Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

City Living ?

Yes I'm way behind with the packs..Lol. I was thinking of getting City Living but I'm still not sure. So thought I would come on here and ask what you think of the pack, thanks

Comments

• Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    It's okay. I use the festivals more than anything else, especially the flea market.
  • Options
    Lovely_KristyLovely_Kristy Posts: 643 Member
    Second the flea market, one of my favorite additions.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I frequently use the apartments, go to the festivals and have sims singing karaoke. Somehow I've not grown bored of any over the years. I'd say it's a top 5 pack for me (and it's quite crowded there).
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,918 Member
    Third favourite world of mine :) I love festivals and apartments.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    plumboy23plumboy23 Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2023
    People are gonna tell you how wonderful and gameplay rich is City Living.. it's not. San Myshuno is one of the most laggy worlds, Festivals are nice the first time you go to them and then they became annoying, sure it has apartments.. oh wait, even the elevator isn't animated (can't even edit you apartment just add or delete walls). The neighbohoods are claustrophic in my opinion, they don't feel open at all. The city vibe just isn't there, it feels like atrezzo and your game will be filled with townies with asian names, weird clothes and blonde hairs. On the positive side, it has some lot challenges that I really miss (I disabled the pack), karaoke and basketball (your sims will be obssesed with it), oh and videogames you can play on the tv.. Some new rabbithole careers and the unflirty trait (a nice addition)

I don't hate this pack, I'm just tired because people claim this is a must have when there are so much better packs. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION AS A GAMEPLAY PLAYER
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    It's probably one of my top 3 faves! I love apartments and I like the different lot traits. I like that I can change the interior, but not the exterior. It's a little like Sulani in that people are around ALL the time. I like the different festivals and I use them a lot more than the Mt. Korembi festivals. I LOVE the food stalls and that you can get fresh produce there and in the Spice festival. Oh, and I like that the neighbors can be annoying and you can yell at them. LOL. The protests are neat too.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,035 Member
    edited April 2023
    I personally like the pack, but it's not one of my favourites. I do like the fact that your neighbours want to spend time with you, most of the time at least, and I like the apartments and living there with sims who fit that vibe or cannot afford more. The central park is worthless as it is though as no sims ever spawn in the actual park, which for me makes it seem empty and lifeless. For me changing that into a plain park (you need mods for that) made the entire world much better. I do like karaoke, and basketball is something I use in all worlds. I also like some of the new careers. The festivals are nice, but gets a bit repetitive and I never got the flee market anymore. I do like the fireworks, the video game on tv (great as you can do it together) the new recipes and the new food stalls. I love the CAS and use it all the time.

Do note that some rebuilding is required. Planet Honey pop is so poorly built it shows inside in winter, and the star gazer lounge has open walls in several directions which, again, does not really work in a world that sees snow a lot of the year. The same goes for the other karaokebar in the spice district, although I cannot remember its name. Basically it's a world definitely built for perpetual summer, but which has been given a temperate climate with lots of rain and snow. If you like building this shouldn't be a problem though.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    ItsGamerRachItsGamerRach Posts: 42 Member
    I use City Living a lot and I frequently live there, as well as visit regularly for the festivals. Just be careful at the Humor and Hijinks festival if you do get the pack, last time I went there my legacy founder died from getting too playful 😂😂😂
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    It is a nice pack. The world is has many appartements for your sims to live. The neighbourhoods are kinda small but that means the sims that show up in the world are in one zone and not wandering in a huge empty world. The appartements look nice and have a variety of styles. Unfortunately we can't make our own, just edit the interior of existing apartments. The festivals are nice. They can get repetitive but I still enjoy the vibe on the festivals from time to time. You can learn dishes from all over the world. I also enjoy the cas with influences from various cultures.

If you like a city feel and apartments, then you will like the pack. It is not my favourite because I prefer more rural spaces but I like the pack.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited April 2023
    City living is one of the top packs for me, and I own them all. It has about 21 apartments, and about 9 other lots ( some are penthouses, and others community lots ). It has several new food stalls with different cuisine you can learn by eating the food. If you like International places this is it, you get clothes and furniture from India, and other places. .I love the festivals, a great place to meet new sims or bring along friends. Someone mentioned lag, but I have no more lag than any other pack, but I do have a gaming computer about 5 years old now.

I love changing around the apartments, changing the walls around. I think it’s so fun redoing apartments, it makes me want more. Apartments run from little run down apartments that need TLC to large fancy apartments with beautiful views. You can easily practice your handyman skills or call the local superintendent. You can give friends or relatives a key to your apartment. Sometimes you even have noisy neighbors.

