Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why create a new save?

2...Next

Comments

• KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Once I found out new saves won't carry any legacy bugs/issues, I find myself starting fresh pretty often. I'm on save 20 I think.
  • jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    I'm a perfectionist and am perpetually unsatisfied with my save files. I currently have one legacy going in a save of its own and fight the urge to restart it daily. I am usually working on a template save as well--a save with everything made over. Even that isn't enough because sometimes I want to play with pre-made townies and sometimes I don't so I need different template saves based on that.

There's also the fact that I like to replace all the builds with things downloaded from the gallery. Every time I think I've found the ideal download for each lot, I find something I like better. Rather than going through all my saves and replacing the lots it's almost easier to just bulldoze all my saves and start from scratch yet again. Same thing with CAS. Every time the game is updated to round out sims even more, I want to start from scratch and edit my townies with the new options.

I wish I wasn't like this, it would make my gameplay more satisfying, but I don't think I'll be able to have a longstanding save until the game is completely done releasing DLC/updating.
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I start a lot of new "side saves," in which I might try small, different things. My daughter and I have started redecorating houses, and we'll decide to put one into our game...and let a Sim we've never played before live in it. Presto, new save. Or, we'll populate a world with newly-created Sims (Z loves CAS), and see what they get up to.

This playing style helps us avoid becoming sick of our "story save," which we don't want to mess up by trying new things. Occasionally a "side save" will turn out to be so much fun that it becomes the save we choose to play first. Or, a Sim we enjoy from a "side save" will be brought into the "story save" as a recurring character/"supporting actor."
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • DollhouseMakerDollhouseMaker Posts: 9 New Member
    I will eventually run out of lots and need a new save.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I have base saves (with and without premades) that I start with new households using save as. I haven't played with the premade Sims and lots in a long time.

I am currently working on a premades base save where I remodel/redecorate EA's houses and makeover the premades. I think I'm a bit obsessed with making base saves. I like variety, what can I say? :D
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I've been playing the same legacy save since March, though I had to go on temporary hiatus in April. Thankfully everything is working again! My legacy is four months old. I back up my game at the end of each day and save a new file every day when I load up.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I start new saves all the time, on whim, often because I don't want to play this or that version of something else I was doing with a townie household, im the save with a whole new household or character to focus on.

Like if I have played the Vatore siblings, Caleb and Lilith, but I want them to just be their unaltered default townie selves not under my control, in the world I start s new household with. I don't always want a townie household to ne already played by me, altered by me, I want them to be unplanned NPCs for my new Sim to interact with, so that whatever happens with them, is untouched by me, and not up to me.

Otherwise, if a save gets too played, it feels like nothing can be a surprise, like I'm playing all the parts, so of course nothing happens unless I make it, which is pretty dull.

So most of the time, if I want to play a whole new idea, I want a fresh, untouched world, unaltered by my hand, to play my one controlled household against.

Not sure if that's clear or confusing.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • ReaganboganReaganbogan Posts: 278 Member
    My one and only save was corrupted during a bad crashing period for my game and many console players. It was a horrible feeling to lose all that progress and world shaping. I actually ended up having a backup but never opened it fearing it was corrupted.

I'll have between 4-5 saves. My longest save is 2 and half years my newest is one is a limted time scenario.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    My one and only save was corrupted during a bad crashing period for my game and many console players. It was a horrible feeling to lose all that progress and world shaping. I actually ended up having a backup but never opened it fearing it was corrupted.

I'll have between 4-5 saves. My longest save is 2 and half years my newest is one is a limted time scenario.

I always feel guilty about clicking "awesome" on a thread that contains a tragedy. I want say it's awesome that you play this way and had such a long detailed save but then, it's not awesome that you lost it.

There should be a "aww, I'm sorry for your loss but it's great that you had it!" button.
  • Unnamed_SunUnnamed_Sun Posts: 16 Member
    I kinda refresh my game waaaay too often :D
    Somehow I want to be better to play with one save only B) .
    Yeah, I think chronic saving is an illness. Together we will find a cure!
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I have one save, but it’s starting to be a mess, with my sims running into Cruella, Harry Potter, The Halliwell sisters, Disney princesses or even Barbie :lol:

Maybe I should have placed all those characters in different saves.

On the other hand, all your stuff is accessible.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I make save files for new games with edited premades, empty lots filled, and more clubs etc. Then whenever I want to start a new game, I don't have to start from scratch. I generally play a game til my starting Sims pass away. Then I get sad and lose heart to continue, sigh.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I start a new save when I want to try an idea for something like a freelance career or a skill like gardening, which is still broken. Sometimes something happens in a new save that piques my interest. This is how I found out that Brant Hecking is a big flirt even though he's married and has the Good trait.

I started a new save with a young adult male Sim so I could check out the New Year New Hustle scenario. I didn't expect that Brant Hecking would flirt with my Sim on Monday or that they'd be Soulmates by Thursday which is also when my Sim completed the Scenario. But that's what happened.

What usually trips me up are Patches. I save the current game I'm playing to an external drive, patch the game, and wait for mods to be updated. In the meantime, I get interested in a new idea and start a new save. Brant's game hasn't been played since February because I started another new save with another new Sim so I could check out the Extraterrestrial Explorer scenario which is tedious and expensive. I started a second new Sim in this save to check out the No Skills No Problem scenario which is kind of an interesting one. It's really too easy to make money in this game, even without cheats.,

The Explorer guy met the No Skills guy at the Oasis Springs gym. They became friends because the game had them call or visit each other incessantly after they met. I have the NSNP guy funding the rocket ship that the Explorer has to build and upgrade. I'm having them both work on upgrades because the Explorer has already had one crash landing. I don't know if he'd survive a second one. The No Skills guy can't level cooking so there's no Ambrosia in their future there. I'm thinking of having one or both of them become Spellcasters in case one needs to resurrect the other for some reason. I found out that if the No Skills guy uses the rocket and brings back Aliens they count for the Explorer. Since the No Skills guy has the Collector trait he gets two of most things he collects - including Aliens. He doesn't get to go up in the rocket anymore.
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    I create and play a number of new saves until I forget what the old ones were, then I delete them and keep playing the most recent. I have no go-to.
    I create and play a number of new saves until I forget what the old ones were, then I delete them and keep playing the most recent. I have no go-to.

Yes! I am guilty of this as well! I'm always like "I'll get back to this one later" but later is to closely related to tomorrow that neither of the seem to ever show up!
  • MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    I have been playing the same save for the entire game. This is how I have always played. I have many different families and many different stories. I have my neighborhoods set up for different stories. Strange Ville as an example is a low rent basic town and Windenburg is a high-end luxury town. It takes a long time to build and create all these different stories, no way would I just want to start over. I don't do legacy and limit myself to just one middle class type family. Actually, the poor dirt farmers as some of the most fun. My save is now over 1 gig, but my gaming machine handles it with no issues.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I make a new save for almost every Sim household I play (or group of Sims)
  • KbobsterKbobster Posts: 157 Member
    Man, I get what you're saying. Maybe one reason is, I want to focus on a new group of people for a little while and I'm scared my old household will have moved on and there will be minor changes I don't agree with. I could be wrong. But I just do it for that purpose. My Supernatural game is still going strong and I play different families.