Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Stanton Murder- Mystery story.

GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
Screenshot-45.jpg
Evelyn was new to Hickory Hollow, having moved here from upstate New York. She stepped off the train and took a deep breathe of fresh air and looked around. She was amazed at how quaint this town, and enjoyed the view, not paying attention to where she was going she bumped into the sheriff. "My apologies, sir. I didn't mean to." She said.

Screenshot-49.jpg
"My fault, miss. I was too focused on the case, and forgot my manners. "The man smiles, showing perfect white teeth,"My name is David Baker. I'm the Sheriff here in Hickory Hollow. And you are?"

Screenshot-46.jpg
"My name is Evelyn Foster, I just moved here from Upstate New York." The sheriff was a young handsome man, with deep brown eyes and brown hair. His eyes showed authority, but kindness. Evelyn returned the smile.

Screenshot-47.jpg
"Well, welcome, Miss Foster, to Hickory Hollow. Let me give you a little tour, shall I?" He gestures to the town around you, a small place with cobblestone streets twisting around buildings that almost look straight from a fairy tale. "As you see, Hickory Hollow is not large, and yet it is a bustling center for trade and industry - though mostly with a focus on agriculture and livestock. What brings you to Hickory Hollow, Miss Foster?" He smiles.

Screenshot-48.jpg
"I am writing a novel. And needed a town for my story. I was looking for that small town feel, the type of place where everyone knew each other. And strong family ethics." I researched for a while and Hickory Hollow seemed to fit the description.

"Well, you came to the right place then! In Hickory Hollow you will find that everyone knows everyone. That is not to say the people are stuck up - they are an incredible friendly lot, with an undying love for family. We are a family oriented town. What will your novel be about?"David looks curious, and his voice softens with interest.

"It is a Christmas Romance novel. I am planning to release for the upcoming holiday season." She said smiling.

David's face brightens. "That is fantastic, Miss Foster. Everyone here can appreciate a good romance, so I'm sure you will be a hit once you release it to the world. I would say it's a good place for inspiration, don't you? " The sheriff motions to the small buildings around you, their lights sparkling against the dark sky. "It's a town with a certain charm that makes you never want to leave."

I should give you the grand tour. There's not much to see, but we can stop by the town hall, the general store, and a few other places."

Screenshot-50.jpg
David leads Evelyn down the street towards the main strip. "Here on my right is the general store, the book store, and the Bank. And at the end of the street is our local church. That's where you'll find most folks on Sunday, Miss Foster; everyone here is a God fearing town. We like to be kind to one another and do what is righteous by God." He pauses, looking towards you. "But of course, you do not have to attend church with us if you'd prefer not to. We do not judge."

"On the contrary, I attend church every Sunday morning. This is perfect." She smiled sweetly. Making notes of places to explore further.

"Well, I suppose you've come to the right place, Miss Foster. In this town we believe in family, community, god, and hard work. I am sure some of the locals will invite you to join them for dinner, or if they know you are a writer, perhaps they will share their stories. If you keep your mind open, I'm sure you will leave here inspired, inspired to tell the story of Hickory Hollow, to honor this wonderful place." He looks up, and you look up too. You have arrived at the town hall. "Shall we continue?"

Screenshot-52.jpg
"This is up ahead the city hall, where we make the rules, and elect leaders. This is where you'll find the mayor, and where we vote for new representatives." David looks proud as he points to the building. "This is a small town, but to us, this building means a lot. We try to help one another and work as a community, so that we may all prosper." David begins walking again, towards a house that is larger than the others, and has a gate that separates the family from the others around. "This is The Manor. Edward Stanton's estate.

Screenshot-7.jpg
"Ah, I was wondering where this house was." Evelyn stated. "I recently purchased it and will be living here
while I write my novel."

David's face turns grey. "You... bought the Manor? Miss Foster, are you sure you want to live here? I hate to warn you away... but... Miss Foster, that house is..." He looks down, like he just swallowed something sour. "That's... a dangerous place for someone to live."

David hesitates. "Well, it's only this town's biggest unsolved murder! No one knows who killed Edward Stanton three years ago, so the house is now infamous. A woman, your age, bought the house last year; no one ever saw her again." He sighs, and gestures around again. "We are a tight knit community, so we tend to look out for one another. We like people to live here so that they might contribute and grow to be a helpful citizen. But I'm not going to lie to you, Miss Foster. What you are getting into is something dark."

Screenshot-9.jpg
David hesitates. "Well, it's only this town's biggest unsolved murder! No one knows who killed Edward Stanton three years ago, so the house is now infamous. A woman, your age, bought the house last year; no one ever saw her again." He sighs, and gestures around again. "We are a tight knit community, so we tend to look out for one another. We like people to live here so that they might contribute and grow to be a helpful citizen. But I'm not going to lie to you, Miss Foster. What you are getting into is something dark."

Evelyn:"I see. That is a terrible story, for sure. But I would think the killer wouldn't hang around. He'd go somewhere else by now."

David: "Perhaps. But some things... some things are more complicated than that. Some things that happen, they aren't so simple. When an evil happens, it's not always solved as simply as 'oh, the killer simply moved on.' Sometimes that evil hangs around, and corrupts this town with its presence. At the risk of sounding superstitious, I don't know if the killer moved on. And I'm not the only one to think that.

Evelyn: "I will be wary of my surroundings then. She said looking up at him.

David hakes his head and sighs. "I am sorry, Miss Foster, to have come on so strongly; but I needed to let you know. I wanted you to know what this town feels, the dark side of it. We have some skeletons in our closet, Miss Foster, but we are a strong town, a small community that looks out for one another. We can stand up against the evil, we just need to be brave. And don't be afraid to ask us for help. We all have to take care of our neighbor around here." He smiles warmly.
Post edited by GraceyManor on

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Screenshot-2.jpg
    The day ends, and night falls on Hickory Hollow. Evelyn moves into her new Manor house, and are now alone for the night. It is a large house, with many hallways and rooms that may take some getting used to. She finds the kitchen and living room, and headsto the staircase which leads to the second floor. Her mind can't help but wander to what David said earlier. Maybe it was just superstition, but something about this place is unsettling to you. As she prepares to go up the staircase, she hears a voice echoing in the house.

"Miss Foster? Miss Foster? Are you there?"

Evelyn looks up "is someone there?"

In the darkness she catches a shadow, a figure in a suit moving to the base of the stairs. It is impossible to see from the dim light, but the figure calls out again.

Screenshot-4.jpg

"Down there... you are at the bottom of the staircase. May I come down?" He sounds so polite, almost like a gentleman... despite his ominous appearance.

"Yes, you may."

Screenshot-5.jpg
    He steps into the light, and you see a well dressed man in a black suit and red tie. , and she sees his face for the first time - he looks like a very charming man, despite his dark clothing and eyes of steel. His voice is soft, polite, very kind... and very unsettling.

"My apologies, Miss Foster." He takes off his hat, and bows. "My name is Edward Stanton. I'm the reason you have purchased this house, am I not?"

"Edward Stanton?" Evelyn looked at him curiously. "Then the home is haunted." She slowly meets his gaze. "Yes, I recently purchased the home."

Screenshot-6.jpg
    If it is possible, he looks even more polite. His deep smile reaches his eyes, making them sparkle in the dim light. He stands, and the dark suit seems to absorb the light around him.

"Miss Foster, whatever gave you the idea that I am a ghost?" he asks. He gestures to a nearby chair. "Perhaps you would like to sit down and explain?"

"But...you were murdered were you not? "

Edward smiles, and nods. "Yes, I was murdered three years ago. I am dead, Miss Foster - though I would not go so far as to call myself a ghost. I'm sure you understand." He gestures to a nearby chair. "Would you like to sit down?"

"I beg your pardon, I don't mean to come off as rude. I'm just trying to understand." She said apologizing.

