This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Done with The Sims 3 and this Franchise (resolved?)

Comments

• Options
    LindsaySue2LindsaySue2 Posts: 121 Member
    edited June 2013
    My game works....kind of.... Unlike the original poster I haven't had any crashes for awhile. And when I did crash it was entirely me,overheating issues. But that doesnt exclude the very software specific issues that have not been fixed for sometimes well over a year. I think some of the frustration is over the same advice given over and over again. It's your system, it's mods, it's cc. And when people have proof to the contrary the standard response is that they will file a report/ ticket and nothing ever happens. That is very, very,poor customer support. The game is great. I wouldn't keep dumping money into if it wasn't. But using photography as an example, if I pay money for The WA EP and photography is a skill that comes with it and I can't complete photography challenges because of some glitch in the game, shouldn't they fix that? When did WA come out? How long as that been a issue? See what I mean. I've been waiting for that fix for awhile. That is just one example, I am aware of many more.

Again to recap, I've been very through with my troubleshooting. I exceed the min requirements, and my graphics card is up to date. I also did a complete uninstall, then reinstall, with no CC or mods and these issues still existed. I know people get defensive about the game, I understand, I love this game too. But there is complete legitimacy in being frustrated with the issues that come with it. Maybe as a true fan the poster was just trying to bring the problems to light so that they may finally get resolution. I know others have tried but maybe this time it will work. Maybe this time it will all be different. Maybe...maybe...
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    Angellulu wrote:
    Ok. This is what helped with with crashes.

Got to Control panel ---> write in System ---> Choose "View advanced system settings" (under system) ---> go to top "Advanced" ---> Click "Settings..." under Performance ---> then click at top "Data Execution Prevention" (DEP short)
    > Click circle "Turn on DEP for all Programs and services except those I select" ---> click Add... ----> Find the latest Sims 3 file (its kinda difficult, it should be like TS3W)

How to get to TS3W.... Click "Add..." Button ---> at top go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ ----> Click Game ---> then Bin ---> Scroll down until you find the TS3W ---> Click it and then "Open" ---> It'll bring you back to screen ---> Then do the same to add TS3 and TS3Launcher ---> Click OK. Now you'll need to restart computer for it to take changes.

https://help.ea.com/ca/article/dep-settings-for-sims-3-on-vista-and-windows-7 Has basically the steps I told you, you can look at it as reference.

This fix SERIOUSLY helped me get rid of crash that'd kill my sims every 5-15 mins. I hope this helps!

Thank you for this information! I am going to try it out and hope that it works!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    All I can say is if you don't buy IP you'll be missing out.

I think part of the problem people have that have a lot of memory is that the game isn't set up for 64 bit. You have 16gbs of ram but probebly the game isn't using but 4.

Maybe this will be corrected in the sims 4.

I think it's a memory problem too. I have 16GB of ram, but when I had this little widget thing letting me know my Ram/CPU usage, they were always very low.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    All I can say is if you don't buy IP you'll be missing out.

I think part of the problem people have that have a lot of memory is that the game isn't set up for 64 bit. You have 16gbs of ram but probebly the game isn't using but 4.

Maybe this will be corrected in the sims 4.

Did you even read this thread? "If you don't buy IP you'll be missing out." Where does this even come from? He clearly said he's done with the Sims 3 so what makes you think he's trying to be persuaded to buy the newest EP full of bugs and glitches?

Don't worry Cat, we know by your thousands of thousands of threads and post on this website and simsvip that you'll be buying everything EA makes. If they made toilet paper you'd probably be the first to preorder and question if the toilet paper would have a design of waterfalls and sims doing a new toilet kiss. :roll:

I think what Cat was referring to in regards to me missing out on IP is that I have been very excited about that expansion pack. It introduces a lot of features I have been after in the game for many years now, so by not purchasing it I will be missing out. Obviously if I didn't have the crash issues I would be purchasing it, but with them, I would be wasting my money.

