The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Weekly Challenge #82-83 -- The Perfect Plan

AnjubeeAnjubee Posts: 1,935 Member
Welcome to the Build-n-Share Weekly Challenge!

The Build-n-Share challenges will be posted Wednesday of each week and run through the following Wednesday. Results will be posted approximately one week after all entries have been submitted in the Winner's Circle thread.

The benefits
First place will be awarded at all levels. If there are at least eight entries in a category, up to four places will also be announced.

Weekly challenges also create an opportunity for community on the forum site. We get to know one another’s names, share news, builds, and positive words. This is a chance to get your name out there, and hopefully make a few friends along the way.

What makes this challenge different from all the other ones I've seen?
We have been hosting this weekly challenge since the first week the game was released. We have many levels of builders in our community and welcome th em all. This group is truly a product of all its great members!

Within the first few challenges, our group was recognized by the gurus that be, who have helped the weekly challenges gain even more popularity be stickying both Build-n-Share threads. Since then, we have had at least one featured creation almost every week, and our list of featured members continues to grow.

With 3 successful collaborative neighborhoods (Gnomelandia, Summer of Love, and NYC) just about completed, Build-n-Share hopes to bring more creative challenges and new neighborhood ideas to the community with the help of our dedicated participants who willingly contribute and help each week to make sure each challenge runs smoothly.

The rules

All entries must be original work. Any competitor who submits another builder’s work will be disqualified and banned from any future Build-n-Share challenge. These competitors will also be removed from the Builders' Boulevard related websites if they have chosen to join (membership to the site and the Yahoo! group are not required to enter a Build-n-Share challenge).

Please announce your official lot posting using the entry form below. Make sure to leave the "Official Entry" label big. If you need to reformat it, you can do this by highlighting the desired text and then selecting "Big" in the font box above. This will help us see the entries in a sea of posts with no pics to guide us.

Entries must be submitted by the deadline, 7 p.m. Wednesday evening (eastern time, USA).

Your media should include a variety of screenshots to best showcase your entry. Please include at least one clear shot of the main floorplan of the build. If your build has multiple floors, please take a screenshot of each floor.

A description of the five major level categories

Beginner
--I have a little experience, but I'm still figuring a lot of things out. I would not call myself an official "builder" at this point.

Intermediate--I have been building for awhile. I know the basics and maybe a little more. I enjoy building, but it is not my primary focus with the game.

Advanced--I know the Sims, and the Sims knows me. My name is familiar to a lot of veteran players, and I've competed in and won some building challenges and maybe even been recognized in a community showcase or two. I know most of the cheats AND I know how to use them.

Official Build-n-Share Animated Siggy
Want to represent Build-n-Share in your signature? Here is our official signature. Just copy and paste [*img]http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab105/anjubee/bns_fade.gif?t=1251688153[/img] into the signature section under "preferences" and delete the *.

bns_fade.gif?t=1251688153

Build-n-Share Archives
Big thanks to Freynas for putting this together!
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/198045.page

Two additional opportunities
Love to build? Come join us at http://www.buildersboulevard.com . The site offers an additional forum for advertising lots, share tips and tricks, and participate in collaborative neighborhood projects!

We also have a Yahoo! Group for builders. It can be accessed at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/buildersboulevard/ . You do not have to be a member to enter. This group will be used primarily as an announcement center and for some of our more complex polls, and possibly, databases.

Comments

• AnjubeeAnjubee Posts: 1,935 Member
    edited January 2011
    This Week’s Challenge Specifics:
    Challenge deadline: Wednesday, January 26th at 7 p.m. (Eastern time)

. . .
    The Perfect Plan

Hope everyone had an awesome New Year's! To kick this new year off, I thought we would start with a plan challenge. Here it is!

GAR316-LVL1-LI-BL-LG.GIF

Please build according to this plan. The point to this challenge is to see how creative you can be with your interpretation of it. The style of the home can be completely up to you as long as the floorplan is laid out like the above.

Please note that you can ignore any closets if you like since it isn't required for sim living, but feel free to keep them in too.

Please also note that this isn't a mansion, so scale is important. Scale your room sizes appropriately and only build on a huge lot if you plan on landscaping the bejeezus out of it.

You can add a detached garage or carport if you like along with any structural landscaping features as long as it is not part of the floorplan.

There is no budget, so have fun!

