This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Done with The Sims 3 and this Franchise (resolved?)

Comments

• Options
    mcveighjessmcveighjess Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited June 2013
    Cali3234 wrote:
    U made it seem that the game crashed throughout the 3-4 years that you had it. And your complaining about one simple glitch. U came out here acting as if the game crashed from the beginning and now u say that it started with seasons... that sounds kinda wack

I disagree. I think that he made it clear that he has enjoyed all the sims games from the very beginning and now, due to INCREASED issues and NOT FIXED glitches after 6 months, he cannot in good faith, continue to buy into the franchise.

I think you're jumping to conclusions, as you have since the first response you've made in this thread.
  • Options
    Cali3234Cali3234 Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2013
    Put down your purse lady...nobody is trying to rob the spotlight from u...he also stated that he played the game for awhile and that sims 3 seasons was causing the crash...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Cali3234 wrote:
    Put down your purse lady...nobody is trying to rob the spotlight from u...he also stated that he played the game for awhile and that sims 3 seasons was causing the crash...

Well, aren't you cute, you hostile, small-minded, little creature you...
    Clearly, you have issues with reading properly, bless your heart, because no where did he say that. This is what he said:

Weealbet wrote:
    Unfortunately I am not able to "enjoy" the game. Lately all I have experienced with the game are constant crashes. I can play the game for about 20-30 minutes before it crashes. Never, and I mean never, in the history of me playing the series (since The Sims 1) have I had the game crash. Now that is all I am experiencing.

We are sold products (and I am including Store Content here too) which are glitched and misrepresented to us.

For example, The Sims 3 Seasons was released towards the end of last year. We, the gullible customers, believed the developers when they assured us that leaves would disappear at the end of Winter. This wasn't the case on launch. And now, more than six months after it's release, this glitch still hasn't been fixed.

In regards to the Store. Aurora Skies, which is a beautiful World, was released at the start of this year. Numerous SimGuru's posted pictures on the forums, and stated how "beautiful" that world looked during Winter. Upon customers purchasing this, we soon discovered that once again we had been lied to.

I was the one that said the issues could be from Seasons disagreeing with his graphics card. But I'll put my purse down, since it obviously intimidates you...
  • Options
    Mistletoe143Mistletoe143 Posts: 2,803 Member
    edited June 2013
    midge719 wrote:
    I would like to suggest considering upgrading your graphics card.

Im sorry but I disagree, I have an Nvidia GTX700 series and since the patch nothing but trouble, it has nothing to do with PC it's EA, they cant fix their games, it takes outside modders like twallan to fix their errors.

You're definitely allowed to disagree! No need to apologize for it! I just know that I was having problems with the game crashing and lagging and updating to a graphics card that was confirmed to work on that list fixed my issues. As the GTX700 isn't even on it, I'd have to assume that it's more updated than anything on it, so in theory it should work fine! I'm not sure why that is the case...

However, to Weealbet, the GT 630 OEM card is listed and will not properly run Seasons. I'm not particularly computer savvy and have no idea why that is the case, however the people that made the list are in a well respected sims 3 modding community so I decided to trust them. When I picked a card that was known to properly run ALL the sims 3 expansions and stuff packs, I stopped having issues. I can play any other game with my computer, but not TS3 without upgrading my card to the one I have now.

That being said, I'm NOT defending EA. I will never understand why they post "minimum requirements" for a game and not inform those of us that have been with the franchise since the beginning what we actually NEED to play the game and enjoy it with all the stuff that's been put out. Ridiculous if you ask me.

There are definitely glitches that need attention and I would love to see them fixed before they concentrate all of their energy on TS4. Sadly, that's generally not the case. I still have some issues that I'd like to see fixed with TS2, but that ship has long since sailed.

I just want to play and enjoy my game and if I can offer any personal experience to help others do the same, I will.

And Twallan's Overwatch mod is an absolute lifesaver when it comes to playing for long periods of time without a break. Part of the reason I'm not planning on joining TS4 is because he said he won't be doing mods for it...

