Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Problems setting relationships in CAS

I have a large legacy family I remade for The Sims 4. The family consists of three YA siblings, their spouses and one sibling's teen son.

In the CAS demo, I made all the YA and set their relationships fine with no problems but when I added the teenager to the household in CAS when I got the full game, I had issues setting his relationship with his father (his father's wife is not his biological mother). The father's relationship list on the side showed his son as being his son, but the son's showed his father as being a roommate and it would not change when I tried to set it to father.

Eventually I gave up and moved the household into Oasis Springs. I looked at the relationship panel for the father and somehow, his son was showing up as his brother. I evicted the family, pulled my saved copy of them back out in CAS and tried to redo the relationships. This time, I couldn't set the father's relationship with his sisters. Same issue as before where I would click on Sister but it would stay as Roommate.

I'm really frustrated because there's no way I can play a legacy challenge with relationship issues like this. Any help or suggestions would be most welcome. This is the first serious problem I've run into with the game. I've been playing almost 24/7 since September 2nd and it runs beautifully with no serious bugs but this one is serious and I just ran into the problem today.

Comments

• KatelyynKatelyyn Posts: 14 New Member
    I made a post about this yesterday but got no answer. It's been happening to me as well and I'd really like a fix for it because as you said, it's really frustrating.
  • Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Thanks, I'll keep bumping this because I'm determined to get an answer, especially now that I know I'm not the only one this is happening to. Does it happen to you every time you make a family or just occasionally?
  • 3mmagreen3mmagreen Posts: 9 New Member
    edited September 2014
    Same issue for me. I noticed it when I moved out a few Sims from their parents house (all YA siblings as well) into different houses and those Sims then went to have children and the children did not show up as the grandchildren of the parents of the YA siblings. Then later one of the YA siblings had their mother listed as their sister. I really wish this would get fixed as its stopping one of the parents of the YA siblings to achieve his aspiration (one of the family ones requires four grandchildren). But I have a hunch it has something to do with moving families around. Hope this gets more vision will watch this thread!
    Edit: In the meantime I've found a fix (hopefully) haven't tested it yet but if you use Shift+CTR+C to get the cheat bar up and type testingcheats true and then press enter and then type cas.fulleditmode and then enter again and shift click on a Sim you can edit them in CAS with full functionality and edit the relationships. I will test when I get the time and post back on the results. Good luck!
  • getmattiegetmattie Posts: 15 Member
    I've had issues with this as well. You can create a child from two male sims, and set them both to the father, but when you get in game it sets one of them to either a brother or roommate.

Also thanks 3mmagreen for the cas.fulleditmode. I didn't know that one existed.
    No problem, but I've tested it and it doesn't solve the problem for me sadly. The option is still grayed out or doesn't select properly and wont change their relationships. It says can't change Sims that have already been created (or along of the lines of that). Tell me if it works for you though. Will keep looking for a fix in the meantime.
    This is going to be really problematic for legacy players yikes. Bumping this again because this NEEDS more attention so we can find a fix.
  • rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    I'm having the same issue, not in cas though. As my family grows the relationships mess up just like @3mmagreen. It's so frustrating I'm a legacy player too. And I fell in love with the family that's having the relationship glitch also spent hours playing their story. I hope it gets fixed. New patch please!
  • MilutinMujovicMilutinMujovic Posts: 1,188 Member
    And here we go all over again, just like in The Sims 3. Messed up relationships, broken family trees... Oh wait, there are NO FAMILY TREES! -.-
  • rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    And here we go all over again, just like in The Sims 3. Messed up relationships, broken family trees... Oh wait, there are NO FAMILY TREES! -.-
    I never experienced broken families in TS3 :(
    Anyone have any success fixing this yet? I'd really like a SimGuru to at least confirm they're aware of the problem.
    edited September 2014
    Still no fix but haven't had to much time to try stuff out, until then I'd try to avoid moving large Sim family's or trying to split up the family's as that seems to be what causes it, it may be saving in a weird way and causing the relationships to jumble up etc., before u save just keep checking the relationships are normal and then try to restart if anything strange appears again.
    Edit: The issue has the noticed by a mod (I think) so it may be looked into soon and hopefully patched!
    Source: The SimGuruGrant forum in the general discussion. Its mentioned on the first page in that thread.
    Okay well it's good that they're aware of the problem because that is a very serious glitch in the game. A new update was just released today but it seems it was to fix the distorted "demon babies" that a lot of people were having problems with. No mention of fixing the relationships glitch with family members on that update.
  • getmattiegetmattie Posts: 15 Member
    Yeah, upon further inspecting this today I found that another sim child that was born in the game, had her relationship with her mother set to sister instead. I hope they fix this issue soon, I would hope that it's a pretty simple fix.
  • 27033622703362 Posts: 2 New Member
    Someone please fix this!! It's so annoying! I have this same issue, my sims daughter became her sister and then her brother her nephew and her father the roommate??
  • Leo_GruenLeo_Gruen Posts: 468 Member
    Clearly this is a feature introduced to emulate the changing nuclear family. I'm not a legacy player but I do like the family portion of the game and this is one of those 'How did EA not notice this' kinda things. Oh wait, children were a rushed afterthought.
  • PrewinterPrewinter Posts: 48 Member
    I am having the same issue. I downloaded a brother and sister from a simguru's community page and brought them into cas to add a wife and child for the male. The child's relationships with her parents keep going all wonky. In CAS her father shows up as her brother with no available changes and her mother is her roommate. In the live mode her father is her father but her mother is her sister... o_O
  • Leo_GruenLeo_Gruen Posts: 468 Member
    The game seems to have trouble with families with additional members, such as a sibling to a parent.
  • scarletblood123scarletblood123 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited September 2014
    Hello!
    I discovered a fix whilst experimenting.
    I don't know if it stays this way because I've only just done it myself.
    You need to re-open CAS using cheats.
    1: Import a random sim from the gallery. If the broken parent is female, use a female sim. Same for males.
    3: Set the new sim as the parent of the children.
    4: You will see a warning sign appear on the other sims in CAS. They have all been wiped back to roommate.
    5:Edit the relationships as you please to regain parent/child relationships.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

