Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Done with The Sims 3 and this Franchise (resolved?)

My long Tweet to some of the Guru's explains why.

@SimGuruGraham and @SimGuruRyan I'm sorry guys, but I am done with The Sims 3 and the future of this franchise! I write this to you both knowing that the chances of you reading this are slim, but I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt one last time.

I have been a Simmer since the very beginning. A few weeks before my 12th birthday I stumbled upon thesims.com and the premise of the game made me want it. On my 12th birthday I received the game and have followed the franchise ever since.

I have purchased every The Sims 1 game, every The Sims 2 game, including all the Stuff Packs and almost all of The Sims 3 games. The only The Sims 3 game I didn't purchase was the Katy Perry Sweet Treats pack. To add to my The Sims 3 purchases I own about 80-90% of the Store content. I have spent more than £900 ($1400) on The Sims 3 alone, and that is not including the £800 I spent on a new computer I purchased in March of this year so I could continue to enjoy the franchise.

Unfortunately I am not able to "enjoy" the game. Lately all I have experienced with the game are constant crashes. I can play the game for about 20-30 minutes before it crashes. Never, and I mean never, in the history of me playing the series (since The Sims 1) have I had the game crash. Now that is all I am experiencing.

We are sold products (and I am including Store Content here too) which are glitched and misrepresented to us.

For example, The Sims 3 Seasons was released towards the end of last year. We, the gullible customers, believed the developers when they assured us that leaves would disappear at the end of Winter. This wasn't the case on launch. And now, more than six months after it's release, this glitch still hasn't been fixed.

In regards to the Store. Aurora Skies, which is a beautiful World, was released at the start of this year. Numerous SimGuru's posted pictures on the forums, and stated how "beautiful" that world looked during Winter. Upon customers purchasing this, we soon discovered that once again we had been lied to.

@SimGuruSmitty eventually replied to the forum thread after many pages of angry customers stating that this wasn't a problem with the world itself, but with the way the Seasons expansion pack handled snow. We were also told that it was being looked in to. Again, roughly six months after its release, and with the release of todays patch, we are still left with that unsightly snow problem. There is also the problem with that world with Sims "sinking" into the ground at the two parks located in front of the Town Hall. Also, with the same two parks, Sims will get stuck on top of the fountains.

I Tweeted these issues to Smitty a few weeks ago and she stated she hasn't heard of these problems. That may be the case, but it has been widely discussed on the forums, with many images to back up these claims.

I have stood by EA, with my wallet in hand, and hoped against hope that things will get better with the game. That there will come a day when I won't have to rely on mods to make the game stable and prevent game breaking issues. Unfortunately, I now think that this is never going to happen. While the developers have been listening to what the fans have wanted in the game (more so since the release of Supernatural, which is when the quality was drastically increased), they have failed to address actual, legitimate problems of the players.

After 13 years of being a loyal customer, and 4 years of being a customer of The Sims 3, I am no longer going to be purchasing anything else for this game, or any future Sims related product (which extends to the Store too). I am effectively left with a £900+ icon on my desktop which promises enjoyment, but when I start playing, my enjoyment is short lived due to crashes.

I would have gladly purchased anything related to The Sims in the future. Especially with the release of The Sims 4 next year, I would have happily spent a further $1400 and more on the series. But I won't be any longer.

I know that in writing this it is falling on deaf ears (or blind eyes, depending on how you would perceive things), but if anything I have said at least appeals to your better moral judgement, then I hope that things improve with the franchise (and with EA in general).

Comments

  • Options
    midge719midge719 Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2013
    Join The Club, Enough said.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited June 2013
    If your monitor goes dark, and you hear this constant humming sound coming from your desk top when the game crashes. I have the same thing too, and what I do to stop that is just open the casing of my desk top up and put a common household fan on it. It not a permanent fix. But it will stop that from happening until a more permanent fix is found. :D
  • Options
    mcveighjessmcveighjess Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. It's always sad when a fellow simmer has problems that cause them to want to leave.

    I would like to suggest considering upgrading your graphics card. I know that you said that you just bought a new computer, so adding a new graphics card on top of that would be a pain. However, when my computer consistently crashed, upgrading my RAM and my graphics card way BEYOND the specifications recommended was the only thing that I found that could fix it.

    I used this guide to find one that would work for me: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

    I went with the Nvidia GEForce 9800 GT which cost me about 300 dollars. I know that's not cheap, but it improved SO much on my game that it was worth it. I had lags that I didn't even know were there that disappeared. For instance, there were a whole bunch of tiny animations that my old graphics card skipped over while sims were preparing meals.

    I'm not a huge fan of the way EA does business, especially since it takes SO long to get updates to fix issues. However, for purely selfish reasons, I don't want to quit playing! I love the game and I don't want to stop, so I did what I had to to be able to enjoy it again.

    I don't think that I will be buying into the sims 4, but that's mostly because I don't want to wait another 3 years for Seasons.
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    I read your original post, and I agree.

    I'm hoping that my message to them wasn't rude or aggressive as that really wasn't my intent. I would have went into further detail but I was wondering if writing even that was wasting my time.

    I hope that they do read that and take it on board that they are releasing broken products and that people aren't going to stand by them forever if they don't change.

    I meant what I said, I would have happily paid what I've paid in the past and more in the future if I could rely on the developers to put out a decent product. I can live with some problems, nothing is perfect, but when I can't even play the game, then I have a problem.

  • Options
    midge719midge719 Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2013
    I would like to suggest considering upgrading your graphics card.

    Im sorry but I disagree, I have an Nvidia GTX700 series and since the patch nothing but trouble, it has nothing to do with PC it's EA, they cant fix their games, it takes outside modders like twallan to fix their errors.
  • Options
    Cali3234Cali3234 Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2013
    U can not blame the game if your computer does not support it. Y are u trying to drive a Ferrari with every add on if your engine comes from school bus. I understand about the glitch part. But that is mostly because of the stuff that you download your self. I have a new computer and my game runs mostly fine. If it turns off I already have it saved. I can not cosign on this rant if your graphics card is from 2-3 years ago.
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. It's always sad when a fellow simmer has problems that cause them to want to leave.

    I would like to suggest considering upgrading your graphics card. I know that you said that you just bought a new computer, so adding a new graphics card on top of that would be a pain. However, when my computer consistently crashed, upgrading my RAM and my graphics card way BEYOND the specifications recommended was the only thing that I found that could fix it.

    I used this guide to find one that would work for me: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

    I went with the Nvidia GEForce 9800 GT which cost me about 300 dollars. I know that's not cheap, but it improved SO much on my game that it was worth it. I had lags that I didn't even know were there that disappeared. For instance, there were a whole bunch of tiny animations that my old graphics card skipped over while sims were preparing meals.

    I'm not a huge fan of the way EA does business, especially since it takes SO long to get updates to fix issues. However, for purely selfish reasons, I don't want to quit playing! I love the game and I don't want to stop, so I did what I had to to be able to enjoy it again.

    I don't think that I will be buying into the sims 4, but that's mostly because I don't want to wait another 3 years for Seasons.

    Thank you for this. However, I know that it isn't my game. I have a Nvidia Geforce GT 630M graphics card with 2GB dedicated memory. I have 16GB ram and a 3.3Gz processor too.

    I can run more demanding programs and games than The Sims 3 on my computer and it doesn't even flinch.
  • Options
    Cali3234Cali3234 Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2013
    Also, if you have only a 200 gig computer and a great graphics card....well that does not help either
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    Cali3234 wrote:
    U can not blame the game if your computer does not support it. Y are u trying to drive a Ferrari with every add on if your engine comes from school bus. I understand about the glitch part. But that is mostly because of the stuff that you download your self. I have a new computer and my game runs mostly fine. If it turns off I already have it saved. I can not cosign on this rant if your graphics card is from 2-3 years ago.

    OK, well, I can't see where you are getting the idea that I am ranting from. It was not a "rant". I also never stated anywhere in my original post, and not until the post following yours, what my specifications are.

    Do not be so quick to assume that the problem is always with the computer and not the software.
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    Cali3234 wrote:
    Also, if you have only a 200 gig computer and a great graphics card....well that does not help either

    I have 750GB space on my computer. I have used about 100GB of that space. Please, tell me again how this is my fault.
  • Options
    Cali3234Cali3234 Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2013
    That was not for you..that was for the original poster
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    Cali3234 wrote:
    That was not for you..that was for the original poster

    Who just so happens to be me...
  • Options
    Cali3234Cali3234 Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2013
    wait sorry I did not realize you where the original poster
  • Options
    afpickrenafpickren Posts: 220 Member
    edited June 2013
    I think most of us can acknowledge that EA isn't very well liked or respected for various reasons but the Sims is a great franchise, despite its shortcomings. I can only imagine that if I were in your position I would be frantic, so I understand. There has to be a valid reason why your game isn't working properly. I'm sure you've been through everything and tried every possible fix, but I encourage you to keep looking. There has to be a cause for your issues!!