This is really good advice. Thank you for posting this answer. I was not aware and now I feel more informed on how to enjoy my game on my computer. Thank you!
  • Options
    lilhunnylilhunny Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited June 2013
    knh330 wrote:
    Weealbet wrote:
    OK, well, I can't see where you are getting the idea that I am ranting from. It was not a "rant". I also never stated anywhere in my original post, and not until the post following yours, what my specifications are.

Do not be so quick to assume that the problem is always with the computer and not the software.

Well, does your computer fit the requirements?
    People who make threads like these seem quick to assume that it's the game, and not their computer.

Awhile back, I used to play Sims on my sister's laptop. I installed Late Night on it, and the next day, it crashed. I did sort of blame the game at first.
    But when I got my own laptop, I installed it, and it's still running perfectly fine without crashing. So, now I know it wasn't the game, but the computer itself.

Maybe you should post your computer's specs so people know if your computer meets the requirements or not. That way, people won't have to assume.

agree

yeah ea has a ton of bugs and stuff, but a lot of times its your computer thats the problem. maybe you should make sure its not before you write a whole book trying to convince people to join your ea boycott
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This is really good advice. Thank you for posting this answer. I was not aware and now I feel more informed on how to enjoy my game on my computer. Thank you!

You're welcome! I'm glad that you feel that way! If you get the chance, please go check the chart that I've posted the link to! It will definitely be helpful if you decide to go shopping.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited June 2013
    Penelope wrote:
    Weealbet wrote:
    I am not able to "enjoy" the game. Lately all I have experienced with the game are constant crashes. I can play the game for about 20-30 minutes before it crashes. Never, and I mean never, in the history of me playing the series (since The Sims 1) have I had the game crash. Now that is all I am experiencing
    Although I agree with some of what you said, I don't think the crashing is the fault of the game. I seriously never have crashes. I have every expansion except University, and 4 Stuff Packs, plus I play with custom content. (Minor stuff ... I don't have any major mods, just custom hair and clothes, mostly.) I don't have crashes. Ever. I really think your system might be getting overheated, and the game crashes as a measure to protect your computer from overheating. When you're playing, feel your computer to see if it gets hot when you play. Also, the Sims 3 needs a REALLY GOOD graphics card to play it. If your graphics card isn't quite good enough for the most recent expansions, then that can cause a crash as well. I'd do a search on this forum for "game crashing" and do some research about why this might be happening. If you play on a laptop, that might be a problem as well.

I also agree with another person who posted above that the minimum requirements for the game as listed on the box are baloney. Don't even pay attention to them. The "minimum requirements" are NOT good enough to play this game.

Perhaps you and others may be interested in this topic for TS4 regarding that issue? http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/677364.page
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    When I was doing research into my own crashes, I found that a lot of people had issues with their graphics cards. I decided that I would do some research into the best card for the game (when Supernatural came out is when mine started crashing). I found a chart on a site called Mod The Sims. Now, I don't use mods in my game (with the exception of Overwatch, which I use because it automatically resets certain things and deletes certain things every sim night, which keeps my game running longer without lags) but I used to. So I was familiar with the site. Since these people build mods and are more familiar with the internal specs of the game than I am, I decided to trust their information and it worked like a dream.

Here is the link to the chart they have on their site: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements Your card is listed on it as having known issues with Seasons and with 70's 80's and 90's stuff. And potential issues with several more. The card that I had previously installed shouldn't have run as much as it did, according to this site. So I figured that if I picked a card that was known to run all currently released packs then it would support the future ones too. I hope that makes sense...

It makes a lot of sense :)

I just don't understand how my game has gone from working like a dream to being an absolute nightmare in the space of a few weeks. I haven't experienced any problems at all with the game on my computer prior to this. I did use Overwatch and even with that installed the removal of vehicles and resetting of Sims was few. Although I'm certain that it did help. I think I was getting a resetting Sim once or twice every Sim week.

