Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When did you first start playing the sims

Comments

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member

@bekkasan what a nice Birthday present. a lifetime gift. I can't move on to the next version either. tried it but can even do one generation. Love the sims 3. Have fun with your sims.
    @loaferman glad you got your sims as a teen, many years of fun. No matter what sims you like. sorry I do not know about the sign on page. Perhaps someone can tell you. Have fun with your sins.
    @Jade47 glad you got the sims. after so many years I hope that you enjoy whatever version you have. Have fun with the sims no matter how your play or what version you have.
    @Rsanda sounds like a long journey with Sims. Glad you like the Sims. No matter what packs you have it is a fun game. Have fun with your sims.
    @Lucy_Henley I understand the fire situation as that happen to me too. I did like sims 2 also. glad you have the sims 3 Have fun with your sims.
  • EthropturEthroptur Posts: 53 Member
    I was introduced to The Sims in 2003. One of my closest childhood friends had the PS2 version of Bustin' Out, and I absolutely loved it. This lead to me begging my parents to buy me the PC version of The Sims, including the hitherto released EPs, then TS2, TS3 upon the release of each.

I haven't kept up with The Sims since the end of TS3's life-cycle. I was immediately disinterested with it when they revealed the lack of open neighbourhoods, toddlers, basements, and many other features. Eight years later, and I still see no reason to jump over. Fingers crossed The Sims 5 rejuvinates the series (good joke).
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited August 2022
    Ethroptur wrote: »
    Fingers crossed The Sims 5 rejuvinates the series (good joke).

@Ethroptur …I hope so too…
    Though I’m not holding my breath. If I did, I’m sure I’d need medical help and resuscitation.

For me, I haven’t bought any of Sims 4. The werewolf GP was the last straw. I’m done hoping for Sims 4 to change my mind.

I’m completing my stuff packs of Sims 3 and then that’s it.

I’m not holding out much hope for Sims 5.

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

@Ethroptur To me Sims 2 and 3 have been the best of the sims. I did buy sims 4 but can never make it through a generation. some things are ok, but my heart is with sims 3. It is ok if some like sims 4. but I cannot move forward. I hope that sims 5 will have open worlds, I do not like that teens look like adults.

@Nikkei_Simmer I agree with you, I am not holding my breath either. I am enjoying Sims 3 and having fun with them. My time flies when I am playing the sims. Have fun with your sims.

• emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    My roommate in college had a computer and couldn't BELIEVE that I was not familiar with The Sims. :lol: This was back in 2005. I played the first/original game just a couple of weeks before The Sims 2 was released and I was already hooked!! She bought The Sims 2 and let me play it when she wasn't. ;) Ever since I was super hooked on Sims 2 and it's why it will always be my original love. (It was indeed lovely finding out that the man I was dating a year later - who happened to become my husband :blush: - had all the original Sims disks and what was available for Sims 2 at the time. :star: ) After we married we bought all the EPs for it and played it often together. Our computers were right next to each other in our tiny spare room in our old apartment quadplex on Post at Ft Benning, GA and that's how we played together. Many late nights... Ah memories. :heart:
    Anyway, Sims 3 stole my heart with the open world concept and while I still revisit Sims 2, I have never looked back; only forward with the awesomeness that is The Sims 3. :star: I love it love it love it!!!
    Sims 4 doesn't exist to me for various reasons, beginning with the step backward. I'll just leave it at that...

So yeah, almost 20 years since I've been playing. :mrgreen:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

@emorrill what a amazing story of how you started playing the Sims. How nice that your married someone who loved the sims too. Glad you are still playing and love the sims. I love them too. Have a great time with your sims.
  • ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    Oh my goodness. It's 22 years.
    That makes me feel very old. It was Christmas and my eldest son had heard about this new game The Sims.
    So we got the base game and then added Unleashed and Hot Date and he had lost interest but I was hooked ... and so ended up buying all the Sims 1 eps, Making Magic being the favourite. Really wish I could go back and play that again.
    Then every single Sims 2 title and all of Sims 3. They are both masterpieces.
    Eventually moved on to Sims 4 but it never held my heart the way the others did, the sims themselves seem lacking. It's the only one where I didn't buy all expansions and still many game packs missing.
    I have a bookshelf with all the titles in their boxes, it really bugs me that the more recent ones don't have a place as they're just downloads.
  • 007Ecko007Ecko Posts: 22 Member
    I started playing sim city and sim tower when I was younger, middle school maybe. Then when I was in high school my younger sister was playing the sims 1, and she got me hooked. I have stayed a fan, playing sims 2, 3, and 4. Also I played sims mobile for awhile.
    @Scrapdash Nice to hear you have been playing so long. we really do get hooked on the sims. I have everything for sims 3 except supernatural. I found out if I get it then the vampires can be in all your games. I did not want that. I wouldn't mine werewolves. I too have all the boxes except the ones you now have to download. sims are amazing. Have fun with your sims.

@007Ecko That is what sisters are for. Glad you got hooked. Have fun with your sims.
    edited August 2022
    @Luna10 Nice that your sister got you into the sims. Good choice the sims 3, best game ever. What a nice remembrance of your sister. Have summer fun with the sims. Have fun with your sims they are the best.
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    Seventeen years. Started with The Sims 2 and an Elder named Daphne Molyneux. I dropped out of The Sims until 2017, when I got The Sims 3 and a laptop for my birthday, and the rest is history. Recreating Daphne and her family didn't come about until 2018, after I lost a Save via a cloning glitch. When I replayed as Daphne and her family in 2019-2020 I even managed to get my first, and to date, only wedding on that Save (Her eldest brother got married, in front of the mail woman as she was delivering the mail). In the time I have played on The Sims 3 I have played the following Careers:
    Athletic Career (A few Sims; this was my go-to Career when I first started playing)
    Business Career (This is one of the few Careers in which I have completed a Lifetime Wish)
    Law Enforcement Career (Haven't played the Forensic Branch yet, though will do at some point in "The Molyneux Story")
    Political Career (Another Career in which I completed a Sim's Lifetime Wish)
    Journalism Career (Haven't reached the top of this Career yet)
    Military Career (This was the Career I put my Genie through in one Save, in my Oakley Save this is the Career I chose for Dennis. This was the Career route I would have chosen for Harold Rivers in the "Rivers of Riverview" Save)
    Firefighting Career (Haven't played this one in a while, not since I got my new laptop)
    Self Employed Gardener (I have put a few Sims in this Career)
    Self Employed Alchemist (In the original Molyneux Save from 2018, this was what I put Ajax Molyneux in after he completed his Lifetime Wish as a teenager)
    Eventually I hope to play through every single Career on The Sims 3
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • Simexpert123Simexpert123 Posts: 809 Member
    I have been playing the sims 3 since 2015. The sims 4, I started to play around 2018, I believe. I have loved playing it ever since!
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    This thread made me realise that I've been playing for twenty years, which is crazy now that I think about it.

I first played the original game a few years after it came out. I was little at the time, and my older brother was moving out. He left me the games that he couldn't take with him, which included The Sims and all of its expansions up to that point. It was a big thing for me, we didn't have a lot of money back then. I still have all of the discs and such.

Bought The Sims 2 when it came along, played it all through my school years with my little brother. We'd stay up until the early hours of the morning playing it sometimes. When The Sims 3 came along, I kept my old PC when I bought a new one so that my little brother and I could play it together. We had all the packs up to Seasons, which I bought two copies of, just so that we would have all the same content. We lost interest when The Sims 4 came out, we don't really enjoy it very much compared to the old games. 2 and 3 all the way for us, though we'd break out 1 sometimes if we could get it working.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
    @Luna10 So glad you love the sims 3, it is a nice way to remember your sister, glad you are having so much fun. Have fun with your sims.

@Sleepstar so glad you love the sims 3, it is so amazing all the careers your sims have had. that is amazing in itself. You are certainly having fun with your sims. congratulation on all those careers. continue to have fun with your sims.

@PrincipleOfEntropy so glad your older brother got you hooked on the sim. and now you and your younger brother are still having fun with the sims 3, I totally understand the long hours, I too loose time and sometimes it is late at night and still playing, the time flies when you are having fun, and that is what the sims do. Have fun with your sims.
  • PantasticalCatPantasticalCat Posts: 38 Member
    oh man, I think we first bought the Sims 3 in 2011, I was 8 years old haha! My older sister played it with me, and I still remember the first game we ever played was a sims version of our family! Now I'm 19 and I've been playing for more than 10 years and this franchise is really the only one I've stuck with for so long (except Sims 4, I got pretty bored of that tbh). I'm kinda sad I only recently got into the forums, but also I'm glad I wasn't a little kid on the forums haha! Long live the Sims!!
    ~Call me Cat, compulsive storyteller!
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    i feel old. If I look back at Will Wright’s body of work. I was 14 when he designed Raid on Bungeling Bay. I was 19 when he released the first ever Simcity (1989). And I was 30 when Sims 1 came along. Since it’s so far back in the nebulous mists of history, I can’t remember if I ever played Raid on Bungeling Bay.

All I can say is he truly hit the mark when he came up with the concept of the Sims.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Garnet_AlexandriaGarnet_Alexandria Posts: 1,201 Member
    This makes me realize The Sims 3 has been around for over half of the life of the series. I mean, that actually makes sense since there's four of them, so assuming roughly equal time, it should have been around for half. Since The Sims 4 has had an unusually long life, it's been longer. It just feels strange since The Sims 3 still feels "current" in a way whereas The Sims 2 or especially The Sims 1 feel more legacy. But I'm wondering how much of that is down to me having not moved to The Sims 4.

Anyway... I can't remember the exact time I got into it. It would have been around the mid-2000s though, and it would have initially been with The Sims Complete Collection. A friend had a sister who owned it and she brought it over. Upon my reaction, she also had The Sims 2 base game (which I think was still relatively new) and brought it over. The only thing I remember from this was her being surprised it ran better on my PC than on their family PC. Theirs was newer than mine (If I had to guess, it had a Pentium 4 and I still had one with a Pentium III) but mine had a video card and maybe some more RAM which is probably why it ran better since The Sims 2 was 3D. Going on what I recall from when I replaced that PC as well as when the Sims 2 released in 2004, I'm going to guess it was around 2006-ish when I first played the series. Though, I knew about it long before. I was mostly playing Sims City 2000 back then.

She ended up giving me their copy of The Sims Complete Collection since her sister moved out or went to college or something (which I lost and am sad and wish EA made it available digitally) and my friend was more interested in The Sims 2. I also ended up getting The Sims 2 Double Deluxe via the now defunct Direct-2-Drive digital store in late 2000 since I liked what little I tried of The Sims 2 as well, though I never invested much time into it. The Sims 3 was inbound so I wanted for it, got in 2009, and... I've been stuck there on and off since.

I wish the Sims 1 and 2 were available digitally via EA though. I still have the digital copy of Sims 2 Double Deluxe but I'd probably get the expansion content if it were all available digitally.
  • SirianaSimsSirianaSims Posts: 176 Member
    I also started 22 years ago.

I was 14, and I went into a Blockbuster to look at new movies. We had only recently gotten a PC because my mother needed to write her master's thesis (she did her bachelor's on a mechanical typewriter, it was horrible). But we mostly owned a few games for smaller kids, like the Disney's Hercules game and such, which I helped my younger siblings play.

In the Blockbuster, I saw a game called The Sims. I loved stuff like SimPark which was also by Maxis, so I was immediately interested. So I walked all the way home and asked my mom if I could buy it, she said yes, I went all the way back to get it, and when I came home, my mom told me off because she had misheard me and thought only cost half as much. But she let me keep it. And I played it ALL THE TIME, whenever I could get the computer to myself. I also bought the first expansion, but our PC couldn't run it, so I had to uninstall and only play the base game. I would sometimes lie in bed and read the manual at night (in my defense, the manual was really funny, very tongue-in-cheek)

A year or two later I got a better PC and I bought every expansion after that. The Sims 2 came out, and I got every single expansion again. I still have them all in a box in a closet.

By the time The Sims 3 came out, I was pretty invested in World of Warcraft so I only got a few expansions, and it never grabbed me the way Sims 1+2 did. And when The Sims 4 came out, I was pretty underwhelmed at first. No toddlers, no pools? I played it for a few hours, then stopped.
    A few years later I gave it another chance, because a lot of stuff had been patched in, and I was immediately hooked and I've been playing it since, got most of the expansions and like 800 mods to get things JUST how I want them. And then I recently started blogging stories.
    generation5julia.png
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited August 2022
    The original Simcity in 1989, first released on a Mac :smile: I played it on one of these:
    Macintosh_SE_b.jpg

Have played every Simcity and Sims game churned out by Maxis ever since.
    apple-signature.png
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    I played a little bit of the old SimCity on a PC but wasn't that into it.

I downloaded Sims 2 when bored during the pandemic a little over 2 years ago, and moved to Sims 4 in the summer. Been having a great time ever since :)