Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it a good idea to buy Cottage Living now?

I'm thinking of buying Cottage Living to take advantage of the discount. I didn't buy it at launch because it had some bugs that I didn't want in my game. As I did not buy nor will I buy High School EP or Wedding GP, I'm lacking of a new world. New EP's will come until 2023. I play occults, but also human sims. Do you guys still enjoy this expansion, are there any gamebreaking bugs, etc... BTW I play vanilla, so I will not use any mods to enjoy it or not ;) Thanks everyone!

Is it a good idea to buy Cottage Living now? 92 votes

Yes, buy it without hesitation!
71%
crocobauraBluegayleCK213bshag4lvEvvieSimmerGalacticGalIcewolfSimmervilleOolonglongBlkBarbiegalNishaDSMi9shaoscarmcruddIsb917Strangerthanmaggiemae8135simgirl1010freindlylolcchant86JestTru 66 votes
It has minor issues, but it's worth it at a discount
26%
bandit5alexspoom13jeLlyBeAn1573aelias24elanorbretonKhrisstyneEnkiSchmidtOldeseadoggeStarfreeThriorHopeyStarrEvilyn_1007honeywitchlogionTTNsimmerLady_BalloraCoconut27GordySimmingalReaganbogan 24 votes
Only the world is worth the discount price
0%
No, better wait for the new EPs of 2023
2%
TS1299Clousinators 2 votes

Comments

• LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Cottage Living is actually one of the least broken expansion packs released in recent years, honestly. I've personally never experienced any major issues. It's also a great expansion pack altogether! Not my #1, but definitely #3 (after Seasons and Get Together).
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    i bought cottage living at a discount and it was 100% worth it. one of the best expansions imo.
  • AlphaFFrogAlphaFFrog Posts: 1,250 Member
    Having seen and used your excellent builds, I recently added your Port Promise Marketplace to my game, I highly recommend Cottage Living. There are a lot of items that lend themselves to fantasy/fairytale builds and maybe even a few you could use for Steampunk. Gameplay wise, the world is a great addition as it is very different from previous ones. Your Sims can live self-sufficiently on a farm, build a witchy cottage in the woods, use it as a weekend escape to the country or start a generation spanning feud with the Crumplebottoms if the above sounds too peaceful ;)
  • EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    It depends on your gameplay style. If you like gardening, baking, fishing and cooking, you'll probably love this pack. And I haven't found it very buggy, but, of course, that varies.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    I have cottage living and haven't found any severe bugs in the pack. I think the cottage build items are very useful for spellcaster homes. The rural world is also excellent for witches, werewolves or fairies (if we ever get them) and mermaids can even swim in the local river. It is fun to use the lot challenge to be self sufficient and produce your own food. I think it is one of the better packs, definitely a must have if you enjoy gardening or taking care of animals.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I never saw any bugs other Cottahe Living so if that's what's holding you back, go for it. If, on the other hand, you aren't interested in cottagecore apparel and music, the strange mix of Beatrix Potter-esque fantasy of woodland creatures running around in sweaters, with a halcyon depiction of bucolic English village life..then give it a pass.

I bought it on sale just because, and have it a whirl, thought it was meh, especially compared to the Country Living pack in Sims3, and now just ignore the announcements of country fairs. It did add some fun options for building, like thatched roofs.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    I haven’t seen any major bugs. I bought it mostly for the world, bb/CAS, and the premade characters. But, if you like garden and farm gameplay it’s a good pack.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited November 2022
    I had great fun with the pack around release and it comes with lots of great b/b and cas

+ agnes crumplebottom alone is worth the money to me tbh

as for gameplay its cool although I don't often do whole farming sim thing at once

the items are useful in other context too/ with other packs and worlds like maybe you just want foxes in mt komorebi or chickens in sulani or cow herding aliens or vampire picnic or maybe your sim does cross stitching or something

heck maybe you just want that planting ground without box that alone i have used about thousand times by now

it also goes great with other similar worlds like say britechester or brindleton bay

as for bugs and glitches it has few but I haven't noticed anything particularily game breaking my worst annoyance is just not being able to set villagers in their roles if they are mistakenly replaced by game and maybe like the multiple agnes and agathas are tad frustrating if i play with them

i did also meet some routing glitch but nothing i could not solve (yet)

if you read my Henford Gossip story before that pretty much explains my experience of the pack :lol:

only reason i don't use henford often in full is probably that i just tend to watch lots of english village kinda shows and it feels tad overkill to also play in such world simultaneously :lol: i feel like i must ration myself a little on this theme in particular
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I would personally recommend Cottage Living myself. I think the pack adds a lot of very well rounded content; the new world has a lot to offer with all the NPC's, town errands and events, all the different animals offer a ton of gameplay, I'm a big fan of the Simple Living Lot Challenge, and the CAS and BB is very nice as well. I try to incorporate this pack wherever I can find an excuse to use its content, just because of how much I enjoy it. There's nothing quite like Cottage Living and the content it offers. I also haven't encountered many if any bugs while playing around with this pack, so I'd say it's worth it on sale.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Moving animals between sheds and inventory can be fiddly at times (I had a llama copy itself once) and the white and green pumpkins don't work for canning or quests, only orange ones. Other than that I cannot think of any bugs on top of my head.

As for gameplay, the Simple Living lot trait alone is a real gamechanger. I thought I didn't need it, because my sims don't have free will, so I can manually restrict them from cooking something they do not have ingredients for. But after I activated the lot trait once, I noticed that it actually changes the ingredient requirements for all recipes, making them harder to cook. I now use that lot trait often.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    I think it’s definitely worth the discounted price. I use the fashion more than I thought I would. Since gardening is buggy I use crops a lot. Most of my household’s have the simple living lot trait.

The world is very beautiful. I really enjoyed the town errands. Also having the towns people have jobs in the community, felt immersive.

Most annoying bug that I have encountered sometimes is having in my household panel be filled with fox households
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,876 Member
    edited November 2022
    Here is a list of the current issues. To me, none of them are problematic, but some people really were disappointed about the animal aging bugs, and the Finchwick Fair bugs interfere with players' ability to participate in contests there.

Aging/Death/Urn/Gravestone:

[OPEN] Animal Aging off, Animals Still Dying (ChemicalPrncess)
    [NEEDS SAVES] Grim Reaper stuck in loop when fighting with evil hen (haako40)

Animations:

[OPEN] 'Put it on a Pedestal Sink' sprays backwards when broken (Blbecc)

Errands:

[OPEN] Sow What's New errand won't complete (Cabelle1863)
    [OPEN] Unable to complete 'Show Off!" errand (Kirbirb)

Farm Animals:

[OPEN] Chickens sometimes don't eat treat (Cabelle1863)
    [NEEDS SAVES] Chicks won't age up (kirstieisbored)
    [NEEDS SAVES] Cow and LLama won't come out of shed unless called out (chefalex246)
    [NEEDS SAVES] Hatchable eggs disappearing/spoiling (naeshelle)
    [NEEDS SAVES] Hen won't leave coop (Jooxdee)
    [OPEN] Llama/Cow placed into household inventory can't be placed (GlazeyLady)

Finchwick Fair:

[NEEDS SAVES] Finchwick Fair can't submit crops entry from inventory (TheQuinnBee)
    [OPEN] Finchwick Fair Submission Not Returning to Inventory (wanderingbay)
    [OPEN] No ribbon/message after Finchwick Fair (maysbat)
    [OPEN] Sims greyed out for 'Travel with' option for Festivals (RandomBuzziness)

Interactions: Sims

[OPEN] Cleaning Chicken Coop starts general cleaning (Anska_Stormblade)

Lot Challange:

[OPEN] Can't cook on campfire when simple living applied (disconcertedrave)
    [OPEN] Can't use Hot Pot with Simple Living Lot Challenge (Ilselane)

Outfits/Appearance/Voice:

[OPEN] Sim changes into swimwear when walking a dog (in HoB) (TinnaAres)

Picnic:

[OPEN] Can't place picnic basket on a table with a lamp (Ulf-Gunnel)

Wild Animals

[OPEN] Can't gift honey to wild animals (AppleBlossom3)
    [OPEN] Fox stretches when trying to interact with Pottymouth 2.0 (Tormax)
    [NEEDS SAVES] Foxes don’t move from spawn point (Emzox)
    [OPEN] Rabbit gets stuck (Fangirl00123)
    [NEEDS SAVES] Rabbit gifted debug item (Cow Flower) (TuttiFlutey)
    [OPEN] Wild Birds won't stop flying around my sim (thisisarealpainx)

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-reported-Issues/m-p/10529288#M223851
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Ok, I got it!!

Thanks everyone! your opinions really helped me <3
    I know there are videos and guides but I trust more in the opinion of what I call "real" players.

I'm not interested in some features, but I can play them eventually ;)

The world is really beautiful, perfect for some of my occults. So far I have felt that the game is immersive, I like that <3<3

I discover that a little lag occurs when my Sims choose what to cook: the display of the food menu has a delay that I had not experienced before, but is ok.

So far I haven't had any problems with the EP, but with today's patch: by fixing the problem with Sims that weren't running anymore, the Devs messed up Vampires and Werewolves Supernatural Speeds :s So for now I will enjoy CoL with a vampire (my fake dark fairy) because she can move as bat or mist. I need my Super Speed, the world is huge!

Finally I was able to use my Viking Retreat, one of my vampires took a holiday to Henford-on-Bagley to decide which lot to move to permanently:
    Ei2fPwe.png
    yYXWHsL.png

Hey @Lustianicia I see you like proper expansions: my #1 is Get Together and my #2 is Seasons :D So maybe CoL will be at my top 5 soon.

Thanks for your sweet words @AlphaFFrog o:) I discover that there is a new clock at CoL for my Steampunk dreams :#

@Simmingal ok, who was to blame for the fire?? (I love your stories).
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited November 2022
    100% yes! It's a really really good pack. It has a great CAS, very nice b&b, gorgeous world and absolutely mind blowing gameplay.
    I also play vanilla. The only bug that I am experiencing with this EP and that annoys me very much is the general cleaning after with cleaning a chicken coop.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Cottage Living is the best next to Get Together
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    It's *ALLWAYS* a good time to buy Cottage Living. One of the better packs , me thinks.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    If you enjoy playing supernatural sims, it's a great location for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
    12-23-21_4-54-06_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    Buy it for the chickens and llamas, my favorites and most of my sims living in Henford have animals. Love, love the chickens! <3
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Its worth it. I dont play much with it because I dont like farming as a theme but even I can admit that the gameplay is very good (if you re into farming). Also the world!
  • ReaganboganReaganbogan Posts: 278 Member
    I'm a console player. One bug for me is all the yarn for cross stitch is black and white. I'm bummed this feature still isn't working but there's lot of other things to do in this pack, so I still say it's worth it.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Mostly because of two bugs:

Plants reverting to dirt piles.
    Distorted Foxes showing up in the household manager.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Mostly because of two bugs:

Plants reverting to dirt piles.
    Distorted Foxes showing up in the household manager.

The plants reverting to dirt piles happens in all towns for me, so that’s not really a cottage living problem.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited November 2022
    Besides animals, eggs, meat, yarn, embroidery, new types of plants, canning, a nice country world and nice country furniture and CAS, it also has the s simple living lot trait, which gives you a challenge and it’s a better place than Glimmerbrook for witches too, because it is so country and some of the houses are more out of sight.
  • AlienTusksAlienTusks Posts: 194 Member
    It's a descent pack, the world looks nice but has little number of things to do/interact with. If you like gardening, then this will add to your gameplay possibilities. New lot challenge, new lot traits, chickens, cows, lamas, lots of little festivals to attend each week, a rental house if you want to take a vacation there. I noticed a bug right after I bought the expansion where in my greenhouse which is on the top floor of my home, I lost the ability to super sell my garden plants, or sell them at all, or harvest them...eventually I moved the greenhouse off of my home and put it on the ground outside my home as I have a huge lot size. This fixed the problem. Also, I've heard of people's plants reverting back to just planted status and I personally experienced this a few times. The chickens live a very, very short life, which is a bummer. Not much else to say I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10 maybe 7.
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

First the bad news: I ran into a horrible bug caused by this expansion: CL fireworks are broken!! They've been broken for over a year :( Sadly this bug is not listed as a CoL issue but as a CL issue so I did not read about it...

BUT even if I can not play with my fireworks anymore, for now, I do not regret buying CoL: can't stop playing and building. It is a proper EP, I'm having fun. To my surprise I'm obsessed with the rabbits and the foxes <3

I hope my vampires and werewolves super speed will be fixed soon.

Meanwhile Henford has new neighbors:

My Dark Fairy (vampire):
    n0sioJ9.png

A mixed couple (vampire and spellcaster):
    mtlCXiD.png