This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Done with The Sims 3 and this Franchise (resolved?)

Comments

• Options
    sc038sc038 Posts: 364 New Member
    edited June 2013
    not to be snarky, but you obviously aren't done with the sims franchise if you are still posting on the forums!! and to prevent crashes; SAVE! if u save like every half hour the game wont crash! hope tht helped!
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited June 2013
    *hugs* for Weealbet! It's so nice to see all the simmers trying to help and offer advice in this thread! There really are some great people in this community!!! :D

I hope something works for you soon. And hopefully this thread will have helped other people too. <3
  • Options
    techqueentechqueen Posts: 137 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Playing the sims 3 pets broke my first laptop, but I still love the sims too much to stop playing it! :lol: I have a MUCH better computer now. :roll: :lol:
  • Options
    Trouble1122Trouble1122 Posts: 3,517 Member
    edited June 2013
    Out of curiosity, is the op's computer a labtop or desktop? Cause according to the mod the sims site, those are for desktop graphic cards, so the 630oem is different from the 630m. So if OP has a desktop, then I would say it's the graphic card. If he has a labtop, I don't think it's the graphics card. I also have a 630m and have played seasons and UL with no problems minus two crashes that were mod related.
  • Options
    KaelKael Posts: 2,197 Member
    edited June 2013
    While many have pointed out that your graphics card is outdated since fast lane you might also want to check your FPS as well. Because sims 3 has no FPS limiter it can end up overheating and crashing your PC(or worst case, frying your graphics card) if it is trying to run the game at a really high frame rate. There is an FPS limiter you can download for this if it is part of the problem.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,701 Member
    edited June 2013
    Did you even read this thread? "If you don't buy IP you'll be missing out." Where does this even come from? He clearly said he's done with the Sims 3 so what makes you think he's trying to be persuaded to buy the newest EP full of bugs and glitches?

Don't worry Cat, we know by your thousands of thousands of threads and post on this website and simsvip that you'll be buying everything EA makes. If they made toilet paper you'd probably be the first to preorder and question if the toilet paper would have a design of waterfalls and sims doing a new toilet kiss.

WOW that is really rude,

He s just jelouse of my polarity on the forum so I guess he figured he d be rude.

That should say popularity.
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited June 2013
    piddlesim wrote:
    If you have the GeForce GT 630 DDR3 or GDDR5 graphics card, then that is your problem. According to mod the sims and a microsoft's gaming site... those cards can not handle seasons or university.

I know of a person who had this card. They experienced a lot of lag and crashing after installing seasons and uni. After reading on MTS about the problems with that card, they switched to a different video card. They haven't had a single crash or error since then.

The problem wasn't the game or EA at all, it was the graphics card.

A link to MTS graphic card info page:

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

I wouldn't say that chart at MTS was accurate at all. I have the GeForce GT 520 which is one of the red cards on that list and it works fine.

I'm assuming the OP is using a laptop? I'm basing this assumption on the "M" designation on his video card.

simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    frenchpoodle777frenchpoodle777 Posts: 842 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Did you even read this thread? "If you don't buy IP you'll be missing out." Where does this even come from? He clearly said he's done with the Sims 3 so what makes you think he's trying to be persuaded to buy the newest EP full of bugs and glitches?

Don't worry Cat, we know by your thousands of thousands of threads and post on this website and simsvip that you'll be buying everything EA makes. If they made toilet paper you'd probably be the first to preorder and question if the toilet paper would have a design of waterfalls and sims doing a new toilet kiss.

WOW that is really rude,

He s just jelouse of my polarity on the forum so I guess he figured he d be rude.

That should say popularity.

*She

YES that must be it.

I'm obviously jelouse of your polarity. :oops:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    turistas9turistas9 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited June 2013
    i know the feeling.

many time i raged ,at the bugs in this game, and specially when they know it, and try to cover it up. sadly im finish off the sims 3 (even tho, island paradise look mad choppy underwater).. will i be buying the sims 4 .. nope not unless they learn how to fix bugs faster.

i wonder why they still never fix the leaves issue, and the snow on cliffs issue. i hate seeing outside of map cause of the snow on a hill :S
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,701 Member
    edited June 2013
    French the misspell was because of my phone so you can't get me on that.
  • Options
    JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited June 2013
    sc038 wrote:
    not to be snarky, but you obviously aren't done with the sims franchise if you are still posting on the forums!! and to prevent crashes; SAVE! if u save like every half hour the game wont crash! hope tht helped!

I'm curious how that works. What is the game doing during the save routine that prevents it from crashing?
  • Options
    PearlDiva2PearlDiva2 Posts: 370 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I will not argue with you OP.
    There is no need to argue how you feel or the points that you have made.
    You are justified in feeling upset, frustrated and unheard. Especially in a loyal community where it seems almost impossible to relieve the pain and frustration of loving something and hating how it's handled or made (EA).