As for the latter part of your reply, there is no need for that at all. While I have had issue with some of the stuff Cat posted in the past, I haven't seen him doing so for quite some time, so my issues with some of his postings have stopped. He made no mention or even hinted to anything remotely relating to what you said, so what you said was uncalled for. :)
  • Options
    YorkieGirl4YorkieGirl4 Posts: 361 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm so sorry. :( I was at this point right around the time Generations came out. My game ran fairly well, but as soon as Generations came it started having problems with loading and crashing and everything else. Granted, my problem was without a doubt my very outdated computer. Yours may be something else, but I understand how quickly it becomes irritating. I found my solution. I've been saving up extra money since then and finally managed to stash enough (for me that means a whole lot more than needed, maybe 10x what I'm about to spend) that I wouldn't feel guilty for spending some on a new computer which far exceeds the requirements and as of last Friday I can play!

I really hope you can find a fix for your game. No player should have their favorite, very expensive game taken away from them. Try the solution Angellulu offered up, it's helped a lot of players. Hopefully it'll help you too. I'll cross my fingers for you!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    My game works....kind of.... Unlike the original poster I haven't had any crashes for awhile. And when I did crash it was entirely me,overheating issues. But that doesnt exclude the very software specific issues that have not been fixed for sometimes well over a year. I think some of the frustration is over the same advice given over and over again. It's your system, it's mods, it's cc. And when people have proof to the contrary the standard response is that they will file a report/ ticket and nothing ever happens. That is very, very,poor customer support. The game is great. I wouldn't keep dumping money into if it wasn't. But using photography as an example, if I pay money for The WA EP and photography is a skill that comes with it and I can't complete photography challenges because of some glitch in the game, shouldn't they fix that? When did WA come out? How long as that been a issue? See what I mean. I've been waiting for that fix for awhile. That is just one example, I am aware of many more.

Again to recap, I've been very through with my troubleshooting. I exceed the min requirements, and my graphics card is up to date. I also did a complete uninstall, then reinstall, with no CC or mods and these issues still existed. I know people get defensive about the game, I understand, I love this game too. But there is complete legitimacy in being frustrated with the issues that come with it. Maybe as a true fan the poster was just trying to bring the problems to light so that they may finally get resolution. I know others have tried but maybe this time it will work. Maybe this time it will all be different. Maybe...maybe...

I wish there was a like button on this site! You seem to have understood exactly what I was getting at in my original post.

I love the game, and I won't deny that, but this past while has been a nightmare trying to just PLAY the thing! No game should have this many hoops to jump through just so you can play it haha
  • Options
    mw1234mw1234 Posts: 5,400 Member
    edited June 2013
    Did you even read this thread? "If you don't buy IP you'll be missing out." Where does this even come from? He clearly said he's done with the Sims 3 so what makes you think he's trying to be persuaded to buy the newest EP full of bugs and glitches?

Don't worry Cat, we know by your thousands of thousands of threads and post on this website and simsvip that you'll be buying everything EA makes. If they made toilet paper you'd probably be the first to preorder and question if the toilet paper would have a design of waterfalls and sims doing a new toilet kiss.

This was definitely uncalled for, and probably the rudest thing I've heard on the forums in a while. So sad to see some people just attacking others. Goodness gracious. :roll:
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,942 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'll be missing you in the forums if you really do give up. There are a few things you can try to maybe fix things. My new computer crashed for weeks before I got it sorted out.

I can give you a few quick suggestions though. But no links as I'm on my phone.

Try renaming your Sims 3 folder. The one with your saves in it. Then star a game and see if it still crashes. You'll only have Sunset Valley and no store content. It is a quick way to work out if it is the game or something in your data.

Then there is the crash log analyser. That takes you through a step by step process to work out what may be wrong.

You could also post your dxdialog so someone can see if there is anything you need to do with your system.

You can also look at your DeviceConfig.log. That is in your Sims 3 folder. Look to see if your game is recognising your graphic card. Look for the line that should say [Found 1, Matched 1]. A lot of the new cards aren't recognised and have 0 instead of 1. If that is a problem it can me easily fixed too.