    Best of luck.
    Origin ID: TitanSimmer
    Twitter: TitanSimmer
    Tumblr: TitanSimmer
  • Options
    knh330knh330 Posts: 1,593 Member
    edited June 2013
    Weealbet wrote:
    OK, well, I can't see where you are getting the idea that I am ranting from. It was not a "rant". I also never stated anywhere in my original post, and not until the post following yours, what my specifications are.

    Do not be so quick to assume that the problem is always with the computer and not the software.

    Well, does your computer fit the requirements?
    People who make threads like these seem quick to assume that it's the game, and not their computer.

    Awhile back, I used to play Sims on my sister's laptop. I installed Late Night on it, and the next day, it crashed. I did sort of blame the game at first.
    But when I got my own laptop, I installed it, and it's still running perfectly fine without crashing. So, now I know it wasn't the game, but the computer itself.

    Maybe you should post your computer's specs so people know if your computer meets the requirements or not. That way, people won't have to assume.
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    I posted my specs a few posts ago.

    I have a Nvidia Geforce GT 630M graphics card with 2GB ram.
    I have 16GB ram.
    I have 3.3Gz quad core processor
    750GB hard drive, about 650GB free space.
  • Options
    mcveighjessmcveighjess Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited June 2013
    midge719 wrote:
    I would like to suggest considering upgrading your graphics card.

    Im sorry but I disagree, I have an Nvidia GTX700 series and since the patch nothing but trouble, it has nothing to do with PC it's EA, they cant fix their games, it takes outside modders like twallan to fix their errors.

    You're definitely allowed to disagree! No need to apologize for it! I just know that I was having problems with the game crashing and lagging and updating to a graphics card that was confirmed to work on that list fixed my issues. As the GTX700 isn't even on it, I'd have to assume that it's more updated than anything on it, so in theory it should work fine! I'm not sure why that is the case...

    However, to Weealbet, the GT 630 OEM card is listed and will not properly run Seasons. I'm not particularly computer savvy and have no idea why that is the case, however the people that made the list are in a well respected sims 3 modding community so I decided to trust them. When I picked a card that was known to properly run ALL the sims 3 expansions and stuff packs, I stopped having issues. I can play any other game with my computer, but not TS3 without upgrading my card to the one I have now.

    That being said, I'm NOT defending EA. I will never understand why they post "minimum requirements" for a game and not inform those of us that have been with the franchise since the beginning what we actually NEED to play the game and enjoy it with all the stuff that's been put out. Ridiculous if you ask me.

    There are definitely glitches that need attention and I would love to see them fixed before they concentrate all of their energy on TS4. Sadly, that's generally not the case. I still have some issues that I'd like to see fixed with TS2, but that ship has long since sailed.

    I just want to play and enjoy my game and if I can offer any personal experience to help others do the same, I will.

    And Twallan's Overwatch mod is an absolute lifesaver when it comes to playing for long periods of time without a break. Part of the reason I'm not planning on joining TS4 is because he said he won't be doing mods for it...
  • Options
    Cali3234Cali3234 Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2013
    Somestimes if you run your internet browser like Google Chrome It has a google [google]chrome process crash....that sometimes conflicts with the game and makes it crash as well
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited June 2013
    Weealbet wrote:
    I am not able to "enjoy" the game. Lately all I have experienced with the game are constant crashes. I can play the game for about 20-30 minutes before it crashes. Never, and I mean never, in the history of me playing the series (since The Sims 1) have I had the game crash. Now that is all I am experiencing
    Although I agree with some of what you said, I don't think the crashing is the fault of the game. I seriously never have crashes. I have every expansion except University, and 4 Stuff Packs, plus I play with custom content. (Minor stuff ... I don't have any major mods, just custom hair and clothes, mostly.) I don't have crashes. Ever. I really think your system might be getting overheated, and the game crashes as a measure to protect your computer from overheating. When you're playing, feel your computer to see if it gets hot when you play. Also, the Sims 3 needs a REALLY GOOD graphics card to play it. If your graphics card isn't quite good enough for the most recent expansions, then that can cause a crash as well. I'd do a search on this forum for "game crashing" and do some research about why this might be happening. If you play on a laptop, that might be a problem as well.