I agree with your dissatisfaction.
    To the point when simmers get excited about the Sims4 I just laugh.
    I will not be getting the sims4.
    I LOVE the sims3 way too much and feel like I haven't had enough time to fully enjoy every inch of it. Yet I become slightly worried because I see what they have done to the sims2 and shutting it down and I wonder how long will they do the same to the sims3 because of the sims4.

I just feel they are moving a bit too fast. Expansion pack here, store set there, new world here, all with glitches and things that need to be fixed that would require play testing.
    We are not the play testers. We are the customers. We deserve to be treated as customers. And when customers are unhappy do something about it.

I feel that because so many people love the sims and don't want it to end they will refuse to see that using their dollars to purchase the games casts their vote in saying yes I will accept sub par merchandise. But then again who would have known Aurora Skies would look that horrible? What simmer would believe that they would get a game full of glitches and need to run to the forums in order to fix their games. But burned once shame on me. Burned twice shame on you. Promise there will not be a third.
    Even the patches come with glitches.

so here's what I do. And I don't say this as a way to advise other people what to do. You are very capable of finding something that works and satisfies you. This is just want I do now. I stop pre ordering. I stop buying worlds. I stop buying store content. And I download everything (cc related only) for free. And I don't plan to support the sims4 by purchasing it. And I enjoy the game and what I have on my terms. On the bright side it has helped me become very savvy with computers.

I still feel it's ok to love the sims and disagree with EA at the same time. That's life full of contradictions.

I hope that through your simming days OP you will find simmer peace. Whichever way that is seen. May you be heard and well received.

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,942 Member
    edited June 2013
    Out of curiosity, is the op's computer a labtop or desktop? Cause according to the mod the sims site, those are for desktop graphic cards, so the 630oem is different from the 630m. So if OP has a desktop, then I would say it's the graphic card. If he has a labtop, I don't think it's the graphics card. I also have a 630m and have played seasons and UL with no problems minus two crashes that were mod related.

That is the bit that is confusing me too.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

If the OP is still reading, I would also be interested in hearing if the game crashes every time you start a new town, or if it's just when you load a specific saved game.

That would be one of the first things I'd check, if you're serious about troubleshooting the problem.

simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hi. As Glic pointed out, I have a laptop, not a desktop. I've reformatted today and I'm currently in the process of reinstalling the game.

My problems with the game have only started in the past few weeks. I tried recording a Lets Play series but encountered some problems with the game crashing. The crashes only ever occurred while I was recording. If I wasn't recording I was playing the game for several hours at a time with absolutely no problems. I was also able to play the game with everything on the highest settings and never once encountered lag, slowdown or anything if the sort.

I only started to encounter frequent crashing problems after installing the patch yesterday. I removed my The Sims 3 folder and let the game generate a new one but still encountered the same issues. I first tried playing in Sunset Valley where I was playing with the new foundation features, and then moved on to Aurora Skies to do the same. After about 30 minutes of building I went to Map View to save the game and encountered the Error 12 message. I am familiar with what it is, but I have never encountered it personally in the years that I have been playing The Sims 3.

I also play on a laptop stand with three built in fans and my temperatures are on average about 37C. The air which is released through my vents is also rather cool. There is some heat, but my Xbox 360 generates more heat than my laptop does.

I am still installing the games, so I haven't had the chance to try and see if it is working.

People are also missing the point if what I have been saying and assuming that I am mad, angry or whatever. I am none of these, I am upset, sure, but I am not angry. I have watched the series grow over the years and invested a lot of time and money in the franchise. I do not want to see it fail, quite the opposite.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited June 2013
    Deshong04 wrote:
    YZJay wrote:
    I don't know if this was posted since I just jumped straight to the third page, but how much memory does The Sims use? Is it limited or does it use every memory available in the PC? If it's the former then is there a way to modify the game to use more memory to avoid some of the lags crashes and cussing since most of the time my game crashes due to insufficient memory, which is 4GB.

I think a lot of my crashing is caused by my 4 GB RAM as well. It's no good for gaming and at minimum at least 8 GB is what I learned is standard but the 16 GB should do even better for thinking ahead.

Currently my gaming laptop uses around 3.20 GB more or less when I play TS3. Yeah, it's getting pretty hectic. :x

Plus I have all EP's/SP's and maybe 45 to 50% more or less of The Store.

And I have preordered IP and plan on also buying ITF and the movie stuff pack. I just feel like my laptop is saying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oG0aXhHH4U
    I've heard that Sims 3 uses a lot less RAM than it should.

