Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 and Switchable Graphics: How To (Nvidia & AMD)

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    sassygray5 wrote: »
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Yes, I added the Sims program that is listed in the screenshot. I think maybe my laptop just uses the same card for everything?
    Yea I don't see an Intel chip are you having issues?

I was having some on a separate thread and was recommended to come here, but I believe it is just a bug with larger household sizes. Thanks for your help!

It seems like you don't even have an Intel Graphics card in your computer or it might have been disabled by the manufacturer. After you have added TS4 and click "apply", can you start the game and go back to your desktop while the game is opened in and see if you have your Nvidia card running it? It's in Step 8 in the quote that ceejay posted.

Some ROGS do have the intel chip disabled. If its disabled in bios then the game will 100% use the nvidia card.

Yes you're right. OP seems to have an ASUS laptop, so that could be the reason. :)
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Yes, I added the Sims program that is listed in the screenshot. I think maybe my laptop just uses the same card for everything?
    Yea I don't see an Intel chip are you having issues?

I was having some on a separate thread and was recommended to come here, but I believe it is just a bug with larger household sizes. Thanks for your help!

It seems like you don't even have an Intel Graphics card in your computer or it might have been disabled by the manufacturer. After you have added TS4 and click "apply", can you start the game and go back to your desktop while the game is opened in and see if you have your Nvidia card running it? It's in Step 8 in the quote that ceejay posted.

Some ROGS do have the intel chip disabled. If its disabled in bios then the game will 100% use the nvidia card.

Yes you're right. OP seems to have an ASUS laptop, so that could be the reason. :)

Yup if its a ROG and has not got optimus then its probably disabled.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• HammyxHammyx Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey there! @ceejay402 I tried your solution but for Sims 2, AND IT WORKS. Buuuut, I need to say something (2 years after; wow xD) does it work because it is bugged? Or it works BECAUSE IT DOES? Do I have to do it EVERYTIME I open the game? Because if that's the case but it works... I love you haha
  • girlysimxgirlysimx Posts: 2 New Member
    Emmm hi i have just started playing the sims 3 again because i reinstalled it back on two my computer and the graphics keeps going really weird 3D like colors. I have tried everything you said but when i get to the bit where you have to pick high performance-nvidia processor it does not come up as an option so i do not know what to do please help!
  • girlysimxgirlysimx Posts: 2 New Member
    @ewilson1114
  • Molly1_Molly1_ Posts: 2 New Member
    Well, I followed @ceejay402 instructions, but ts4 did not show up! And yes I have it downloaded. I downloaded it yesterday..... CAS demo works, but when I go on full version, the in game curser and music is the only things that work, everything else is black.... :# help!
  • PyrosandstormPyrosandstorm Posts: 19 New Member
    I'm very happy. My new laptop has Nvidia and Intel. I just checked after seeing this, and it actually auto-defaulted to my Nvidia card.
  • MHsimsFanMHsimsFan Posts: 154 Member
    Thanks for this tip. I only just saw it today and sure enough I was playing Sims on my Intel card. I can't wait to see the difference!!
  • MagickRedMagickRed Posts: 23 Member
    I saw TS4 on the drop menu but I didn't see the next step display like it says in Step 6. No option for preferred graphics processor. Please help.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited December 2016
    MagickRed wrote: »
    I saw TS4 on the drop menu but I didn't see the next step display like it says in Step 6. No option for preferred graphics processor. Please help.

Not everyone has the same control panel. Mine below is for desktop. Yours on laptop may or may not look the same. Make sure you add the game file to Nvidia control panel and use vsync. If you don't have adaptive for vsync, use on instead

aa03762d-0b8a-48ab-a6cf-9eca2c446f24_zpsr3imjd8n.png
    I have exactly what you have pictured here but it still doesn't want to run. *head scratching* Hmm..
    I have exactly what you have pictured here but it still doesn't want to run. *head scratching* Hmm..

I saw you posted you have a GTX 765m? I also have a laptop 770m and has the same control panel as my desktop. My laptop has the vsync adaptive option though many new laptops dont have adaptive as an option in Nvidia control panel. The game runs really plum on my gaming laptop. We figured out early on this game does not like 700 series laptop cards for some unk reason. Every computer is different so Im not going to tell you this is your issue.

you can try these different things individually or a combination of things.

Turn origin off in game http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/deactivate-origin-in-game/ see if the game will start

Play in off line mode http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/play-offline/

are you running the 64 bit version of the game? Try the 32 bit version .Some computers will not run the 64 bit version of the game even though someone may have enough ram and a 64 bit OS. EA needs to check into this issue but we don't know why it's happening

How do I run the 32-bit version of The Sims 4?
    If you are on a 64-bit version of Windows and would like to run the 32-bit version of The Sims 4, do the following:

Right click on The Sims 4 tile in Origin.
    Select “Game Properties”
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”

No luck, still error messaged. I did send a message to Origin but waiting reply. Thanks for help :smile:
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,567 Member
    No luck, still error messaged. I did send a message to Origin but waiting reply. Thanks for help :smile:

Hello
    Are you unable to launch the game when you receive the error message about your video card?
    If you aren't, try checking to make sure that your graphics drivers are up to date.
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling origin and see if that helps.
    I have spoken with a online EA advisor and he checked by dxdiag. He said my system is perfect for it but a driver that was installed was causing my issue. He said to uninstall the driver and redownload it from the nvidia website which I did, the problem still exists. The error message pops up when the game is about to start (white title screen). I just uninstalled origin and reinstalled it, still no luck. Gonna contact EA online support again and let them know what happened after last chat. This is becoming frustrating..
    I have spoken with a online EA advisor and he checked by dxdiag. He said my system is perfect for it but a driver that was installed was causing my issue. He said to uninstall the driver and redownload it from the nvidia website which I did, the problem still exists. The error message pops up when the game is about to start (white title screen). I just uninstalled origin and reinstalled it, still no luck. Gonna contact EA online support again and let them know what happened after last chat. This is becoming frustrating..

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having these issues :(

You should be updating your video drivers through your laptop manufacturer. Nvidia direct is for desktop and some of their drivers may not be compatible with your laptop card. Nvidia gives you warnings before downloading to check with your laptop manufacturer first. Some of the newer Nvidia drivers are having issues too
    I've been through three advisors (online support) and all confirm graphics cards is good to go. I've submitted dxdiags and msinfos and have received several solutions but none seem to work. SMH.

Could you take a screenshot of that error message so we know exactly what it is?

And also take a screenshot of your Nvidia Control Panel cuz I just want to know which step you're stuck at cuz you said there's no option for preferred graphics processor.
    832XG3D.gif
    Currently trying a reinstall of Sims 4. If this fails I'm gonna try a fresh install of Windows 10 or something similar as one of the solutions from everyone had to do with Admin (which I am). This laptop was a hand-me-down from my husband so there maybe something to do with identity conflicts. I dunno, willing to try anything right now..
    Currently trying a reinstall of Sims 4. If this fails I'm gonna try a fresh install of Windows 10 or something similar as one of the solutions from everyone had to do with Admin (which I am). This laptop was a hand-me-down from my husband so there maybe something to do with identity conflicts. I dunno, willing to try anything right now..

Okay, well before you reinstall Windows 10, you should post what I mentioned above cuz it might be time consuming to reinstall the OS and maybe that might not even be the solution.
    832XG3D.gif
    Righto. Brb..
    Righto. Brb..

Hello
    Because you aren't a member yet, you can't post pictures or links, but you can upload your pictures to a photo sharing site such as imgur or tinypic , then right click the picture on the photo sharing site and copy/paste the image address link here, but break the image code link up, such as putting h.tt.p.
    We can then put the codes back together and post the pictures for you.
    Nvidia Control Panel:
    h.tt.p://s1266.photobucket.com/user/MagickRed/media/Sims4Nvidia_zpsikhqpidx.png.html?filters[user]=146036887&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

Error Message of Sims 4:
    h.tt.p://s1266.photobucket.com/user/MagickRed/media/Sims4%20video%20error_zpsez8usldw.png.html?filters[user]=146036887&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

EA reps tell me my card is perfect to run. It seems the game thinks I have a different card. My PC just detects the NVidia card in Device Manager, no integrated card/adapter listed.