Remember to take an overhead shot of your floorplan for judging along with all of your other screenshots!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited January 2011
    Please include the following info in your post:

Official Entry

Name:

Link to the posted asset (link to lot):

Link to media (required for judging):

Optional Challenges entered?:

Constructive Criticism?:

Experience level:

Lot Name:

Lot address, size, and final cost:

Details and Rational:

Credit to any simmers for custom content you used:

To make it more searchable, we would highly appreciate it if you include Build-n-Share in the description of the lot.
    edited January 2011
    Judges and Keepers of the Thread

Your official judges are Princess Natasha, Robodl95, Tristarin, Scoiattolo, and KittKat7147.

Your backup judges are Robb, jessk328, and denisimms.

Freynas is the official organizational guru collecting entrants' names, levels, links, and results!

Judges will post their results in the winner's circle thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/279926.page

Look for results typically a week after the deadline.

Big thanks to our judges and helpers!
    edited January 2011
    Screenshots: Tips and Tricks

Since judging will be based on screenshots, we figured this would be a good time to go over some tips and tricks in taking good screenshots to help showcase your lovely builds.

1) Camera Man Mode - This is a must in taking good shots! You will have to be in live mode to do this, but just hit "TAB" to enter this mode. Once you are in this mode, you can use the mouse to freely control the angles and use "W, A, S, D" buttons to move forward, backwards, and side to side. "Z" zooms in, "X" zooms out. "Q" moves up and "E" moves down. "C" to capture the shot.

2) Find the perfect angle - With photography, it is all about finding the right angle. Spend some time in camera man mode to find the perfect angle. Get down to a sim's point of view to take the best shots of rooms.

3) Walls up - Most people play with walls cut away, but when you are taking pictures of your lot, try to keep your walls up to make your shots look more realistic.

4) No grids - Unless you need to show the grid for a specific purpose, make sure no build/buy grid is visible when you take your pictures. You can avoid this by taking pictures in live mode or by hitting the terrain paint button in build mode.

5) More is better—Weird, huh? But in this case, we want to make sure judges have enough shots to fairly judge your lot. Be sure to show off each room with at least one picture. Also, please include an overhead shot of the floorplan for each level.

Ok, those are the basics! If you want to further your simatography skills, we highly recommend you visit http://simatography.webs.com for more tips and tricks and to see some excellent shots taken by professional simatographers!

Please try to keep this thread as photo free as possible and either create a story, a slide show, a separate thread, or use the stickied photo thread to post shots of your lots!
  • KarimaKarima Posts: 142 New Member
    edited January 2011
    I thought I was good at reading floor plans, but I do have a quick question....
    What does the "L" stand for in the master bath? I'm not sure if it's just "L" for labatory, a ledge or what???
    :roll:Ok, while typing this I think I just answered my own question, lol...maybe it's "L" for linen closet!! That's what I'll go with unless you state otherwise.
    Thanks!
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    edited January 2011
    I think it's very possible the "L" is for linen closet, as there is a second one above the kitchen. Good guess!

And this challenge looks great, I love when there is a floorplan to follow. Could you possibly add upwards on the house...not make extra rooms, necessarily, but have a two story open area over part of the rooms?
  • LeebeejeebeeLeebeejeebee Posts: 116 Member
    edited January 2011
    Looking forward to this! I have a week off next week so I will be able to enter!
  • jostubbsjostubbs Posts: 134 Member
    edited January 2011
    I love this idea and I want to enter. I created something but it won't let me upload it, I keep getting a system error. I'm unsure of why, I'm not using any custom content and can still upload screenshots...? I hope I get it uploaded before the contest ends =)
    Twitter: AussiePlumbob
    Origin: AussiePlumbob
    Sims 3: jostubbs
  • judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited January 2011
    Ahhhh I haven't done one of these in a long time but think I might try this one!!
  • LewisJ12LewisJ12 Posts: 263 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Yay for B-n-S!

Just a little bump to keep it at the top of these forums - Where it belongs!

