Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to spawn fireflies?

OK, my Sim is in Appaloosa Plains and I am trying to find the spawner for fireflies in "buydebug" cheat.

Where can I find it? Does anyone have a clue? I am aiming to create a perfect Sim where everything is perfect in terms of skills and collecting. I can ony find the banana spawn.

Please advise!

:?:

Comments

• igottapi5igottapi5 Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2012
    They were added to the normal sims 3 spawns.

They will appear from 8pm until 2am.

They are VERY hard to get cause at 12am all insects will be removed and new ones will pop up but it takes time making it hard to get them.
  • StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited March 2012
    Are you asking about the firefly effect or a collectable bug?
    If you want the effect you will need to place a fog emitter(AMB),found in the debug menu. It's the shinny blue/green one.
    I think the code is firefly or fireflies. They will only appear when it's dark.
    As to collectable bug spawners, not sure they have one for every type of collectable.
    Pets bug/animal collectables piggyback off older spawners.
    Hope you get your fireflies. :wink:

Edit: Banana Spawn? :shock:
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    edited March 2012
    I haven't seen fireflies so I reported this as a possible bug in Crincket's thread.
  • igottapi5igottapi5 Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2012
    Its not a bug. Like I said, they are just REALLY hard to get.

I had to mod the insect xml just to be able to get a chance to collect them.I change both the time and quantity for them to appear.

Whoever decided to make them did not test it right cause it near imposible to get them without modding the xml.
  • clubersclubers Posts: 7,958 Member
    edited March 2012
    No, they appear in the same place evry night, they appear in the swamp in Twinbrook by one of the empty houses and they appear by on one of the peaks in Shang Simla, there are probably more in some places...
  • siva20092403siva20092403 Posts: 631 Member
    edited March 2012
    igottapi5 wrote:

They are VERY hard to get cause at 12am all insects will be removed and new ones will pop up but it takes time making it hard to get them.

How to I find the spawners for them? Is it in the normal bug spawners in buydebug?
    edited March 2012
    igottapi5 wrote:
    Its not a bug. Like I said, they are just REALLY hard to get.

I had to mod the insect xml just to be able to get a chance to collect them.I change both the time and quantity for them to appear.

Whoever decided to make them did not test it right cause it near imposible to get them without modding the xml.

How to mod the xml?

• PsychoChick966PsychoChick966 Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited March 2012
    If you want the effect you will need to place a fog emitter(AMB),found in the debug menu. It's the shinny blue/green one.
    As to collectable bug spawners, not sure they have one for every type of collectable.

There is an auto-soil for the banana plant. :-)
    edited March 2012

Which part of the debug section can you find the fog emitter to spawn fireflies?
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited March 2012
    Misc. Objects :)
    edited March 2012
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Misc. Objects :)

Thanks, so if I place this, I will get fireflies?

I must try this when I reach home.

:lol:
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited March 2012
    No, you also must* *press and hold both shift+Ctrl and right click on the fog emitter and type in fireflies

fireflies

**But- I don't know if these are collectable. :)
    edited March 2012
    Rflong7 wrote:
    No, you also must* *press and hold both shift+Ctrl and right click on the fog emitter and type in fireflies

fireflies

OK, I will try that when I reach home and report my findings. Have anyone else have tried this?

• 420happyhour420happyhour Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2013
    Rflong7 wrote:

fireflies

OK, I will try that when I reach home and report my findings. Have anyone else have tried this?

I have and it is only an effect, not an actual collectable. But I do have a theory. I find fireflies only at spawns that spawn butterflies, if the spawn are bugs, or beetles, no fireflies there ever. But if a spawn is known for its butterflies, at night there are usually fireflies. This is only a theory, you could also get the lifetime wish of a bug collector, and find insects at night.
  • DJMIXMASTERDJMIXMASTER Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2013
    igottapi5 wrote:

What is the name of the spawn that has the fireflies ???
  • DJMIXMASTERDJMIXMASTER Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2013
    Im confused Please share in details specific how i can get fireflies in create a world!! Thank you
  • Peggy1945PlyPeggy1945Ply Posts: 80
    edited September 2013
    Go to buydebug and place butterfly high 2 spawner. I did this yesterday and they did appear the following sim day, although they were only the pink ones. I have yet to see if any other ones spawn.
  • lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited September 2013
    if you get the collection helper LTR, set it to bugs and it will show you where all the creatures are. you can pause the game and zoom in on every single one to see if it's the thing you need. takes a while but it really speeded up collecting my seeds. if it's for an opportunity, it even tells you where the item you need is with a label(it does with palladium for build a simbot, anyway). it costs 40k points, but it's well worth it.
  • amem39amem39 Posts: 3 New Member
    The fireflies are, indeed, tied to the butterfly spawners, however, certain fireflies are obtained with certain spawners, and I haven't been able to figure out which ones spawn which. I usually tend to get a lot of the purple ones, and rarely see the other two types.

I get the purple ones from any of the spawners that produce the green swallowtail butterfly or w/e it's called (I know that cause I use that butterfly for the fountain of youth elixir frequently.) I hope this is helpful. :)
    [quote="lovelylisac;c-11323563"]if you get the collection helper LTR, set it to bugs and it will show you where all the creatures are. you can pause the game and zoom in on every single one to see if it's the thing you need. takes a while but it really speeded up collecting my seeds. if it's for an opportunity, it even tells you where the item you need is with a label(it does with palladium for build a simbot, anyway). it costs 40k points, but it's well worth it.[/quote]

There is also a cheat to get the happiness points you need to get the collections helper. In the town select screen, before you select the town you want to play, press CTRL + shift + C, and type in testingcheatsenabled true, then press enter. Select your game, and when you're in your game, go to the happiness points tab on the family member you want the collection helper on (the tab with the total number of points the family member has and the treasure chest on it.) While on this tab, hold CTRL while clicking the blank spot between the treasure chest and the points box, and each click will grant you 1,000 points. It's a lot of clicking, but worth the time.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @amem39 - Those not averse to using mods may find that the NRaas MasterController way to grant Lifetime Happiness points is easier to work with.

I don't mean to discourage forum board contributions, it's not my place to do that and that's some good information you are sharing, but this thread is from 2012 and the players you are responding to for the most part have not been on this forum for a very long time. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    [quote="igazor;c-17508887"]@amem39 - Those not averse to using mods may find that the NRaas MasterController way to grant Lifetime Happiness points is easier to work with.

I don't mean to discourage forum board contributions, it's not my place to do that and that's some good information you are sharing, but this thread is from 2012 and the players you are responding to for the most part have not been on this forum for a very long time. :) [/quote]

Thank you. :)
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    amem39 wrote: »
    There is also a cheat to get the happiness points you need to get the collections helper. In the town select screen, before you select the town you want to play, press CTRL + shift + C, and type in testingcheatsenabled true, then press enter. Select your game, and when you're in your game, go to the happiness points tab on the family member you want the collection helper on (the tab with the total number of points the family member has and the treasure chest on it.) While on this tab, hold CTRL while clicking the blank spot between the treasure chest and the points box, and each click will grant you 1,000 points. It's a lot of clicking, but worth the time.

@amem39 You forgot to mention that in order to get 1000 points you have to click both left and right mouse button at the same time. :)
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    @amem39 - Those not averse to using mods may find that the NRaas MasterController way to grant Lifetime Happiness points is easier to work with.

I don't mean to discourage forum board contributions, it's not my place to do that and that's some good information you are sharing, but this thread is from 2012 and the players you are responding to for the most part have not been on this forum for a very long time. :)

It's not healthy for you always taking the easy way out, it'll only make you fat big in the long run.

In 2014 when I was Bonus SimPoint hunting my right hand sure got a lot of exercise. I managed to get somewhere around 120000 BSP total, and you had to click 3 times for every 5 SP, and that should mean that I clicked the mouse button approximately 72000 times, how about that, huh? :p
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top