Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some things I'd like to see in the store

I had another thread or two going in Ideas & Feedback, but it's been suggested that this forum is more active so I have a better chance of getting it seen here. To make it easier I'll just give short descriptions of my ideas and include the links to my old thread(s) for quick reference.

Premium Content Items

Writing Pads & Notebooks

A low cost alternative to buying a computer for sims who are just getting started in their writing career. There actually used to be a mod for this that used the same blue notebook that kids and teens use for homework but sadly, the last time I checked it'd been in limbo for s while. Also, being able to purchase a CAStable notebook might be a fun idea as well, since school supplies are regularly styled in bright colours and funky patterns so that students will want to buy them.

Writing Pad Interactions:

-Practice Writing/Refine Writing Skill
-Start novel/Continue working on <x>
-Start article/Continue working on <x>
-Write letter

Notebook Interactions:

-Write journal/diary entry (owner)
-Doodle in notebook (owner)
-Rant about life (owner - relieves stress/boosts fun a little)
-Read diary (other sims - owner will get the embarrassed moodlet upon discovering their diary has been read)
-Blackmail (another sim) - Threaten to expose the contents of a sim's diary (if they own one) whether you read it or not.
-Doodle in notebook (other sims - owner will get the embarrassed moodlet upon discovering their diary has been read)

Typewriters (Electric & Classic)

Another low cost alternative to a computer, complete with old fashioned ticking and dinging noises on the classic model.

Interactions:

-Practice Writing/Refine Writing Skill
-Start novel/Continue working on <x>
-Start article/Continue working on <x>
-Write letter(?)

Printers

Instead of our sims purchasing the books they've written themselves, they could print off a coverless manuscript that could be read just like a book. Sims who are journalists could print off (and READ) copies of their stories and articles in much the same way.

If your sim is an artist, perhaps this item could come with bundled graphics software, meaning your sim can make digital paintings from their computer (if a printer is nearby). These could be started and resumed in much the same way paintings on easels are. Also, finished prints could be framed or sold.

Interactions:

-Print Novel (Only if sim has writing skill)
-Print Article/Editorial/Opinion Piece (Only if sim is in the journalism career)
-Print Picture (Can only be used if sim has finished a digital painting)
-Print Photo (Used to make copies of photos on your camera)

Snack Bar

This would be virtually identical to the Barista bar (ideally right down to the ability to spawn an NPC) except that it would serve snacks that sims could put in their pocket and eat later, like the chocolate bars that came with University! Also, individual bags of chips, candy (popcorn) and nuts.

Fountain Drinks

Home_Soda_Countertop_Dispenser.jpg

There could be one built into the snack bar, but it'd be highly recommended to include a standalone machine for home use! Even if it didn't count as an amenity, it'd help us to create better restaurants and fast food places! Lots of irl venues have them, even bowling alleys.

Popcorn Machines

Similar to the cotton candy machine, it would come as both a countertop model and a cart. When combined with the snack bar, it would allow NPCs to sell popcorn! Also worth noting, it'd be nice to have the popcorn as an edible inventory item, so if they want to go and eat popcorn during a film, they can!

Hotdog Grill

Remember those rotating grills that produce evenly cooked 'dogs every time? A countertop model would be fun at home, while a standalone would be great for festival lots!

Cotton Candy Machines

Same idea as the snow cone maker/popcorn machine, but with an element of the chocolate fountain. When you pour in a certain colour of 'sugar' the next few sims after you can enjoy that flavour.

Tumbling Mat

cm48_R_1549f0f4.jpg

'Tumbling' as actually a sporting event in itself. Did you know? :-)

Basically, competitors take turns doing all kinds of flips and jumps. Active kids love floor mats anyway because they get to run out on them and do cartwheels, somersaults and flips (if they can manage) and the floor is soft enough to cushion their fall so parents can let them walk on their hands and land on their heads to their hearts' content :lol:

Of course, floor mats are also used by practicing gymnasts!

back-bridge.png

Balance Beams

DSBE-08-LG.jpg

They come in varying heights, but I've only ever used small ones. Really talented gymnasts can do flips on them, frontwards or backwards!

High Bar

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQZbFOlA9as5VKPEX4JLD0_4UTT9oPr0i0bwubCxhY0-jVEiuacw

Mainly for swinging and flipping and occasionally casting off and somehow catching yourself again! Although I suppose a playground version might just be used for hanging upside down on...

