Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do any Devs exclusively play on console?

After some recent discussion I am curious to know if there are any Devs on The Sims 4 Dev Team that exclusively play on the console? By which I mean do not touch the PC version of the game at all (and also play using a controller rather than mouse/keyboard).

As there are many of us that have never played the PC version and have only ever played on console with a controller it would be interesting to know how many Devs can share our experience and advocate for us when it comes to updates and improvements for the console.

*This isn't a "console vs PC" debate, I know many people assume PC is superior and I know many console users feel we need mods, please start another thread if you wish to discuss these things because they are worth talking about, just not here.

Thank you.

Comments

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023

I think it’s probably doubtful that many if any devs would play solely on console but they certainly have played on console and test on console because generally the game plays very very well on console. It’s been a very good port all things considered.

A lot of what console players usually complain about is simply hardware limitations. Mods are a separate thing mostly out of their control and it has issues running on last gen consoles in the same way it struggles on older PCs.

But generally it performs well on the latest gen and we have great parity with the PC version in terms of features, release dates etc.

What has happened here with the build mode controls seems like they’ve tried to do something with the controls, and I’m sure it was well meaning, but it accidentally made the game worse. But they are looking into it and I expect that we’ll get a fix in another patch.

Let’s keep it in proportion and remember this is a very rare occurrence. I personally can’t remember previous patches making console specific problems.

• GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member

I appreciate your reply thank you for taking time to write it. I understand that mods are out of their control which is why I've asked for it not to be discussed in this thread (I personally wouldn't play with mods anyway but that's besides the point).

You are right, I agree that the game runs very well, and the graphics are extremely beautiful on console, this is by far the best Sims game for console. I am sure it is extensively play tested.

My question was partially inspired by the current issue, but not completely. In general I think it would be nice to have team members who are exclusive console players for both The Sims 4 and future games for many reasons.

I apologise if it seemed I was complaining, although I am unhappy with the latest update I promise that this post was a separate and genuine question (do any Devs exclusively play console?) and suggestion (could we have Devs in the future that do exclusively play console).

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023

I think that’s a really good suggestion! I don’t know how big their dev team is. Or how much their dev team would play sims 4 anyway, if it was me I’d never want to see the game out of work 😂😬. But yes it’s really important that some people have a very good idea of what is going on and how console performs. I think they’re trying to make it more like PC when it works really well as it is! But I just posted because I feel like generally it is usually pretty good, despite all the complaints here. I hope they fix the new issue soon though 😞.

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Graham has said on live streams in the past he plays on console.
    I’m not sure if it’s because I play on both pc and console but I really don’t have any issues with the new console controls at all.
  • _natalie_natalie Posts: 582 Member
    I know EA Answers is the place to report issues, but it would be nice to know who to talk to when you have general queries concerning the TS4 on console.
    She/Her. 👩🏻
    PlayStation. 🎮
    United Kingdom. 🇬🇧
  • StephenJHollowayStephenJHolloway Posts: 71 Member
    I highly doubt that any of the devs play on console. I would be surprised if any of them do.
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    @EA_Cade I am really curious to get an answer to this question now as regarding the more recent (30/05) changes to console controls EA have stated that they believe these changes "reduce the overall complexity" of playing on console.

As someone who plays exclusively on console, I do not consider the original controls to be complicated at all. I am sure many other exclusive console plays would agree.

To give such a statement must mean that there are some Devs that only play on console, right?
  • AnnieGoesThedasAnnieGoesThedas Posts: 6 New Member
    > @GirlFromIpanema said:
    > As someone who plays exclusively on console, I do not consider the original controls to be complicated at all. I am sure many other exclusive console plays would agree.

Seconding this! I bought and tried Sims 4 for PC, never got used to mouse/keyboard, and happily switched to console. Playing since 2018, I always found the original controls quite intuitive and easy to use. Preferences differ, I guess! That's why it's so great that the game is sold on both consoles and PC, so players can ideally choose what they prefer!

If not exclusively, are there Devs playing mainly on console?