Ahaha, but also:

misscbong posed a very important question... can we, or can we not, have double height rooms?
  • sjsimmy02sjsimmy02 Posts: 190 Member
    edited January 2011
    Looks like fun! Can't wait to try!
  • KiaraneKiarane Posts: 45 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Not sure what is the big X in the upper right corner of the plan... I assume it would be the water heater? Can we put a shower the instead?
  • KarimaKarima Posts: 142 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Kiarane wrote:
    Not sure what is the big X in the upper right corner of the plan... I assume it would be the water heater? Can we put a shower the instead?[/quote

The "X" is traditionally a shower in most floorplans....that's what I'm making it!
    edited January 2011
    misscbong wrote:
    I think it's very possible the "L" is for linen closet, as there is a second one above the kitchen. Good guess!

And this challenge looks great, I love when there is a floorplan to follow. Could you possibly add upwards on the house...not make extra rooms, necessarily, but have a two story open area over part of the rooms?

I am thinking L is for linen closet, so feel free to ignore! As for 2 story rooms... hmm, I'm ok with that!
  • RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    edited January 2011
  • chiaopichiaopi Posts: 464 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Some Acronyms:

CLG: Ceiling
    DW: Dishwasher
    VLTD CLG: Vaulted Ceiling
    STOR: Storage
    REF: Refrigerator
    L: Linen cabinet

In Utility room:
    W: Washing machine
    D: Dryer

Hope this helps :-)

• jostubbsjostubbs Posts: 134 Member
    edited January 2011
    I've never entered on of these before so I hope this is correct:

Official Entry

Name: jostubbs (Joanne)

Link to the posted asset (link to lot): http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3627051

Link to media (required for judging): http://s328.photobucket.com/albums/l357/joannestubbings/Build%20n%20Share%2082/

Optional Challenges entered?: None

Constructive Criticism?: Absolutely, yes please!

Experience level: Probably a beginner, this is only the second lot I've uploaded.

Lot Name: BuildnShare 82-83 White Cottage

Address - 2200 Pinochle Point
    Lot Size - 30x30
    Cost furnished - $79,691
    Cost unfurnished - $52,194

Details and Rational: I like to build clean and crisp looking lots and tend to shy away from patterns since I heard they cause trouble with uploading to the exchange. Tried to stick fairly closely to the floor plan, including closets, although some abbreviations I was unsure of. Just learning landscaping too!

Credit to any simmers for custom content you used: No custom content used.
    Twitter: AussiePlumbob
    Origin: AussiePlumbob
    Sims 3: jostubbs
  • mj1976mj1976 Posts: 234 New Member
    edited January 2011
    jostubbs (Joanne) beautiful lot if thats only your second upload i think you should upload more, nice job, recd :D
  • LewisJ12LewisJ12 Posts: 263 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Official Entry

Name: LewisJ12

Link to the posted asset (link to lot):

TheModernPlan.png

Link to media (required for judging): http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/329042.page

Optional Challenges entered?: N/A

Constructive Criticism?: Yes Please :)

Experience level: Intermediate

Lot Name: The Modern Plan

Lot address, size, and final cost: I'll have to come back to you on address, but it was 30X30 and $128,328.

Details and Rational: As soon as I saw this challenge I had many many ideas. However, once I got in game, I knew exactly what I was after and so I created this modern home exactly to plan (at least it should be! :S). When The actual house was completed I felt as though something was missing so I landscaped with a fountain, rock features, masses of flowers, a few trees and the all important lap pool!

Inside I used green and the wood from the outside as the accents and so their are random splashes of green here and there and the wood gives it a cozy atmosphere (at least that's what I think :P). Double height ceilings were used in the dinning room and partially in the kitchen as well as a sloping double height ceiling in the bedrooms, bathrooms and the hallway. I might just add: Moveobjects on is an amazing cheat! Use it well! It has helped me so much with this challenge :)

Fingers crossed that you like it! :)

Credit to any simmers for custom content you used: The only CC used are the windows. It's amazing what one piece of CC can do :P So Thanks to _________ (I'll update with the simmer who created it when I find out who it is)

By the way Anju, I loved this challenge and would love to see more like it! It's great to formulate a load of ideas just from one simple drawing :mrgreen:
  • 8NiSci88NiSci8 Posts: 1,735 Member
    edited January 2011
    Official Entry

02.jpg

Name: 8NiSci8

Link to the Posted Asset: Sakura Sanctuary Lot

Link to Media: Sakura Sanctuary Media

Optional Challenges Entered?: n/a

Constructive Criticism?: Yes please! :mrgreen:

Experience Level: Intermediate

Lot Name: Sakura Sanctuary

Lot Address: 220 South Shang Simla Hills

Lot Size: 40x40

Unfurnished Cost: $103,529

Furnished Cost: $128,042

Details and Rational: Hey guys. This is my first attempt at a build-n-share challenge. I've been building Asian inspired houses lately, so I thought I'd continue on that meme with this challenge. I'm really happy with the results. :mrgreen: The living space follows the given floor plan, while the pagodas are purely for decorative purposes. There is also a large water feature and cherry tree garden (hopefully I followed all of the rules). This house accommodates up to five Sims.

