Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Infants - unpopular opinion... possible to skip infant life stage?

So, I'm welcoming the infant just as much as others, but playing a large save on rotation I can't focus on infant details in every single family. Some will focus on this, while others will have their focus elsewhere. I really hope there will be an option to skip the infant life stage. Like going directly from baby to toddler, like today. When clicking crib there could be two options for age up. Then everyone would be happy :)

Before you say they can simply have a birthday right away - I'll say that most of my sims already base their life on eating cakes, thanks to the constant birthdays in a household. Unless they introduce the "birthday salad" dish, celebrating the infant's birthday with another cake just to skip this life stage, is not an option.

If some of you heard any info on this, please share.
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2023
    I really don't believe this will be the case. Nothing was confirmed but my my thinking is that we cannot skip any other lifestage. We have to age them up so I don't see infants being any different. If you do not want to do the Cake you can age them up in CAS? I actually never have birthdays witch is kinda sad now that I think of it lol. I do everything in CAS.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I really don't believe this will be the case. Nothing was confirmed but my my thinking is that we cannot skip any other lifestage. We have to age them up so I don't see infants being any different. If you do not want to do the Cake you can age them up in CAS? I actually never have birthdays witch is kinda sad now that I think of it lol. I do everything in CAS.

Ah, yes, hopefully they can be aged up in CAS, that would help although having the option on the crib would be time saving. Let's see.

I do have some birthdays, it can be either fun or chaos, LOL. Guess hardly understand they should move over to the birthday sim in time for the aging, so seen from a child's pow it is most often a rather lonely experience even if everyone were offered cake.

What's worst for a kid:
    1. Your folks forgot to throw a birthday party for you.
    2. Your folks threw a birthday party, but all your guests (incl. mom and dad) chose to do their own stuff in other rooms rather than cheering as you blow those cake candles.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,833 Member
    I love birthday parties! I've never not had family and guests gather around to cheer the person aging up.

Do you have any desire to at least play through one infant stage just to see what's involved? There may be advantages gained in the infant stage similar to toddlers earning the Top Notch trait.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,446 Member
    So, I'm welcoming the infant just as much as others, but playing a large save on rotation I can't focus on infant details in every single family. Some will focus on this, while others will have their focus elsewhere. I really hope there will be an option to skip the infant life stage. Like going directly from baby to toddler, like today. When clicking crib there could be two options for age up. Then everyone would be happy :)

Before you say they can simply have a birthday right away - I'll say that most of my sims already base their life on eating cakes, thanks to the constant birthdays in a household. Unless they introduce the "birthday salad" dish, celebrating the infant's birthday with another cake just to skip this life stage, is not an option.

I'm also a rotational player, so I feel this. And while it's not an immediate concern for me, I will, at some point, have to update my game, and most likely will only play infants once in a while, or on limited time.

It would be nice if we were able to just click on the infant while holding them to age them up. Hopefully it will be as easy as aging babies.
    #Team Occult
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited February 2023
    I would caution against aging up in CAS because it can cause errors with the traits on the sim kid, it's just better to go with the birthday cake option.

ETA: It only seems to be an issue when aging young sims, once they're teens it seems to be ok to age them to YA+ in CAS.
    I love birthday parties! I've never not had family and guests gather around to cheer the person aging up.

Do you have any desire to at least play through one infant stage just to see what's involved? There may be advantages gained in the infant stage similar to toddlers earning the Top Notch trait.

Oh, I will definitely play *many* infants, I'm not negative to them being added at all. Thing is that I currently play about 110+ households actively, and if I should focus on the new - and may I say very short - life stage in all those families, there would not be time to focus on anything else. If someone could guarantee that I will live on for minimum 150 more years, fine. I play nearly daily, but the game offers so much so there is not enough time to play all sims through their infant stage. If I did, I would get tons of warnings that infant get neglected and will be taken away. I just recently started to focus on toddlers' skills which also requires full focus on them for minimum 3 simdays. On a big rotation like mine this is not possible unless you play "200" hours every week... that's why I want to focus on a few infants, and skip the others.

I need to know more about game mechanism, though (ie how infants help toddler building skills), but those 200 weekly hours will not be possible no matter what ;)
    Catzilla wrote: »
    I would caution against aging up in CAS because it can cause errors with the traits on the sim kid, it's just better to go with the birthday cake option.

ETA: It only seems to be an issue when aging young sims, once they're teens it seems to be ok to age them to YA+ in CAS.

Thanks for the warning. I never age up sims in CAS, because (last time I checked) their day count will not be reset, so they will be aged up to next stage early by the game. Guess all this might depend on aging settings. What works for one game, might not be optimal in another game.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,849 Member
    I'm sure there will be an in-game manual aging option just as all current life stages have them (either bassinet or cake).
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2023

Ah, yes, hopefully they can be aged up in CAS, that would help although having the option on the crib would be time saving. Let's see.

I do have some birthdays, it can be either fun or chaos, LOL. Guess hardly understand they should move over to the birthday sim in time for the aging, so seen from a child's pow it is most often a rather lonely experience even if everyone were offered cake.

What's worst for a kid:
    2. Your folks threw a birthday party, but all your guests (incl. mom and dad) chose to do their own stuff in other rooms rather than cheering as you blow those cake candles.

