Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Digital Download

chrissie11778chrissie11778 Posts: 223 Member
I am considering buying the digital download of this game, would it be any different than buying the disk?

Please allow me to clarify, I know the difference between a physical copy of the game and a digital download, I am wondering if you receive any additional items by digital download or having a physical copy? Do you have to be logged into origin when you play the digital version? Meaning, if my computer is offline can I still play it? Any pros/cons you have with the digital copy I would like to know. Thanks!
cc4simscomindugledv.jpg
Post edited by chrissie11778 on

Comments

• simmadness24simmadness24 Posts: 828 Member
    No. Disks are physical, digital is digital...lol.
  • XaneritheXanerithe Posts: 275 Member
    One advantage of digital (depending on what country you live in) You can preload the game now and have it ready to go for release date, so all you have to do is press play, also if you go digital you get to play at midnight and depending on where you are you can play at 9 PM Monday night!
  • chococat9chococat9 Posts: 948 Member
    The only real difference is with digital, you don't need a disc to play the game and don't have to worry about losing your disc.
    fbb466ed-3c80-4341-94a8-f6b7439fcbce_zps74fe4b3c.jpg
  • Selena_SouleSelena_Soule Posts: 438 Member
    chococat9 wrote: »
    The only real difference is with digital, you don't need a disc to play the game and don't have to worry about losing your disc.

no you just have to worry about EA taking it away from you.. since if its digital it isnt your property... your just renting it and they can remove it whenever they see fit.
  • chococat9chococat9 Posts: 948 Member
    edited September 2014
    Well, I can't say that I've ever had that happen or know anyone who has. I've got tons of digital games on Origin and Steam and they're all still there.

Edit: Also, most of my console and handheld games are digital. I've always been able to redownload as needed.
    fbb466ed-3c80-4341-94a8-f6b7439fcbce_zps74fe4b3c.jpg
  • KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    Once you download, you've got it on your hard drive and presumably backed up elsewhere.
  • prettypony21prettypony21 Posts: 193 Member
    only difference is preload for digital. which is great if you usually have really slow internet!
  • poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member

no you just have to worry about EA taking it away from you.. since if its digital it isnt your property... your just renting it and they can remove it whenever they see fit.

If you do something worthy of a ban then it's kind of your fault you "lost" your copy. Never have I had a digital game's access removed.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2014
    While the game may be the same, The DL may have some form DRM like it was with Sims 3 DL where you had a limit that you can install, whereas with disc you can install on as many computers you want, but only play on one at a time.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • KHRFan4everKHRFan4ever Posts: 39 Member
    I might do this on Tuesday if I can't find it on the shelf on Tuesday at Walmart.
    sims4sig001.png
  • mewsistermewsister Posts: 137 Member
    I was actually going to wait and buy the physical copy from my local game store, but now I've gone for the DD.
    You can preload it so you can play straight away when its released, and you can return it for a full refund within 24 hours of launching the game if you find you don't like it.
    This is the first DD I've bought, if I decide I want the physical copy as well I can always wait until it comes down in price, and let my brother use the disc if he wants :)
    what-doth-love-be.gif
  • chrissie11778chrissie11778 Posts: 223 Member
    > @mewsister said:
    > I was actually going to wait and buy the physical copy from my local game store, but now I've gone for the DD.
    > You can preload it so you can play straight away when its released, and you can return it for a full refund within 24 hours of launching the game if you find you don't like it.
    > This is the first DD I've bought, if I decide I want the physical copy as well I can always wait until it comes down in price, and let my brother use the disc if he wants

This is actually what I was thinking of doing as I always like to have a physical copy of the game. I can wait until it goes down in price.
    cc4simscomindugledv.jpg
    > @prettypony21 said:
    > only difference is preload for digital. which is great if you usually have really slow internet!

I dont have a slow connection, but I would like to preload in case there is a mad dash on tues with digital downloads, who knows if the servers will handle that well....
    cc4simscomindugledv.jpg
  • prettypony21prettypony21 Posts: 193 Member
    > @chrissie11778 said:
    > I don't have a slow connection, but I would like to preload in case there is a mad dash on tues with digital downloads, who knows if the servers will handle that well....

yea , i personally recommend the digital for preload because the last time i got something on release date ( ts3 university in digital format) it took ages to download and install ! after it install, the play button on the launcher wouldn't work. I was unable to get a refund and ended up buying the physical at walmart and the game finally worked. I was like bruh " i just wasted an extra $40 on an Ep
  • mewsistermewsister Posts: 137 Member
    > @mewsister said:<br />
    > I was actually going to wait and buy the physical copy from my local game store, but now I've gone for the DD.<br />
    > You can preload it so you can play straight away when its released, and you can return it for a full refund within 24 hours of launching the game if you find you don't like it.<br />
    > This is the first DD I've bought, if I decide I want the physical copy as well I can always wait until it comes down in price, and let my brother use the disc if he wants<br />
    <br />
    This is actually what I was thinking of doing as I always like to have a physical copy of the game. I can wait until it goes down in price.
    Exactly. The stores near me are charging $70 for the Limited Edition and around $95- $100 for the Premium Edition. Collectors Edition was at $120 :o .
    I wanted to get the Premium as it came with the extra content but the Digital Deluxe is slightly cheaper ($89) and comes with the extra content as well :D .
    I also didn't want to chance going all the way to the shops and finding out they only have the Limited on shelves.
    I can start playing the DD at midnight and play until I drop from exhaustion :p
    what-doth-love-be.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

Or disc getting scratched or damaged, or if your optical drive breaks. (The optical drive issue is why I went digital because it's been acting wonky and not sure when I'll have a chance to take it in for repair.)

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    My understanding is, that once you register it on Origin, you can now download it from there, if need be.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    In my case, if I opted for physical, I would have to wait until it gets delivered to my country. With digital, I just had to pre-load, and play at the launch day. So I went with digital.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums

Or disc getting scratched or damaged, or if your optical drive breaks. (The optical drive issue is why I went digital because it's been acting wonky and not sure when I'll have a chance to take it in for repair.)

I never thought of something like this happening, but it makes good sense.
    cc4simscomindugledv.jpg
    I don't get why someone would hit 'disagree' when the OP edited her original question which was "what's the difference between the digital download and a disk? Either way, whatevs...

The digital download comes in a limited edition or a digital deluxe edition. The Limited Edition just has the game. The digital deluxe edition comes with extras like up all night content, a tikki bar, and some cute animal hats and TS4 music track. The disk comes with 3 choices of the limited edition, the premium (which gives you a mini prima guide, up all night content, tikki bar, cute animal hats, and TS4 music track. These are physical copies. Also, if you purchase it at a store you can get physical perks like gum and a light up plumbob keychain, etc.

The collector's edition (which I believe is not available in the US but can be delivered online if you buy from a seller and pay the VAT fees) comes with all of the premium edition features including a light up plumbob light thingy that you can plug into your USB port. If in a few years you cannot access the game virtually (license runs out, etc) then you're stuck. If you buy a physical copy you will have it forever with the code. This question has been answered and asked so many times a simple search would've given you the answer. Is that more clear?
  • JuanGartnerJuanGartner Posts: 39 Member
    I think physical's better, If you can buy it, do it! cause you can have both digital and physical if you introduce your code on Origin.
    09-04-14_1-35%25C2%25A0AM-2.png
    I usually always buy the physical copy but this time I'm buying the DD and will order the Collector's Edition online later just to use it as a collector's item. I don't plan on opening it ever unless in case of emergencies :)
    I think physical's better, If you can buy it, do it! cause you can have both digital and physical if you introduce your code on Origin.

This is normally how I have purchased all the sims games, but I did buy showtime in the digital form and haven't run into any glitches. I will most likely buy a physical copy of the game when it goes down in price, maybe if it is bundled with an expansion later.
    cc4simscomindugledv.jpg
  • LadyMissJenniLadyMissJenni Posts: 44 Member
    I've been debating the issue myself. As a matter of a fact, I was just discussing the digital download versus going out to purchase the disk at midnight with my husband. I came into the thread to see what people had to say that might influence my decision one way or the other.

I'm torn between playing it an hour sooner or having the little plumb-bob key chain which I'm not even sure I'll get with the physical copy since Walmart.com said it was a pre-order thing.
  • JellyEyesJellyEyes Posts: 354 Member
    edited September 2014
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    While the game may be the same, The DL may have some form DRM like it was with Sims 3 DL where you had a limit that you can install, whereas with disc you can install on as many computers you want, but only play on one at a time.

That's something that makes me nervous about a digital download.