I'll try to get back here in a few hours when I have access to my computer.
  • Options
    simsfan95173simsfan95173 Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited June 2013
    Deshong04 wrote:
    YZJay wrote:
    I don't know if this was posted since I just jumped straight to the third page, but how much memory does The Sims use? Is it limited or does it use every memory available in the PC? If it's the former then is there a way to modify the game to use more memory to avoid some of the lags crashes and cussing since most of the time my game crashes due to insufficient memory, which is 4GB.

I think a lot of my crashing is caused by my 4 GB RAM as well. It's no good for gaming and at minimum at least 8 GB is what I learned is standard but the 16 GB should do even better for thinking ahead.

Currently my gaming laptop uses around 3.20 GB more or less when I play TS3. Yeah, it's getting pretty hectic. :x

Plus I have all EP's/SP's and maybe 45 to 50% more or less of The Store.

And I have preordered IP and plan on also buying ITF and the movie stuff pack. I just feel like my laptop is saying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oG0aXhHH4U
    I've heard that Sims 3 uses a lot less RAM than it should.

Isn't there a way to make the game use more RAM?
  • Options
    midge719midge719 Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2013
    I have a top end pc, I7 Processor, 16GB DDR, High spec Graphics Card GTX 700, still the game wont work, it has nothing to do with the PC its EA and this game, so full of glitches and bugs, it all narrows down to EA dont give a monkeys, they don't care all they want is money, and they think were gullible , you know this to be true, have they fixed any previous glitches NOPE. It's no wonder they delayed the patch, who tests them monkeys at the zoo more like.
  • Options
    smilies246smilies246 Posts: 556 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I do agree though that EA just make all the Sims 3 team focus on new EPS, store content and don't get me started on the frikking worlds, they just released Dragon Valley and there is a new one!! The store is completely overpriced, deep down EA don't care about their customers they just want to be on top by appealing to many of us and what most people are willing to buy! I honestly wish they did do fixes for the game! The leaf thing is very annoying, I don't expect them to fix it as Sims 4 is coming in a year and they want all the employees to make more content to milk Sims 3 fans!
  • Options
    smilies246smilies246 Posts: 556 New Member
    edited June 2013
    midge719 wrote:
    I have a top end pc, I7 Processor, 16GB DDR, High spec Graphics Card GTX 700, still the game wont work, it has nothing to do with the PC its EA and this game, so full of glitches and bugs, it all narrows down to EA dont give a monkeys, they don't care all they want is money, and they think were gullible , you know this to be true, have they fixed any previous glitches NOPE. It's no wonder they delayed the patch, who tests them monkeys at the zoo more like.

I heard the patch reset the graphic thing, so your graphic card may not be recognized, so you have to do that!! To check look in Documents/EA/Sims 3 and then dcconfig or something! lol read it and if it isn't recognized it will say "(Found: 0, Matched: 1)" Then just google how to make it recognized! It isn't that harD! :)
  • Options
    midge719midge719 Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2013
    My graphics is fine and I reinstalled the whole game 3 times and still the same, Ive had it with this game, over 9 hours later and still the games shot, it was ok before the patch and now its knackered, they have not fixed anything, in fact made it worse.
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited June 2013
    Weealbet wrote:
    My long Tweet to some of the Guru's explains why.

@SimGuruGraham and @SimGuruRyan I'm sorry guys, but I am done with The Sims 3 and the future of this franchise! I write this to you both knowing that the chances of you reading this are slim, but I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt one last time.

I have been a Simmer since the very beginning. A few weeks before my 12th birthday I stumbled upon thesims.com and the premise of the game made me want it. On my 12th birthday I received the game and have followed the franchise ever since.

I have purchased every The Sims 1 game, every The Sims 2 game, including all the Stuff Packs and almost all of The Sims 3 games. The only The Sims 3 game I didn't purchase was the Katy Perry Sweet Treats pack. To add to my The Sims 3 purchases I own about 80-90% of the Store content. I have spent more than £900 ($1400) on The Sims 3 alone, and that is not including the £800 I spent on a new computer I purchased in March of this year so I could continue to enjoy the franchise.

Unfortunately I am not able to "enjoy" the game. Lately all I have experienced with the game are constant crashes. I can play the game for about 20-30 minutes before it crashes. Never, and I mean never, in the history of me playing the series (since The Sims 1) have I had the game crash. Now that is all I am experiencing.

We are sold products (and I am including Store Content here too) which are glitched and misrepresented to us.

For example, The Sims 3 Seasons was released towards the end of last year. We, the gullible customers, believed the developers when they assured us that leaves would disappear at the end of Winter. This wasn't the case on launch. And now, more than six months after it's release, this glitch still hasn't been fixed.

In regards to the Store. Aurora Skies, which is a beautiful World, was released at the start of this year. Numerous SimGuru's posted pictures on the forums, and stated how "beautiful" that world looked during Winter. Upon customers purchasing this, we soon discovered that once again we had been lied to.

@SimGuruSmitty eventually replied to the forum thread after many pages of angry customers stating that this wasn't a problem with the world itself, but with the way the Seasons expansion pack handled snow. We were also told that it was being looked in to. Again, roughly six months after its release, and with the release of todays patch, we are still left with that unsightly snow problem. There is also the problem with that world with Sims "sinking" into the ground at the two parks located in front of the Town Hall. Also, with the same two parks, Sims will get stuck on top of the fountains.

I Tweeted these issues to Smitty a few weeks ago and she stated she hasn't heard of these problems. That may be the case, but it has been widely discussed on the forums, with many images to back up these claims.

I have stood by EA, with my wallet in hand, and hoped against hope that things will get better with the game. That there will come a day when I won't have to rely on mods to make the game stable and prevent game breaking issues. Unfortunately, I now think that this is never going to happen. While the developers have been listening to what the fans have wanted in the game (more so since the release of Supernatural, which is when the quality was drastically increased), they have failed to address actual, legitimate problems of the players.

After 13 years of being a loyal customer, and 4 years of being a customer of The Sims 3, I am no longer going to be purchasing anything else for this game, or any future Sims related product (which extends to the Store too). I am effectively left with a £900+ icon on my desktop which promises enjoyment, but when I start playing, my enjoyment is short lived due to crashes.

I would have gladly purchased anything related to The Sims in the future. Especially with the release of The Sims 4 next year, I would have happily spent a further $1400 and more on the series. But I won't be any longer.

I know that in writing this it is falling on deaf ears (or blind eyes, depending on how you would perceive things), but if anything I have said at least appeals to your better moral judgement, then I hope that things improve with the franchise (and with EA in general).
    Don't know what OS you have but I know with windows DEP will sometimes shut the game down.

(ETA: DEP is what Angelulu was trying to tell you to do.)

And also check your virtual memory settings.
    It can be found under system & security, system, advanced settings, advanced.
    There is a minimum recommended & if the setting is too low it will cause the game to crash.
    Just some things to check out.
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited June 2013
    YZJay wrote:
    I don't know if this was posted since I just jumped straight to the third page, but how much memory does The Sims use? Is it limited or does it use every memory available in the PC? If it's the former then is there a way to modify the game to use more memory to avoid some of the lags crashes and cussing since most of the time my game crashes due to insufficient memory, which is 4GB.
    It uses about a little over 3GB. It's best to have the amount it takes for the games to install PLUS the 4GB RAM to play. If your computer doesnt have enough RAM that can cause it to crash too.
  • Options
    TheDarkCynderTheDarkCynder Posts: 24
    edited June 2013
    midge719 wrote:
    Graphics Card GTX 700

You have a GTX 700 series GPU already?

Wow.
  • Options
    piddlesimpiddlesim Posts: 3,251 Member
    edited June 2013
    If you have the GeForce GT 630 DDR3 or GDDR5 graphics card, then that is your problem. According to mod the sims and a microsoft's gaming site... those cards can not handle seasons or university.

I know of a person who had this card. They experienced a lot of lag and crashing after installing seasons and uni. After reading on MTS about the problems with that card, they switched to a different video card. They haven't had a single crash or error since then.

The problem wasn't the game or EA at all, it was the graphics card.

A link to MTS graphic card info page:

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

Your card is listed as problematic for everything released after fast lane. Seasons, decades pack, university... it is listed as won't run.