Ribbons & Batons

varydance1.jpg

14917577-a-portrait-of-a-girl-performing-baton-twirling.jpg

Not just for cheerleaders and marching bands! Heck, cheerleading involves a bit of gymnastics in itself, so if this came with a set a marching band style cheer outfit might be a nice CAS asset to include. I've also got a whole thread full of images for possible gymnastics/figure skating themed outfits/bodysuits :wink:

Although with a gymnastics skill, maybe some of those crazy showtime/KPST outfits could be put to good use again!

Arcade Machines

Once you accumulate a few eps/sps (like Late Night, Showtime, Supernatural University, etc.) you'll have a good selection of arcade machines to fill up a venue with. Although there were a couple of classic ones that I felt were left out, such as racing games...

ford-arcade-game.jpg

Dancing games (and licensing probably isn't an issue considering the number of titles that use similar dance platforms)...

ddr.jpg

Air hockey (MY FAVOURITE ARCADE GAME! Especially on a neon table like this!)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGpqkMpy9WVJmZdXoFCDQxMvF5PctLxl_-m9WuS2BEPPPHXiL5

and various reflex games, the more LED lighting the better!

davebustersv3460x285.jpg

Strength testers (hopefully bigger than this one), actually I'm sure the simmers wanting carnivals would get a kick out of these...

kidstriker%20game.jpg

Maybe hile we're at it a couple of those booths where you either fish for stuff or chuck a ball at some cans to try to knock them over for prizes, such as fluffy unicorns! :lol:

despicable.me..88.jpg[img][/img]Doctor bags & Makeup kits

Basically, any kind of 'pretend' playset for kids. They usually come with a few toys modeled after real tools and items and might help kids get an early start on their career someday (such as doctor bags).

Ball Pits & Modular Indoor Playgrounds

huge-indoor-playground.jpg

indoor_playground_for_amusement.jpg

indoor_playground_richmondhill2.jpg

indoor-playground-ballpit.JPG

3-SLIDES-MPPS-ROLLER-SLIDE.jpg

I'm sure you all know the type, if you've ever been to chuck e cheeze or some equivalent!

Variations on existing items

These wouldn't require extra programming because they'd be based off of items that already exist in the game.

Computers:

We already have a growing selection of computers, but styles seem to be limited to either laptops or all in one flatscreens. However, even the icon in the build/buy interface seems to nod at there being towers. We did get a classic flatbed with a CRT monitor (and another one in a 'lord sponge' motif, if you were able to download that before it was removed) but there hasn't been one since.

hwzo10.jpg191k45.jpg

I'm not sure if this was a conscious choice made by the creative department because flatscreens are very popular and it would eliminate alot of desk clutter, but the truth is some gamers really do take pride in the appearance of their gaming rig, even installing custom LED backlighting of various colours for a hint of personality. Custom cases are often styled after tanks, game consoles and racecars to make them look powerful, fast, and above all REALLY cool :wink:

I'm sure an aggressively styled laptop or two would also be quite welcome! Alienware had some really inspiring designs on their website last I visited, backlit keyboards and everything!

More will be added as I think of it...

Comments

• Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited September 2013
    Oh. I would totally buy gymnastics equipment, and a ball pit!
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    AgileDramaAgileDrama Posts: 16 New Member
    edited September 2013
    ldmarko wrote:

I would, too! It would keep my Sims more AGILE :)
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited September 2013
    Great ideas!
  • Options
    chopin27chopin27 Posts: 764 Member
    edited September 2013
    Yes, more arcade machines, please. :D
  • Options
    SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited September 2013
    AgileDrama wrote:
    ldmarko wrote:

I would, too! It would keep my Sims more AGILE :)

That reminds me, someone also suggested parkour(?) a while back, but yes that'd definitely keep them agile :lol:
  • Options
    tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited September 2013
    I like your ideas, especially the writing one for the technophobes! :)
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Options
    CPLe12345CPLe12345 Posts: 177 New Member
    edited September 2013
    Something I wish was included in Showtime: A stage for Sims to perform stand-up comedy and (ventriloquism if you have a Ventriloquism Dummy in their inventory.) There could even be a Ventriloquism skill.

Oh. And also would like to see the Skydiving Simulator from TS1. Associated death is optional, but encouraged. :twisted: Not like there aren't Store items that can kill Sims anyway. (Cowplant, anyone?)