to that world, so I could do "play for tips" in the subway, I don't have all the eps or sps installed, just a few, the last ep I got was showtime(should of stopped at late night)

I have a gaming laptop and even that couldn't handle the lag associated with the routing issues of S3. I never played on ultra settings because my video card would overheat and shut down the system. Eventually, I had to replace it. S4 allows me to play on ultra with no overheating of my video card. I suppose there are people who have jacked up computers that can handle anything, but for the average consumer, S3 was too much for their setup.
    You can find my Sims 4 creations by searching my Origin ID nualla_6109.
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    I still play TS3 much more than I play TS4. I will play TS3 for hours on end but I'm bored with TS4 after an hour or two.

TS4 runs more smoothly than TS3 but only because 2/3 of what you see isn't actually there.
  • Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    What is with all this "TS3" is all laggy and crashes nonsense? I've never had problems with TS3, it must be your mods that you're using, or your settings, you should find out what your computer can handle before making your settings all maxed out. I uninstalled TS3 when TS4 came out, I went back and installed TS3 and have lots of fun with it, I missed simtroplis and adding subways to that world, so I could do "play for tips" in the subway, I don't have all the eps or sps installed, just a few, the last ep I got was showtime(should of stopped at late night)
    You and I have experiences with Sims 3 that, according to some, were/are not typical. Like you, I had absolutely no issues with Sims 3's performance. It came as a surprise to me when I began reading how laggy and crash-y it was/is for some. For me, it's exactly the opposite -- Sims 3 ran/runs like a dream, Sims 4 (on the exact same computer) is a buggy, crash-y mess.

Yes, I went back and played Sims 3 (mine is completely unmodded with no CC or Store items) and continue to bounce between the two. Each has something to offer. I still think vanilla 3 is the better game overall (base 3 is more fleshed ut than base 4, in my opinion), but 4 has a lot to offer, too.
  • Options
    dixieangel550dixieangel550 Posts: 779 Member
    I have tried, but i just can't handle the loading screen. Going from super fast loading to playing in less then two mins to sitting and waiting a decade to play was what made me say forget it
    QPs2LMU.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I played the Sims 3 yesterday for the first time in a month and a half. It was pretty fun at first! My Sims are in the future trying to max those rabbithole jobs. However, after 2 hours of playing with them, I was ready to return to Sims 4.
    Where the jobs are invisible. I get it :p

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    What is with all this "TS3" is all laggy and crashes nonsense?

Mostly it's because TS3 was laggy and crashed a lot, particularly when several or all of the EPs were installed, so your disbelief is somewhat understandable if you didn't have much expansion content installed.

Some were worse than others that way. Isla Paradiso in particular was a lag-fest, and the game-destroying crashes going to and from University or World Adventures are pretty well-documented, to the point that there were several mods out there to try to prevent the crashes, or at least minimize the damage.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    I never stopped playing The Sims 3. I play it & Sims 4 about equally.
  • Options
    Trick wrote: »

Mostly it's because TS3 was laggy and crashed a lot, particularly when several or all of the EPs were installed, so your disbelief is somewhat understandable if you didn't have much expansion content installed.

Some were worse than others that way. Isla Paradiso in particular was a lag-fest, and the game-destroying crashes going to and from University or World Adventures are pretty well-documented, to the point that there were several mods out there to try to prevent the crashes, or at least minimize the damage.
    I've got 21 disks installed (all EP's and all SP's) and lots of Store content.
    No lag (apart from IP) and my game crashed like 4 times in more than 4 years of playing.
    Don't know why (no mods? no cc? good processor? a guardian angel?) but there you have it.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Trick wrote: »

Well depends what Pc you have and of course because EA / Maxis messed up the Sims 3 Game, well i didn't have any big problems and since i use overwatch and master controller i have never have any problems with the wrong routing sims or over spawn from vehicles so my PC never had laggs. I need to confess i always have a Highend Pc though.
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    I like going back to the Sims 3 - it feels far more realistic - especially with custom skins and real skin texture installed.

The Sims 4 feels more like I'm playing a cartoon and everything takes place mostly on one lot which gets kinda "boxy" feel to it.

The both have their goods and bads. The Sims 4 still has a lot of work to be done on it, especially for bugs, ect.