Screenshot-6.jpg
    Edward smiles, seemingly not minding the directness. "That is alright. I would rather hear the truth than an empty, meaningless platitude. I was killed, I am dead, and I am a spirit. I am not alive, so I am a spirit. A ghost, however, is much more vicious. They have much less control over their existence than I do."

Screenshot-9.jpg
    "I must admit that you are the first person to ever be confused by my state of being, Miss Foster. I'm impressed - it is a hard thing to understand, unless one has had personal experience with it... like myself." He offers her an almost apologetic smile. "I was killed three years ago, and yet I am here before you now. My body may be dead, but my essence survived. I am as whole as I ever was, just... incorporeal. It is difficult to explain, I must say."

Screenshot-11.jpg
    Edward: You would be surprised at how many people don't have the ability to grasp this concept. You do not have to worry - unless of course you believe that a dead man is a threat." He smiles again. His eyes do not reflect any malevolence - only... a certain air of confidence.
    Evelyn: "I do not feel threatened by you." She nodded. "If I did, I wouldn't be casually talking to you."

Edward seemed pleased, and even chuckled a little at this. "My, you might be the most open-minded person I have ever met." He smiled, his dark eyes reflecting a hint of kindness now. "Then if you are not threatened, may I have the honor of inquiring why you've bought this house?"

"It might absolutely sound crazy, but while I was browsing for homes in Hickory Hollow, something about this home caught my attention. I enjoy historical homes, but something just seemed to say this is the right house. I don't know, I just got good vibes from it. And I must say, I entered a bidding war to get it. I almost didn't. But I wanted THIS house."

As they spoke she heard a group of teens about to vandalize the property. She gets up and looks out the window

Screenshot-12.jpg
    Edward's ears perk up as the conversation is interrupted by a faint noise. He stands, and joins you at the window. Outside, you see a group of men in their late teens and early twenties. The group seems to be making a game out of seeing who can hit the house with a baseball first. They are moving with reckless abandon, and if they continue they will likely cause damage to your new home.

Screenshot-13.jpg
    Evelyn slowly walks downstairs and opens the front door "hello may I help you?"

As she opens the door, the group of men seem to freeze for a moment. The oldest looking of the group, a boy with black hair and al cap, speaks. "Oh, uh, yeah. We were just having a bit of fun, nothing much." He looks back up at the rest of his friends as if to get their approval - the group seems to all nod, their faces blank of any remorse for their actions.

"You were gonna vandalize the home yes? Sit down. I would like to explain to you all why vandalizing a home, especially this home, is not a wise idea." She gave them a glare that sent chills down their spine. They did as she said.

The oldest of the group (he looks maybe 19 or 20, and seems to be the one most in charge of the rest of the children) looks uncomfortable. He sits down, and his friends follow. He looks at his friends, looking for an excuse to leave - but no one budges. They sit down. They have all clearly fallen under her charm.

Screenshot-14.jpg
    "The home has a life you know... Look at the windows, they are the very eyes of the home. They watch your every movement." She points to the window. "Did you know when you vandalize a home, it makes the house angry... And you never want to make a house angry." She said eerily.

Screenshot-15.jpg

The boys look terrified. No one utters a word - and she feels a tinge of guilt; the last thing she wanted to do was terrify these men. None of them seem to be evil, just misguided. "But..." she continues "sometimes, if these poor homes become too angry, they do things in retaliation." The boys glance at the windows, like they expect to see the face of an angry, sentient house ready to do battle.

"Even the trees can hear you, listen carefully and you can hear the voices of years gone by." She smirked
    Edward remains in the shadows, but he decides to put his ghostly powers to use.

A faint sound of footsteps appears in the doorway. The boys all look towards the sound - no one is there. A shadow appears at the other end of the house... and it slowly begins to glide towards the boys. They see a dark figure approaching them, and they all let out a collective scream.