I can open my game and be in a save within a minute. Loading a new game is a flash too. While the game is playing I have never had any problems. Even lately I don't get problems. The game will just randomly crash. I am considering reformatting my computer to see if that might help.
    Cali3234 wrote:
    U made it seem that the game crashed throughout the 3-4 years that you had it. And your complaining about one simple glitch. U came out here acting as if the game crashed from the beginning and now u say that it started with seasons... that sounds kinda wack

I disagree. I think that he made it clear that he has enjoyed all the sims games from the very beginning and now, due to INCREASED issues and NOT FIXED glitches after 6 months, he cannot in good faith, continue to buy into the franchise.

I think you're jumping to conclusions, as you have since the first response you've made in this thread.

This. I said in my original post, and throughout that my problems have been recent.

Cali3234 wrote:

There is absolutely no need for hostility or rudeness. No one has been hostile or rude towards you, even when you have failed to read properly.

I never once stated that my problems started since installing Seasons. If you read what people are saying, you will have learned that I purchased a new computer in March, about 4-5 months AFTER the release of Seasons.
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    lilhunny wrote:
    yeah ea has a ton of bugs and stuff, but a lot of times its your computer thats the problem. maybe you should make sure its not before you write a whole book trying to convince people to join your ea boycott

Read what is being said. Also, I have not once tried to get people to join my so-called EA-boycott. Nor have I said I am boycotting EA. It appears that people on this forum are far too quick to jump to conclusions these days.
  • Options
    Candygurl84Candygurl84 Posts: 5,056 Member
    edited June 2013
    midge719 wrote:
    Join The Club, Enough said.
  • Options
    TimWatson224TimWatson224 Posts: 442 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I agree. I just started playing Sims 3 for PC this year and the bugs and crashes and lags can get annoying.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Weealbet wrote:
    It makes a lot of sense :)

I just don't understand how my game has gone from working like a dream to being an absolute nightmare in the space of a few weeks. I haven't experienced any problems at all with the game on my computer prior to this. I did use Overwatch and even with that installed the removal of vehicles and resetting of Sims was few. Although I'm certain that it did help. I think I was getting a resetting Sim once or twice every Sim week.

I can open my game and be in a save within a minute. Loading a new game is a flash too. While the game is playing I have never had any problems. Even lately I don't get problems. The game will just randomly crash. I am considering reformatting my computer to see if that might help.

It might. And like I said, I had pretty much the same problem. I was playing along, AFTER having installed Supernatural and was thoroughly enjoying it. Then one day, I went to open my game, it opened fast, took no time to load, had no issues at all and BAM! Crashing. Ok, well, maybe something else conflicted, no big deal. Restart. Then crash, again. Ok. Decide to check it out. Check no unusual programs are running, nope, that's not it. Run my virus scanner (you can never be too careful!), run my malware scanner, open my documents, delete cache files, run CC cleaner, restart computer, open game and I'm good! Awesome. And crash. Ok. Uninstall all sim games, run a clean install (this takes 2 days because all my games are digital downloads and it takes FOREVER to download and install them all and I can't just sit and do it because I have work and kids and dogs and other stuff!). Get the game running, completely new, play for a bit, maybe an hour and crash. About to cry at this point. Researching everything and I finally find the chart that I've mentioned. This is my last chance, my last opportunity to find a way to enjoy my game before I give up on it completely. Get my new graphics card, and ta-da! I have a working game, with better graphics than ever, running smoother than ever and no issues at all.

Like I said, this is just MY personal experience. I can't say anything about your computer, because I'm not a tech and for all I know, if you get a new card it will do nothing to fix your game. I just know that this is what fixed it for me. And it fixed it immediately. No issues, even after adding Seasons, Uni, 70's 80's and 90's stuff and a TON of new store stuff.
  • Options
    kirbydeekirbydee Posts: 123
    edited June 2013
    Kudos. Tbh IP is the first time I've been excited (mostly because my trip to Atlantis this year flopped) since Seasons TS2. I don't even bother with store or stuff packs. Half the expansions I buy are because my brother wants them and it's the one of few games my parents tolerate him playing. I'm so disappointed.

That being said, I hope you have better resolve than me. I swore I'd never buy TS3 and I bought it and the expansions. I also told Petco after three shipments of live fish which died due to errors on their end I'd never spend another dollar there and A- I caved and B- it sucks knowing that whether or not they have my personalized they will flourish.

