Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• Options
    Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    Very interesting challenge @BuildnShare. One question, must there be 4 separate homes, or one home built out of 4 containers?
  • Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    @Issabella14 - One home built out of four containers :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    kezflakekezflake Posts: 124 Member
    Interesting sounding new challenge, good luck to all the other contestants from challenge 14 :) they're all so fab <3

A few questions:

About the budget, we have $25,000 for the interior, I'm assuming this means the entire lot needs to come in at under $25,000 in the gallery?

An interesting deadline, just slightly after GTW release :D , so can we make use of the new build mode features available? I'm not suggesting I posses the patience needed to wait that long but, hypothetically, if I did...
  • Options
    @kezflake - yep, it needs to come in at or under $25,000 in the gallery. And of course if you have the patience to wait, you can use the GTW features :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    This sounds really fun! My husband works in shipping so I feel like this should give me an advantage but it doesn't haha! Good luck everyone!
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• Options
    @lisa17ann - I look forward to seeing what you come up with!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    countrykris1playcountrykris1play Posts: 155 Member
    edited March 2015
    I have a feeling there is going to be lots of questions on this one. I hope we can all get timely responses.

My question is, do all the exterior walls have to be part of the shipping container or can they be connected by a regular wall?

Ex. This home has two containers on the side connected in middle by wall.
    shipping-container-home-plans-australia.jpg

And in regards to price.

kezflake asked: "About the budget, we have $25,000 for the interior, I'm assuming this means the entire lot needs to come in at under $25,000 in the gallery?"

So it does not have to include lot cost?

Also is there no room challenge this time?
  • Options
    @countrykris1play I will, of course, endeavour to respond to any and all questions in a timely response, however, as I am in the UK and also working now, it may be 12 hours or so before I respond to a question, I hope that this meets your expectations.

As for the budget, the shipping containers are 'free', so you just need to keep account of what you spend once you have them built. But yes, the landscaping does need to be included within that $25k budget. So the gallery price will probably be a little more than $25k. As for the layout - feel free to add walls, roofs, windows, center areas. Whatever you want to do to turn these containers into a beautiful house is your choice.

And no, sorry, no room challenge this time around.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    countrykris1playcountrykris1play Posts: 155 Member
    That's fine on time, It was just that last challenge there were some that went unanswered or were not answered till a few days gone by.

As for the cost, I understand landscape is to be included but what I meant is the cost of the lot it's self.
  • Options
    kezflakekezflake Posts: 124 Member
    edited March 2015
    @BuildnShare thanks for your reply, I understand now as I was confused by the containers being free.

I've got the game open and just tested a 4x10 room box with floor and ceiling and with no trimmings and this cost me £1,680 and while i could just x 4 on this I'm thinking as we will all place our containers differently it will be different for us all.

If part of this challenge is to share a picture of the build as the containers are stacked before they are renovated then this would be a good time. to take note of what the value is then allow that value on top of the $25,000.

@countrykris1play I was wondering about joining the boxes too with wall too but didn't know how to describe lol, I'm glad we can do this.
    Post edited by kezflake on
  • Options
    CalindaB1987CalindaB1987 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited March 2015
    Here is my container set up!
    s870.photobucket.com/user/Calindab1987/slideshow/Plan%20View
  • Options
    NhicksNhicks Posts: 1,580 Member
    uuh oooh. I started my build but didn't take a picture of the containers first. how bad it that? @BuildnShare Also, is landscaping more important than the interior?
    Find Me In The Gallery! MzHicks #MzHicks
    ~My showcase thread~
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/814744/mzhicks-builds
    How You Liven - A Peek Into YOUR Sims World
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/887032/how-you-liven#latest
  • Options
    gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    Quick question.... are there any specifications as to how many bedrooms and/or bathrooms?
  • Options
    lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    I'm finding this really hard to keep in budget and make it nice lol ugh I'm going to go insane :D
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• Options
    @countrykris1play - No, the lot cost is not included in this challenge, we just need to costings to be within budget after the containers are placed.

@Nhicks - We need to see how your containers are placed, try just taking a top-down view with the walls down maybe? And landscaping is no more important than the interior.

@gmcrozier - No specifications, full creative freedom!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    I'm off to bed now and have to take my mum to Hospital in the morning, so any questions from now on, probably won't be answered until later on tomorrow. Have fun!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited March 2015
    It's been a while, but I don't think I can resist this one! I do have a couple of questions:

The cost of my containers separate and in the raw came to $6720 on the Gallery. Can anyone else confirm this for theirs?

In experimenting, I can see that if you combine the containers, the cost drops, since the game gets rid of the walls that divide the structure. Thus, combining the containers (the closer, the better) would be pretty advantageous to ones budget.

Edit: I originally suggested the option of having a set cost of 6,720 + 25,000 = 31,720 as the budget, but it's not that simple. I think that the only fair way would be to have each person check the Gallery cost on their configuration (before starting any styling), and they then add that amount to the 25k for their Gallery total. So it is going to be a different total for each person. Someone who keeps all containers separate (something I'm doing), is going to have $31,720 as their total. Someone who joins containers is going to have a lower amount.

And one last question, I'm assuming the "free" shipping containers are supposed to be unstyled, or do we get basic exterior styling as part of the freebie?

Thanks!
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    NhicksNhicks Posts: 1,580 Member
    My cost was the same
    Find Me In The Gallery! MzHicks #MzHicks
    ~My showcase thread~
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/814744/mzhicks-builds
    How You Liven - A Peek Into YOUR Sims World
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/887032/how-you-liven#latest
  • Options
    have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    This is what I did:

03-19-15_9-11nbspPM.png

$6420. Oh, and that's just cheap paint and I may not keep this arrangement. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    You've got shared walls though, @have2admit, which would bring the cost down. If you have each container separated, you should get $6720 as the cost, plus and additional amount for your paint.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    You've got shared walls though, @have2admit, which would bring the cost down. If you have each container separated, you should get $6720 as the cost, plus and additional amount for your paint.

Maybe we should suggest to @BuildnShare to make it an even $7k for everyone. That should settle it! :)
  • Options
    BryonyRae wrote: »

This settles the container costs, but what I really need to know are we suppose to furnish interior as well? :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Guys - we trust you! There is no need for us to set a limit on how much you spend on the containers, just keep a track of the budget as you go. As long as you spend $25k total after your containers are built, you are good to go :)

@BryonyRae - You will need to include exterior treatments in your budget ;)

And @Issabella14 - yes, the interior does need to be furnished :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @BuildnShare, I apologize for my ignorance, does the lot's value be included with the $25k or is that additional. This is a tuff one. :)

Edit: for eg. I saved my lot to library and the cost is $34,001k. Breakdown - containers, I rounded to $7k, lot is $2k, the build $25k, which gives me a total of $34k. Is this acceptable.
    Post edited by Issabella14 on
  • Options
    @Issabella14 the lot cost won't be included in the Library save.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top