I like the new lot traits. This pack also comes with karaoke and home video consoles. It also comes with a hooka type machine that can change your moods Besides a karaoke lot, I believe it also has an arts center lot. It comes with basketball too. The 4 different apartment areas have a different look and feel. It’s nice for musicians as it comes with a set up you can place on lots and is already in the festival and a few other places. It is also a great place for your artists. It comes with a sales table ( to sell collectibles ), and a sales wall type thing to sell your art on.

Speaking of collectibles, it comes with snow globe collectibles that you can find in packages around the neighborhoods, and it also comes with poster collectibles ( in a mail box type of set up ) in the areas. Like someone else mentioned, I don’t see people spawning in the actual park, but there is a little common eating ( food stall ) area right outside the park where they do spawn, and there is also a fishing area by the park. Oh and this pack also comes with fireworks your sims can buy and set off, There are spices you can buy to use in you cooking ( you can even buy some fruits and vegetables ), and you can buy a festival t shirt, and bubbles to blow.

They really did put a lot of stuff and effort into this pack. I really believe it has a lot of gameplay, and would highly recommend it.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    edited April 2023
    I love City Living! It might be my very favorite pack. The gameplay is unique, from apartments to karaoke to basketball to festivals to collectibles to careers that have actual interesting work-from-home tasks. The neighborhoods have plenty of sims walking around, they feel alive, and there's lots to do in the neighborhood terrain whether there is a festival going on or not. The premades are all terrific. I have a large rotational save where I'm playing them all.

Yes, it will introduce townie characters into your game whose last names are not all Smith and Wilson. If that is a problem for you, maybe think twice.

Yes, the central park buildable lot behaves more like a reservable party venue than like an actual park, but the neighborhood terrain downstairs from the lot is I think meant to be the actual park. It's got food stalls, a playground, walking paths, lore to discover, an outdoor bar area, gardens etc.

Yes, it stinks having summer thunderstorms and winter blizzards mess up the midweek outdoor festivals all the time. :( That might be the biggest drawback for me.

I built a Planet Honey Pop that is exactly like the original, but takes advantage of platforms to allow the whole building to be recognized as indoors. The original was made before platforms existed, so they did the stage using a curved deck, which led to issues getting the whole building to be indoors. Anyone wanting to use it, please enjoy :)
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/F9A9DE4314FC11ED8A0C752C1E30C998
    Screen-Shot-2023-04-14-at-3-51-38-PM.png
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I really enjoy City Living, it adds a little bit of everything, a new world, new careers, new community lots, a new skill, a bunch of lot traits and challenges, a ton of great and versatile gameplay objects, I love the build buy, CAS has some really unique and interesting assets, I enjoy the apartments for what they are, I enjoy how dynamic the city is and that it's always changing with festivals, NPCs and vendors coming and going.

It's simply an incredibly versatile pack, I'm not necessarily dedicating my game to playing specifically with the pack, but I always find myself using the content here and there for whatever reason.
  • Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    Truthfully, I haven’t taken my Sim to San Myshuno or controlled a Sim living there in years. Basketball goal is still my favorite item in the pack.

I find the apartment restraints, neighbors, festivals, and lagginess annoying.

I still think it’s a nice addition to the game but I don’t use any of the features lately.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Because City Living is the third EP released 2016 there's tons of review videos, blog posts, and guides.

I can't imagine playing the game without this pack.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I rarely have my sims live in the city, but I'll have them visit it often for the festivals, as if they're heading into the city for a night from a nearby suburb (kinda like I would do irl, living near a major city)

I love it. It feels very like a city should for me, at least in visiting it. Museums, clubs, festivals... only thing thats missing, imo, is a playhouse/theater rabbit hole (which you sometimes get as an invitiation, so it still exists) Yes, it's the same thing every two weeks, but if you don't live in the city, you don't have to go. :) I play with two week seasons, so I'll usually pick one or two festivals per season as the "official" ones (sometimes complete with holiday) and ignore the others.

