Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Trash Plant, Trash Fruit... What the what?

mfQPhCE.png

My Sim had friends over after work one night. I didn't realize one of them had kicked over the trashcan in the garden. A few days later in-game I realized there was a pile of trash just outside the garden fence and told my Sim to go pick it up. My Sim suddenly stopped and gave me the "I'm confused, I cannot do this action" reaction. When I moused over the pile I realized it had stopped with the green vapors and was now and actual plant that had planted itself. I moved it into the garden and took care of it just like all the other plants then soon realized another one had secretly been growing against the inner side of the garden fence. After harvesting them for the first time, I got Trash Fruit.

The plant says it attracts flies so I was hoping this meant it kept bugs away from all the other plants as bug spraying takes up a substantial amount of time in gardening, which is already a big time consumer. But the other plants still get bugs from time to time. As for the Trash Fruit... I have no idea what to think. I know you can plant them (WHY?!) but that is about it. I cannot think of any reason to keep these.

Are they just something that happens cause it's just supposed to be some gag or do they have some sort of purpose? I'm just totally baffled by these things. Luckily the trash fruits (ew!) don't give a bad moodlet from being in the inventory. I am also hoping that it might turn out to be one of the best fertilizers in the game when (and if) their quality levels go up.

Comments

• kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    Oh wow that's pretty neat, gardening seems to be very much improved in sims 4 :) Although i'm not sure i'd want a smelly plant like that in my garden ;)
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Meg1_B2Meg1_B2 Posts: 519 Member
    Maybe it took the place of the trash compactor :)
  • moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    Apparently, it's one of the ingredients in cheesecake. EW Way to ruin the thought of cheesecake!
  • kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    moongodess wrote: »
    Apparently, it's one of the ingredients in cheesecake. EW Way to ruin the thought of cheesecake!

puke-smiley-emoticon.gif

kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Thats ......interesting...surprised-041.gif
  • MadilanlonaMadilanlona Posts: 123 Member

Okay no more cheesecake for my sims.
    Origin ID: Commandermadi
    https://simsgate.com - A new community for Sims players to unleash their creativity and showcase their creations without any hassle.
  • VampirspiegeleiVampirspiegelei Posts: 704 Member
    I found that out by accident.
    Repaired something and forgot to salvage the trash pile. Didn't want to interupt my sim's current action and moved it out on the lawn... where it sat for a day or two... with a trash plant growing.

Right now I have it evolved to Good quality - hoping something good will come out of it.
    Until now it only produces stench and unusable fruit that sell for 1§
    ... jinkies oO
  • AlorapopAlorapop Posts: 903 Member
    wow. I am gonna try that.
    tumblr_mvvt2iJ33k1slamnjo1_400.gif
  • ChubbyKatzeChubbyKatze Posts: 564 Member
    Bf6gJTI.png
    That's the only cheesecake I am aware of in the game, is there another recipe? My Sim is level 10 in Cooking and Gourmet. (I'm not bragging! :s I'm just saying I thought I knew all of the recipes!)

kovu0207 wrote: »
    Oh wow that's pretty neat, gardening seems to be very much improved in sims 4 :) Although i'm not sure i'd want a smelly plant like that in my garden ;)

I agree, the gardening is a lot smoother for me (I am a nut about gardening/fishing/cooking in all the Sims games for some reason) although I think the plants should be seriously toned down. It takes way, way too long to take care of a pretty small garden seeing as they start to dehydrate every single night.
  • Ace0fJacksAce0fJacks Posts: 58 Member
    The plant is nothin but garbage...
    @ChubbyKatze
    Entirely possible I'm mistaken, as I'm repeating what someone else said. My sim has mastered cooking, but she's still working on gourmet.
  • litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited September 2014
    kovu0207 wrote: »

I agree, the gardening is a lot smoother for me (I am a nut about gardening/fishing/cooking in all the Sims games for some reason) although I think the plants should be seriously toned down. It takes way, way too long to take care of a pretty small garden seeing as they start to dehydrate every single night.

You can overcome the time it takes to garden by grafting plants together. Im currently working on grafting all the fruit trees onto one tree, all the herbs onto one herb and so on, although you could actually graft every plant onto just one single plant over time. Each time you add a graft to a plant it knocks the plant back to seedling size so it needs to grow again before fruiting. So far my plantain tree also has lemons, pears, pomegranate, cherry, and apple growing on it. Your sim needs garden skill level 7 to take cuttings and graft. You can take cuttings from wild plants growing in the world, you don't have to grow it first yourself.

• Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member

Fun fact the cake IS a lie in this case . Cheesecake is in fact a pie .
    You can overcome the time it takes to garden by grafting plants together. Im currently working on grafting all the fruit trees onto one tree, all the herbs onto one herb and so on, although you could actually graft every plant onto just one single plant over time. Each time you add a graft to a plant it knocks the plant back to seedling size so it needs to grow again before fruiting. So far my plantain tree also has lemons, pears, pomegranate, cherry, and apple growing on it. Your sim needs garden skill level 7 to take cuttings and graft. You can take cuttings from wild plants growing in the world, you don't have to grow it first yourself.

My Sims are currently level 9 and 10 in Gardening. Whenever I cut from a plant that is not in my area (requires a loading screen), when I get back home the sample has no name (just says something like "a plant cutting" or something like that) and when I try to graft it to any plant of mine it doesn't show up and I'm also not able to graft anything else to that plant again, either.

Examples:
    gms3qSz.png
    7wMczc8.png

For whatever reason, I wasn't able to graft more than two plants together but I will try doing that now. Thanks for the advice ^^
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    Maybe you can use the fruit to go fishing! That would be great! LOL

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
    Mylita wrote: »
    Maybe you can use the fruit to go fishing! That would be great! LOL

Mylita

Fruit is listed as bait when I go fishing

@ChubbyKatze yes the cuttings are annoying when taken from the wild, as you say you cannot tell what it is. I had issues with grafting too, I think I worked it out though, you cannot graft a high quality graft onto a low quality plant, or at least something along those lines. I could not graft ANYTHING onto my apple tree, yet the plantain will take any graft. It may be due to rarity or quality or a combination but anyway try another plant and see what happens.
    @ChubbyKatze yes the cuttings are annoying when taken from the wild, as you say you cannot tell what it is. I had issues with grafting too, I think I worked it out though, you cannot graft a high quality graft onto a low quality plant, or at least something along those lines. I could not graft ANYTHING onto my apple tree, yet the plantain will take any graft. It may be due to rarity or quality or a combination but anyway try another plant and see what happens.

The problem is when I graft the generic sample onto one of my garden plants, it comes up blank. So instead of saying Apples and Grapes, in the description of the plants it just says "Apples". I am able to graft many things onto the Pristine types of plants though so that will be a huge help. I'm going to put all of the flowers on one plant, fruits/vegetables on another, herbs; etc. The mushrooms are the only plants I am not able to actually graft anything at all onto, not sure why. Doesn't matter what quality they are or the quality of the graft cutting either.

@ChubbyKatze
    Just checked my recipes on fridge. Exactly like yours, except it says "blackberries" instead of apples :/
    @ChubbyKatze when you grafted onto the apple tree did it knock the tree back to a seedling? if it didn't then the graft didn't take, if it did then you have a bug
    @ChubbyKatze
    Just checked my recipes on fridge. Exactly like yours, except it says "blackberries" instead of apples :/
    This might have to do with what your Sim either has in their inventory, fridge or both. I'm not sure though. I don't have blackberries anywhere on my lot is why I am assuming this. Does your Sim have Apples in their inventory or fridge?

edited September 2014
    @ChubbyKatze when you grafted onto the apple tree did it knock the tree back to a seedling? if it didn't then the graft didn't take, if it did then you have a bug
    No, the plant went back like all the others but because the grafting material has no name (look at the screenshots I posted of the comparison going from the park back to my house, the name of the plant is gone and it has a generic description even though it is the same cut) it can't specify the type of plant. I had assumed from the beginning this was a bug but it doesn't change the fact that I simply can't do it right now. :\
    Edit: Also to note, I was using an Apple Tree as an example. This would happen with any plant I tried to graft the unnamed cut onto.
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member

That makes perfect sense! I never met a cheese cake that wasn't trash :P
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
    No, the plant went back like all the others but because the grafting material has no name (look at the screenshots I posted of the comparison going from the park back to my house, the name of the plant is gone and it has a generic description even though it is the same cut) it can't specify the type of plant. I had assumed from the beginning this was a bug but it doesn't change the fact that I simply can't do it right now. :\
    Edit: Also to note, I was using an Apple Tree as an example. This would happen with any plant I tried to graft the unnamed cut onto.

This is what im trying to tell you! the graft has not taken, try it on another plant. It has nothing to do with the way it is named, almost all of my grafts have come from wild plants, so when I get them home they have no name just the generic name, BUT they still graft onto the Plantain. The Apple tree just wont accept them so stop trying to graft onto the Apple, try another plant.