Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In the Valley of the Sun - a Sims 3 horror/suspense story - completed 2/21/10

MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
Lilith Parker is working at the local paper, announcing births and birthdays and deaths. One morning her boss Shannon gives her a more exciting assignment – research the local haunted house and write an article on its history. Nice flavor for Halloween, right?

But then Shannon turns up dead the next day, the local townspeople seem intent on keeping the story of the haunted house a secret, and Lilith is being haunted herself. Will she survive?

If you want to start from the beginning, you can click on Beginning and click through the story from there - look for the link to the next bit at the bottom of the post.

I also made a story index.

UPDATE

Just wanted to let any Valley readers know that I am somewhat consistently updating 10, the story of Seth as a teen, now.

Here's the blurb for it:

Seth Morrigan is a loner. He has his herb garden, his alchemy, his experiments and tinctures. These are enough.

Until he is beaten up by bullies. Until Caitlyn Wilson takes an interest in him. Until the perfection of time and space begins to crack.

10 Story Index

Oh, I also changed the theme and the header on the blog.

10 is not a Sims story, because Valley did everything I wanted to do with the medium. I can't top it and I don't want to try. So I moved on to new challenges and am learning how to write without pictures.

This one is a bit more...adult than Valley. Seth may be 15, but I am trying for a realistic 15 which means the occasional cursing and so on. If it was a movie, it'd be at least PG-13.

/UPDATE

Valley Chapters

Beginning
Morning
Meeting
Sunset
Legend
Nightmare
Static
Breakdown
Trip
Help
Fog
Rocks
Shadow
Flame
Ashes
Night
Dust
Daydream
Silence
Suspect
Rotten
Fire
Death
Alone
Water
Diary
Waffles
Alive
Strings
Dark
Seeds
Watcher
Angel
Interlude
Empty
Light
Flood
Firewater
Ending

Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.

Comments

• Options
    fieryfemalefieryfemale Posts: 1,593 New Member
    edited July 2009
    That story is brilliant. I have just sat and read it all.

good work.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wow, thank you! :) Being an author is my LTW, and so the comments really really mean a lot to me.
  • Options
    SimEveSimEve Posts: 4,772 Member
    edited July 2009
    Extremely well written. I couldn't stop reading.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thank you! Like I said before - that really means a lot. Actually I do think that when I'm done with it I'm going to take the bones of the story and try to flesh it out as an actual full text publishable sort of thing.
  • Options
    racncone123racncone123 Posts: 1,138 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I can't wait for the next installment!
  • Options
    BennjoonBennjoon Posts: 1,909 Member
    edited July 2009
    This story is amazing. Really well written the humour and the horror is subtle and the storyline keeps you reading. I love how you have made the story inclusive of parts of the game the deathfish etc. I found the bit in the breakroom really creepy reminded me of japanese horrors such as the grudge.

This was my favourite bit:

“Today I came back from the dead and made funny lights at my house and trolled all the townspeople, lulz.”

I laughed so much.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    racncone - Thanks! Hopefully I can start taking the pictures for the next bit tonight, or at least fix Bella's hair - I aged her up in CAS before I thought to use the hair options to make them gradually go gray.

Bennjoon - Wow, thank you. That's certainly a compliment. Oh yes, the plot is built around things in the game. Which is why if I do take the structure and write it into a text story it may end up looking very different.

You know, I've never seen The Grudge or any of the movies like it except The Ring. Maybe I should.

Yeah, I liked that bit too. :)
  • Options
    Jojo777Jojo777 Posts: 21,909 Member
    edited July 2009
    I love this story!

Can you keep posting on this thread when you update so us devoted fans will know when a new chapter is out? Please!!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Jojo777 wrote:
    I love this story!

Can you keep posting on this thread when you update so us devoted fans will know when a new chapter is out? Please!!

Sure. :) I hadn't thought of it but I could bookmark this and treat it like the thread on Boolprop - edit in new chapters and reply to bump it up when it's updated. I could keep changing the pic too. Thank you for that idea.

