Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hanging Christmas Lights/Decorating

I just downloaded Sims 3 Seasons last night and I'm currently in the winter season. My sim has a wish to hang lights on the house but I can't seem to figure out how. Also is there anyway you can decorate your house with a christmas tree? I hope someone can help me.

Thanks,
Ashleigh

Comments

• Options
    perfectvelvetperfectvelvet Posts: 739 Member
    edited November 2012
    Click on the front door and you can choose between two sets of lights to decorate your house with.

The only Christmas tree is in a free set in the store, but it's not online right now; they are planning to re-release it soon though.
  • Options
    JustRose96JustRose96 Posts: 65 Member
    edited November 2012
    go outside and click on your front door, there should be an option to put up holiday lights and yes :D i have a christmas tree in the game. Its a free item from the store, im not sure if its in a set or not, i'll post the link once i find it
  • Options
    zefiewingszefiewings Posts: 2,649 Member
    edited November 2012
    It's not working for me.
    I don't have a pre-made house, it's a legacy challenge so there is actually not much of a house yet. But there is no options on the door besides "lock". has anyone figured out if there is some sort of "house requirement"?
    ff1pc0.jpg
    My Blog story with the challenge of my own design! Click and see!
  • Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited November 2012
    zefiewings wrote:
    It's not working for me.
    I don't have a pre-made house, it's a legacy challenge so there is actually not much of a house yet. But there is no options on the door besides "lock". has anyone figured out if there is some sort of "house requirement"?
    What season are you in when you are trying to hang the lights?
  • Options
    GabbryroseGabbryrose Posts: 839 Member
    edited November 2012
    LittleV wrote:
    zefiewings wrote:
    It's not working for me.

The season doesn't matter, you can hang lights year round. More likely the OP is playing a house with a flat roof. Those cannot have lights, so the option does not appear.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited November 2012
    zefiewings wrote:
    It's not working for me.
    Try every external door on the lot.

The game's routing system defines the front door as the external door closest to the mailbox, but what we see as closest to the mailbox isn't necessarily what the routing system sees as the closest. Remember, to the routing system, to make a Sim go to a back door on the ground, all the Sim has to do is walk to the door. But to get to a front door that's on foundations or decking, the Sim has to walk to the stairs, climb the stairs, and then walk to the door.

It doesn't always work exactly how I said in the example, but that's the basic reason for the front door not always actually being at the front.
  • Options
    NoirranNoirran Posts: 393 Member
    edited November 2012
    Gabbryrose wrote:
    LittleV wrote:
    zefiewings wrote:
    It's not working for me.

The season doesn't matter, you can hang lights year round. More likely the OP is playing a house with a flat roof. Those cannot have lights, so the option does not appear.

Ahhh I did not know this, bummer.
  • Options
    kyky2010kyky2010 Posts: 23
    edited November 2012
    zefiewings wrote:
    It's not working for me.

I'm having the same problem. I built the house, and it does not have a flat roof (auto roof is on), but my only options are to "lock" it. It is also the only exterior door I have for that house.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    ChristyJChristyJ Posts: 14 New Member
    edited November 2012
    kyky2010 wrote:
    zefiewings wrote:
    It's not working for me.

I'm having the same problem. I built the house, and it does not have a flat roof (auto roof is on), but my only options are to "lock" it. It is also the only exterior door I have for that house.

Any ideas?

I had this issue as well. As soon as I made my house a little bigger I was able to hang lights.
  • Options
    conundrum_dragonconundrum_dragon Posts: 794 Member
    edited November 2012
    I had a flat roof and it went up fine for mine. Didn't look good as it lacked all the angles that make lights look good on a house, But all my hoses are of a good size.
  • Options
    KaelinKittyKaelinKitty Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2012
    my house is big, it's that mansion one in the moonlight falls that came with the game, with lots of rooms and a pool.

I can't get the lights on either :( going to try to fiddle around a bit more but I'm not sure what the issue is for mine.
  • Options
    TRajahTRajah Posts: 2,403 Member
    edited December 2012
    I'm having the same problem. Tried every door, have angled roofing, not auto roof...

ETA: I figured out how to get lights! I have both front and back doors leading onto covered porches, and the porches are exited via archways. When I replaced an archway with a door, I was able to put lights up. And the lights remained when I returned the archway and removed the "external" door.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    kfinchumkfinchum Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    I am having a similar problem right now. Im going to test out the size of the house issue. I dont know about the whole archway thing....sounds like maybe you're just getting lucky there. Lets face it, Sims 3 is an insanely buggy game. BUT I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!
  • Options
    kfinchumkfinchum Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    fyi I just bought a new house, a bigger house, and I can put lights on.
  • Options
    ryan247awesomeryan247awesome Posts: 7
    edited March 2013
    I am sure you cant out christmas lights in the loft rooms in bridge port.
  • Options
    artistgirl67artistgirl67 Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    Well just click the door and BAM like that but im trying to hang them on a high rise building in late night
  • Options
    smaurinesmaurine Posts: 97 Member
    edited September 2013
    Gabbryrose wrote:
    LittleV wrote:
    zefiewings wrote:
    It's not working for me.

I just want to tell you thank you for clearing up my issue with this as well. For the longest time I just couldn't figure out why I couldn't hang lights. I have been playing in a flat-roofed home!

http://www.sarahsimmer.com

• Options
    heartagramheartheartagramheart Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    To hang lights click on ur door and click on set as front door then click on the door again and then u will see holiday house lights.
  • Options
    mirandabeckermirandabecker Posts: 7 New Member
    edited December 2013
    You can also get a CHRISTMAS TREE buy going into buy mode and under rugs there is a green grass rug. Pick one and then go into build mode and get a pine tree that fits in your house and on one of the green rugs. You cant decorate it or anything but its nice to have one in the house around CHRISTMAS