Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

MOWING THE LAWN ?!?!

I just had an awesome thought ! seasons would be even better if there was grass that moved with the wind, and grew over time with rain and stuff, and eventually you could mow your own lawn ! i thought it would be fun!
any thoughts?!
:D

Comments

• kari6041kari6041 Posts: 756 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Yes!!!! Also would go dormant in the winter, and when a heat wave comes it would turn brown. We could also make our teens mow as part of their chores too!
  • bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited August 2012
    I personally think that it will be a nuisance having to take care of the lawn all the time.
  • girl2035girl2035 Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2012
    IT could very well become annoying to mow the lawn, but if we could pay someone to do it when it was needed it wouldnt be as bad, i jsut thought it would be something a little extra for the spring time and stuff ! EA could play around it !
  • kari6041kari6041 Posts: 756 New Member
    edited August 2012
    girl2035 wrote:
    IT could very well become annoying to mow the lawn, but if we could pay someone to do it when it was needed it wouldnt be as bad, i jsut thought it would be something a little extra for the spring time and stuff ! EA could play around it !

Maybe they'll bring back the gardener and he could do it! :lol:
  • GreedyChickGreedyChick Posts: 432
    edited August 2012
    mowing the lawn would be awesome, your sim could hire a gardener or a teen down the street to mow it :D:D
  • ecole44ecole44 Posts: 509 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Man that would destroy my computer's graphics card. It already has to deal with all the moving trees, I seriously hope they don't make moving grass. It would die if it had to account for every blade of grasses motion....
  • LEvans102071LEvans102071 Posts: 448 Member
    edited August 2012
    mowing the lawn would be awesome, your sim could hire a gardener or a teen down the street to mow it :D:D

I was just gonna say... Have it be a service, like the maid.. where you end up calling a teen, or a kid even, to mow it regularly during the spring and summer. Give them traits that would offer pro/con like the maids and kleptomania...

I think that would be awesome, especially if kids were allowed to do it as a 'part-time job' like teens can already do.

THIS is a really good idea.. and it seems as though it'd be *possible* to have in game... Maybe they'll consider it for later, as I doubt it's in there now, and I seriously doubt they have enough time before the game's launch in November to implement it.

• yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2012
    bunbunnyny wrote:
    I personally think that it will be a nuisance having to take care of the lawn all the time.
    I understand where you're comming from. But there are some of us (like myself)who actually enjoy making our sims do mundane chores around the house. Laundry is a perfect example of this :-)
  • mw1234mw1234 Posts: 5,400 Member
    edited August 2012
    They could have little square patches (like the floor squares) where you put them on the ground outside so that they could be the only type of grass that grows. You can make them whatever size, shape, etc. Then the people with the not-so-great graphics cards wouldn't have to worry.
    edited August 2012
    mowing the lawn would be awesome, your sim could hire a gardener or a teen down the street to mow it
    Agreed. But there's also a possiblity we might not get this. But there is an alternate way to do this. Now that we've got seasons, how about making this career a skill based, self employed career as a Gardner?

My sims already do this in the game already. They get paid hourly with Twallan's Career mod. :-)

But this FT/PT career is still possible to do for folks who don't use mods. Gardening works similar to the AMB skill based careers like sculptor, artist etc.

Except you would send your sims around town to meet & get to know the neighbors. Then have your sim manage their gardening. Also once your sim's friendship is high enough, they can start using the neighbor's lot without a problem. This will be necessary if your sim needs to repair/upgrade sprinklers, access the inside of the house(to garden interior areas like greenhouses with the indoor planters comming with SN), or even to use bathroom etc.

Since your sim can't get paid a weekly stipend without mods, they could pay themselves by eating or selling the produce and stuff like seeds/gems found in the neighbor's yard.

some good skills for this could be:

gardnening--help sims grow perfect gardens. So far we're only getting pumpkin as a new plant with seasons. But what about weeds? Would these work the same way as in TS2?

fishing--angler trait helps with catching rare fish to fertilize plants

handiness--to fix and upgrade garden/outdoor stuff like sprinklers, outdoor fireplaces, restrooms, wash sinks etc. Some windows may be upgradable as well.

Collecting--might come in handy selling stuff you find while gardening (like gems etc) at the Consingment store

Charisma--so your sims can get along better when meeting their customers

LTW: Perfect Garden. LTR: Super green thumb

best sim gardner types: fairies, outdoor, loner, eco trait sims etc.