I hope they hear you and others who are so frustrated to the point of quitting, and realizing how many are right behind. I doing I'll buy TS4. Graphics are stupid to me. Give us new gameplay. Not the same series of interactions and objects and stories with different wrapping paper.
  • Options
    canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    edited June 2013
    Do you have mods when you play? Also, what expansions do you have?
    in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
  • Options
    KkarichanKkarichan Posts: 776 Member
    edited June 2013
    Dear Op i think its your graphics card that is causing your crashes. I say this because I have seasons and got the new patch today and it ran fine on my ASUS beast of a laptop which has a nvidia geforce gtx 670m.3gb. I will admit i do get some slow FPS now and then but thats because i got like store content, 2 stuff packs ,multiple worlds and 7 expacs+ base game but for a laptop it does the job extremely well even my desktop which is about 4 years old still runs the Sims 3 very well but then again its like a $3k desktop meant for hardcore gaming.
  • Options
    AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hey OP, I got a solution for you. ^^

Well, basically what I do is I spend hours researching on web how to fix Sims 3 crashes and stuff. Now that I did that, it works great! Sure it may get slow and laggy, but thats only if I got store content and CC stuff.

As for another tip, buy your games after series are over. 1st - Way cheaper, 2nd - I've actually found all-in-one Sims1 and Sims 2 games for *cough*free*cough*on*cough*interwebz*cough!* so :wink: suit yourself!

I also try to wait for sales, when they come up to ~20$ per pack or less. I'm a really poor college student who's parents can't even support themselves so any saving helps... I've been with Sims ever since Sims 1 as well, and I love it. I still play all Sims 1, and 2 games (I actually have them on computer right now) and Sims 3 has the most problems, even tho I try to fix them as they happen. I've been dreaming to get Dragon Valley with the Black dragon since it was announced, but it was either that or mermaids, and I've made my decision...

Anyway, I really hope you feel better. You can leave the series if you'd like, it sure would save lots of time and money, but if you do stick around longer, please consider following my little tips. :D Thanks!
  • Options
    mikeymouseymikeymousey Posts: 56
    edited June 2013
    I've had that problem where the game crashes constantly, and it turned out that my laptop was just overheating because the game is so taxing on your computer. so can I just suggest you try to cool it down with some sort of fan (I have this fan thing that my laptop sits on top of and it plugs into the USB port. It does a GREAT job cooling it down) before you get so upset and give up on the sims franchise. Especially if you have spent so much time and money on the game.

Just trying to be helpful and I hope you can get your game fixed so you can keep enjoying the game.
  • Options
    AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    edited June 2013
    Ok. This is what helped with with crashes.

Got to Control panel ---> write in System ---> Choose "View advanced system settings" (under system) ---> go to top "Advanced" ---> Click "Settings..." under Performance ---> then click at top "Data Execution Prevention" (DEP short)
    > Click circle "Turn on DEP for all Programs and services except those I select" ---> click Add... ----> Find the latest Sims 3 file (its kinda difficult, it should be like TS3W)

How to get to TS3W.... Click "Add..." Button ---> at top go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ ----> Click Game ---> then Bin ---> Scroll down until you find the TS3W ---> Click it and then "Open" ---> It'll bring you back to screen ---> Then do the same to add TS3 and TS3Launcher ---> Click OK. Now you'll need to restart computer for it to take changes.

https://help.ea.com/ca/article/dep-settings-for-sims-3-on-vista-and-windows-7 Has basically the steps I told you, you can look at it as reference.