    I also agree with another person who posted above that the minimum requirements for the game as listed on the box are baloney. Don't even pay attention to them. The "minimum requirements" are NOT good enough to play this game.

  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    However, to Weealbet, the GT 630 OEM card is listed and will not properly run Seasons. I'm not particularly computer savvy and have no idea why that is the case, however the people that made the list are in a well respected sims 3 modding community so I decided to trust them. When I picked a card that was known to properly run ALL the sims 3 expansions and stuff packs, I stopped having issues. I can play any other game with my computer, but not TS3 without upgrading my card to the one I have now.

    Where did you read this? I have been playing the game on my computer with absolutely no problems since I purchased it in March. The game has ran like a dream for me. I tried to record some gameplay footage a few times and the game crashed during it. It was ONLY during recording that the game would crash.

    I haven't tried recording for a few weeks now and played the game without any problems. I installed today's patch and all I have been getting is constant crashing. I should also add that I did a clean install recently and haven't had any mods in my game since, so I know that there isn't a mod causing problems.
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    Penelope wrote:
    Weealbet wrote:
    I am not able to "enjoy" the game. Lately all I have experienced with the game are constant crashes. I can play the game for about 20-30 minutes before it crashes. Never, and I mean never, in the history of me playing the series (since The Sims 1) have I had the game crash. Now that is all I am experiencing
    Although I agree with some of what you said, I don't think the crashing is the fault of the game. I seriously never have crashes. I have every expansion except University, and 4 Stuff Packs, plus I play with custom content. I don't have crashes. Ever. I really think your system might be getting overheated, and the game crashes as a measure to protect your computer from overheating. When you're playing, feel your computer to see if it gets hot when you play. Also, the Sims 3 needs a REALLY GOOD graphics card to play it. If your graphics card isn't quite good enough for the most recent expansions, then that can cause a crash as well. I'd do a search on this forum for "game crashing" and do some research about why this might be happening. If you play on a laptop, that might be a problem as well.

    Thank you for that. See above post.

    Also, searching for why my game has been crashing is all that I have been doing lately. It has become tedious and for all that I love The Sims, I just can't continue trying to find work-arounds for my game crashing.

    My system doesn't overheat either. The Sims 3 is the only game which crashes. I play Skyrim on the highest settings, with numerous mods and texture packs and there isn't the slightest problem. I have both The Withcer games which I play and I don't have any problems. As well as the Mass Effect games, and several other games. Not one of these games gives me a problem and with the exception of The Witcher 2, I play all of them on the highest settings and I experience no problem at all.
  • Options
    WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    edited June 2013
    Sorry for everything you'll be missing out on in the future. Have fun out there!
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

  • Options
    Cali3234Cali3234 Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2013
    U made it seem that the game crashed throughout the 3-4 years that you had it. And your complaining about one simple glitch. U came out here acting as if the game crashed from the beginning and now u say that it started with seasons... that sounds kinda wack
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited June 2013
    Cali3234 wrote:
    Somestimes if you run your internet browser like Google Chrome It has a google [google]chrome process crash....that sometimes conflicts with the game and makes it crash as well

    I remember seeing something about that. I use Firefox, but I think there was Chrome on my computer. I'll have a look and see. Thank you :)
  • Options
    mcveighjessmcveighjess Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited June 2013
    When I was doing research into my own crashes, I found that a lot of people had issues with their graphics cards. I decided that I would do some research into the best card for the game (when Supernatural came out is when mine started crashing). I found a chart on a site called Mod The Sims. Now, I don't use mods in my game (with the exception of Overwatch, which I use because it automatically resets certain things and deletes certain things every sim night, which keeps my game running longer without lags) but I used to. So I was familiar with the site. Since these people build mods and are more familiar with the internal specs of the game than I am, I decided to trust their information and it worked like a dream.

    Here is the link to the chart they have on their site: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements Your card is listed on it as having known issues with Seasons and with 70's 80's and 90's stuff. And potential issues with several more. The card that I had previously installed shouldn't have run as much as it did, according to this site. So I figured that if I picked a card that was known to run all currently released packs then it would support the future ones too. I hope that makes sense...
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top