Some handy career traits: Green thumb, loves outdoor, loves heat & cold (with seasons), angler, friendly, charismatic.

This informal career would be for teens (as PT) or older sims (as FT). Hope this helps :-)
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    edited August 2012
    In TS2 we had to weed the lawn and trim the hedges. I remember most hedges in my hood looked kinda ignored, lol. Even if it was realistic and a bit fun for the first 10 times, trimming a hedge or mowing a lawn gets kinda boring in the long run. Might just be me :D
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • joshirejoshire Posts: 645 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Erm, it could just be like the laundry system, don't get washing machine or hamper, no laundry build up. Don't get lawn mower, grass doesn't grow, simple
  • tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited August 2012
    I mean in the end it's just terrain paint. You know like you spray paint on a surface. It would have to be the 'patches of grass like a floor' to work as someone mentioned because I just don't see terrain paint growing. =P
  • clover087clover087 Posts: 261 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Maybe the grass WILL change in season??!! the mowing part is probably to complicated for graphics though :( *Post this rumor/idea in my fourm http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/574279.page
  • frenchpoodle777frenchpoodle777 Posts: 842 New Member
    edited August 2012
    I personally would like this. I think It would be like laundry, do it if you want but it isnt required.

I also think it would be a great time for EA to finally give kids professions :) Like the first part time job that really is working, and not just going into a rabbithole.
  • SidSid3SidSid3 Posts: 636 Member
    edited August 2012
    I would seriously love this idea. Your teen sims could knock on their neighbors doors and offer to mow their lawns. And in the fall they could offer to rake the leaves, same with shoveling snow in the winter. And clean pools in the summer lol there's so many possibilities with this EP!
  • frenchpoodle777frenchpoodle777 Posts: 842 New Member
    edited August 2012
    SidSid3 wrote:
    I would seriously love this idea. Your teen sims could knock on their neighbors doors and offer to mow their lawns. And in the fall they could offer to rake the leaves, same with shoveling snow in the winter. And clean pools in the summer lol there's so many possibilities with this EP!

Finally! I thought I was the only one that wished pools got dirty and you had to clean them :lol:
  • Jorrulz05Jorrulz05 Posts: 15
    edited August 2012
    THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!
    Like we could also shovel snow! Unless they already have that, lol. I don't have it yet, ):
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited August 2012
    Oh god, no.

It already takes my Sims all day to tend to their gardens... mowing the lawn is the last thing I need.
    wJbomAo.png
  • 2oo922oo92 Posts: 2,627 Member
    edited August 2012
    kwanzaabot wrote:
    Oh god, no.

It already takes my Sims all day to tend to their gardens... mowing the lawn is the last thing I need.

Lol, I with you. If it's like the laundry system then I'll be fine with it. I tend to have big families and I really don't want anything else added to their plates. :)
  • ememzemmyememzemmy Posts: 215 New Member
    edited August 2012
    You could make the maid or butler mow it everyday, or pay your sims kids :-)
  • amyzoeamyzoe Posts: 309 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Oh, I wish! that would be way more realistic!!
    edited August 2012
    In TS2 we had to weed the lawn and trim the hedges. I remember most hedges in my hood looked kinda ignored, lol. Even if it was realistic and a bit fun for the first 10 times, trimming a hedge or mowing a lawn gets kinda boring in the long run. Might just be me :D
    If you spent all your time WATCHING your one sim go about those mundane chores, then yes you should be bored out of your wits :lol:

I guess it's just the way you choose to play the game. This is the reason why I opt to play medium to large families with a variety of sims in different age spans. It keeps me busy.

With my AMB and skill based career sims, I'll watch their animations once or twice. Then I typically leave them alone after filling up their action queue with chores to do.

For example, with my tinkering LTW sims, I send them around town to community venues like the gym, salon, & firestation to upgrade stuff on those community lots. I also send them to residential lots to upgrade the neighbors stuff like stoves, fireplaces etc.

I usually insert bathroom break and food actions in the queue so their motives don't drop too far. When their energy bar drops low enough, I'll make them quit work for the day and return home. So I don't spend time stalking my sims with AMB and skill based jobs. That would definitely get old after a while :lol:
  • indyChickindyChick Posts: 1,159 Member
    edited August 2012
    bunbunnyny wrote:
    Suppose the grass wouldn't grow unless there was a mower on the lot...then you could take it or leave it!
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited August 2012
    We discussed that idea ages ago. Maybe... :wink:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/415715.page
    This space is for rent.