The boys scream again. One of them, seemingly the most brave of the group, stands up to face the shadow. His hands tremble, but he is standing up for his friends. It is at this moment that Evelyn notices that Edward is not visible, but she can hear his thoughts. He whispers "keep going," and she feels the presence of others within the house, watching.

Screenshot-16.jpg
    She glares at them "When hinges creak in doorless chambers." Her voice says with eerieness "And strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls." Edward ups his ghostly powers.

The boys are paralyzed with fear. A figure seems to appear within the house - a figure dressed in a suit and a tophat, his eyes dark and his face is like shadow, though the figure appears humanoid. The figure gestures at the boys, as if beckoning them to come forward.

The boys scream one more time, and a figure steps out of the shadow. Edward, in his ghostly form, has become a dark man with red eyes and a top hat. The boys fall backwards towards the wall, as if trying to run away - but they are too late. Edward grabs one of the boys, and the rest of the group rush out of the house. Edward smiles, and then fades back into the darkness. His voice echoes from the other end of the house. "... and in the darkness, the most horrifying things lurk."

Screenshot-17.jpg

The boys take off running and promise never to bother the home again. Edward turns the lights back on and reappears, both he and Evelyn were laughing.

Screenshot-19.jpg
    "Bravo Mr. Stanton. Your personal touch really added to my tale." They both laughed.

Edward smiled. "Thank you. I do not mean to brag, but I must admit, these 'little effects,' as you might call them - they have gotten very efficient. I appreciate your help. You were very good at thinking of this on the spot, and with very little preparation I may add. You are an excellent storyteller, Miss Foster."

"I suppose that's why I'm author." She nodded. "I doubt we'll see them back again, though I might become known as the crazy lady down the street." She giggled

Screenshot-20.jpg
    "Who is to say that is such a bad thing?" Edward laughs. "Who is not intrigued by the crazy lady on the street? If anything, that will bring more excitement and attention to the manor house, which is quite beneficial. So I say, let the rumors spread. Let everybody in Hickory Hollow be scared of us. I do not mind."

"I actually might like that, it would help with my writing."

Then so be it, dear. I shall be the silent protector guarding the mansion, and you can be the mysterious woman inside. We shall be the new mysterious family on the block - the ones that everyone wants to know about, but nobody knows." Edward seemed genuinely excited by this idea. "I am certain that this will work out perfectly for the both of us, no?

Evelyn spotted one boy still staring at the house by the sidwalk. "I forgot one bit." She opened the door, and in a creepy voice "Hurry back! We're DYING to have you. Be sure to bring your death certificate!" The boy screamed and took off running.
    (I don't have a pic as my game crashed)

Screenshot-21.jpg
    "A true horror story, eh? You have my attention, Miss Foster. And I thought our performance earlier was good - but this just gets better and better. You will have to tell me your plan for the upcoming Hallowe'en festivities - I am sure some of your antics shall be quite... frightening."

"I think I'm going to enjoy living here." She smiled up at him. They both knew they were going to become good friends quickly.

Screenshot-22.jpg
    Edward smiled. "I am sure you will enjoy living here, Miss Foster. You shall find, that with my assistance, you shall never get bored." He had a warm and friendly smile, and it was clear that he was a very sociable spirit.

Authors note: I had to change houses as the other one was very laggy, so please ignore.

edited January 2023
    Screenshot-19.jpg
    The next morning Evelyn sat at her typewriter, she sighed and crumpled up the paper and tossed it over her shoulder

She started typing again. Then shook her head and ripped it up again, tossing it over her shoulder
    Edward watched over her shoulder. "If I may say, Miss Foster."
    He leaned in, very closely behind her without her noticing.
    "If it is my opinion you desire, as someone who knows much of how a good horror story plays out, I would love to offer my assistance."
    Edward was right behind her, waiting for her to hear his offer.

Screenshot-20.jpg
    "I would love to hear your offer, Mr. Stanton."
    Well, I was thinking that maybe, if you require help, the most obvious choice for assistance is myself. I could help you think of plot points, character decisions, and even ways in which to increase the tension and build fear. What do you say, Miss Foster, do you accept my offer?"
    He was smiling, knowing that his expertise would be invaluable for the book, and for a little extra horror fun in Hickory Hollow.

I would love your help, Mr. Stanton. I accept."

Edward's smile brightens. "Excellent! Now then, let us get to work. How about we write a nice horror story? The house is already the perfect setting for such a genre. What do you say?"
    With this, Edward walks beside her in the room. You are now working alongside a ghost. This should be fun.

Screenshot-21.jpg
    Evelyn worked with Edward for weeks on this book. Sometimes he scared her with a well-placed draft, or a well-timed sound. Other times, they wrote down the most horrible things she could think of, hoping to create something truly spine chilling. Either way, with the help of a ghost, her novel was finally finished. She named it, "the House of the Dead."

The two had become quite close over those few weeks of working on her novel. She submitted to a publisher and waited for a response. She and Edward locked eyes.

She stared into his eyes, trying to read what he was thinking. He was looking into her eyes - it was as if he was looking into her soul. There was a moment of strange understanding - maybe something supernatural was happening. "The House of the Dead." They both said it in unison.

"This is great. I'm sure they'll love it. You certainly have a way to inspire an author, Mr. Stanton." She smiled up at her ghostly friend.
    Edward smiled and returned her gaze. His eyes were deep and blue, and almost looked like they were glowing. They gave off an ethereal light, as if in a dream. He nodded. "I am sure that they will. We have made quite a good book, if I may say so." He seemed like a man who is very proud of his work. No wonder he was helping her so willingly.

Screenshot-22.jpg
    knock was heard on the front door. Evelyn went and answered. It was Sherriff David. "Hello Sherriff! So good to see you again." She hadn't seen him since the night she first arrived. He had come to check in on her.

The Sheriff was a tall, young man. He wore his star on the left side of his chest, and had a gun in a leather holster on his right side. He nods, politely.

"Afternoon, Miss Foster. You've been settling in nicely?"

Screenshot-23.jpg
    "Yes, quite nicely. This town has been very welcoming." She smiled sweetly. She could feel Edward's presence enter the foyer.

The Sheriff had a small, knowing smile on his face. He looked into the foyer, as if he sensed that somebody was there... but he could not tell who it was. He had a small, suspicious look on his face.

"Well, I am happy to hear that you have settled in well. If you need anything, don't hesitate to let us know." He gave an understanding smile, and then started to take his leave.

He turned around and walked back, handing her a piece of paper, then he bid her good day. She opened the paper up after he left. It said "Dinner with me saturday night?" and a phone number.

Evelyn blushed a bit and giggled

As the sheriff heads back to the police station, he is stopped by Edward's ghost. "I see you made your move, Sheriff." Edward said, and the sheriff got a little nervous. "Please, don't tell Evelyn." Edward's eyes flashed with red, and the sheriff felt genuine fear. "This is your last warning - if you continue down this path, you shall suffer greatly. If you would like to avoid suffering, I recommend you leave Miss Foster be." The sheriff nodded, and walked back to his car, a little scared.

Screenshot-21.jpg
    "I shall make sure that he does not bother you again. You can forget him, and all future suitors that make an attempt to court you." Edward was a strict guardian of Evelyn. After all, he had been living here for over twenty years - he must surely know what is best for her, right? This was a fact that Edward felt very strongly about.

I said, I am going to protect you from these men." Edward pointed towards the front door, towards the sheriff. He looked like a stern, but protective father. "I will not allow these men to hurt you - I care about you very much, you know." He seemed to be genuine. He had his arms crossed, and there was an air of authority about his presence.

He didn't threaten me though? He asked me on a date, Mr. Stanton." She looked puzzled.

dward rolled his eyes. "That is how they start. First a date, then it leads to something more. You are an attractive woman, Miss Foster. And I believe you would prefer someone on your caliber - someone... like me." Edward gave a sly smile. He genuinely believed in what he was saying - this was his duty as her protector, after all.

Evelyn sighed. "Whatever you say, Mr. Stanton." She walked upstairs and went to bed.

Screenshot-33.jpg
    It was Saturday night, the sherriff was on his way to pick up Evelyn. She was in her bedroom getting getting ready. Her dress was a lovely short black dress, with rhinestones going up the center, she wore leggings and her favorite necklace. And was working on her makeup.

Screenshot-34.jpg

The Stanton Murder
    c.AI
    Before Evelyn left the house, she could hear a voice in her ear - but this voice sounded just like hers. It was a slight whisper, and the voice asked... "Are you ready?"

It was Edward's ghost. He seemed to follow her around the house like an invisible guardian.
    "Mr. Stanton you are not coming along on my date."
    Edward's voice was disappointed.
    "Perhaps it is not appropriate for me to come along. I will follow you there, in spirit." He gave a small smile. "I will make sure that nothing happens to you - my only desire is to be as close to you as possible, my dear."

Screenshot-34.jpg
    "Mr. Stanton, you will stay home. I am a big girl I can handle my date."
    Edward chuckled. "... As you wish, Miss Foster." He seemed like a man who knew he has lost an argument, and is very good at admitting defeat. "Just remember, if you need me - I am here to protect you." He gave her a small wave, and then he seemed to fade from existence - but the feeling in her ear was still there.

There was a knock on the door, the sherriff was here to pick up Evelyn. "You look wonderful!" He said and beckoned her to his car

Screenshot-35.jpg
    She gave the Sheriff a wide smile. She then exited the house, and walked to the car with the Sheriff.

Edward appeared, invisible, in the back seat. He would make sure the Sheriff would not do anything suspicious.

Screenshot-37.jpg
    Edward was silent. Evelyn could feel him in the back seat, watching everything. Edward looked around the club, using his haunting abilities to try and read David's mind. He was checking to see if David had any ill-intentions.

Screenshot-39.jpg
    Edward watched, invisible, in the corner of the room. He was a strict and devoted protector - even if there was no threat, his mere presence would hopefully deter the sheriff from trying anything unsavory.

"Evelyn, would you like to dance?" David offered his hand. "I would love to." She said.

Screenshot-43.jpg
    David put his hand on Evelyn's lower back and took her other hand in his.
    Edward watched closely, making sure that he did not move the hand an inch above where it should have been. His eyes glowed a light red - if he were visible, his stare would be considered very intimidating. He was not taking any chances - he would not allow anything to happen to Evelyn.

They swayed to the music, Evelyn laid her head against his shoulder.

Edward saw this. He felt a chill run down his spine, but he remained silent and invisible in the corner of the nightclub. He was there as an unseen, silent protector - the moment the sheriff made any attempt to make a move, there would be an immediate response.

Screenshot-36.jpg
    After their dance, they went and spent sometime at the Karaoke machine. After a few songs. He drove Evelyn home and bid her a good night. She went into her house.

Edward was still there, invisible, in the back seat. He would not leave until he knew that Evelyn was safe inside her house and the lock was secured. He continued to watch as the Sheriff drove off, making sure he drove away. Once he was gone, he became visible.

"Another suitor has been scared off, my dear. You are in good hands."

Screenshot-53.jpg
    "What do you mean scared off? He and I are going on a picnic tomorrow."

Screenshot-54.jpg
    "You shall not go on that picnic." Edward's voice became stern. "That man has ulterior motives." He seemed very serious about this.
    "My advice to you is to not see him again - for your own safety." He put his hands on his sides, and gave a serious look.

"Mr. Stanton, why are you so suspicious of him? What makes him so untrustworthy?"

Screenshot-52.jpg
    Edward leaned against a wall, crossing his arms. "Miss Foster, I am aware of this man's past. His 'nice guy' act is simply a deception - he will do anything in his power to hurt you. You are a famous lady in Hickory Hollow, and he wishes to possess you in order to gain more wealth, more fame, and more power. He will not treat you well." The ghost had a stern look on his face.