Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The EA app and The Sims 3: how to report bugs (and why it's important).

Comments

• Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    @Bluegayle Oh okay. I didn't know it hadn't installed through Origin either.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,183 Member
    No worries. Hopefully they will come up with an answer for me. I had everything installed through Origin originally then as I wasn't playing it much I had uninstalled, but have changed computers recently so decided to reinstall. LOL Funny I would have thought that Sims2 would have been the problem child not 3. At least I can now put my downloads back in and only missing the one stuffpack. Lots of play left.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • LamaaaayLamaaaay Posts: 66 Member
    I'm getting a new laptop soon-ish I really wish I could just only install steam and not have to deal with the EA app. Because I had bought all the packs on there and most of my other games are on steam. But I do have a select few games (like sims medieval) that are only on origin/ea so I probably will have to end up getting the ea app. :/
  • brandonfavebrandonfave Posts: 17 Member
    I am just concerned that they won't listen to our feedback. It seems like they're just letting The Sims 3 die from neglect at this point.
  • simhead70simhead70 Posts: 614 Member
    I believe this is a bug. But I installed the EA app and I noticed that some of my sims 3 games are not installed, recognized, or I cannot install even though I have it. Meaning the stuff packs and the Expansion pack. I have purchased all things sims 3. All expansions, all stuff packs and, all items from the sims 3 store. Needless to say I am very disappointed in EA. VERY disappointed!!! I really hope they fix some of these issues and fast.

And I am a little scared at this point to reinstall, scared of further issues. Thank you for reading.

Simhead
    b141edb2-262e-48c6-a432-99db802758b0_zpspfbmwyih.jpg
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,310 EA Community Manager
    simhead70 wrote: »
    I believe this is a bug. But I installed the EA app and I noticed that some of my sims 3 games are not installed, recognized, or I cannot install even though I have it. Meaning the stuff packs and the Expansion pack. I have purchased all things sims 3. All expansions, all stuff packs and, all items from the sims 3 store. Needless to say I am very disappointed in EA. VERY disappointed!!! I really hope they fix some of these issues and fast.

And I am a little scared at this point to reinstall, scared of further issues. Thank you for reading.

Simhead

It is indeed a bug, we're tracking some issues right now with how entitlements are read by the EA app as they differ from how Origin handled them.

Also, any packs purchased from Steam are not currently configured to work with the EA app.

Both of these issues have fixes in progress.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I reinstalled 3 through Origin and then reinstalled the EA App. Sims 3 worked, but I'm stuck on the type of sim(s?) I want to play. LOL!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,183 Member
    Just an update on my issues with 3. I had managed to get Sims3 installed but missing some packs etc that plain out refused to download from EA App . Luckily I still have my discs so was apply to install them all finally. My issue with downloading from my purchase history etc seems to be solved as well and though it may take a try or two I have been able to install dlc again.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    Create a World tool's Edit-in-Game feature doesn't work for me with the EA App. Also to clarify, I haven't used any patches or custom launchers etc, all the files were left as provided by EA, and the game was installed by Origin before I made the switch.

I have already reported the problem using the EA App's error reporter, but also wanted to mention it here in case good people at EA also check this place for errors and such.

Back in the day, after patch 1.69, you guys at EA made sure that the Create-a-World worked properly with TS3's Origin integration with this update: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/868888/update-to-sims-3-on-origin-caw/p1

Hopefully you guys will be able to help us like you did back in 2016.

Cheers <3

Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
    edited October 2022
    Sorry for repeated messages, but I encountered another issue with Store content not working. However, the error is complicated, and as such I made a video that clearly demonstrates the issue at hand: https://youtube.com/watch?v=aEGXBB9wy0Y

I will still to try to explain the issue in detail here:

-When I go to "My Collection" tab in EA App, and double click TS3 to launch the game, Store content works as expected.
    -When I click TS3 first (on the EA App), then click the blue colored button with the title "PLAY", Store content doesn't work, it doesn't show up as installed in the launcher (under the tab "Installed Content" on TS3 Launcher), and downloaded content is shown as broken (meaning the thumbnail of that downloaded content does not show up) (Under the "Downloads" tab on TS3 Launcher.)
    -When I double click the executable "Sims3Launcher.exe" directly, Store content doesn't work.

I again reported this issue using the EA App. Hopefully the explanation and the video is helpful enough to resolve this issue.

Edit: I don't know if I need to state this, but I didn't have any issues while using Origin. In fact, I just switched to Origin until the above issues are eventually resolved, and under Origin everything works as expected.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Once the EA app is released, I will rebuy all my games on Steam if I want to play again.
    I doubt EA will work on fixing sims 3.They stopped updating that game a while back.

For those of us with a lot of sims store content, how would we get to use it in a steam version, or is all that money lost forever? 😕
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    Once the EA app is released, I will rebuy all my games on Steam if I want to play again.
    I doubt EA will work on fixing sims 3.They stopped updating that game a while back.

This won't be needed, we're working on getting the EA app and Steam connected as we speak. Once they are, you should see all of your content you currently see in Origin/Steam on the EA app as well.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
    Rsanda wrote: »
    Sorry for repeated messages, but I encountered another issue with Store content not working. However, the error is complicated, and as such I made a video that clearly demonstrates the issue at hand: https://youtube.com/watch?v=aEGXBB9wy0Y

-When I go to "My Collection" tab in EA App, and double click TS3 to launch the game, Store content works as expected.
    -When I click TS3 first (on the EA App), then click the blue colored button with the title "PLAY", Store content doesn't work, it doesn't show up as installed in the launcher (under the tab "Installed Content" on TS3 Launcher), and downloaded content is shown as broken (meaning the thumbnail of that downloaded content does not show up) (Under the "Downloads" tab on TS3 Launcher.)
    -When I double click the executable "Sims3Launcher.exe" directly, Store content doesn't work.

I again reported this issue using the EA App. Hopefully the explanation and the video is helpful enough to resolve this issue.

Edit: I don't know if I need to state this, but I didn't have any issues while using Origin. In fact, I just switched to Origin until the above issues are eventually resolved, and under Origin everything works as expected.

I've got this up with the Maxis team now, thanks for the video.
    Rsanda wrote: »

Heya,

A few questions to help us track this one down: Did you just transition over from Origin to the EA app? If so, did you reinstall the game after this transition or are you using the previous Origin download still?
    edited October 2022
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Heya,

A few questions to help us track this one down: Did you just transition over from Origin to the EA app? If so, did you reinstall the game after this transition or are you using the previous Origin download still?

This TS3 install was installed by Origin. I installed EA App, played TS3 directly with an installation done by Origin, through EA App. So yes, I am using the previous Origin download.

Also thank you for forwarding this issue. Lots of love <3
    Thanks so much, can you try reinstalling the Sims 3 through the EA app please and let me know if that resolved the issue you're seeing?
    Thanks so much, can you try reinstalling the Sims 3 through the EA app please and let me know if that resolved the issue you're seeing?

Sorry this took a while but I don't have the fastest network speed, but I did it.

So, I uninstalled TS3 from Origin, installed EA App, and installed TS3 using EA App. The same thing I described above happens.

But, I also did further testing. I deleted the whole "Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3" folder. And downloaded new Store content. And so, this happened:

-When I download Store content after launching the TS3 Launcher from executable, that Store content file only works when I launch the launcher from the "Sims3Launcher.exe".

-When I download Store content after launching TS3 by double clicking TS3 in "My Collection" in EA App, that Store content file only works when I launch it again the exact same way, by double clicking.

So all in all, when you download Store content after launching TS3 in a specific way, you have to launch it the exact same way to get the Store content working.

Again, here's a video that demonstrates this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=MxEOKkwwkkI

Also, while recording this, I also got a pop at 36. second (here: https://youtu.be/MxEOKkwwkkI?t=36). This pop up never appeared to me before as well. But it appears like every 1/5 of the time when I try to download content. Since this also got caught in the video, I also want to report this issue as well.

Hopefully this will be helpful, and again sorry for the late reply!

Cheers :)

Thanks for that info, I've shared this with the Sims team to see if we can get to the bottom of this one.
    edited October 2022
    Thank you very much for your and EA's attention on important issues Cade! Really appreciate it!

While I'm at it, I also recorded a video of the issue with the Launcher saying "There are no packages to install" error. Again using the EA App, and TS3 installed via EA App. So, my findings in text:

-When I double click TS3 under "My Collection" in EA App, downloaded packages install perfectly fine. TS3 Launcher's buttons get disabled and and I can't click on them.
    -When I click the blue play button to play TS3 in EA App, downloaded packages do not install and I get the "no packages" error. Also I can click launcher buttons at the background and they are not disabled. The launcher buttons should be disabled after I click install but they are not.

Here's a video example: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Em3jbI9D9hE

From what I can understand what could be potentially causing this issue: In EA App, you can add advanced launch options in the game's properties. However, from my understanding, and I could be wrong, EA App ignores everything that is not directly written in there, and ignores advanced launch options passed from other applications. In this case, it looks like it sometimes ignores launch options passed by launcher to "TS3.exe" which actually installs these *.Sims3Pack files. Also, the Create a World tool, as far as I know, also uses advanced launch options to launch the Edit-in-Game view of The Sims 3. And that also didn't work in my case.

This is what I was able to gather from this issue. Again, I am just guessing and I could be wrong. I don't have the best English so apologies if I sound so sure of myself and everything, that is definitely not my intention. My PC and the issues I have had can be outliers for all I know.

In any case, thanks for listening to the issues the community members have, and lots of love to the Sims team <3
  • ergo_slumergo_slum Posts: 135 Member
    I'm joining the sad ranks of Sims 3 players who no longer have access to their DLC. I got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and can't download any of the DLC through either Origin or the new EA app (which looks lovely, despite its bugs). I have used the app to report this issue and have also chatted with EA support twice, so I know this is a widespread problem and the only solution for now seems to be sit tight and wait until the fix is implemented.

Do we have any idea on when it will be fixed, though? Are we talking days/weeks/months? I decided to turn lemons into lemonade and have started a new lepacy challenge using only the base game, but it's really a bummer that such a huge issue affecting so many players has happened, and I'd love to get a sense of when (or if?!) it will be fixed.
  • 5Solas5Solas Posts: 1 New Member
    Originally, I could download the base game and it would launch, but had none of the add ons, which were extensive. I ended up reformatting my computer to increase the chances of a cleaner download. The second time, the base game loaded, and never launched again. The download manager insists that everything is downloaded, regardless of the outcome.

It also insists that my Medieval game is invalid when I had a lot of hours on it. So that's bogus.

I've entered multiple reports to no avail. They stop responding to e-mails. I've live chatted with people who spend enormous amounts of time between comments, dumping ridiculous amounts of patronizing assurances, and then do nothing.

So here we are. I lost hundreds of dollars when EA launched the app and they are not concerned.

I am also a disabled person, generally in bed, and this was one of my few enjoyments that I could do laying down.

So nothing that I have done has worked. And EA is okay with that.
  • octotigeroctotiger Posts: 64 Member
    The EA app will not allow me to download an expansion pack that I registered. The app says that I own the Ambitions expansion pack, but when I try to download it, I get an error message, and the button is greyed out and says "downloading." When I click on EA app's "download manager" the page just continually loads but shows nothing. When I click on "manage add-ons" the EA app says that the expansion is installed, but the sims 3 Origin launcher does not show the expansion in "expansion packs and stuff packs."
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    simhead70 wrote: »

Simhead

It is indeed a bug, we're tracking some issues right now with how entitlements are read by the EA app as they differ from how Origin handled them.

Also, any packs purchased from Steam are not currently configured to work with the EA app.

Both of these issues have fixes in progress.

I have a question will the store content issue also be fix?
  • octotigeroctotiger Posts: 64 Member
    I cannot download my Sims 3 stuff pack with the EA app. The app tells me that "Something Went Haywire" in an error, and it won't allow me to download the High-End Loft stuff, and I get the same issues with trying to download an expansion pack that I registered on the Origin website. The app does say that I own the pack but won't let me download it.