I also love the multi-culturalism that it adds, even if there's not enough of any one culture.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Spice and romance festivals are good for getting the less common plants, especially without Seasons. All festivals are good for getting posters and snow globes if you're into the collecting thing.
  • Options
    pacer1965pacer1965 Posts: 79 Member
    You are all brilliant thank you so much for the feedback. I shall know where to go if I want to kill someone @ItsGamerRach Lol. Also will check that build you made @mightysprite thanks. I have a single sim I'm playing called Charlie Mulanai at the moment in OS.I love living in Sulani or OS
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I mostly bought city living for apartments, so technically to have more room for my Sims.
    I do like the flea market, and I do like the apartments, but I wish we had access to the entire thing, except for a couple rooms in each one.
    I also like some of the clothes, and having the expansion itself.
    A while back they had a free trial to City Living, but it was only for a little while.
    I try to get all the packs on sale as well, so if I I love the pack, or mixed on a pack, it wasn't a huge amount.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 713 Member
    Spice and romance festivals are good for getting the less common plants, especially without Seasons. All festivals are good for getting posters and snow globes if you're into the collecting thing.

The harvestables and free food are critical to my rags to riches gameplay. Also the art center has a fridge and microwave and coffee and tea machines.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I feel like the more packs you have the more they work together, so being honest it was laggy for a lot of people, some had it so bad they couldn't play some just had a minor irritation. That was a long time ago now more people enjoy it, I use the features like festivals rarely but I play a lot of different families so some will go to them. I have had it a while and couldn't imagine playing the game without it as I never had much lagging and it is enjoyable to build up from an apartment as you take your sim through life, I'd say even if you just decided you're interested it is worth it, but if you're unsure I would click through some old lets plays of it to see how people play with it to see if it would really be a good addition for you.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member

Many sims I rotate through live in San Myshuno. I like taking them to the spice festival to eat and learn new recipes and to the Hijinks (I forget the name) festival to win the rewards at the end to sell for extra cash when they are broke.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 713 Member
    Children do not have a lot of skills that they can build, They can build mischief at the Hijinks festival. I think some of us might not even know that we are using some things that are in the pack because we have gotten so used to always having them. And as RedDestiny92 said, packs work together.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    It’s my favorite expansion pack! I love the gameplay, the cas items, and the build/buy items!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    OkayLazySimOkayLazySim Posts: 40 Member
    There are some things I find a disappointing about City Living, but other features make up for it for sure.

I do think the world is something different - and especially for those who like a more urban style, it's definitely offering something that most other packs don't have. If you prefer more of that suburban family look, then it's not really for you.

I don't even use all the neighborhoods and some apartments are definitely annoying. Because they decided that you can see into the hallway (those walls are down in dynamic mode) and I really hate that choice. Those walls should be up and they should only go down once your sim is in the hallway. Adding to that, the walls in apartments are currently BROKEN. For me, it made apartments unplayable. I'm sensitive to those things and it annoys me. I think it's been over a year and they still have not been fixed.

Other than that, some apartments do have an amazing view over the city skyline. And there's a few that you can totally rebuild, because you don't rent but own the apartment, so that's really cool. Generally, I love the option to rent an apartment, it just helps for some story lines, like a young adult who just moved out of their poor parents house and doesn't have much money..

The Spice Market also has been one of my favorite neighborhoods to play in. The fact that there's so much you can do while being on your home lot is just amazing. It allows for an immersive gameplay because there's so much to do without changing lots and having loading screens. And again, that view. I just love that city vibe and not other pack comes close to that vibe.

I do enjoy the careers too, even though I wish some work performance tasks could be done in other worlds too, like some tasks you have to do specifically in one of those neighborhoods, and when play in a different world, I'd rather do my tasks there.

The festivals are okay, I don't like how some of them are set up - the romance and gaming festival are just not made for my eyes to be honest, but I am very sensitive with a high need of a clean game view, so that's a personal thing.

CAS and BB items are okay imo. There's definitely other packs I use more, but that's of course a personal preference.
    Food Stall Activist Group
    For food stalls in each neighborhood and cool vendors who don't care for explosions
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited May 2023
    I recommend City Living! I used his world a lot, can't really recall what features it brought along, except the Karaoke bars and festivals - all great. The world is big, and hoods feel a bit diverse. Hoods are busy enough to give a satisfying city vibe. The flats are fine, but I do miss more community lots, especially if you own packs like Dining Out and Get To Work, you will find that the city misses restaurants and shops. You can have community lots in flats, but it looks better on the street... With a few adjustments in the community lot department, depending on your packs and your needs, the world is good. I wish we could get another city soon!

Adding: BB&CAS adds tons of international content, reflecting multiple cultures around the world. Might be useful also in other worlds, ie in Mt. Komorebi which came later.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg