March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Infants Coming March 14!

Comments

• telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member

I mentioned somewhere really wanting a changing table, but now I'm thinking it won't happen. All of the Sims turn to change outfits, so I guess it makes sense they just turn their babies to change diapers.

I think we will get backpacks and no strollers as well.

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,336 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    I mentioned somewhere really wanting a changing table, but now I'm thinking it won't happen. All of the Sims turn to change outfits, so I guess it makes sense they just turn their babies to change diapers.

They should at least enable us to put them on a chair on the bikes.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,632 Member
    I'm super curious if we have strollers. Really would love to have them. If we don't get them I imagine it's because they couldn't make them work well. I would be willing to settle for that baby carrying bag on the back though 😏

I'd like to have a stroller even if it could not leave the home lot, but was a way to put the infant to sleep outside in the shadow. Not during a Winter storm, though :) Maybe we will get cc "stroller cribs" eventually?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2023

I thought I'd read somewhere about a changing table...
    *Edit: From the blog: "Caregivers will have new ways of playing and caring for their infants with the Changing Station and Infant Playmat"
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/news/the-sims-4-grow-together-guided-tour

You probably figured that out by now, but here's the info in case someone else doesn't know.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2023
    IceyJ wrote: »
    They are a new life stage and babies will be set free as well.

Where did someone say the babies would be set free as well?

Children can interact with newborns, so I don't think we should jump to conclusions. I'd be ecstatic if newborns were free too, but we have no confirmation of that.

They didn’t, but that along with several stories when the news broke made the statement that babies would no longer be considered objects by the game makes me feel like we’re going to get one of our biggest wishes granted. Graham’s comment makes me hopeful that newborns will no longer be tied to their bassinets. There was also a reference made to being able to pick them up and pass them to another sim. That is another comment that gives me hope that babies have finally been freed.

Babies have finally been freed. They're called infants. :) All of these references were talking about the new infants, but I guess we'll find out for sure in the livestream.
    Post edited by IceyJ on
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,514 Member
    edited February 2023
    They are a new life stage and babies will be set free as well.

Where did someone say the babies would be set free as well?

Children can interact with newborns, so I don't think we should jump to conclusions. I'd be ecstatic if newborns were free too, but we have no confirmation of that.

They didn’t, but that along with several stories when the news broke made the statement that babies would no longer be considered objects by the game makes me feel like we’re going to get one of our biggest wishes granted. Graham’s comment makes me hopeful that newborns will no longer be tied to their bassinets. There was also a reference made to being able to pick them up and pass them to another sim. That is another comment that gives me hope that babies have finally been freed.

Babies have finally been freed. They're called infants. :) All of these references were talking about the new infants, but I'll guess we'll find out for sure in the livestream.

I got caught up in what Graham said and that may have been a slip on his part or it may be something real. The way the devs may be looking at this is the newborn stage would be that period where the baby hasn't learned how to hold themselves up and really doesn't have even the basic motor skills. The infant stage would be where they begin to get those skills but still haven't begun to learn how to walk.

If I remember correctly they have been talking about this adding a life stage. I could be wrong about that too, but as you said we will find out soon.🙂
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,206 Member
    edited February 2023
    people, as in family or friends. Not just random people. It would be rather peculiar if a random person just walked over and handed you their infant. Instead of “hold my beer” it would be “hold my infant”.
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 Believe it or not, something similar actually happened to me when I was a teenager. The woman didn't physically hand me her baby, but left a stroller with the baby inside at a bus stop where I was waiting and asked me to watch over it until she came back - me, a complete stranger with a perpetually grumpy expression! Of course, the baby was safe with me, I generally don't have a problem with small children as long as they don't scream, talk to me, look at me funny, breathe too loudly, or make their existence known to me in any other way. But still, I could have been anyone. That was the most irresponsible thing I've ever seen a parent do in real life.

@telemwill According to the trailer, there will indeed be a changing table. How functional it will be, what exactly you can do with it and whether it also works with babies and toddlers remains to be seen, however.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,008 Member

Sorry I am not more excited about this feature. I know I’m in the minority.

If there was a button I could press to skip added life stages I would more happy. There should be more choice or buttons added in options. I have never minded from the get go when babies became children. It was a relief not to deal with the drama of younger Sims.

I have my Sims adopting children when I want them or make the family in CAS and move them in. Toddlers appearing in the townie pool with families are grouped so I can track them.

My first concern was will infants spawn with the townie families and increase the size?