Isn't there a way to make the game use more RAM?

I don't know, I'm not that computer literate but I heard the way the game is programmed will not use more than 4 GB, which means it only runs for 32-bit systems when 64-bit systems are better for gaming and just better in general...or so that's what I hear/read about. Which reminds me to research to see if my laptop can be upgraded with RAM.

Let me ask here: Anyone know if Toshiba Qosmio X505-885 can be upgraded with RAM?
    Win 7 64-Bit
    Intel Core i5 2.4 GHz
    4 GB
    500 GB HDD
    Nvidia Geforce GTS 360M
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think that laptops CAN be upgraded, but it is difficult.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited June 2013
    Aw, don't go, Weealbit. I love you tons and I'll miss you so much. :(

I know it's frustrating, but, well....you'll be missed around the forums.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Weealbet wrote:

Depends on the laptop, depends on the upgrade. Generally speaking, RAM is the easiest thing to upgrade. Upgrading the video card is usually impossible, but you really have to check the documentation that came with your specific laptop. There are just so many different models out there.

As others have pointed out, upgrading RAM may not have any effect on the game's performance since the game won't utilize all of it anyway.
    simsig_willwright.gif

-Honeywell
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited June 2013
    Glic2003 wrote:
    Weealbet wrote:

Depends on the laptop, depends on the upgrade. Generally speaking, RAM is the easiest thing to upgrade. Upgrading the video card is usually impossible, but you really have to check the documentation that came with your specific laptop. There are just so many different models out there.

As others have pointed out, upgrading RAM may not have any effect on the game's performance since the game won't utilize all of it anyway.

Found the answer over at Tom's Hardware...they are so helpful and amazing. :mrgreen:

I can upgrade my RAM and the max is 8GB. I have two 2GB installed now, so I'll buy two 4GB in a set and just install it myself since the 'do-it-yourself' instructions/video is so easy...I can handle it. :P

My video card is a low High-End card. I can play TS3 on all high settings but not maxed out but it's very good.
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GTS+360M

Even though TS3 will not use more than 4 GB, I am still going to upgrade because 8 is better than 4 and is recommended at minimum for gaming anyway plus this will give me a little experience with laptops, although I'm planning to build a gaming desktop some time later.

I thought maybe 16 or 32GB but from what I'm hearing is that is too much because games of today use the 8GB and it's still enough left over. Like I figured, the higher/highest RAM is for those with massive programs like 3DS Max/Maya, etc. So when I build my gaming desktop I'll just stick with 8GB and just upgrade when the time comes for that but from what I hear/read 8GB is more than capable for gaming. In fact, doesn't the PS4 use 8GB too? Hmm...

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/

I'm going to be a smart shopper and only build what I need and nothing more and still get amazing performance, lol. 8)
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Trouble1122Trouble1122 Posts: 3,517 Member
    edited June 2013
    Weealbet wrote:
    Hi. As Glic pointed out, I have a laptop, not a desktop. I've reformatted today and I'm currently in the process of reinstalling the game.

My problems with the game have only started in the past few weeks. I tried recording a Lets Play series but encountered some problems with the game crashing. The crashes only ever occurred while I was recording. If I wasn't recording I was playing the game for several hours at a time with absolutely no problems. I was also able to play the game with everything on the highest settings and never once encountered lag, slowdown or anything if the sort.

I only started to encounter frequent crashing problems after installing the patch yesterday. I removed my The Sims 3 folder and let the game generate a new one but still encountered the same issues. I first tried playing in Sunset Valley where I was playing with the new foundation features, and then moved on to Aurora Skies to do the same. After about 30 minutes of building I went to Map View to save the game and encountered the Error 12 message. I am familiar with what it is, but I have never encountered it personally in the years that I have been playing The Sims 3.

I also play on a laptop stand with three built in fans and my temperatures are on average about 37C. The air which is released through my vents is also rather cool. There is some heat, but my Xbox 360 generates more heat than my laptop does.

I am still installing the games, so I haven't had the chance to try and see if it is working.

People are also missing the point if what I have been saying and assuming that I am mad, angry or whatever. I am none of these, I am upset, sure, but I am not angry. I have watched the series grow over the years and invested a lot of time and money in the franchise. I do not want to see it fail, quite the opposite.

Then I don't believe it's your computer. There is some build and save crash that is somehow seasons related. Not sure what the work around is, maybe someone else knows.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Just an update on what has been going on. In an earlier post by Karritz, it was suggested that I look at a game file (I think it was called DeviceConfig). When I was looking at it I noticed that the game was running off of the integrated graphics card installed on my laptop (not my dedicated Nvidia Geforce GT 630M graphics card).