This fix SERIOUSLY helped me get rid of crash that'd kill my sims every 5-15 mins. I hope this helps!
  • Options
    LindsaySue2LindsaySue2 Posts: 121 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm going to agree w/ the original poster. I too made the decision to stop playing The Sims after the last S3 EP comes out. I also have bought nearly everything since the beginning. I too have purchased 90% of the store content. I too have a very updated system, lots of memory, good graphics card and I have worked on an IT help desk so I have a good indication of when its the game or my machine. I am sorry but its the game. It is filled with glitches that are rarely ever fixed. How about all of a sudden not being able to build above 2 stories? How about never being able to enjoy the photography skill because it resets your photo album count when you travel or won't recognize certain buildings so you can never complete the list. Is that due to my graphics card? i think not. These and the original posters issues, are just a few of the many examples of really glitchy things that just take away from the pleasure of the game. And before you go a say its mods, I did a complete uninstall and step by step reinstall at the beginning of the year and most of the exact same issues were still there WITHOUT any mods or CC. I know EA has a great game with the Sims franchise. I would not have been such a loyal customer so far if they didnt. But since Sims3 I have spent more to be disappointed more and I just can't continue. Oh and I watched the live broadcast today. The Sims4 DRAWING? Are you kidding me? It's just a drawing. You could have skipped showing that.
  • Options
    angelica09angelica09 Posts: 5
    edited June 2013
    While everyone has the right to their opinion, it is a strong possibility that you just got a bad egg. My game is perfect and can run all day long, I do have a high quality laptop and no mods or cc. However I do not think that the anger is warranted it's a game, find another franchise to fall in love with.

Sincerely, a very happy simmer
  • Options
    YZJayYZJay Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    I don't know if this was posted since I just jumped straight to the third page, but how much memory does The Sims use? Is it limited or does it use every memory available in the PC? If it's the former then is there a way to modify the game to use more memory to avoid some of the lags crashes and cussing since most of the time my game crashes due to insufficient memory, which is 4GB.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited June 2013
    I have tried to give up on this franchise but sadly I love it glitches and all..LOL

I can't tell you how many times I am troubleshooting my crashes like University loading 99% of the way and getting stuck. I turned off memories because vampires\fairies were hitting 300 memories and the game would lag as it attempted to log more memories in a full scrapbook...SIGH.

I know there are some that want to blame everything on the computer but there are clearly some glitches in the game or most of us would not be running over to NRAAS and downloading Overwatch.

The OP made some VERY valid point outside of the crashes. I have had Sims stuck on the fountain in Aurora Skies and thankfully Overwatch fixes it. Honestly, if the OP is playing Aurora Skies...yeah I can understand why you are crashing a lot with no mods. I also heard about some glitch with the Hot Air Balloons causing the game to crash.

To the OP..
    Sometimes crashes are world related. In my experience, Aurora Skies and Monte Vista have given me the most routing issue crashes. I use NRAAS Master controller to reset the entire town. I recommend looking into those mods.

I would also try to play other worlds and see if you are experiencing the same issues.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited June 2013
    YZJay wrote:
    I don't know if this was posted since I just jumped straight to the third page, but how much memory does The Sims use? Is it limited or does it use every memory available in the PC? If it's the former then is there a way to modify the game to use more memory to avoid some of the lags crashes and cussing since most of the time my game crashes due to insufficient memory, which is 4GB.

I think a lot of my crashing is caused by my 4 GB RAM as well. It's no good for gaming and at minimum at least 8 GB is what I learned is standard but the 16 GB should do even better for thinking ahead.

Currently my gaming laptop uses around 3.20 GB more or less when I play TS3. Yeah, it's getting pretty hectic. :x

Plus I have all EP's/SP's and maybe 45 to 50% more or less of The Store.

And I have preordered IP and plan on also buying ITF and the movie stuff pack. I just feel like my laptop is saying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oG0aXhHH4U
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,701 Member
    edited June 2013
    All I can say is if you don't buy IP you'll be missing out.

I think part of the problem people have that have a lot of memory is that the game isn't set up for 64 bit. You have 16gbs of ram but probebly the game isn't using but 4.

Maybe this will be corrected in the sims 4.
  • Options
    frenchpoodle777frenchpoodle777 Posts: 842 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Did you even read this thread? "If you don't buy IP you'll be missing out." Where does this even come from? He clearly said he's done with the Sims 3 so what makes you think he's trying to be persuaded to buy the newest EP full of bugs and glitches?

Don't worry Cat, we know by your thousands of thousands of threads and post on this website and simsvip that you'll be buying everything EA makes. If they made toilet paper you'd probably be the first to preorder and question if the toilet paper would have a design of waterfalls and sims doing a new toilet kiss.
    Post edited by Unknown User on