Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All Around The World in 80 Days - Christchurch, New Zeeland

LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
For the "All Around The World in 80 Days" challenge I got assigned Christchurch New Zeeland. And this is the result from my 'trip' to Christchurch. Hope you like it.

Some fact about Christchurch

- Officially it's the oldest city of New Zeeland as it became a city on the 31st of July 1856
- It is the biggest city on the southern island of New Zealand
- The name comes from Chirst Church, Oxford. By John Robert Godley (1814-1861)
- Maori's had settled there since at least 1250 (although stories say 1000)
- In 1850 the first 4 ships arrived with 792 English immigrants, called the "Canterbury Pelgrims"
- Population of 366.000 (estimated 2013)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNUTXNhDaWgC5yX_g9C6G7SUSYUgEvVR5lSth7dF_Tabe1r_qH

Architecture

Gothic revival is the most common style in Christchurch due to the influence of the English immigrants. That causes the city to feel relatively European. It is a style that originated in England and is a style that is romanticized, with references to nature. The houses of parliament in London are a great example of this style (Big Ben)
800px-Westminster_Palace_2.jpg

Because of this style it is some times called "the most English city, outside of England".

Culture

Maori

in 1850 792 English immigrants arrived in Christchurch. Before they arrived the Maori were the inhabitants of the area. According to the Maori and findings they arrived somewhere around 1250. The Maori weren't the original inhabitants of New Zeeland either. They arrived from eastern Polynesia a few centuries before the Europeans, and have taken over the land from the true natives.

The religion and believes from the Maoris origins from eastern Polynesian cultures. But with the arrival of the Europeans they adapted Christianity. These days many Maoris are Mormons or Maori christian groups such as Rātana and Ringatū. But there are also large groups of Catholics, Anglican and Methodist, and a small group of Maori Muslims.

Europeans
Since the immigration in 1850, the group of Europeans in Christchurch (and New Zealand in general) has grown a lot. With these immigrants came along a whole bunch of western culture. That is visible to this day. The architecture is "English" (Gothic revival), The language is English (and Maori). And let's not forget, Queen Elizabeth II is the Queen of New Zealand.

75,4% calls them selves European
12,9% "New Zealander" (although this is not an official ethnic group)
7,9% Asian
7,6% Maori
2,8% Pacific Island
0,8% Middle east/Latin America/Africa
<0,1% Other

The city

1/3rd of the city excists out of parks, community gardens or recreational terrain. Because of that it is sometimes called the "Garden city of New Zealand".
Hagley Park is probably the most well known park. it has a surface of 180 Ha. and is the biggest and one of the oldest parks in the city. They had reserved it as city park in 1870 and replaced the natural vegetation with European ones.

Cathedral Square
At the centre of the city is Cathedral Square, it's the heart of the city. The square is surrounded by old buildings and biggest attraction, the Christ Church Cathedral.
It is an Angelican church and build during the second half of the 19th century.
450px-ChristChurchCathedral1_gobeirne.jpg
During the earthquake in februari 2011, the cathedral got greatly damaged. And in 2012 they made the decision it could not be renovated anymore. They demolished the parts still standing and a new church has been approved. Previous earthquakes in 1881, 1888, 1901, 1922 and 2010 had damaged it before.

ChristChurch-Cathedral-proposed-concepts-all-options--supplied.jpg
I believe the third image will be the new cathedral.

But before that cathedral is build, they needed a transition cathedral. That one has been build from cardboard and has a very cheerful design.
Christchurch-Cathedral-2.jpg

Build

Now we are getting to my build.
As I thought it was a shame the city has lost such and iconic feature. I thought I would try to recreate it with some inspiration of the transition cathedral.

I tried to create a Gothic revival church with some happy colours in them. That are normally not in a Gothic revival design.

Exterior
14321466624_c57a4958e7_o.jpg
14135515490_3c63fdedb8_o.jpg
14318787791_089fffe243_o.jpg

Layout
14298983426_920a97d1f5_o.jpg

Interior
14135591837_1db7d080d0_o.jpg
14135464598_7e3bb52317_o.jpg
14320333762_91c55e1bd7_o.jpg

I have set it as a small park in the Sims 3, so you can host parties there, including a wedding.
A link to download this lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8252563
And for more screenshots (including a few of my Sims wedding): https://flic.kr/ps/2HWuzb
Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    edited June 2014
    Your Christchuch build and report are great Lebanna ! :) It was great reading details about Christchurch , and then seeing pictures of the real life Christchurch Cathedral. It was not good when it got damaged as a result of the earthquakes. It was great to see both the pictures of the original Cathedral and the transition Cathedral, and it looks very nice how you have based your build on the original Cathedral and at the same time brought in aspects of the transition one , with your use of the colours.
    Your simversion of the Church is very nice! :) Very nice exterior of it! The roofing and tower looks great! It looks great the types of windows that you have used. It looks great that you have placed the coloured squares on the front and back exterior walls, to resemble the colours of the transition Church. The colourful balloons at the front entrance to the Church and in the back area of the Church are great for the wedding that is taking place there. Very nice back area outdoors reception area. Sims will enjoy sitting and eating at the tables there after the wedding ceremony, and have fun dancing to music from the stereo on the dance floor. They will enjoy having food from the buffet table.Great layout and furnishing of the interior of the Church! It looks great how you have placed the pews. The red carpet aisleway down the middle of the room looks great. It looks nice how you have placed flowers at the ends of each of the pews. The bookcases beside the edges of the first pews look great there. The candlelights on the side walls look nice and suit well the type of build. Very nice front area of the Church where the wedding arch and altar are. It looks nice how you have placed a table there with books and flowers on it. The flowers at the base of the wedding arch look nice. It looks great how you have placed the two seat benches either side at the front facing towards the table. It looks great how you have done the graveyard with the placing of the tombstones and urns.The flowers beside the tombstones are nice touches. Great office area or place where sims may go to sign the wedding registry book. It looks great how you have coloured the curtains there, to represent the transition Church. Nice patterning of the floor mat there. It looks great that you have placed bookcases there to line the walls. Very nice pictures of your sims getting married at the Church! Everyone looks happy ! It is a nice picture of the married couple enjoying having a dance at their reception after the wedding ceremony.
    Very nice build! :)
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited June 2014
    Interesting idea to add bits of color to the build. I loved learning about Christchurch and New Zealand in general.
  • AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member
    edited June 2014
    Great work !!! Rec :thumbup: :D
  • YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited June 2014
    Love the church Lebanna! :thumbup: Nice interior
    and the exterior looks great too : the tower is great!
    Rec'd of course :) ~YJ~
  • snowdove58snowdove58 Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited June 2014
    Christschurch looks like a beautiful place to live or visit. I Think your church is great and I especially like the graveyard part. In old graveyards, most graves are different from each other and decorated usually by the prominence of the family.Good job!
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited June 2014
    Thank you for the lovely words Rose :) glad you liked it.

And thanks you YellowJane and AIRIS6962 for the recommendations.

ciane glad you liked learning something :) I had fun learning bits about the city and the country too!

Snowdove, Thank you. I like the graveyard too, even though I don't think the Christ church cathedral had one, I couldn't leave it out. And I decorated it so that either the grave was older, or with family visiting still.

• CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited June 2014
    Oh it's so pretty! I love church builds and I'm crazy about gothic architecture. The outdoor areas are lovely too. :D
  • walkingstickwalkingstick Posts: 4,637 Member
    edited June 2014
    Fab report and lovely church :thumbup:
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited June 2014
    Aw! Thanks Walkingstick!

• yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited June 2014
    Nice report! I enjoyed reading it! Good job with the church too. Left you a recommendation. :D
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    edited June 2014
    Great work on your report! and you did a really great job on the build too. The outside reception area looks like a fun place too.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• MeaganJoMeaganJo Posts: 4,343 Member
    edited June 2014
    Thank you so very much for taking all of us on a trip to Christchurch, New Zealand! You did a wonderful job on everything, already rec'd. :mrgreen: