Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the Nvidia GeForce 210 work for the sims 3?

I cant seem to find this one on the list.. but will the NVIDIA® GeForce 210 GPU video card work with the sims?

Comments

• StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited June 2011
    According to the box it will run on Nvidia Geforce series FX5900 or better and all Nvidia G, GT, GTS and GTX cards

Edit: just copied this from the game readme file:-

Windows Supported Video Cards

NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) series
    FX5900 or greater
    G 100, GT 120, GT 130, GTS 150
    GTS 250, GTX 260, GTX 275, GTX 280, GTX 285, GTX 295
    * Please note that the GeForce 6100 and 7100
    cards are not supported

ATI Radeon(TM) series
    9500 Series or greater
    X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
    X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950,
    2400, 2600, 2900
    3450, 3650, 3850, 3870
    4850, 4870, 4890 series or greater

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA)
    GMA 3-Series, GMA 4-Series

EDIT again:_

* The NVIDIA GeForce FX series is unsupported under Vista.
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • enformerenformer Posts: 132 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Right but I dont see where it falls in at. I mean Im not sure of its a G, GT, GTS or GTX. An I dont see a 210 anywhere on that list.. so I am guessing no?
    edited June 2011
    Bump Hopefully someone on the forums has a GeForce 210 and will see this and let you know for definite
    edited June 2011
    Maybe you should edit the title of this post to say.........

""Will a Geforce 210 GPU run Sims3""

That way it will stand out as not everyone reads every post but if the question is in the title they can see it straight away
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited June 2011
    I'm guessing the 210 should work but remains to know how well. If worked hard you may see the fps drop below desired.

I recommend to get as close to a Nvidia 9800 as you can. The 9800 has been around for a while and is a good mid range video card.

The 210 has 16 CUDA cores (shaders) and 64 bit memory interface
    the 9800 has 256 CUDA cores (shaders) and 512 bit memory interface

you can see the big difference in hardware.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
    edited June 2011
    *****7 wrote:
    I'm guessing the 210 should work but remains to know how well. If worked hard you may see the fps drop below desired.

I recommend to get as close to a Nvidia 9800 as you can. The 9800 has been around for a while and is a good mid range video card.

The 210 has 16 CUDA cores (shaders) and 64 bit memory interface
    the 9800 has 256 CUDA cores (shaders) and 512 bit memory interface

you can see the big difference in hardware.

Hmmm.. I am confused as this is what I found on the website i was looking at.

The new EVGA 01G-P3-1312-LR GeForce 210 delivers mind-blowing performance for any gamer who craves breathtaking action sequences that aren't for the faint of heart. Ushering in a new era of high definition graphics, the EVGA 01G-P3-1312-LR GeForce 210 features NVIDIA's first 40nm GPU, Direct X 10.1 and DirectCompute support. This powerhouse video engine supports Native HDMI 1.3a, has a built-in HDMI audio processor, and is completely compatible with Windows 7. The EVGA 01G-P3-1312-LR GeForce 210 boasts 1024MB DDR3 memory, a 589MHz core clock, 1404 MHz shader clock, and 600MHz effective Memory clock.

Is this not good? I dont want to invest in something if it wont work in this game. An from what I see.. there are a bunch of 210s with different specs.
  • gr1zzlygr1zzly Posts: 7,566 Member
    edited June 2011
    See this link. The list says no. But it may work or it may not.

http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

I'm using an ati 5450. It works but the graphics are not the best.
    edited June 2011
    gr1zzly wrote:
    See this link. The list says no. But it may work or it may not.

http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

I'm using an ati 5450. It works but the graphics are not the best.

Thanks for the list. Its very helpful.. although I do question what they say about some of the cards. Because right now I have a geforce 8300 card an it worked fine until I installed generations. Now the game is too dark to see. But I am thinking it is my monitor thats causing the prob. I have a new one coming since its so old lol. And if its no longer dark in the game, then it was that and the current card I have will stay. And well if not.. then i am going to the list an finding a new one.

Thanks again.
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited June 2011
    The problem with entry level gaming graphics cards is that user sees the game will play until the user starts playing with the options and pushing the card beyond it's capabilities causing frame rates to fall below acceptable. Why would you spend $150 for a video card when you can spend $35 for a GeForce 210. The biggest problem with TS3 is the ep/sp's can cause problems that weren't there before unlike other graphical games.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
    edited June 2011
    So Im guessing I should head towards the geforce 9500 to 9800? Those are the top ones right?
  • KshumskiKshumski Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Hi, I just saw this. I may be late in the game but I figured any info could be useful to this forum.

My current video card is a GeForce FX 210. I used to run the Sims 3 fine on this card, the graphics were fine. IT DID RUN SLOWER though if you upped your graphics. It still took A LONG TIME to load. Keep this in mind, even if it works, you should upgrade.

My game now hangs for whatever reason. I think when you have ALL the expansions, it just wipes it out. So I'm looking to upgrade.
    I am no computer expert, I know enough to get me by and figure out some issues. When I run the game WITHOUT custom content, it hangs at the "Welcome to Bridgeport" at 99%. Takes a bit to load, but not bad. At that point is where it sits.

After reading this forum, I found it very useful as GeForce FX 9500-9800 series are not too expensive on Amazon. They are under $100, and I want to invest, but I still can't spend too much money, so I'm trying to get as good as I can without killing my wallet.

I've had a hard time finding anything on this subject to really help me. I need a new graphics card anyway, but all my other requirements are met. I have a ****** computer. It's a few years out of date, but it's still pretty **** good. Sims 3 is the only issue I've ever had running games, it really needs it's own computer. I say that with all seriousness. Real Sims fans probably can second this.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. I am seeing all signs pointing to a new video card, even though the 210 specs are good, there is no doubt it SHOULD run this game, but I just think Sims is just too much for it.

Thanks for this post, it really helped me decide on what video card to purchase.

As always, read reviews, do your research as I am. Don't throw money away until you know what you are purchasing.
  • DocusatDocusat Posts: 2,305 Member
    edited September 2011
    I don't belong in Technical Discussions but I do have an Nvidia GeForce 210. I have all stuff and expansion packs so far. All my settings are on max, with the exception of sim detail which is on 1 below. My game very occasionally gets lag, doesn't like Bridgeport and hasn't quite decided yet on Hidden Springs.

My only concern is that if I play for more than two hours my fan can get a little loud but I'm not sure that's a graphics card issue. My computer specs are ok but probably not brilliant, not sure how relevant it is but hey I'm a perfectionist:

AMD Athlon II x4 620 Processor 2.60GHz with 4 GB RAM

Hope some of that is useful to you.
  • Garnet_AlexandriaGarnet_Alexandria Posts: 1,201 Member
    edited September 2011
    A GeForce G 210 will play the game, but at lower (maybe mid-low?) settings. It's not on the list as it was released after that one was rounded up. If I remember right, it's very similar to the GeForce 9400GT, only it more commonly has a 64-bit bus rather than a 128-bit bus (and this hurts it markedly atop from the GeForce 9400GT it is based off of already being lower tier). Keep in mind that it was worth ~$30-$50 a year and a half ago when it debut, so unless you're finding it for $25 or less, I'd skip it as it's not a good buy then. You can probably find something better, even if more expensive, that will be a lot better for the game.
  • polingsierrapolingsierra Posts: 7
    edited January 2013
    •Processor Brand: Intel
    •Processor Speed: Up to 3.3 Ghz
    •Processor Type: Intel Core i3-3220
    •System RAM: 8 GB
    •Memory RAM Type: DDR3
    •Maximum RAM Supported: 16 GB
    •Total RAM Slots Free: 0 Free/2 Total
    •Data Storage Capacity: 1TB Hard Drive Capacity
    •Hard Drive Speed: 7200 RPM
    •Built-In Graphics Card Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT610
    •Optical Drive Type: DVD±R/RW
    •Maximum Read Speeds: DVD-ROM 24x
    •Maximum Rewrite Speeds: DVD±RW 24x
    •Wired Connectivity: USB 2.0, PS/2
    •Number of USB 2.0 Ports: 4
    •Number of PS/2 Ports: 1
    •Input Types: PS/2, Microphone, RJ-45
    •Output Types: DVI
    •Audio Features: 5.1-Channel Surround Sound5.1-Channel Surround Sound
    •Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Home Premium
    •Accessories Included: Power Cord Adapter, Gaming Keyboard, Gaming Mouse

WILL THIS COMPUTER WORK FOR THE SIMS 3 AND ALLLL OF THE EXPANT. THAT GO WITH I LIKE SEASONS AND THE PETS AND ALL OF THEM I NEED HELP I DONT KNOW IF I AM GOING TO GET A DESK TOP PC THAT WONT WORK FOR THE SIMS AND ALL OF THE ADD ON'S SO I WANT ONE THAT WILL AND EVERYONE I HAVE FOUND WONT SUPPORT ALL OF THE GAMES I HAVE FOUND THIS ONE AND NEED SOME HELP MAKEING SURE THE GAME WILL RUN ON IT AND PLAY FINE WITH ALL THE ADD ON'S TOO

THANKS PLEASE HELP
    SIERRA!
  • IjustwantmodsIjustwantmods Posts: 2
    edited January 2014
    I currently have the Nvidea Geforce 210 graphics card and it does run the game, but it is slower. I have all my graphics setting turned up to the max and I'm sure that's the only reason it runs as slow as it does/crashes/glitches. Although I'm only a kid lol I can't afford a new one, so I make the best of the game play it provides. It does have nice graphics at the cost of speed and some errors. I would recommend shooting for the previously mentioned Nvidea 9800 if you can upgrade. It is a wonderful graphics card and will support the game well.

Happy Simming!