If you are curious to know how I found this, I imported copies of my adult sims from the gallery. I then set the new copies as the parent and aunt. It just reset! I didn't even have to use the new sims at all other than that! Just delete them after.
    edited September 2014
    Thanks very much for your fix!! But our problem has been noticed and they have officially patched this bug! Its in today's patch notes (Can't provide a link at the moment haven't used these forums for long!)
    Edit: From the patch notes:
    Bug Fixes / Issues
    Fixed an issue with some gallery downloads that were causing the game to hang.
    Fixed several bugs that would result in incorrect relationship states between Sims.
    For players using the “cas.fulleditmode” cheat to go back and adjust Sims after they’ve been created, note that using this cheat will still allow you to manually select invalid relationships. Please exercise caution when changing relationships while using this cheat.
    The automated filtering used for Gallery uploads was unintentionally blocking the words “gay”, “homosexual”, or “homosapien”. It has now been fixed and these terms will not be blocked or prevented.
    Fixed a crash that would result if a block without walls was saved as a room.
  • chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    I'm still having this issue! It's really frustrating. Can this be looked into or am I doing something wrong?
  • jjohnson831jjohnson831 Posts: 3 New Member
    I just started gen 3 of my legacy family and suddenly have this issue!
  • JasonPogoJasonPogo Posts: 504 Member
    I have this as well. For some reason my sims son is now her brother. I even moved them out of the house and remade the whole family in CAS and it still won't let me make the kid her son....
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Have you tried using the console commands for editing relationships?

They can be found in TwistedMexican's cheat list.

The relevent bit to this thread is:
    A NOTE FROM TWISTEDMEXICAN REGARDING RELATIONSHIP CHEATS
    These may be used to counter several bugs, including the infamous mother-daughter/sister and father-son/brother bug in which an offspring becomes a sibling, and also a bug resulting in relationships persisting after death.
    ****A recent patch (09/09/2014) has been made to fix incorrect relationship states between sims.
    WARNING: Some users have reported issues when using these relationship modifiers and then entering into build/buy mode or manage worlds mode. Testing is currently being done to confirm a correlation. Use at your own risk!

First we need SimID's...
    Enter:

testingcheats true
    sims.get_sim_id_by_name yoursimfirstname yoursimlastname

This command will print a number at the end, similar to: 775464154248314888

Make note of this number, it's your sim's unique id, I recommend making a copy somewhere if you'll be using these commands a lot.

Then run the command again for the other sim you're wishing you edit relationships for:

sims.get_sim_id_by_name targetsimfirstname targetsimlastname

Make note of this sim's ID as well.

Destroy a relationship:
    Now we destroy the relationship (because were a horrible person;)):

relationship.destroy yoursimID targetsimID

Add Relationship Bit
    (This lets you modify the type of relations between two sims. It also requires sim ID)

relationship.add_bit yoursimID targetsimID relationshipBit

NOTE: You can not REMOVE a bit, you'll have to override it with another. For example setting family_husband_wife will override family_brother_sister

The available family relationshipBits are as follows:

romantic-Married
    family_husband_wife
    family_grandchild
    family_son_daughter
    family_brother_sister
    family_grandparent
    family_parent
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Mascutt2Mascutt2 Posts: 19 Member
    I am having the same problem accept that my family's daughter was born in game. I didn't even create her in CAS. She was born in game, and suddenly, as she grew older, and into an adult, that romance options were coming up with the parents. I sent them all back to CAS and realized she was not the daughter of either parent but was listed as a roommate. and same thing... I could not change it even using the cas.fulleditmode cheat, it just said: "Cannot edit pre-existing sims." Is there a fix yet EA?
  • tarynkaybtarynkayb Posts: 60 Member
    Ditto--also having this issue and the above console commands didn't work =/