I have NO lag issues in Sims 3 and own ALL the EP's. Sometimes I get texture pop-in but I find this only happens when I have a ton of CC installed and store content.
  • Options
    Jazzy6897Jazzy6897 Posts: 337 Member
    I uninstalled TS3 long before the release of The Sims 4, and I haven't reinstalled it yet. It was too laggy. It made my PC run slow. The more expansions I added, the more slower and laggier things would get. And besides those issues, TS3 just didn't feel right. The Sims didn't feel alive, the worlds felt empty, and I feel like the game itself wasn't really about the Sims. I felt it was more about creativity, which is good for this series, but, that creativity didn't really go towards the Sims themselves, it went more towards the furniture and clothing and stuff like that. I didn't feel The Sims 3 was about the Sims. That's just my opinion, though.

But, don't get me wrong, I like The Sims 3. I like a lot of it's features, but some features just didn't work. The issues I stated above are what caused me to uninstall it. And unfortunately, I don't see myself reinstalling it any time soon. :(

I love The Sims 4. I feel like they're bringing the game back to its roots. It's becoming more about the sims now, which is great! The emotions are great examples of that, as well as CAS. In CAS, there's so much creativity going on! The creativity there is now more focused on the Sims. They also added a lot of creativity with build mode, and it actually makes me want to build, where as in the previous Sim games, I didn't like to build at all. It's a great base game.

Though, not everyone is happy with The Sims 4. EA is telling us to speak up and tell them what we want in the game, and tell them what we think they should do to improve it, so that they can gain the fans back they lost and make a really great game for everyone. So we should all start speaking up more, even if you think the game is already very satisfying to you, I still think you should speak up so everyone can get the things they want in the game. I feel sad for the people disappointed with the game, because they want to love it but can't because some of their favorite features are gone. That's why we should all be telling EA, because that way it's more likely to get done, and at the end of the day, we can all be on the forums sharing how happy we all are with the game. :)
    Origin ID: Jazzy6897 Happy Simming! :)
  • Options
    Luke2153Luke2153 Posts: 538 Member
    No. Never playing it again. I hate crashing and lagging. Period.
    large.jpg
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    shay480 wrote: »
    I miss building houses and creating worlds, so I will definitely keep TS3 up and running. I'm not fond of build mode in this game, but I'm actually playing a family, which is something I rarely did in TS3. I'm on generation 3, which is almost unheard of in any of my worlds or in any version of the game. :) And I'm playing in a premade house, which I have never done. I'm even following a few builders in the gallery and really loving their houses, so I guess I'll go back and forth. One game for creating, and the other for enjoying other people's creations.

I'm the same I don't like build mode its meant to be easier yet I find it so frustrating and I have been a builder since Sims 1! ! For that reason I have found I actually play live mode alot more in 4 than I think I have with any previous Sims game.
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    It always amazes me that people complain that the Sims 3 lags too much (I do agree when you install a ton of custom content it does) but overall with just the EP's installed mine runs fine. But thats probably because I'm running a computer thats aimed and built for playing games at ultra settings - not browsing the internet.

Perhaps Sims 3 would run better for people who complain if you actually invested in your PC.

As for crashing that IS a real problem for the Sims 3 - BUT twallan fixed most of those issues. Don't like mods? Well thats too bad too, because as it stands The Sims 4 is really benefiting from them right now for example the jaw small eye problem was fixed by a modder.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    It always amazes me that people complain that the Sims 3 lags too much (I do agree when you install a ton of custom content it does) but overall with just the EP's installed mine runs fine. But thats probably because I'm running a computer thats aimed and built for playing games at ultra settings - not browsing the internet.

Perhaps Sims 3 would run better for people who complain if you actually invested in your PC.

As for crashing that IS a real problem for the Sims 3 - BUT twallan fixed most of those issues. Don't like mods? Well thats too bad too, because as it stands The Sims 4 is really benefiting from them right now for example the jaw small eye problem was fixed by a modder.
    I'm already using mods in S4. The one that removes the white outlines when you select a sim or item, nomosaic, if I'm going to play again I want the lighting mod, I want eyelashes.. there maybe more.
    I only use nomosaic in my S3 game, my game hardly ever crashes. So apparently I don't need a mod for that. In fact I wonder if mods aren't the cause of crashes, because I always here that mentioned by people who have lots of CC and mods in their game.
    (I think I would like the SP mod by the way, but I'm too afraid it will destroy my game)

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    emperorq52emperorq52 Posts: 98 Member
    It's kinda funny seeing how for some people TS3 was a "buggy, crashy mess" when that's exactly how TS4 is for me.

With every EP, SP and a ton CC installed, TS3 has never crashed on me as much as TS4 has with just the base game. I just uninstalled TS4 and started playing 3 again and it's wonderful!
  • Options
    I agree.. I'm on generation 5 or 6 of my current family in sims 4 and it took me sooo much longer in 3 to get there and then I couldn't get past it because the game would crash after a few minutes of playtime.
    You mean you prefer the game to go faster through your generations :\
    It took me four years to reach generation 20 and for me that proves how rich S3 is. I was never in a hurry.

No I just have been playing a LOT lately. I play each generation with something new and was doing the same with sims 3 but it took a lot longer because my game would lag, freeze and crash constantly.
    I can understand it's a drag to play the game if it breaks all the time; I have the same problem with 4.
    I'd like to try the game again, but it's impossible. Must admit I keep postponing to solve the issue though due to S3 (I won't be able to play at least for a week).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ems66676ems66676 Posts: 71 Member
    ive gone back to s3 got bored of s4 already think i'll keep going between the two x
  • Options
    caplikecaplike Posts: 45 Member
    I forgot a lot of things from sims 3 except the lags.
    But it do remind me how lack of content the sims 4 is currently.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I uninstalled it months ago and have no places on re-installing it. The problem wasn't just lag, but the constant freezing and crashing. I do play Sims 2 from time to time though.
  • Options
    crzy_gal_101crzy_gal_101 Posts: 1,856 Member
    TS3 never lagged or crashed (crashed once, but I had graphics settings higher then it should be) on my pc despite me having a low end computer. With TS4, the game occasionally lags or crashes (always in the gallery) on me.
    Official Katy Perry Sim: http://goo.gl/Vxo3Be
  • Options
    AnnitaEatsYaAnnitaEatsYa Posts: 1,583 Member
    Nobody is necessarily doing anything wrong with their game or needs to upgrade their computer if TS3 is crashing and lagging. As others have said it's been a huge surprise to me to see so many people complaining about it (sometimes in hindsight) since TS4 came out because my game has always run fine with any number of EPs and SPs, whether I've had mods installed, a little store content or a lot. I only experienced lag when Ambitions came out and I was still running the game on a laptop I bought in 2006. However others have experienced problems with the game on all kinds of machines, from those with average specs to brand new top of the range computers. That's always been the way and it's totally unfair for anybody who is lucky enough to have experienced no problems running the game to suggest that their experience is untrue or in some way their fault for trying to run it on an "inferior machine". It seems to me it's been a lottery which has been extremely frustrating for some.

On topic, I do not own TS4 but have played a friend's copy as she was kind enough to let me play a few times so I could decide if I wanted to buy it. So I've not truly had the experience of 'going back' but playing TS3 since trying TS4 has reassured me that 4 is not the game for me. Not yet anyway.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    shay480 wrote: »
    I miss building houses and creating worlds, so I will definitely keep TS3 up and running. I'm not fond of build mode in this game, but I'm actually playing a family, which is something I rarely did in TS3. I'm on generation 3, which is almost unheard of in any of my worlds or in any version of the game. :) And I'm playing in a premade house, which I have never done. I'm even following a few builders in the gallery and really loving their houses, so I guess I'll go back and forth. One game for creating, and the other for enjoying other people's creations.

Pretty much sums up The Sims 4. It's mostly about the families rather than the world/build aspect.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

The Sims 3 HATES a lot of Nvidia cards, which is why a lot of people experience problems with it. Even though they are all supported, only a few work glitch free. The rest have graphical glitches (freezing Sims, slow rendering, lag, disappearing Sims etc) which is why you get all those problems.
    It also doesn't run well on integrated graphics either.

So basically, some people will find it runs perfectly. But most people experience problems that won't go away no matter how much RAM, and how fast your processor is etc.