Custom Content: There are two decorative store items included in this lot (I'm pretty sure they're both in free sets).
  • MiddleclawMiddleclaw Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2011
    My first ever upload to the exchange. Olde hat at playing Sims 3 since June 2009 but usually been playing the stock houses. I decided to enter this challenge for the challenge and to get some input.

Official Entry

Name: Middleclaw

Link to the posted asset: Hosgrove House
    Link to media: Guided Tour

Optional Challenges entered: Not Applicable

Constructive Criticism: Aye, very much so.

Experience level: Beginner

Lot Name: Hosgrove House

- - Address: 2250 Pinochle Point
    - - Lot Size: 30 × 30
    - - Unfurnished § 64,021
    - - Furnished § 127,549

Details and Rational: This semi modernistic home features two single bedrooms and a double bedroom with en-suite bathroom and an additional bathroom, a kitchen with all the amenities, dining room, library alcove, and laundry area, entrance patio and a back patio. Additional features include a garage with a workshop, a shaded area for those of a painter’s persuasion, back garden for those that love fresh grown vegetables and a nearby rest spot under the shade of a tree, a swimming pool with a lounge area and an outdoor barbeque and front yard pond sporting a two tier fountain.

Credit to any simmers for custom content you used: No custom content used.

EDIT: Corrected Spelling
  • LandaXLandaX Posts: 229 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Official Entry

Name: LandaX

Link to the posted asset: Won't upload :( Might try again later.
    Link to media: http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/Yo_Landa01/According to Plan/?albumview=slideshow

Optional Challenges entered: None

Constructive Criticism: Yes, please.

Experience level: Intermediate

Lot Name: According to Plan

Lot address, size, and final cost: 18 Maywood Lane, 20x30, $135,652 furnished, $76,032 unfurnished.

Details and Rational: I wanted to make a house that seemed cosy, yet very modern. So I used a lot of primary colors around the house, along with lots of black, white and browns. The bedroom with the vaulted ceiling is my favorite part, it reminds me of a magical forest, while remaining elegant and inviting. There are lots of places to sit and entertain company in the home. I did have to remove a wall in order to get rid of the "impenetrable blackness" that CFE causes. So, there's a window without a wall behind it in the laundry room. I hope you enjoy the house!

Credit to any simmers for custom content you used: Store items, some items by Angela@TSR.
  • jessk328jessk328 Posts: 249 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Wow! So many entries already...YAY!

LandaX: For the current challenges, we are only using three experience levels, so you will have to decide whether to go up or down a level...my guess would be UP!! :)
  • LandaXLandaX Posts: 229 New Member
    edited January 2011
    @jessk328 Oh jeez! It's been so long since I've entered, I didn't even think to check. I think I'll stick with intermediate, though, since that was the level I was at the last time we switched to the 5 tier system.

Thanks!
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    edited January 2011
    Official Entry

Name: kimjo313

Link to the posted asset (link to lot): http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3644611

Link to media (required for judging):
    http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=295337
    Optional Challenges entered?:

Constructive Criticism?: sure

Experience level: ???? my level was eliminated

Lot Name: Walden Woods Cabin

Lot address, size, and final cost: 2400 Pinochle Point Sunset Valley
    40x30 $137,339.00

Details and Rational: After building the walls using the floor plan, I played around with differnet roof ideas. While playing I decided to make it a cabin. An angler/ gardener family of 5 moved in so the decor has alot of "fish"! The landscaping was done to represent a rather rustic wild theme. Perfect for a family of "love the outdoors" types. Favorite colors for the family are reflected in their bedrooms and the rest of the cabin is done in autumn/forest type colors.

Credit to any simmers for custom content you used: none. Only sp/ep/and store items

To make it more searchable, we would highly appreciate it if you include Build-n-Share in the description of the lot.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln