Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Weekly Challenge #49 -- Spring Designer Showdown!

AnjubeeAnjubee Posts: 1,935 Member
Welcome to the Build-n-Share Weekly Challenge!

The Build-n-Share challenges will be posted Wednesday of each week and run through the following Wednesday. Results will be posted approximately one week after all entries have been submitted in the Winner's Circle thread.

The benefits
First place will be awarded at all levels. If there are at least eight entries in a category, up to four places will also be announced.

Weekly challenges also create an opportunity for community on the forum site. We get to know one another’s names, share news, builds, and positive words. This is a chance to get your name out there, and hopefully make a few friends along the way.

What makes this challenge different from all the other ones I've seen?
We have been hosting this weekly challenge since the first week the game was released. We have many levels of builders in our community and welcome th em all. This group is truly a product of all its great members!

Within the first few challenges, our group was recognized by the gurus that be, who have helped the weekly challenges gain even more popularity be stickying both Build-n-Share threads. Since then, we have had at least one featured creation almost every week, and our list of featured members continues to grow.

With 3 successful collaborative neighborhoods (Gnomelandia, Summer of Love, and NYC) just about completed, Build-n-Share hopes to bring more creative challenges and new neighborhood ideas to the community with the help of our dedicated participants who willingly contribute and help each week to make sure each challenge runs smoothly.

The rules

All entries must be original work. Any competitor who submits another builder’s work will be disqualified and banned from any future Build-n-Share challenge. These competitors will also be removed from the Builders' Boulevard related websites if they have chosen to join (membership to the site and the Yahoo! group are not required to enter a Build-n-Share challenge).

Please announce your official lot posting using the entry form below. Make sure to leave the "Official Entry" label big. If you need to reformat it, you can do this by highlighting the desired text and then selecting "Big" in the font box above. This will help us see the entries in a sea of posts with no pics to guide us.

Entries must be submitted by the deadline, 7 p.m. Wednesday evening (eastern time, USA).

A description of the five major level categories

Beginner
--I have a little experience, but I'm still figuring a lot of things out. I would not call myself an official "builder" at this point.

Beginner/Intermediate--I have a little more experience, but I'm just not sure yet about that leap up to "intermediate."

Intermediate--I have been building for awhile. I know the basics and maybe a little more. I enjoy building, but it is not my primary focus with the game.

Intermediate-Advanced--I'm getting pretty comfortable, but I want just a little more practice before entering on the top level.

Advanced--I know the Sims, and the Sims knows me. My name is familiar to a lot of veteran players, and I've competed in and won some building challenges and maybe even been recognized in a community showcase or two. I know most of the cheats AND I know how to use them.

Official Build-n-Share Animated Siggy
Want to represent Build-n-Share in your signature? Here is our official signature. Just copy and paste [*img]http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab105/anjubee/bns_fade.gif?t=1251688153[/img] into the signature section under "preferences" and delete the *.

bns_fade.gif?t=1251688153

Build-n-Share Archives
Big thanks to Freynas for putting this together!
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/198045.page

Two additional opportunities
Love to build? Come join us at http://www.buildersboulevard.com . The site offers an additional forum for advertising lots, share tips and tricks, and participate in collaborative neighborhood projects!

We also have a Yahoo! Group for builders. It can be accessed at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/buildersboulevard/ . You do not have to be a member to enter. This group will be used primarily as an announcement center and for some of our more complex polls, and possibly, databases.

Comments

• AnjubeeAnjubee Posts: 1,935 Member
    edited May 2010
    This Week’s Challenge Specifics:
    Challenge deadline: Wednesday, May 19th at 7 p.m. (Eastern time)

. . .

Spring Designer Showdown

Calling all designers!

It is that time again! Time to let your style truly shine and compete in the Spring Designer Showdown!

We saw some amazing results and even some featured lots with the Fall Designer Showdown and Winter Designer Showdown, so lets ramp it up even more this time and dazzle the masses with your designer magic.

Link to the Fall Designer Showdown thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/115346.page#1379038
    Link to the Winter Designer Showdown thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/165511.page

This is the house!

bns49.png

Download from The Exchange

Rules and details:

* You can change anything but the foundation, walls, and general roof shape
    * Yes, all walls, foundation, and roof shape must remain the same
    * You can add, delete, change, and relocate any windows and doors
    * You can designate the rooms however you like
    * You can't change the roof shape, but you can change the texture and color
    * You can add fireplaces
    * You can change, add or delete any columns and fencing
    * This must be on a 30x30 lot
    * The final cost of the house should not exceed 100k simoleans
    * The theme is completely up to you. It does not have to be spring themed
    * You do not need any expansion packs to compete
    * CC is allowed, but please list/link/credit them when you submit so downloaders can find them!

