This site will go into read-only mode on July 18th as the new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Play Sims 3 for the first time since Sims 4 release

Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
Are there any other players who took a break from Sims 3 since release of Sims 4 then went back after a while? How did you find it?

I started up a new Sims 3 game yesterday and I got a little confused at some points. It's like I couldn't remember some things despite having played Sims 3 for years. The edge scrolling was different, I kept pressing "O" to see my sims needs every time I come out buy or build mode because that is what I do all the time on Sims 4. I also tried dragging rooms to expand then got upset when I realised that the entire wall along that side expands not just the room, lol.

But the biggest surprise for me was that I still enjoyed playing Sims 3. In previous times I had gotten bored of the earlier game when the new one came out and never went back but I was pleasantly surprised that it was still fun.

Edited to add: I also kept pressing open on the fridge when I wanted leftovers and ended up with the food in my inventory instead.

Comments

• Options
    Ladyliberty1301Ladyliberty1301 Posts: 623 Member
    no I deleted all my sims3 off my computer.
    origin/gallery Id is Snaffles1301
    Twitter @Snaffles1301
  • Options
    allisoneg02allisoneg02 Posts: 2,870 Member
    I want to go back.. I still have families I'd like to play through but if I can't find a way to make it run better I'm afraid it's a lost cause :(
    - Check out my youtube channel and my sims 4 legacy on tumblr-
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • Options
    nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    > @allisoneg02 said:
    > I want to go back.. I still have families I'd like to play through but if I can't find a way to make it run better I'm afraid it's a lost cause :(

I still remember my family legacy in TS3. I had an emotional attachment to it since it represented me and my husband. We had sim-kids who grew into adults. After a World Adventures incident, I couldn't control or recover that family anymore... That was the tipping point after all the lags and bugs that plagued TS3. I didn't play TS3 after that, and that was three years ago.

So far, TS4 hasn't bugged out on me yet or destroyed my sim-family yet. Hopefully it won't since I actually like TS4 better.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • Options
    I agree.. I'm on generation 5 or 6 of my current family in sims 4 and it took me sooo much longer in 3 to get there and then I couldn't get past it because the game would crash after a few minutes of playtime.
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I agree.. I'm on generation 5 or 6 of my current family in sims 4 and it took me sooo much longer in 3 to get there and then I couldn't get past it because the game would crash after a few minutes of playtime.
    You mean you prefer the game to go faster through your generations :\
    It took me four years to reach generation 20 and for me that proves how rich S3 is. I was never in a hurry.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yes, I did. I started a new game in the SN town, because I had found that game months ago on sale, but never installed it. I finally did after the release of the TS4 and after I decided in Sept. I wasn't going to keep the TS4 from Origin. I would wait to see what they did about toddlers and pools so in a sense I went to play TS3 and found it a lot of fun and of course more to do than in the bare bones base game.

I played TS4 yesterday for awhile, but this week at some point I know I am going to load up either the TS3 or even the TS2 and go play my 'real' Sims...lol.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    I still enjoy playing TS2 :) I enjoy all the games, I'd probably still play TS1 if I ever had it on PC.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    YazFoxxyYazFoxxy Posts: 1,219 Member
    Nope.. I ain't played Sims 3 since the beginning of September and uninstall after a few days after Sims 4 release. Don't think I would go back to Sims 3 unless I get very bored. I'm tempted to install Sims 2 again. Geez, I miss that game..
  • Options
    cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,523 Member
    I played the Sims 3 yesterday for the first time in a month and a half. It was pretty fun at first! My Sims are in the future trying to max those rabbithole jobs. However, after 2 hours of playing with them, I was ready to return to Sims 4.
  • Options
    katoregamakatoregama Posts: 1,129 Member
    Man, I wish I could go back. After a while playing Sims 3 on a Laptop, my laptop eventually couldn't handle it anymore. It was right after University Life was released, and I was Sims-less for months. Shortly before Into the Future came out I had just bought my new desktop, and was able to re-install. I made a list of everything major you COULD do in sims 3, and started a household to achieve it all, one expansion at a time (though not in EP order). I got all the way up to Supernatural, on the second half of my list, when TS4 finally came out. I miss a lot of things from 3, but the lag, and loading, and crashing, and general instability I can do without. Bugs or not, I have a much easier time running Sims 4, and I don't think I could go back.
    Kato, Kato, rhymes with tomato.
    Players: Check out my Sims 4 Room Challenge.
    Devs & Players: Check out my Archaeology Career Idea
  • Options
    shay480shay480 Posts: 880 Member

I miss building houses and creating worlds, so I will definitely keep TS3 up and running. I'm not fond of build mode in this game, but I'm actually playing a family, which is something I rarely did in TS3. I'm on generation 3, which is almost unheard of in any of my worlds or in any version of the game. :) And I'm playing in a premade house, which I have never done. I'm even following a few builders in the gallery and really loving their houses, so I guess I'll go back and forth. One game for creating, and the other for enjoying other people's creations.

"I'm hungry! Bring me a neighbor!"
    b9b8f6e8.jpg
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,406 Member
    I played S3 yesterday. I now play both 3 and 4 as there are things in both I love.

I finally found the solution to my lags and freezes, I only have 4 eps and 2 sps installed and the game runs great. I never miss ST, Pets, ITF but wish I could install IP and SN. Gen has always been, meh. IP has too many routing issues and in SN, the alchemy station is glitched in every game I play so what's the use. Other than that I'm have a blast playing S3. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    nualla8673nualla8673 Posts: 397 Member
    It took me four years to reach generation 20 and for me that proves how rich S3 is. I was never in a hurry.

If you read passed "it took soo much longer", she also wrote the game continued to crash and that's why she couldn't proceed.
    You can find my Sims 4 creations by searching my Origin ID nualla_6109.
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    I occasionally go back to the Sims 3.

I still want to play in Monte Vista and Justine Keaton.

I will officially uninstall the Sims 3 when the first or second expansion pack is released for the Sims 4.
  • Options
    SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    I tried to play Sims 3 a few days ago. I was surprised and mildly amused at myself because I forgot how to rotate the camera with the mouse, I had to use the keyboard. I was setting up Roaring Heights with venues I wanted and was having a good time when my son pulled the plug on the computer. I hadn't saved anything and didn't feel like going back and redoing all that work again. I plan on trying again this weekend, maybe.
  • Options
    NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    I didn't play Sims 3 much from the beginning because it wasn't like TS2, and my computer OS no longer runs TS2 (Windows 8.1). I do intend to play Sims3 again, though, for comparison to TS4. Some day.
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    I tried opening the Sims 3 once after 4 came out... and by the time I got through the loading screens, and experienced again the joy of sims that lag every few seconds, and then had the game crash when I tried going into an expansion zone, I uninstalled it and don't figure I'll ever go back.

TS4 may have its issues, but at least it doesn't make me want to rip my hair out.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Options
    VirtualPets65VirtualPets65 Posts: 133 Member
    I never went back to S3 because it was just too laggy and buggy and crashed constantly. Now that Sims 4 is out,I have a chance to play a REAL Sims game again.
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    edited October 2014
    nooooo....... i uninstalled it because of the constant crashing.
  • Options
    Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    Makes me wonder if I should uninstall some of my packs. Only problem with that is I don't want to give up the content it came with clothing, furniture, etc. For instance I don't play ITF nor WA but kep them for collectibles etc.
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I played S3 yesterday. I now play both 3 and 4 as there are things in both I love.

I finally found the solution to my lags and freezes, I only have 4 eps and 2 sps installed and the game runs great. I never miss ST, Pets, ITF but wish I could install IP and SN. Gen has always been, meh. IP has too many routing issues and in SN, the alchemy station is glitched in every game I play so what's the use. Other than that I'm have a blast playing S3. :D

• Options
    letha1976letha1976 Posts: 7 New Member
    What is with all this "TS3" is all laggy and crashes nonsense? I've never had problems with TS3, it must be your mods that you're using, or your settings, you should find out what your computer can handle before making your settings all maxed out. I uninstalled TS3 when TS4 came out, I went back and installed TS3 and have lots of fun with it, I missed simtroplis and adding subways to that world, so I could do "play for tips" in the subway, I don't have all the eps or sps installed, just a few, the last ep I got was showtime(should of stopped at late night)
  • Options

No I just have been playing a LOT lately. I play each generation with something new and was doing the same with sims 3 but it took a lot longer because my game would lag, freeze and crash constantly.
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • Options
    cooli02000cooli02000 Posts: 1,974 Member
    nualla8673 wrote: »
    Yes, and the lag reminded me of why I stopped playing S3 in the first place.

Yes, and it was a good idea. TS4 just didn't want to improve and decided to remove.
  • Options
    letha1976 wrote: »
    What is with all this "TS3" is all laggy and crashes nonsense? I've never had problems with TS3, it must be your mods that you're using, or your settings, you should find out what your computer can handle before making your settings all maxed out. I uninstalled TS3 when TS4 came out, I went back and installed TS3 and have lots of fun with it, I missed simtroplis and adding subways to that world, so I could do "play for tips" in the subway, I don't have all the eps or sps installed, just a few, the last ep I got was showtime(should of stopped at late night)

I played without mods for a long time but had to install overwatch and errortrap which stopped some of my problems. I have a machine more than capable of playing 3 but it just doesn't work with every EP, SP and maybe 50-75% of the store installed. If you have all that then kudos to your computer being able to handle it all!

alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy