Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simulation Tech Talk

SimGuruMaxSimGuruMax Posts: 105 SimGuru (retired)
edited February 13 in Nominated Threads
Hi everyone!

My name is Max Rebuschatis and I am one of the engineers of our love letter to y'all - The Sims 4 Simulation.

Animation, design, modeling, and engineering all collaborated to create a fresh, exciting, and detailed take on our beloved virtual people.
There is surprising complexity in this system, and it is my pleasure to discuss various facets of the tech.

I'll start with a couple examples:

Did you know that Sims do, in fact, have an innate handedness? We determine the handedness of a Sim based on their unique id and roughly 75% of Sims are right-handed! This affects their default pickup hand and various other animations where mirroring is available.

Ever wonder why Sims will walk some distance to eat near other Sims? We have a sophisticated scoring system that bakes a large number of preferences into meters, which then allows us to compare routing to different objects directly while including things like object types and relationships.

Feel free to ask me anything you want about the simulation tech in this thread. I'll do my best to answer as much as I can within reason.

-Max

Note: this discussion was originally in Technical Discussion, but this seems like a more appropriate place for it. You can see the original discussion here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/782786/simulation-tech-talk-i#latest
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited September 2014
    Hiya!

I think it's more important to note that 25% of Sims are left-handed. :D

The infinite pie anecdote is hilarious (and I feel bad for saying that :p ). So, what exactly are we asking you here? I mean, what does simulation tech encompass? And can we ask about specific issues we might be having that fall under this category or do we continue asking those in the Q&A threads with the other gurus or the bugs threads in the tech section?

ETA: clarity
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I have a question about animations. Not sure if this completely relates to the topic but why is it that sims nowadays seem to be less, let's say "hands on" with their environment?

I'll compare to TS2 as an example.

In TS2 sims were a lot more involved with minor items like plates, mugs, books, items on the floor etc I mean they looked as though they physically touched them whereas with the latest iterations in the series, these bend down, pick up animations have turned into a swish of the hand it's there or a slight-extended-hand curtsy it's there.

I hope I've explained myself well :-/
  • SimGuruMaxSimGuruMax Posts: 105 SimGuru (retired)
    edited September 2014
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Hiya!

The infinite pie anecdote is hilarious (and I feel bad for saying that :p ). So, what exactly are we asking you here? I mean, what does simulation tech encompass? And can we ask about specific issues we might be having that falls under this category or do we continue asking those in the Q&A threads with the other gurus or the bugs threads in the tech section?

I am less interested in discussing bugs, however I will entertain all questions that I feel equipped to answer properly. I would say when in doubt, go ahead and ask. I can answer questions about multitasking, autonomy, animation, postures, performance, etc.
    Post edited by SimGuruMax on
  • camman1995camman1995 Posts: 900 Member
    Curious question. Grant's signature says he's been with Maxis since Sims 2 Open For Business. How long have you been with the team?
  • DesiraiDesirai Posts: 1,058 Member
    What software is used to model the plants and objects in nature? This might just be me but I absolutely adore the way the plants and nature objects (the ducks in the pond, the fish, even the pebbles on the ground) are designed, colored, the way they move, etc etc.
    What if I told you.. you don't have to have 98723987297 animated GIFs in your signatures!?!??
    camman1995 wrote: »
    Curious question. Grant's signature says he's been with Maxis since Sims 2 Open For Business. How long have you been with the team?

I worked on MySims, MySims: Kingdom, The Sims 3 (base game), and have been on The Sims 4 since practically the beginning.
    Desirai wrote: »
    What software is used to model the plants and objects in nature? This might just be me but I absolutely adore the way the plants and nature objects (the ducks in the pond, the fish, even the pebbles on the ground) are designed, colored, the way they move, etc etc.

I am not 100% certain I can share this, so I will leave this as an exercise to the reader. Our environment and modeling team did a great job, though, I agree!
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    SimGuruMax wrote: »
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Hiya!

The infinite pie anecdote is hilarious (and I feel bad for saying that :p ). So, what exactly are we asking you here? I mean, what does simulation tech encompass? And can we ask about specific issues we might be having that falls under this category or do we continue asking those in the Q&A threads with the other gurus or the bugs threads in the tech section?

I am less interested in discussing bugs, however I will entertain all questions that I feel equipped to answer properly. I would say when in doubt, go ahead and ask. I can answer questions about multitasking, autonomy, animation blending, postures, performance, etc.

Excellent. Thanks for explaining that.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • DesiraiDesirai Posts: 1,058 Member
    Desirai wrote: »

I am not 100% certain I can share this, so I will leave this as an exercise to the reader. Our environment and modeling team did a great job, though, I agree!
    Well, can you share whether the software was developed inhouse, or is it software that is available to the public?

