The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My (first ever!) review for Mid-Century Fantasy! Review updated! :D

Hi everyone! I know it's an old set, but it's one of my favorites :D

I was able to get a place at http://www.thesimstopicteam.com/ to be a Store Content reviewer. I wanted to start with sets that I like and use to get a general feel of reviewing.

I'll be doing all the sets in this theme, Lullabies and Nursery Rhymes and (in the near future) Aurora Skies!

Mid-CenturyReviewCover_zps1c64d23e.png

Find the review here: http://www.thesimstopicteam.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8898436-mid-century-fantasy-living-room-review

Let me know what you think! :D

EDIT:

I have updated the review page with more images of the set and images of the set (and room) with a completely different color scheme. I was going to take out some of the items and put alternatives in it's place, but then I thought that that wasn't really doing the set justice (or showing what the reader could do with it). I actually like the newer changes over the old now :lol:

Comments

• Options
    mdmwhitemdmwhite Posts: 1,750 Member
    edited April 2013
    You took some fantastic pictures!
  • Options
    nytikanytika Posts: 275 Member
    edited April 2013
    I really liked your review. Im the type of person who loves to see a review like this. Loved the pics and it also gives someone like me an idea where and how things can be used. What I also would like to have seen is some pics where it shows how versatile a set can be. Maybe a little more than just a recolor but maybe a room set up with a different feel than the set was designed for. Very informative and i will definitely be following your reviews.
  • Options
    michellehilbrandmichellehilbrand Posts: 2,331 Member
    edited April 2013
    Love your review and the house is awesome. I think that this set is my favorite also. The 50s was unique in that it is retro looking but also a little modern. Love your pics and look forward to more reviews in the future.
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited April 2013
    Very good work on the review! Keep it up! :thumbup:
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited April 2013
    Thank you for the feedback everyone! :D

Nytika, I hadn't planned on discussing how versatile this set is until I was typing it up and I remembered how I had used the sofa's with a bunch of other Store Content sets. I had to use an older picture from a previous game (which was literally just a snapshot haha) to show the colors and how it can go with other items. (I'm not being defensive here, I'm agreeing with what you have said :) )

In the review for the Mid-Century Dining Set I'll be sort of doing the opposite of this. A problem I have encountered (and I think others) are the dining chairs not being usable for some reason. I've pulled out a similar looking dining chair (I think it was from Supernatural, but I'll have to double check) and recolored it to match that set.

It's not a perfect scenario, but I was sort of wanting to demonstrate that if you don't like using a lot of CASt to redecorate a bunch of furniture, then you can get a simple look which matches the theme and is a somewhat workaround. I'm going to have a better look through the Base Game dining chairs to see if I can find a more suitable chair (I don't want to assume that EVERYONE has Supernatural).
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited April 2013
    Looking good! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thanks Cinderelli! :D

I've updated the page to include more images of the actual set and include a revamped room (still with the set). Is it wrong I like the new color scheme better? :lol:
  • Options
    TRachetTRachet Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2013
    You did an amazing job with this review! You totally blew away my expectations! :mrgreen: :thumbup:
  • Options
    maria_loves_alexmaria_loves_alex Posts: 9,054 Member
    edited April 2013
    Great job :thumbup: the Mid Century sets are among my favourites too. I love the way you decorated your living room using the items from the set; a while back I have created 2 retro style homes using the mid century sets.
    My Page: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/maria_loves_alex

Follow me on the Sims 4 Gallery - ID 'MariannaSims'
  • Options
    Me1620Me1620 Posts: 5,010 Member
    edited April 2013
    I like the format of your review and the factors you have chosen to critique the set. I have bookmarked the Sims Topic Team webpage so I can follow your future reviews.

I already own the living room and kitchen. I have never wanted to purchase the dining room, but maybe after I read your review on that set, I may change my mind.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    TRachet wrote:
    You did an amazing job with this review! You totally blew away my expectations! :mrgreen: :thumbup:

:D I'm glad that you like it! I'll be working on the next sets later today!

Maria, I love these sets too! I don't know what it is about them that make me like them so much, I think it's the curves and angles that they use :lol: This is the first time that I've built a house using only the items from these sets and when I had finished it I was blown away with how nice they all look together! There are a few issues with the sets though, but I'll be discussing them in the upcoming reviews :D

Me, thank you for your feedback! I often use reviews or wait for other peoples opinions on a large priced set before I purchase them. When I sat down to set up the review I wanted to incorporate review videos into a written review. I watch Quxxn's reviews and what I like about her reviews is that she will demonstrate how the items are used instead of just posting a videos SHOWING the items.

This isn't a negative against anyone else's reviews, they are still really good. But I prefer reviews which discuss how they can be used in the game. This is something that I hope I was able to show in pictures and writing and something I'll be able to improve upon in future reviews. :D
  • Options
    SimbolicSimbolic Posts: 925 Member
    edited April 2013
    The dining chair in the set is broken, so even if you download a new copy of the set it will still not work.

However, the stand alone store version of the chair has been fixed, so after you've installed the set, uninstall JUST the chair, then download the single item from the store & install it.

You will now have a working dining chair!

ps Nice review :lol:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That's where I went wrong then! I downloaded the dining chair on it's own and reinstalled it (for it to tell me it was already installed haha) and the fix didn't happen. I'll try that. Thank you! If it works it will score better than I was originally intending (only a little though :P )
  • Options
    SimbolicSimbolic Posts: 925 Member
    edited April 2013
    There was a thread about this exact problem in the forum just last week & I tested it out to make sure.

I love the Mid Mod sets :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Now that you mention it I think I might have seen that thread haha! If I remember rightly I only read the first post though (that's all there was). I was confused by the chair not working though because I thought it had been patched at some point.

The amount of hoops I had to jump through to uninstall it though! For some reason my Launcher doesn't show stuff as being installed. The items which are listed in the Installed section isn't even a scratch on what I have installed. The chair wasn't showing up in the Installed section so I had to try to install it again to make it visible in the Installed section. Then I was able to uninstall it. Now it's installed again. Here's hoping it works :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Totally love the pics you added. :D

May I ask how often you will be putting reviews out? Im looking at older sets to add to my list for november sales this year.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thank you, Nytika! :D

I'm currently working on the next review now. I've finished up university for the year so writing the reviews will be giving me something to do lol.

I'll be working on all of the Mid-Century Fantasy sets, the Lullabies and Nursery Rhymes set and Aurora Skies soon. My next review will hopefully be up later today or tomorrow and it will be the Mid-Century Modern Kitchen Marvels and the Mid-Century Modern Dining and Styles sets rolled into one.

Are there any particular sets you are looking at? There is a team of us over at The Sims Topic Team who will be working on doing reviews for the Store sets. If I'm not working on it, chances are that someone else will be working on that set.

EDIT: Also, if you aren't opposed to the idea of Twitter, I've created a Twitter profile for The Sims and I update on there what's happening with my reviews (and also random pictures I was able to take but won't go in a review :D )
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Weealbet wrote:
    Thank you, Nytika! :D

I'm currently working on the next review now. I've finished up university for the year so writing the reviews will be giving me something to do lol.

I'll be working on all of the Mid-Century Fantasy sets, the Lullabies and Nursery Rhymes set and Aurora Skies soon. My next review will hopefully be up later today or tomorrow and it will be the Mid-Century Modern Kitchen Marvels and the Mid-Century Modern Dining and Styles sets rolled into one.

Are there any particular sets you are looking at? There is a team of us over at The Sims Topic Team who will be working on doing reviews for the Store sets. If I'm not working on it, chances are that someone else will be working on that set.

EDIT: Also, if you aren't opposed to the idea of Twitter, I've created a Twitter profile for The Sims and I update on there what's happening with my reviews (and also random pictures I was able to take but won't go in a review :D )

Cant wait for the next one. I love the futureshock set but I cant see the possibilities in it. I am now following you on twitter. not that I use it that much or really know how...lol :oops:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Ah, unfortunately the chances of me getting the Futureshock sets are very low. They design of them doesn't really fit in with my play style. Although they look interesting I know that I wouldn't use them.

They do look like they would go well with Lunar Lakes though, but that World and Barnacle Bay are two worlds I refuse to buy because I would be throwing money away because of my play style lol.

• Options
    iceperson12iceperson12 Posts: 351 New Member
    edited April 2013
    Like I had said before I like your review you did a great job on it keep up the good work. I hope I do a great job that maybe people like my review once I do one and have it put up.