Ready... Set... GO!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited May 2010
    Please include the following info in your post:

Official Entry

Name:

Link to the posted asset (link to lot):

Link to media (required for judging):

Optional Challenges entered?:

Constructive Criticism?:

Experience level:

Lot Name:

Lot address, size, and final cost:

Details and Rational:

Credit to any simmers for custom content you used:

To make it more searchable, we would highly appreciate it if you include Build-n-Share in the description of the lot.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited May 2010
    Screenshots: Tips and Tricks

Since judging will now be based on screenshots, we figured this would be a good time to go over some tips and tricks in taking good screenshots to help showcase your lovely builds.

1) Camera Man Mode - This is a must in taking good shots! You will have to be in live mode to do this, but just hit "TAB" to enter this mode. Once you are in this mode, you can use the mouse to freely control the angles and use "W, A, S, D" buttons to move forward, backwards, and side to side. "Z" zooms in, "X" zooms out. "Q" moves up and "E" moves down. "C" to capture the shot.

2) Find the perfect angle - With photography, it is all about finding the right angle. Spend some time in camera man mode to find the perfect angle. Get down to a sim's point of view to take the best shots of rooms.

3) Walls up - Most people play with walls cut away, but when you are taking pictures of your lot, try to keep your walls up to make your shots look more realistic.

4) No grids - Unless you need to show the grid for a specific purpose, make sure no build/buy grid is visible when you take your pictures. You can avoid this by taking pictures in live mode or by hitting the terrain paint button in build mode.

Ok, those are the basics! If you want to further your simatography skills, we highly recommend you visit http://simatography.webs.com for more tips and tricks and to see some excellent shots taken by professional simatographers!

Please try to keep this thread as photo free as possible and either create a story, a slide show, a separate thread, or use the stickied photo thread to post shots of your lots!
    edited May 2010
    Judges and Keepers of the Thread

Your official judges are Tota, Robodl95, Robb, Cameonet, and KitKat7145.

Your backup judge is Fidlerten.

Freynas is the official organizational guru collecting entrants' names, levels, links, and results!

Judges will post their results in the winner's circle thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/47204.page

Look for results typically a week after the deadline.

Big thanks to our judges and helpers!
  • fieryfemalefieryfemale Posts: 1,593 New Member
    edited May 2010
    ohhh exciting, will def be giving this one a go. Has been a while since I joined in with the build n share.

Just one question, although we cant change any walls etc. Can we add walls etc onto the house? I.e. make bigger or does the exterior shape have to remain exactly the same apart from being able to move windows doors etc.

edited May 2010
    Yay, FF!

To clarify, you can't add any walls, foundation, or even roof pieces. The general shape of the house has to remain the same. As well as the rooms inside. This is a pure decorating challenge with no structure building! I will allow the addition of a gazebo or some such for landscaping purposes though.
  • kimwriter75kimwriter75 Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited May 2010
    This made me laugh a bit. :mrgreen:

* You can change anything but the foundation, walls, and general roof shape
    * Yes, all walls, foundation, and roof shape must remain the same

Hopefully this will be clear. lol. :mrgreen:
    Imagination > Knowledge
  • ciaracaffciaracaff Posts: 815 Member
    edited May 2010
    Yes! I loved the last showdowns so I am defiantly going to take part, especially after a two week break for B-n-S Challenges.

Nice to see a big budget as well.

Going to start tomorrow. :)
  • OhHeyLuckyOhHeyLucky Posts: 1,338 Member
    edited May 2010
    Wow, fantastic challenge this week.

If I have time to do this, I'd love to participate, I'm just not sure of my level. I think that I'm maybe around Intermediate? :? I'm not new to building, but I'm not so experienced that I could probably win anything, lol.
  • LandaXLandaX Posts: 229 New Member
    edited May 2010
    I love these challenges! Mostly because I really don't like building the shells of houses, heh!

This should be interesting though...
  • Nick52PlayNick52Play Posts: 8 New Member
    edited May 2010
    This is my first time in Build-n-Share! and i'm really exited with the things i can do to this house! I think in Sims 3 id rather redesign than create a house... :)
  • RealWarRealWar Posts: 36
    edited May 2010
    OK, can we ADD doors and windows?
    edited May 2010
    RealWar: Yes

Nick52Play: Welcome to the challenge! Looking forward to see what you do with the shell. :)

xXAngelicEvilXx: Enter at whatever level you are comfortable at. :) If you are sorely out of place, your judge will bump ya.

kimwriter: Hehee! Hopefully!

I'm off for the evening. I will check back late night tonight for any other questions.

Happy designing! :mrgreen:
  • JustinaLynnJustinaLynn Posts: 73
    edited May 2010
    I'm in! this is my first time doing this so I'm gona try it out. :mrgreen:

a few questions, can you put a driveway or a pool in the lawn? and do you have to make your own textures on furniture and walls or just use them on the game? just asking before I jump in. :wink:
  • fieryfemalefieryfemale Posts: 1,593 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Anjubee wrote:
    Yay, FF!

To clarify, you can't add any walls, foundation, or even roof pieces. The general shape of the house has to remain the same. As well as the rooms inside. This is a pure decorating challenge with no structure building! I will allow the addition of a gazebo or some such for landscaping purposes though.

thanks, I thought so, just wanted to double check ;)

I am looking forward to starting this one :)
  • DenisimmsDenisimms Posts: 127 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Ohh this sounds like fun! I think I will join this one. Just wish the beginner results from #44 downsized were in first. I am not sure if I should still be in beginner being that we don't actually have to make the structure... I still need lots of work on that. But I have never tried CFE or use cc and still have LOTS to learn.
  • LandaXLandaX Posts: 229 New Member
    edited May 2010
    We can't adjust the foundation...but what about a sunken area, such as a living room? Would that be all right as long as the exterior looks the same?
  • snakecharmersnakecharmer Posts: 435 Member
    edited May 2010
    Hello all, this will be my second buildnshare challenge. i was just wondering are we allowed to use cheats? such as buydebug? thanks in advance xx
  • PeppaharrisonPeppaharrison Posts: 19 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Ok Im new to this but I will give it a try.
    Official Entry

Name: PeppaHarrison

Link to the posted asset (link to lot): http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2354519

Link to media (required for judging): http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v208/peppa_anne/?action=view&current=d5d77719.pbw

Optional Challenges entered?:

Experience level: Beginner

Lot Name: Spring Designer Showdown(??)

Lot address, size, and final cost: 477 Sunnyside Blvd. 30x30. 97,002.

Details and Rational:

If your judge has any constructive criticism about your lot, do you want them to share their comments when posting their results? Sure, Why not?

Credit to any simmers for custom content you used: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=378176
    edited May 2010
    Peppaharrison: Welcome to the challenge! And, wow, are you fast!

LandaX: I'm gonna have to say no to be fair, as I stated that the foundation can't be changed at all.

Denisimms: Robodl95 has been busy lately and has asked for a judging break. We are in the process of getting a backup judge to do those weeks! Sorry for keeping you waiting!

JustinaLynn: Yes, feel free to add anything and change anything as long as the structure remains the same (foundation, walls, roofing). This is a decorating showdown, so your Create-a-Style skills are being challenged!
  • golden_glowgolden_glow Posts: 862 Member
    edited May 2010
    I have to make time for this. I am going into exam season so don't have a lot of time for challenges at the moment but I loved the winter showdown so I have to do this one. Also, I haven't entered since the new categories were added. I was in intermediate before, can someone take a look at my studio and advise me what new category to be in please?
  • vesna10vesna10 Posts: 155 New Member
    edited May 2010
    i woud like to sing up bat my luncher alwajs tells me there is an eror when i tray to aploade pictures can eny one tell me haw tofix the problem so i can yoin the chalange
  • DenisimmsDenisimms Posts: 127 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Anjubee, I figured as much, and am not really impatient :-) But it is good to hear what is going on with that. Ok, now to get started on this challenge. I love useing CAS!!
    Anjubee wrote:
    Denisimms: Robodl95 has been busy lately and has asked for a judging break. We are in the process of getting a backup judge to do those weeks! Sorry for keeping you waiting!
  • snakecharmersnakecharmer Posts: 435 Member
    edited May 2010
    any reply about using buydebug? i dont want to do it and enter is its not aloud, and i dont want to leave it out if it is? PLEASE???? x
  • zenmiseryzenmisery Posts: 52 New Member
    edited May 2010
    What about stairs? Can we change and move them?