I'm thinking they will be aged up by cakes, based on the birthday party aspect of the Infants trailer.

Note: Gameplay wise the only thing needed to avoid a Sad "Forgotten Birthday" moodlet, is to age a sim up manually via a birthday cake. It doesn't even matter if they are alone.

However, due to their early age I'm hoping having infant birthday cake/parties is more of an optional thing, because in reality they would be too young to understand what it's about. You might still need a cake to age them up early, but I'm hoping you won't need one to avoid them being Sad and can allow them to age autonomously.

Either way, keeping them alive (not taken away) until they age up will likely be the main goals of infanthood, with any extra achievement being more along the lines of bonus gameplay (milestones were implied to be gates to new abilities).
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    edited February 2023
    Me just now realizing that actually my sims probably have thrown more cakes in trash than they've eaten what a cruel simgod I am :lol: just aging them and removing the food worst bday ever

but yeah i think its gonna be about as skippable as the other lifestages in game if you feel like skipping it
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,495 Member
    edited February 2023

What's worst for a kid:

I hear you on that. Even when you have each member of the family click on the cake to celebrate, in my experience they either do so before the Birthday Sim even is in the room, and then then disappear to who-knows-where, like you suggested to do their own thing. :open_mouth: I do wish this functioned better. If there's a mod for it, I'd snap that one up in a heartbeat. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

What's worst for a kid:

I hear you on that. Even when you have each member of the family click on the cake to celebrate, in my experience they either do so before the Birthday Sim even is in the room, and then then disappear to who-knows-where, like you suggested to do their own thing. :open_mouth: I do wish this functioned better. If there's a mod for it, I'd snap that one up in a heartbeat. :)

I tend to group sims and say "Go here together" before disbanding the group and blowing out the candles.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I rarely age up my TS4 sims, at least so far (I usually start moving generations forward more quickly as we get toward the end of a Sims game iteration, once we have most of the packs). But I could have sworn you could just right click on either the sim or the mailbox to age them up manually, if you have testingcheats on. But I might be thinking of TS2 and/or TS3.
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member

What's worst for a kid:

I was watching a sims 4 let's play video. She was trying to get everyone in one room, but had a lot of trouble with it. She then turned free will off and told everyone to go where she wanted and they did and they stayed there. Next Birthday I'm going to try that.
  • LuvtehGeeksLuvtehGeeks Posts: 1,663 Member
    edited February 2023
    Don't forget you can put another set of candle's on the same cake after blowing out the first set like we do when twins have a birthday. You can also just click bassinet for first age up.
    graphics-kisses-hugs-822976.gif
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Don't forget you can put another set of candle's on the same cake after blowing out the first set like we do when twins have a birthday. You can also just click bassinet for first age up.

I do this for my sims, especially with twins. Bake cake, put candles on it, first sim blows out candles. Nobody grabs a bite autonomously, light candles again, next sim blows out candles (or same sim, depending). Cake goes into trash bin or recycler.
  • Tardisblue1110Tardisblue1110 Posts: 1 New Member
    If you want to instantly age the infant up you can open the cheats panel on the infant and go to cheat sims info and select age up
    If you want to instantly age the infant up you can open the cheats panel on the infant and go to cheat sims info and select age up

Ah thanks! We used to do that with any age years ago, but they removed the cheat. Glad it's back for infants! Also, I found that aging them in CAS is fine to, as I would do it before they lived a day of their life stage so toddler stage would be rather from start.

I like the infats more tan I expected, they are so cute and cool. I just have so many and I want to focus on more aspects of the game.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    Can't the UI Cheats mod help with this? You can set the age by right-clicking on the age bar in the Simology tab and set the days (positive and negative). Also, maybe MCCC.

If nothing else, use the birthday cake and then immediately throw it away. I do this a lot because all my sims want to eat is cake if I keep it.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
    Can't the UI Cheats mod help with this? You can set the age by right-clicking on the age bar in the Simology tab and set the days (positive and negative). Also, maybe MCCC.

If nothing else, use the birthday cake and then immediately throw it away. I do this a lot because all my sims want to eat is cake if I keep it.

Oh, thanks a lot! I use UI Cheat for so many things but never learned all the possibilities, and I never tried to click that bar! This will be so useful and time saving not only for infants!
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited March 2023
    Catzilla wrote: »

I agree on this. Avoid aging up in CAS if possible. Or MCCC. I mostly used either the no-mod cas.fulleditmode and/or the mod MCCC to age down rather than age up occasionally.

To age up an Infant to toddler works just the same as aging up a toddler to child. Have the infant selected. Click on the cake with candles. Ask someone for help to blow out the candles. (However it's written in-game). Takes a few minutes of them wandering around after aging up from newborn before it will allow you to age them up. Keep that in mind.

And yes I also tend to throw out the cake when done, haha! And have other food ready to eat. :D;)

Again @Catzilla good point. YA/A/E don't affect traits on a Sim aging up or down. But the yonder ones messing around with 'cheat' aging does for sure.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member

I use the cake, BUT I don't let them eat it. If another birthday is coming I will put candles back on and stick it back into the frig. or I just throw it away.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

Awww!!! You all make Marie Antoinette sad. :(
    Let them eat cake!

(kidding) :D
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png