Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Accessibility Issues for Disabled Players Since Jan 31 Update

GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member

Hello,

The 31/01 console controller update seems to be causing issues for some players.

There is currently a thread on AnswersHQ where players are being invited to share their feedback regarding the new update:

Update:

I've change the title of the thread as it was created before I realised how much players with disabilities had been impacted by the update and I wanted to make sure it was highlighted as it's really important and shouldn't be ignored. Updates shouldn't make the game less accessible for players.

For those of you who are unaware, some players with disabilities or conditions that cause issues in their hands and wrists etc. (such as arthritis) are finding the new console controls really difficult and at times painful to use. Having to hold down different buttons to manually scroll or search through swatches is really difficult.

Many players have been unable to play at all for the past months as they cannot physically use the controllers.

Using a mouse and keyboard is not feasible for everyone and those who have chosen to play on a console should not be forced to play with a keyboard and mouse.

It's been marked as solved on Answers HQ but the thread is still growing so if you'd like more information or to share your own feedback (that EA have promised they are reviewing), please check it out.

Thank you

Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• ApricusApricus Posts: 671 Member
    edited February 2023
    The old controls were fine…I’m not exactly sure why they changed them.
    It’s reassuring to know that the crashes just isn’t a me issue.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • pacer1965pacer1965 Posts: 77 Member
    Thank you for posting.I did play after the update.But not gone in build mode yet
  • ReaganboganReaganbogan Posts: 277 Member
    edited February 2023

Opened my game for the first time. Can't click through different swatches. I had to use the filter to get a particular color. Also my d pad isn't working to scroll in bb..I have to use the cursor and physically slide to page down.

Not sure if I just haven't figured out the controls or if these are bugs?

Edit: figured out the swatch thing but when I click the swatch it's clicking on whatever item it is next to. I'm pressing X to place the object and it's not grabbing it.

^testing further, I'm having trouble after I click the swatches in build (not buy) I can't place an object like a door. Edit: Not all the build swatches are doing this.

I do not know what is going on. I was able to place a door then I tired to again but I couldn't pull it up. I have the door, I click x and it doesn't come up. Tried picking the swatch first, it still isn't available to place.

Post edited by Reaganbogan on

Can we no longer minimize the bb menu? I like to take screenshots of my builds without that at the bottom.

• GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member

@reaganbogan I haven't personally updates to the new controls yet, but apparently the menu stays open now, there is no option to close it.

I keep hearing about the undo button being removed. I have (often, somehow) accidentally deleted entire floors/rooms and have had to quickly use the undo button.

Ok thanks for the info @GirlFromIpanema.I feel like bb is loading quicker with the catalog already up so that's a plus

I've also discovered I can't use L2 to resize objects. Keeps switching to the search menu pulling up the keyboard.

edited February 2023

Faster loading is a plus!

I have to admit I haven't updates to the new controls yet because of negative reports from players with conditions like arthritis who are now having difficulty playing, and I have similar issues with my hands so I am a bit worried.

So I'm still collecting feedback for myself until I decide what to do haha.

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023

Some comments here are not correct at least on PS5. You can resize by holding left and right triggers and moving the d-pad, exactly the same as before. You can undo with the left trigger same as always. Swatches still work although we access them differently.

That being said the intuitivity of this system is not as good and I wouldn’t want to do a large build with it. This really feels like it is not a console control scheme but a keyboard and mouse one being pushed to work on a controller. Its more like what you would have expected initially from a PC port but it feels like a backwards step from the intuitive controls we already had.

It may be easier for PC players to adjust because they’ve seen it before, but I keep wanting to just cycle with the left and right buttons and sometimes I can and sometimes I can’t depending on what cursor mode I’m in.

In this picture I can only move the cursor around the picture of the room in the left corner and can’t highlight any items or the build itself. I also can’t use the D Pad here at all. I will have to press the controller pad to switch modes to be able to move the cursor outside of that window or use the cursor to click on one of the categories.

Once in the next mode I can’t select any items by moving left and right or view more by moving down. I have to move the cursor over to the menu and either pick my item that way or pull down on the scroll bar like in the picture below.

If I want to randomly press square on a pillar to change its swatch, sometimes I can, sometimes I can’t, all depends on what cursor mode I’m in. It’s much more frustrating to use.

The catalogues are always open so the bottom fifth of the screen is always covered instead of just the left corner as before. You can see less of your build and as someone said it’s not good for screenshots. Console build mode was clearly designed to keep as much UI off the screen as possible so it’s jarring to have this unable to close now. I also don’t understand why it’s showing me items that I can’t even select because I’m not in the right cursor mode.

