Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One-a-Week Poetry Contest: Week 1 - Acrostic Poetry - CLOSED

Hello All! April is here, I am excited to announce that my Annual Poetry Contest is ready to start. Last year was so much fun and I've gotten some requests to do it again, so here we go!

I can't dedicate every day like I have in the past, but I can do one a week.

So the rules have been tweaked a bit because of this:

There will be one poem a week for 4 weeks, each week, the community will vote for their favorite poems and the winner will be announced and win 1000 sp. (Figure since I'm spacing it out, might as well up the ante!)

So, let's break this down:
Every week you will have to do two things:
1. Post a poem
2. Vote for your favorite 2

Now, some of these poems will be hard, some will be easy.
    Every Monday, I will post a theme for the week. If you can write your poem about that theme, you get an extra 250sp. Also, every week there will be a different style, if you follow that style, you get an extra 250sp.

And Yes, you may hold off on collecting your winnings until the end. There is a potential to win up to 6000sp (might be more...the last week might have a surprise)!

For style: Acrostic Poetry

Acrostic Poetry is where the first letter of each line spells a word, usually using the same words as in the title.

For theme: The Sims

You have until Saturday to write and post. Sunday and Monday is for voting. Tuesday, winner will be announced.

Week Two
14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited April 2014
    Rules:

You are not allowed to negatively criticize another's work. Construct criticism is always appreciated though! So if you have something to say, the first sentence better be nice!

Also, you DO NOT have to play every week. This is just for fun and you should feel free to participate with any poem you like (as long as you wrote it). Your submissions do not need to follow the theme or the style. Winners are based on votes!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Winner:

TheLessy with 1500 pt

Let me know if you want it now or later!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Other
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I shall post later with a theme and a style.

You are welcome to comment and talk amongst yourselves.
  • Options
    walkingstickwalkingstick Posts: 4,637 Member
    edited April 2014
    I'm looking forward to this! I'm a terrible poet but I know from previous lurking that there are some really great poets among the simming community. I really enjoyed reading everyone's poems last time.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited April 2014
    so if we don't fit the style or theme we can stile take part... jsut not win as big?

in that case I might share some older poems if nothing ticks an inspiration
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    mjdrgnptmjdrgnpt Posts: 303 Member
    edited April 2014
    Yay, it's back! I wrote some good poems thanks to this contest last year. Even if I don't win anything this time around, I look forward to reading the entries. :D
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited April 2014
    I like the idea of one a week. More time to think about something and tweak it. :)

And, oh my, Blythe, you are SO generous! Thank you for running this annual poetry contest during poetry month.

I love reading all the poems.
  • Options
    IMeepIMeep Posts: 1,635 Member
    edited April 2014
    Yay! So happy! I'm liking the size of those simpoints. Thanks for hosting Bly! This will be as fun as last year!
  • Options
    ForeverFranconiaForeverFranconia Posts: 2,154 Member
    edited April 2014
    I guess I can give this a go, I need more confidence in my poetry.

but I have to say I am nervous, poetry was something I almost gave up.
  • Options
    Jojo777Jojo777 Posts: 21,909 Member
    edited April 2014
    Thank you so much for hosting this! I've written poetry in the past but not so much in the last few years, and with recent events in my life I think it would be nice to turn to writing again. So thank you for this opportunity :)
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited April 2014
    Im in . Ive writen poetry about everything from games to coffee . Um might i suggest a rule that you cant vote for your own poem though , there may be a bit of a bias in voting in that case .
  • Options
    MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    edited April 2014
    Agreed with Coffefreak about that voting thing.

Also, here are my questions! I am seriously looking forward to this.

First off: If I have a poem that fits the theme, but it is old, may I use it? My poetry has only been seen by my teachers and at least one or two friends...

Second: Even if we create poems for the theme, can we submit old poems just so people can see them? Like, they don't count for the contest just sharing them.

Third: How many times can we enter?

Thanks for hosting this!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Here we go.