When playing TS3 Molly French was always leaving her toddler Sandi behind when she left. It’s still annoying that when that happens. I think in that game the toddler is teleported home when you leave the lot or their needs drop. Will that system be in TS4?

I hope infants won’t crawl onto community lots or parents bringing them and leaving them behind like above in TS3. Will I have to call the parents back? I don’t want to add stuff on lots for a life stage l won’t use.

It’s frustrating when you don’t want a feature that most people do.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member

There is a way to skip. Have them age up right after

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It would be nice if we had a real social worker to walk onto the lot to take away neglected babies, infants and toddlers, and not just magical social services that teleport them away.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited February 2023

Yes, I was very excited when I saw the changing tables in the trailer. I squealed quite a bit. I hadn't seen any indication they were coming and has given up on them.

Sorry quotes are not working @GrumpyGlowfish and @IceyJ .

• BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,274 Member
    Very exciting! I wonder if the onesies from knifty knitting pack will be made available for infants as well🤔
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited February 2023
    There is a way to skip. Have them age up right after

Thanks for idea. 😎 I’ll just continue adopting or make families in CAS. No natural births. Police the townie pool when I spot them. When I decide to play Sims 4 next.

I was thinking 🤔 why not have a pop up on the bassinet? You could select the age.

Or at least have toggles in the options to select age groups you want to play with.

I just don’t understand why it’s forced. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Not everyone wants these features.

I would like the choice, that’s all.

Post edited by ncisGibbs02 on
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,514 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    It would be nice if we had a real social worker to walk onto the lot to take away neglected babies, infants and toddlers, and not just magical social services that teleport them away.

I would love that. And also adding the neglected ones into the adoption pool so that they can be adopted by a different family.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,105 Member
    Very exciting! I wonder if the onesies from knifty knitting pack will be made available for infants as well🤔

I hope so.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • deedles64deedles64 Posts: 149 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

I would love that. And also adding the neglected ones into the adoption pool so that they can be adopted by a different family.

Now that would be awesome!
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,791 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 @GrumpyGlowfish Once when minisprite was a baby, I was waiting in line to use the restroom with her in my arms, and a random lady came up to us and offered to hold minisprite while I used the restroom. She seemed nice enough, but nevertheless I refused.

gen3-banner.png
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 Believe it or not, something similar actually happened to me when I was a teenager. The woman didn't physically hand me her baby, but left a stroller with the baby inside at a bus stop where I was waiting and asked me to watch over it until she came back - me, a complete stranger with a perpetually grumpy expression! Of course, the baby was safe with me, I generally don't have a problem with small children as long as they don't scream, talk to me, look at me funny, breathe too loudly, or make their existence known to me in any other way. But still, I could have been anyone. That was the most irresponsible thing I've ever seen a parent do in real life.

@GrumpyGlowfish That’s pretty mad. I can understand that under extreme circumstances people may ask a total stranger to protect their child, but leaving it at the bus stop with a teenager for a while seems a bit random. I hope this wasn’t too traumatizing. I know for a fact that teenage me (also perpetually grumpy looking) would have been pretty freaked out: My Goodness me what if that parent never returns and i have to look after this kid me entire life?! Thinking clearly was clearly not something I was able to do as a teenager. Although I’m quite sure that on a scale of zero to a billion, zero strangers would have asked teenage me to look after their bebe…(not that they’d ask me now).

However…
    What I do occasionally experience, is random toddlers or wee children calling me “daddy” in public. I wonder if other males on here have come across situations like this? Apparently it’s quite a common phenomenon, especially when the child’s father is not present or when the toddler has so little vocabulary, it’s clueless about what it’s actually saying to this random dude.

Indeed, I had to research this after it happened TWICE to me in one week, for I thought I was going ab-sow-loot-ly bonkers. I seriously believed this was one twisted conspiracy and the kids knew more than me because I definitely didn’t recognize their mothers (but I ain’t that bad).
    Now that I’m of a certain age - I won’t tell my age, but I look like someone in his early-ish thirty-ish - this keeps happening. It happens when I’m alone, but it also happens when I’m with my male friend: there was this instance where a little girl, she must have been 5 or 6 of something, waved at us from a car park and yelled “HI DADDY!!”
    She most certainly looked directly at one of us. Could’ve been either or. We ignored her altogether; in that moment we were too much in shock to even acknowledge the poor kid (and why would you, right?) although now we make fun of it all the time, “something you didn’t tell me buddy?”.
    It feels extremely weird and freakishly personal and uncomfortable when you’re the only person in the vicinity and the mother gives you this hateful look. 😆

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 @GrumpyGlowfish Once when minisprite was a baby, I was waiting in line to use the restroom with her in my arms, and a random lady came up to us and offered to hold minisprite while I used the restroom. She seemed nice enough, but nevertheless I refused.

I love that you call your little one “minisprite” 😅.
    I’m not too surprised about people offering to help, I’d like to think that most of us have kindness in our hearts, but I’m sure parental instincts are pretty intense and fierce and rightly so.
    I sometimes offer to help with carrying baby buggies down a few steps, however, the mother almost always refuses. I don’t look particularly untrustworthy, but they just don’t want me near their kids for whatever reason. Perhaps if a female offered to help it would be different?

I know for a fact that they’d be struggling to get the buggy down, but all I can do is respect the parent’s wishes and carry on with me own business and just buy that darn burrito for that was probably my main goal anyway. 🌯
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I really have no idea what I'm going to do with babies. The only couples I have right now are the regular premades that I don't play. Yo, sims, would anyone like to fall in love? ...and now they are all running away, screaming "I'm single and lovin' it!"

I'll have to give this some thought.
  • LuvtehGeeksLuvtehGeeks Posts: 1,648 Member
    Isharell wrote: »
    The only couples I have right now are the regular premades that I don't play. Yo, sims, would anyone like to fall in love? ...and now they are all running away, screaming "I'm single and lovin' it!"
    LoL I was so happy to see the cowplant eat Caleb a second time while he had the buff, I was absolutely ready to see him gone but no matter how many new 'friends' I've made for my sim Mel and her kids they all refuse to even so much as flirt with other sims because they are all 'single and lovin it'.

graphics-kisses-hugs-822976.gif
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,216 Member
    While I'm happy for everyone who wanted this, I don't understand the decision to add infants as a new lifestate between babies and toddlers. I would have made them even smaller and just replaced the existing babies altogether. Because right now, I can barely tell them apart from toddlers, and we'll still have to deal with the object babies nevertheless.

Yes, it adds a layer of realism to the natural ageing process, but at the same time, it makes the age gap between children and teenagers even more glaring. Now we have three life stages for sims aged 5 and younger, but only two for sims aged between 6 and 18. I've never been among the crowd asking for preteens, but given the choice, they would have made a lot more sense to me than these new infants.

Oh well... Six more weeks until their release, and surely there will be more information in the meantime. Perhaps they'll grow on me after all.

I think we'll just have to wait until we see them for ourselves in our game. Camera angles being what they are. I'm just hoping to be wonderfully surprised by all they didn't show us. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Isharell wrote: »
    The only couples I have right now are the regular premades that I don't play. Yo, sims, would anyone like to fall in love? ...and now they are all running away, screaming "I'm single and lovin' it!"
    LoL I was so happy to see the cowplant eat Caleb a second time while he had the buff, I was absolutely ready to see him gone but no matter how many new 'friends' I've made for my sim Mel and her kids they all refuse to even so much as flirt with other sims because they are all 'single and lovin it'.

@LuvtehGeeks I'm so glad I'm not the only one with sims like these. They are all so contrary!
  • yumemitchiyumemitchi Posts: 24 Member
    26 days left ! ! ! i'm so happy ! ! !૮꒰⸝⸝. ̫ .⸝⸝꒱ა
    i love pink ૮꒰ ⸝⸝ . ̫ . ⸝⸝ ꒱ა 💕💕1yo8yva6q5ot.jpg
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,925 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    graventhe wrote: »
    I love how people want EA to rush infants then complain about them being broken on release.. this a whole new life stage it needs tons of coding and work

But with things like EA app bugs yeah it should be bug free by now
    No one wants them to be rushed or buggy. But by the time they come it will be almost half a year since they announced it which is a long time both by their standards and by industry standards for a patch.

They haven’t released anything substantial since July 2022 so a patch in February 2023 isn’t exactly rushing. If they’re broken now they’ll almost certainly be broken in March.

The community has jumped to conclusions about when the patch would be and are partly responsible for getting their expectations up, but Maxis could have been better at setting expectations for sure. They’ve known people have been excited and keeping pregnant sims since the start of January, and they’ve made no effort at all to tone that down until today.

It’s only natural that people are disappointed that ‘early 2023’ turns out to be one of the latest dates you could possibly get away with calling it that.
    Lol, I have had newborn sims since almost 2014 waiting for a baby update….. lol!