Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Autonomy

So my problem is that I do want my sims to have autonomy and to be able to do stuff without me having to dictate everything they do but I keep running into some issues with the way control and autonomy work in the game. Many, many times now I've gone to cancel an action just for the sim to proceed to keep doing it for a whole minute while there's just an x over the icon of whatever it is they're doing and the other problem I've had is that sometimes I'll tell a sim to do something and I'll have to put in that command like ten times before they actually do it. My current frustration is that I gave one of my sims the villainous valentine aspiration and these problems are making it so that I literally can't get my sim to do romantic things with a taken sim while that sim's SO is in the area to see it to fulfil that part of getting caught cheating. It's ridiculous that it can take over ten minutes of wrestling with my sims to even get them to do what I want them to just for the third sim to walk out of the room at exactly the wrong time. I can appreciate autonomy but this is just ridiculous. Has anyone else had problems like these?

Comments

• storymingstoryming Posts: 28 Member
    When I just let the game run, my Sim seems to only want to read books, mold clay, or interact with her cat all day. She will take care of her own basic needs, but she will not FEED the cat on her own without my prompting- or clean the litter. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough, but it was over a whole day, I believe. I'm worried she'd let the cat starve to death if I didn't step in!
  • CandyswirlCandyswirl Posts: 7 New Member
    > @ForbiddenOrgans said:
    > So my problem is that I do want my sims to have autonomy and to be able to do stuff without me having to dictate everything they do but I keep running into some issues with the way control and autonomy work in the game. Many, many times now I've gone to cancel an action just for the sim to proceed to keep doing it for a whole minute while there's just an x over the icon of whatever it is they're doing and the other problem I've had is that sometimes I'll tell a sim to do something and I'll have to put in that command like ten times before they actually do it. My current frustration is that I gave one of my sims the villainous valentine aspiration and these problems are making it so that I literally can't get my sim to do romantic things with a taken sim while that sim's SO is in the area to see it to fulfil that part of getting caught cheating. It's ridiculous that it can take over ten minutes of wrestling with my sims to even get them to do what I want them to just for the third sim to walk out of the room at exactly the wrong time. I can appreciate autonomy but this is just ridiculous. Has anyone else had problems like these?

Same. It was never like this in Sims 2/3 and it's gotten progressively worse for some reason. I remember being able to click 8 actions in a row for all of my sims and gameplay would run smoothly. Now... I have to keep going back & forth, re-clicking, or they stop doing the activity, or they don't start it, etc. I'm spending 2 full sim hours just trying to do something simple like get the adult to PICK up the toddler and PUT them to bed. This basic gameplay should not be this complicated, it takes away from the entire experience. Figure it out, EA. The sims 2 seemed to figure it out; just do what they did.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    The Sims 4 autonomy was really bad since the base game and was never corrected. The Sims 5 needs to have a strong AI system with the guiding design principles listed in this thread:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/998395/i-beg-you-ea-sims-5-must-have-smart-ai-heres-how#latest
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    If a sim is autonomously going somewhere to do something, and you cancel that action, the sim will still go to the location before it will properly cancel. That is, if there is an icon to click at all in their queue. When they go to the computer to play games, there is no icon to click and its driving me bonkers! Its one of my biggest annoyances with how autonomy works in TS4. Previous versions, your sim would stop as soon as you clicked to cancel.
    Candyswirl wrote: »
    Same. It was never like this in Sims 2/3 and it's gotten progressively worse for some reason. I remember being able to click 8 actions in a row for all of my sims and gameplay would run smoothly. Now... I have to keep going back & forth, re-clicking, or they stop doing the activity, or they don't start it, etc. I'm spending 2 full sim hours just trying to do something simple like get the adult to PICK up the toddler and PUT them to bed. This basic gameplay should not be this complicated, it takes away from the entire experience. Figure it out, EA. The sims 2 seemed to figure it out; just do what they did.

Bedtime is a lot easier if the toddler puts itself to bed. Same with feeding it, I drag a group meal to a counter and tell the tots to grab a serving themselves. Their parents (or other sims in the household) have very little to do with my lil' ones. They're only needed for attention and baths.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    As someone who played a lot a few years ago, left and came back, I feel this has gotten so so much better in the way they rarely get stuck anymore and are usually doing something.

The problem is that thing is almost always getting themselves glasses of water and leaving the empty glass on the shelf, or talking to the person I don’t want interrupted, or dancing 😂
  • ClowningNightClowningNight Posts: 2 New Member
    I’m also having some issues with Autonomy I believe. Not sure if it’s a bug or not, but TVs don’t seem to work quite right with Autonomy disabled.

I know TVs caused a lot of issue for people as Sims would constantly use them but I always liked the idea - hits close to home as I always find myself in real life just randomly watching TV.😋
  • ClowningNightClowningNight Posts: 2 New Member
    Enabled* Sorry..😅
  • TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    Some of my Sims just have a mind of their own!
  • TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    I actually think it's funny when my Sims disobey my orders. Sometimes it is frustrating, especially when they want to do really stupid things, or I want them to do something stupid and they won't. But no matter how frustrating it is when they keep insisting on clogging the toilet, or something like that, I still think it's funny and make jokes about it.