For style: Acrostic Poetry

Acrostic Poetry is where the first letter of each line spells a word, usually using the same words as in the title.

For theme: The Sims

You have until Saturday to write and post. Sunday and Monday is for voting. Tuesday, winner will be announced.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I've actually never seen someone vote for themselves...that would kind of defeat the purpose of this contest/game. But if you feel that your poem was that exceptional and no one else's could match it, then please feel free to vote for yourselves. Also, I require two votes per person, so even if someone were to vote for themselves, it still wouldn't really give them an edge.

I'm all about the honor system and this is more of a fun salute to the month of Poetry! I would hope people would participate in the same spirit that I host this.

As for how many times you can enter, hmmm, good question. You may post as many as you like, but a person can only vote for one of your entries. So even if you share 5 poems, I can't vote for you twice. Does that make sense?

You can let everyone know which poem is your official entry...but you don't have to.

You also can't share the same poems every week. And you can share any poem you've written, no matter when it was written - so long as YOU wrote it.

Edit: for typos and an addition note.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

SIMS
    Simmers we will always be
    Indeed no normal gamers could you call we
    Many simmers many types of craft
    So if you're not a simmer you must be daft
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    thank you
  • Options
    PurpleAthenaOwlPurpleAthenaOwl Posts: 101 Member
    edited April 2014
    This is so cool! :mrgreen:

Plumbobs

Plumbobs floating above sims heads
    Lovely green in color I'd never want them other
    Unless of course they were smaller
    Maybe the sims wonder about the plumbob floating above
    But I think only we can see
    Our sims lovely emerald diamonds floating above
    But sometimes I wonder very seriously if we perhaps are
    Sims with emerald plumbobs over our heads
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    edited April 2014
    Your Plumbobs poem is written well PurpleAthenaOwl :) It made me think about the plumbobs above our sims heads. They really are a very nice shade of emerald green.
  • Options
    LaramoonlilyLaramoonlily Posts: 199 Member
    edited April 2014
    I love poetry :D I'm not very good at writing it but I figured I would give it a shot! I love baking and with the new set coming I ended up writing about it.

The sims

Talking and cooking
    Having a laugh
    Every sim day
    Spatulas are raised
    Iron chefs these sims are
    Maybe they can have their own bakery
    So until then they dream of cookies and cake
    Ch%206%20Winning%20sig%20Laramoonlily.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Your bakery and cooking theme of your poem is great Laramoonlily ! :) It is especially nice with the new bakery set coming out in the Sims Store this week. Our sims do have a lot of fun doing cooking in our games ! It is great watching them enjoying preparing and cooking the different of meals and snacks. It is a great poem that you have written. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Just a little poem from me :)

THE SIMS

Talking to fellow simmers from around the world on the forums each day
    Having a look at their creations makes a smile on my face stay
    Each build, each Sim, has a story behind it
    So much time is put into designing, building, furnishing bit by bit.
    It is exciting to open up a forum thread and discover a new build or sim in a post.
    Making simming friends is what we all like the most
    Saying a big thankyou to everyone for the delight they bring to me and my day!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    LaramoonlilyLaramoonlily Posts: 199 Member
    edited April 2014
    Thank you rosemow for your kind words, they always brighten my day! You have written a very lovely poem that I think most simmers would agree with. :)
    Everyone so far has written great poems and I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with! :D
    Ch%206%20Winning%20sig%20Laramoonlily.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    rosemow wrote:
    Just a little poem from me :)

THE SIMS

Talking to fellow simmers from around the world on the forums each day
    Having a look at their creations makes a smile on my face stay
    Each build, each Sim, has a story behind it
    So much time is put into designing, building, furnishing bit by bit.
    It is exciting to open up a forum thread and discover a new build or sim in a post.
    Making simming friends is what we all like the most
    Saying a big thankyou to everyone for the delight they bring to me and my day!

Not a bad poem the meter seemed to fluctuate a bit however so for a rhyming one it didnt feel as smooth as it could have . I look forward to seeing more from you though poetry is always fun to read .