Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you prefer Acheivements or Cheats?

So I have been adamant about my feelings on cheats. However, after having to fire my fourth elder butler and no longer being able to edit their age, I am now struggling with the possibility that I may have to use cheats.

If the elders didn't spend so much time having back spasms, I wouldn't have a problem with them but it's too frequent. They need to retire. For their sake.

I have unlocked 26 of the 50 achievements in the game and don't like wasting the rest because of the butlers but I am frustrated.

So which is more important to each of you?

Do you prefer Acheivements or Cheats? 97 votes

I'm all about the CHEATS!
16%
imhappyFroilNinja-Dan22lunaoddityfilipomelSAEldarinInuMiroLoverSERVERFRAGlacierSnowtelemwillUniqueKhaosNushkaDeutExMachinaSimDork23Kai252018pacer1965 16 votes
ACHEIVEMENTS make my day!
20%
dreamergrl84mcruddkerryemmiebethMindofyhellohannah2bixtersAPottstexxx78PenguinFoopGoofhead2OldeseadoggeFlapHomeMamaEvilyn_1007gbaisdenBehappy1stSeklein112JustinB113pieka33Benjamilian 20 votes
Either way, doesn't matter to me.
46%
BluegayleGoldmoldarDangalfSimBreeSashaGalacticGalCabelle1863JueJuelisamwittStrangerthanDijktafoneBoergeAarg61simgirl1010freindlylolcchant86SavorySagebarracuda1574DarkLady2788mitchiebanjolisasc360taydev 45 votes
OTHER
16%
xoJessiPaigeisin5SelinaKylesEnkiSchmidtMDianaSimsmusteniDaepheneYumengKimmerMr_MuffinTopdogzdinnermanicobsessiveDarkshadow608mightyspriteSteveBridgerlucombre 16 votes

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,829 Member
    I'm a goal oriented player but I've never actively focusing on completing achievements. If it happens, it happens.

I believe there are more than 50.

https://simsvip.com/the-sims-4-achievements/
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    edited February 2023

I checked the achievements, unless they haven't been updated, there are 50. That's how I found out how many I've done.

And to your other point, that's the problem with using cheats. Once you activate them, you have no more chance to unlock acheivments for that save.

Just checked in game and I have 88 achievements. I have all packs.
  • YumengYumeng Posts: 116 Member
    OTHER
    Cheats make The Sims series less fun. I prefer TS2-style Memories system to Acheivements.
    We need the function of zodiac signs, half-tile walls, prominent window sills, inverted half walls, discontinuous voice slider(mid-value can be taken) and rotating objects horizontally and vertically in a discontinuous manner(22.5 degrees per rotation).

@simgirl1010, I have all packs too. I'm just missing some kits but have only unlocked 26/50 achievements.

Where did you find your stats. I'm wondering if I'm looking at the Xbox ones and maybe there this a set I haven't noticed. Also, are you on PC?

• DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Do what you feel like doing. If you need cheats, use them, and it seems like you need it now.
    edited February 2023
    Under the menu.

7kRqaWt.png

Yes, I'm on PC.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    OTHER

Only cheat when I really need to. Such as for story purposes, free real estate. But I don’t ever use that cheat or mother lode for my own sims. I don’t care for achievements, but I don’t like cheating that actually helps my sims either

edited February 2023

@simgirl542 oooh, how did I miss those??? 🤣 Thanks for pointing them out!

@Dijktafone yeah I know that my choice is my choice. I was just wondering how other people feel on the issue.

Okay, just checked and I don't have an achievements button in the main menu.

• SteveBridgerSteveBridger Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2023
    OTHER
    I've never paid much attention to achievements, and I don't make much use of cheats. The only times I use the latter are a. to circumvent known and yet-to-be-laundered game bugs, or b. in order to test things (usually bug-related) in saves I keep for that particular purpose.

This is quite interesting, I had always believed that I was talking to a bunch of cheaters and here y'all are proving me wrong! 😆

• Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    OTHER
    I cheat to work around some of the bugs. There's nothing worse than trying to achieve a goal but the game won't allow it. I also cheat motives if my Sim is on a date or has run into a romantic interest at a lounge or bar. I actually use the money cheat to keep their funds at 25,000 Simoleans. Cheating skills just makes the game too easy so I avoid doing that. The handiness skill is a lot easier to accomplish with the new TV channel. My Sims can build their knitting and cross stitch skills while watching the DYI or the cooking channels. That's awesome in my opinion. I like the idea of double skill building.

Yeah the TV is magical! I use it often, even with my active sims.

• telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member

Honestly, I've never even looked at achievements once. I use full edit mode for CAS often. Sometimes I use cheats to give Sims a trait I want them to have for story purposes. For instance, I might pretend my Sim comes from a long line of spellcasters or that the child my Sim adopted can throw fire balls. Or I might just want my Sim to be wealthy or extremely poor. So I love cheats so I can set things up like this.

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited February 2023
    Console
    • Using cheats disables achievements/trophies.
    • Achievements are tied to the account
    You may be able to use cheats that start with bb. according a YT video. Can not confirm since I only play on console once in a blue moon.

PC
    • Using cheats does not disable achievements
    • Achievements are tied to save files

(PC player) I use cheats occasionally. I don't try for achievements because I think it's pointless if it's not tied to my account.
    It's so silly to have achievements tied to save files. If that save file is deleted then all progress is lost.

I've considered trying for achievements on PlayStation with the base game but my sim almost immediately got stuck and I had to use reset sim cheat so I gave up pretty quick.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/

Very interesting. So yeah, I suppose the cheats vs achievement poll should have been directed toward console players specifically. Thanks for the info!.

• WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Certain cheats I use regularly, such as full CAS and free realestate when setting up a house for a sim. Otherwise, I don't cheat unless it's to fix something. But I'm a PC player, I don't have the game on console.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I need them because I can't have Mods/CCs in on my PC, only Vanilla.
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    I’m all about the cheats! Lol.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,322 Member
    I couldn't possibly care less about the achievements. I use cheats for creative and storytelling purposes all the time.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I've never paid a single moment's attention to achievements.

Cheats, I use sparingly... I've never used them for skills, or anything like that. But I have cheated away funds to do rags to riches a couple of times, and I have used freerealestate to start families that in my headcanon have intergenerational wealth. I don't have many of them, but there are always a few. I've also used cheats to alter hidden traits, and if I ever find the time, would like to do more of that (things like favorite movies or favorite weather, mostly).

I guess you could say that for my own play style, I prefer to use cheats that tweak the sims to make them more like who I think they are when they start out, as opposed to cheats that advance gameplay.

I'm also good with using cheats to fix situations that are making the game so fracked that it's unenjoyable for me to even play, which is what it sounds like is happening for you with your elder butler situation. It's your game, you should play how you feel comfortable, but I would have no compunction about using a cheat in that situation.
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member

When I used to play on PC it was cheats, but since I got my series X and started using Gamepass I am all about Achievements because you need them for all the rewards offers. Gotta collect those rewards points for free Xbox gift cards.

I agree with you, @APotts. For us console players, it's a serious choice. I didn't realize that PC players were privileged like that.

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023

Definitely achievements. I got every single achievement on Playstation and the platinum trophy over one and a half years. I would like more achievements but we don’t get the pack specific ones on console. So now I play with cheats as there is no penalty for me. I only use them a small bit though