What if I told you.. you don't have to have 98723987297 animated GIFs in your signatures!?!??
  • AnshinAnshin Posts: 446 Member
    Hi!

Will the Mendelian genetics that was in TS2 be making a return? It was so wonderful to have realistic genetics with dominant are recessive genes! <3

Also, for family trees will we be able to add other extended family households to our relationships? It would be amazing if we could add in-laws, and grandparents, and aunts, uncles, etc to our family tree without having to be limited to the eight sims we can create per individual household in CAS.
    This is the game that never ends
    Yes, it goes on and on, my friends
    Some people started playing it not knowing what it was
    And they′ll continue playing it forever just because ...
  • SnuggieQueenSnuggieQueen Posts: 231 Member
    I was wondering if it’d be possible to change the way names work in the Sims and how much work would have to go into doing so. A few Sims saved in my gallery have names where the first and last name should be reversed (Ex: Ha Na Choi should be Choi Ha Na). Also, in some cultures, children take two surnames. One is from their father and the other from their mother. (Ex: Maria Fernández Cortés) Would this be able to be done without having to change a name manually? I'd love to know this before planning out legacy Sims.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions and I hope that mine aren’t too silly.
    Anshin wrote: »
    Hi!

Will the Mendelian genetics that was in TS2 be making a return? It was so wonderful to have realistic genetics with dominant are recessive genes! <3

Also, for family trees will we be able to add other extended family households to our relationships? It would be amazing if we could add in-laws, and grandparents, and aunts, uncles, etc to our family tree without having to be limited to the eight sims we can create per individual household in CAS.
    I was wondering if it’d be possible to change the way names work in the Sims and how much work would have to go into doing so. A few Sims saved in my gallery have names where the first and last name should be reversed (Ex: Ha Na Choi should be Choi Ha Na). Also, in some cultures, children take two surnames. One is from their father and the other from their mother. (Ex: Maria Fernández Cortés) Would this be able to be done without having to change a name manually? I'd love to know this before planning out legacy Sims.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions and I hope that mine aren’t too silly.

Happy to answer questions, unfortunately these are beyond my purview. You should bring this up with SimGuruGrant or SimGuruSemedi. Sorry!
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Hi everyone!

My name is Max Rebuschatis and I am one of the engineers of our love letter to y'all - The Sims 4 Simulation.

Animation, design, modeling, and engineering all collaborated to create a fresh, exciting, and detailed take on our beloved virtual people.
    There is surprising complexity in this system, and it is my pleasure to discuss various facets of the tech.

I'll start with a couple examples:

Did you know that Sims do, in fact, have an innate handedness? We determine the handedness of a Sim based on their unique id and roughly 75%
    of Sims are right-handed! This affects their default pickup hand and various other animations where mirroring is available.

Ever wonder why Sims will walk some distance to eat near other Sims? We have a sophisticated scoring system that bakes a large number of preferences into meters, which then allows us to compare routing to different objects directly while including things like object types and relationships.

Feel free to ask me anything you want about the simulation tech in this thread. I'll do my best to answer as much as I can within reason.

-Max

Note: this discussion was originally in Technical Discussion, but this seems like a more appropriate place for it. You can see the original discussion here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/782786/simulation-tech-talk-i#latest

Hi Max. There is an issue with the first kiss interaction and the kiss on the sofa and other sitting places were sims lips don't touch. It makes it hard to take a picture for a story. Can that be patched or is it too late to fix animations after the game is out?

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

Hi Max. There is an issue with the first kiss interaction and the kiss on the sofa and other sitting places were sims lips don't touch. It makes it hard to take a picture for a story. Can that be patched or is it too late to fix animations after the game is out?

This is an interesting issue with registration. I will make sure that this has the attention of our animation team (though they already probably know about it) - having strong animations is one of our core principles and we take our animation quality very seriously in The Sims 4. I can't make any promises but it is never too late to touch up this kind of thing.

Thank you.

• mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2014
    One of my favorite things about the game is how if a sim is taking a bath and there are two ways to the same room, the sim will take the way that the bathing sim is not in. Just things like that I love. A lot. And how does this happen?
    edited September 2014
    mwdonohue wrote: »
    One of my favorite things about the game is how if a sim is taking a bath and there are two ways to the same room, the sim will take the way that the bathing sim is not in. Just things like that I love. A lot. And how does this happen?

Great question! This gets back to the idea of a graph of your entire house that I was talking about earlier.

The first question is where is your Sim going? Let's say you are heading to sit down on a chair in another room. We have the node in the graph for the chair and know the position your Sim will have to stand in order to animate into the chair. We also know that there are two ways to get out of the bathtub. So now we have your source and destination - we know you will start at either of these two locations near the tub (after playing one of two possible animations in the future) and we know where you want to end up. After that, we just do a path plan from the multiple source locations to the destination location and our awesome path planner figures out the best route to take. The result includes which of the sources was selected and we just play the associated animation so your Sim gets out on that side.

This also extends to more complex paths where there are multiple start and multiple end points - like the option of sitting down in one of many chairs to watch TV, for example.
    Post edited by SimGuruMax on
  • 4eee54eee5 Posts: 687 Member
    Is it possible to have sims stand up straight in CAS? I find it difficult to find good clothes for them when they don't stand straight

Great question! This gets back to the idea of a graph of your entire house that I was talking about earlier.

The first question is where is your Sim going? Let's say you are heading to sit down on a chair in another room. We have the node in the graph for the chair and know the position your Sim will have to stand in order to animate into the chair. We also know that there are two ways to get out of the bathtub. So now we have your two endpoints - we know you will start at either of these two locations (after playing one of two possible animations in the future) and we know where you want to end up. After that, we just do a path plan from the multiple source locations to the destination location and our awesome path planner figures out the best route to take. The result includes which of the sources was selected and we just play the associated animation so your Sim gets out on that side.

This also extends to more complex paths where there are multiple start and multiple end points - like the option of sitting down in one of many chairs to watch TV, for example.

Make sense?

O__O Wow. That's so cool! A lot of effort went into the overall routing and AI I see! I have another question though. Let's say my sim Mom makes breakfast in the morning for the whole family. And everyone else is really hungry. I realized that the sims will still get food even when the mom is serving up a whole dish. Is the sims autonomy based on needs, emotions, and surroundings? Or is it a mixture of the three?
    4eee5 wrote: »
    Is it possible to have sims stand up straight in CAS? I find it difficult to find good clothes for them when they don't stand straight

Possible - absolutely. We have a suite of animations in CAS designed to make the Sims playful and fun to experiment with and this suite could be expanded if that is what we decide to spend our time on. No promises on that last part of course, but I encourage you to suggest this to SimGuruGrant.
    O__O Wow. That's so cool! A lot of effort went into the overall routing and AI I see! I have another question though. Let's say my sim Mom makes breakfast in the morning for the whole family. And everyone else is really hungry. I realized that the sims will still get food even when the mom is serving up a whole dish. Is the sims autonomy based on needs, emotions, and surroundings? Or is it a mixture of the three?

I am not entirely sure I understand your question. I will put this out there though:

Our autonomy system does have awareness of Sims who are actively cooking. Other hungry Sims are *supposed* to wait for that Sim to finish cooking *if* they are making a group meal. You may be running into some issues with that system?

Have you tried the "Call To Meal" interaction yet? We designed that as a hook for our players to be able to more easily get their Sims to eat together, though we also tried very hard to make it happen naturally and autonomously as well.

If you want to clarify your question, I might be able to shed more light on this.
    edited September 2014

I am not entirely sure I understand your question. I will put this out there though:

Our autonomy system does have awareness of Sims who are actively cooking. Other hungry Sims are *supposed* to wait for that Sim to finish cooking *if* they are making a group meal. You may be running into some issues with that system?

Have you tried the "Call To Meal" interaction yet? We designed that as a hook for our players to be able to more easily get their Sims to eat together, though we also tried very hard to make it happen naturally and autonomously as well.

If you want to clarify your question, I might be able to shed more light on this.

I guess it is a bug then. :/ Mom Sim will start to make pancakes and everyone else will either get something from the fridge or the kids will get cereal. I have tried the call to meal interaction yet it didn't do anything. I just realized this now though. My question was if the sims autonomous actions for their needs are based on their emotions or their surroundings (as in like whether dad is programming on the computer and little jimmy moves dad out of the way to play games because his fun need is low).

EDIT: Didn't read the second post.
    edited September 2014

Whoops, missed the second part of your question. Autonomy is based on a large number of factors - too long to mention them all but they include
    - Motives
    - EMOTIONS
    - Relationships
    - Situations / Events
    - Objects (and proximity)

We made it a point to have our Sims be smarter, more autonomous, and more aware of themselves and their surroundings. Emotions is a huge part of it, but we also wanted them to take better care of themselves and allow the player to focus more on the long-term and other exciting aspects of the gameplay.

Hopefully this answers your followup as well. Autonomy is a complex system with many inputs and is an example of a case where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top