I understand being frustrated and yes there are a lot of bugs with the game. But I do hate it when EA is blamed for things when it is an underpowered pc or graphics card that is the problem.
  • Options
    blinky47jblinky47j Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2013
    You also have to consider your graphics card when you buy a laptop or an all-in-one desktop. These computers rarely let you update the graphics card because the graphics card is soldered onto the motherboard, your best bet is to look for a pc with a dedicated graphics slot. They don't tell you this when you are buying a pc..... :evil:
  • Options
    ThaSophsterThaSophster Posts: 30
    edited June 2013
    I haven't read all of the replies, so I'm sorry if this comes totally out of the blue, but this just got me thinking... All these people who say: "it may not be the fault of the game, but of your computer", and then state "your graphic card is on the list of problematic cards" or whatever the reason may be that the computer is not good enough...
    You may be right, but really, is this how it should be? I mean, I think that if you own a computer that meets the system requirements (even if it's only the minimum requirements), the game should work. EA can't tell customers: "Oh right, you seem to have the wrong graphic card here... even though it's technically good enough to play the game. I'm sorry, you can't play it. You should've bought another computer!" If there are certain requirements regarding graphic cards and stuff, they should be more specific in their information about system requirements. They can't make you buy a game and then tell you your computer just happens to have the wrong this or that. There's no excuse for that. When you buy a game, you assume it'll work. It HAS to work. Otherwise they should be very specific on which computer it may or may not work. But the way it is now, it's like a gamble: you put money into something and don't even know whether it will work or not. That is NOT okay. They might as well put a message with the game when it doés work: "Congratulations! Your game works! You're one of the few Lucky ones who got the jackpot!"
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,942 Member
    edited June 2013
    The 630 M appears to be capable of coping with EPs up to Supernatural but not Seasons. So if you have been playing happily up until the IP patch it seems to me you've done we'll with it. Maybe if you lowered your graphics settings you might get lucky with it.

I think you'd be happier with a better card.

As I said earlier if you post your dxdialog someone may be able go advise you of possible work arounds or solutions.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,701 Member
    edited June 2013
    French Poodle that was uncalled for and very wrong on your part.
  • Options
    Renesemee1940Renesemee1940 Posts: 256 New Member
    edited June 2013

Don't worry Cat, we know by your thousands of thousands of threads and post on this website and simsvip that you'll be buying everything EA makes. If they made toilet paper you'd probably be the first to preorder and question if the toilet paper would have a design of waterfalls and sims doing a new toilet kiss.

WOW that is really rude,
  • Options
    CaptobvsCaptobvs Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited June 2013
    This is the hardest thing about a game like this (or lots of games for that matter.) You can have two people with the exact same computer specs sitting side by side and it will work for one and be glitchy for the other. It makes no sense and that's what makes it so hard to de-bug.

I just got through building my own with some of the latest components because I wanted a better computer for running my MMO's. But before that, I was running TS3 on a WinXP comp with a GTX 650 and 4gb of RAM. The only problem I had with the game was slow rendering when switching from world view to live view. The only mods I was running were OverWatch and ErrorTrap. Yet you've got some people with Win8, that can't even get the game to load. It's all very confusing.
  • Options
    alwslaughinggirlalwslaughinggirl Posts: 244 Member
    edited June 2013
    I know how you feel. My game it seems changes with each expansion pack added. Before University Life it lagged a lot, now for some reason it seems to be functioning okay. Who knows what will happen when I add IP....I just have my fingers crossed, ha.
    I've been playing since TS1. My favorite games are TS2 and TS4.
    Origin ID- manda102784 <3
  • Options
    michellehilbrandmichellehilbrand Posts: 2,331 Member
    edited June 2013
    I got a new desktop because I started to have problems after Seasons, and I was amazed at the difference. I still can't have everything on high, because I still need to upgrade the graphics card again, but I was amazed that having a better graphics card stopped my Sims from being late everywhere. I never considered that the reason they couldn't get places was because my computer was lagging on the animations. They no longer take hours to change clothes and eat, etc. I buy store worlds for their content and rarely play them, so I don't have the AS annoyance.

I do understand your frustrations , and am sorry you are feeling this way. I am just glad that it doesn't bother me as much because I don't know what I would do without the Sims.