I am not adverse to change, I know some people are but I really am fine with changes. But I do not see any advantage of this new system, perhaps there is something I’m missing but it seems there is nothing improved, at least if you use controller. It’s just more cluttered and more complex to use. It will take me more time not less, and I don’t find it as intuitive or fun to use.

I hope they’ll revert these changes or give us the option to use the controls we had. Again it may be an improvement for keyboard/mouse but for me it’s not as good as the controller scheme we already had (that was honestly very good!). I wouldn’t update console right now unless you have to.

Post edited by JustinB113 on
  • Ginger0802Ginger0802 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @JustinB113 said:
    > I am not adverse to change, I know some people are but I really am fine with changes. But I do not see any advantage of this new system, perhaps there is something I’m missing but it seems there is nothing improved, at least if you use controller. It’s just more cluttered and more complex to use. It will take me more time not less, and I don’t find it as intuitive or fun to use.
    > I hope they’ll revert these changes or give us the option to use the controls we had. Again it may be an improvement for keyboard/mouse but for me it’s not as good as the controller scheme we already had (that was honestly very good!). I wouldn’t update console right now unless you have to.

I love building and, honestly, this control update has sucked so much fun out of the game for me that I'm considering just not playing unless they make it something you can opt out of or they fix it.
  • ApricusApricus Posts: 671 Member
    I just want to be able to play the game without crashing
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • CrystalKasursalCrystalKasursal Posts: 13 New Member
    Along with the difficulty of pressing back, I have to constantly monitor the button layouts. Although placing an object with the resizing feature opens the packs tab or switches floors, I think that's because it's which part of the UI is selected. It's just way more extra steps and micromanagement... And it sucks that it automatically loads the All tab for each category.

While I appreciate this on behalf of those experiencing crashes (and the quickness of this response) it would have been nice if the negative response to the control changes had been acknowledged as that is the main issue. Ignoring it makes it seem like the elephant in the room. Saying that, I am sure there are many conversations going on behind closed doors and we will get some news soon.

Thank you @simgirl1010 for keeping everyone updated!

• EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,262 EA Community Manager
    While I appreciate this on behalf of those experiencing crashes (and the quickness of this response) it would have been nice if the negative response to the control changes had been acknowledged as that is the main issue. Ignoring it makes it seem like the elephant in the room. Saying that, I am sure there are many conversations going on behind closed doors and we will get some news soon.
    Thank you @simgirl1010 for keeping everyone updated!

Heya,

Sorry for the delay in replying here (this came in while I was out of office). We're closely monitoring the thread on Answers HQ on console control feedback.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    I hate the new build mode update, not being able to close the catalogue, the way everything has to be manually navigated with the cursor instead of the using shortcut buttons on the controller, can’t scroll with the joystick anymore.. I don’t understand why they’ve done this in the first place, it worked perfectly fine!
  • ddd994 wrote: »
    I hate the new build mode update, not being able to close the catalogue, the way everything has to be manually navigated with the cursor instead of the using shortcut buttons on the controller, can’t scroll with the joystick anymore.. I don’t understand why they’ve done this in the first place, it worked perfectly fine!

I agree 100%, they tried to fix what wasn't broken.
  • Tequila_Rose_13191Tequila_Rose_13191 Posts: 143 Member
    I absolutely hate the changes!
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Almost 44 pages of feedback and 262 "Me Too" on EA answers about this update and still no response. Thats sad, because for example I'm avoiding to play The Sims because of that.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Consoles/Console-Controller-Feedback/td-p/11776350
    I am surprised (and disappointed) that there has been no response.

I feel sorry for those who claim to be unable to play now due to disabilities. As Sims 4 does so much to promote inclusivity, I hope these players are considered and that something is done.

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023
    I’m getting more used to the controls. It’s not as good as it was but I do like being able to flick through swatches with the square button and I probably actually get to see more items with the new system than I did the old one.

I don’t put too much into the numbers of pages on that feedback thread because at least half of it is the same people posting every few days to let EA know that they’re still angry. I think the overall amount of individual feedback is pretty low.

Also have to consider they’re preparing for an expansion pack release right now. I do wonder if maybe they didn’t make the old controls work with Growing Together. I do think there will be changes to the new scheme but we might have to wait.
  • animevampanimevamp Posts: 136 Member
    @JustinB113 to be fair not everyone that plays on console uses the forums or even know the feedback thread exists.

I watched a little simsie video the other day covering the pj set drama and there where console players the comments that were completely unaware of the update and assumed it was just a problem with their game.
  • MissWB7MissWB7 Posts: 1 New Member
    I really dislike the new build menu. I liked being able to minimize it. Also it takes a few minutes to open the objects by function because they all have to load instead of just one function. Please make it able to be changed back if we want it to.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top