And I'm glad that you like my little story. :) I love it and am really enjoying creating it (as evidenced by the fact that I've kept updating it for over a month now and average two updates a week - my later Sims 2 stuff tended to die after one chapter) and so it makes me happy when other people share my enjoyment.
  • Options
    MaxCaliforniaMaxCalifornia Posts: 131 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Bookmarked! This is relaly cool! The first chapter just has me already!
  • Options
    HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited July 2009
    Finally a decent story! These are hard to find around here nowadays. Thanks! I bookmarked your blog.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I 100% meant what I said you have real talent you should push to achieve your LTW! (I dont fink they give u teleporter tho :<
  • Options
    AsanteAsante Posts: 1,812 Member
    edited July 2009
    Oh that's just wow... I actually don't like stories, but yours is really awesome!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    MaxCalifornia - Thanks! I'll email you a reply to your comments on the blog. :)

Hejix - Thank you! I think that the lack of posing hacks and CC and various other things is keeping most of the storytellers in the community away from Sims 3, but I never really used posing hacks or CC much in TS2 either so I just dived right in. Sims 3 fits my style very well.

Bennjoon - Awwww, I'm about to cry now. I really do think that I will try - this story just seems to be the one that wants to be told and I am totally in love with it and when I'm done I'm going to rewrite it as a short story or novel and learn about the publishing business and all of that and see what I can do. I'd rather die knowing I tried, you know?

Asante - Yay thanks! I'm glad that you decided to check out my story even though you don't usually like them and that you found it enjoyable. :) I'm all blushy and happy now.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nooo dont cry! Here is cat in a crab hat no way you can cry after that.

dsc_1015.jpg?w=320&h=240"height=300,width=600"

Bookmarked your story btw. :) Jason is kinda hot :oops:
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yay cat in crab hat! That is a very cute picture. And very timely - I may actually be adopting a new cat tomorrow. I don't think I'll put a crab hat on her though. :)

I just uploaded Lilith to my page. As for Jason - err, he's very very slightly modified from the last sim in the sim bin. I thought he was just going to be a bit character who'd really only be in the first chapter and maybe just show up every now and then when I made him, so...
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    yeah I noticed him there in the sim bin hehe. The personality you gave him is very cool :)
  • Options
    FadedNoveltyFadedNovelty Posts: 401 Member
    edited July 2009
    First sim story I've ever read and if they're all like this I'll have to start reading them :-P Can't wait to see where it goes! Good job :)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    First sim story I've ever read and if they're all like this I'll have to start reading them :-P Can't wait to see where it goes! Good job :)

Thank you! I'm honored that you chose my story to read as your first Sims story.

And ooh, I love your sig! :)
  • Options
    ZombieScout13ZombieScout13 Posts: 417 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Absolutely fantastic. I know why everyone else is giving such massive praise. I could not stop reading. I need to know what happens next...Im dying inside lol.
  • Options
    AlisoxAlisox Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited July 2009
    I never used to like anything resembling horror or suspense until Harper's Island aired this past year, and this definitely increases my appreciation for the genre even more. Excellent job, I loved it. Can't wait for more!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ZombieScout - Wow, thank you! I will try to have the next update out soon - my goal is Monday but hopefully before then. I'll update this thread when it's out.

Alisox - That's certainly a humbling compliment. I'll have to check out Harper's Island.
  • Options
    icrawbeansicrawbeans Posts: 201 New Member
    edited July 2009
    This is unreal! Fantastic job! You obviously took so much time making screen shots just right--kudos to you :P

Your pictures are fabulous, the story is very professional, and now I am dying to read the rest of it. Please say you have more coming soon?!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    icrawbeans wrote:
    This is unreal! Fantastic job! You obviously took so much time making screen shots just right--kudos to you :P

Your pictures are fabulous, the story is very professional, and now I am dying to read the rest of it. Please say you have more coming soon?!

Wow, thank you. :) I got to know my way around camera mode in TS2, so that's a bit of an advantage.

My goal for the next update is Monday, but I generally get them up before I think I will.

And the professional bit really means a lot, as I do want to try and publish something eventually. For now though I'm really invested in this story and in love with it and am just enjoying telling it and sharing it with people. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Two updates, all fresh and new. :)