I back my files up often (onto an external hard drive), so I looked into the past DeviceConfig file from the previous months. At some point in the past few weeks my game seems to have stopped using my dedicated graphics card and instead was using only the integrated one.

Confused by this I looked (where I could) to see what the other games I had on my laptop were using. All but The Sims 3 was happily using my 630M graphics card. None of them were using the integrated one. I tried to force my game to use the 630M graphics card, but it wasn't having it.

When I tried linking to it and opened the game all of my settings were reset (which I expected). I then got a pop-up telling me that my graphics card was not recognised and that all settings have been set to the highest.

I popped into the Options menu to check and the game had put everything down to the lowest setting. I have never seen this before and previously the game has put everything between medium and high (when using the integrated graphics card). I tried to change everything up a little to test what was happening but it was not happening.

I would move the sliders and click accept and go check them again only to discover that everything had been put back down to the lowest setting. I closed my game down and looked at the DeviceConfig file and it was supposedly using the 630M card, but I'm not too sure.

I opened up some of my other games (Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Left 4 Dead, The Witcher) to see how these games were faring. All of them were exactly as I had left them. I played with the games a little and there were no problems with them at all, they all appeared to be running as normal.

I ended up reformatting my laptop and reinstalling all of my games again and fired up The Sims 3. I closed it down after it loaded and checked on the DeviceConfig file. It is using the 630M card. I open the game back up again and check the settings and all of them are at the highest (minus the resolution, it always puts it at 1024x768 at the start for some reason). So I change it to my native resolution of 1920x1080 and start a new game in Twinbrook.

I had been playing the game for just over an hour, and the game time went up to Friday I believe. There were no issues with the game at all, I also think that the graphics were improved from what I have been seeing for the past few weeks too, but I can't be too sure. Rendering times were instantaneous too, compared to the longer rendering times I have been seeing lately.

So, long story short. I haven't a clue what had happened to my game. It may have been my game, it may have been my laptop. I don't know. All I know is that I find it odd that the ONLY game that this was effecting was The Sims 3 and none of my other games of programs.

I am reinstalling my Store content now and hopefully the game will continue to work as it did before a few weeks ago. If it does, then I will gladly continue to support The Sims 3.

I also want to also say a thank you to the people who have offered their kind words and tried to help.
  • Options
    sofie981sofie981 Posts: 486 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hi Wheealbet :wink: I to have been on the brink of calling it a day, but now when a New patch is released i simply give The Sim 3 file in my documents a new name like The Sims 3org and download the patch manually (the super patch from simsvip, as i can keep it for later) and starts it with a doubble click on the patch-icon, it installes the patch without starting the launcher and after it's done i restarts the Laptop goes in to my doc- Electronic Arts and rename The Sim 3org to The Sim 3 and start the game by rightclick on the sims3 icon and tells the game to use the grafic-card Nvidea and the launcher works and the game too. Was worried before i got into the game im currently playing but all seems to work well. A little lag but i hunt for trapped sims/animals and fix the lots that have traps, it might be flowers near a pavement or a bridge, and the extra-fountains in the dragon valley festval lot (i just moved the fountains with moveobjects on in to the big fountain and deleated the poolparts that trapped sims (even my own :mrgreen: ) put floortiles to cover the grass and make the pattern seem complete). I wish that the store team could have run a few playtests to see if sims got trapped on lots cause it tires me out to be running around the worlds to see why the game starts to lag again. But i take breaks from the sims3 game and play sims2 to keep sane. Good Luck and hope you can get the game to work right. (I have all ep sp and all of the store on a brand New Toshiba with 560 gb free of 920 gb with win8(witch i HATE :twisted: )
  • Options
    prettyminotaurprettyminotaur Posts: 262 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Cali3234 wrote:
    Put down your purse lady...nobody is trying to rob the spotlight from u...he also stated that he played the game for awhile and that sims 3 seasons was causing the crash...

Wow...sexism much?
  • Options
    piddlesimpiddlesim Posts: 3,251 Member
    edited June 2013
    To the OP: I had a laptop do the exact same thing after a windows update. The sims 3 stopped using the high performance dedicated video card.

Here are instructions to reset it if you need them in the future:

You have to whitelist the game

In the NVIDIA Control Panel, under the 3D Setting > Manage 3D Setting

On the right side of the screen

Select the Global Setting tab
    under "Prefer graphic processor" Select "High Performance NVIDIA Processor"

Now click on the Program setting tab

click on "Add" and navigate to wherever directory your game is installed and select the exe file for your game.

Then click on "Open" and after you done the adding, under the 2. Select prefer graphic processor for this program select "High Performance NVIDIA Processor" then click "Apply"

This link explains it much better and has pictures.

http://www.howtogeek.com/136123/htg-explains-what-you-need-to-know-about-nvidia-optimus/