Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone relate? I want to play TS4 but don't have fun playing

Recently whenever I play the sims I don't really have a lot of fun, it doesn't matter whether I'm building, making sims or actually playing, none of it feels fun. But at the same time I do want to play. Like there will be days where I don't really feel like playing anything else but the sims, but then when I boot up the game I just sit there switching between doing different things because nothing sparks joy.
Basically my question is; does anyone else feel this and, if so, what do you do about it? This game has been my favorite game for 7 years now and it makes me sad that I'm not enjoying it very much anymore.

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I feel the same.

I think it's burnout combined with having played the game for so long. I have some ideas on what to do but I don't feel like pursuing them because they will just be variants of what I have already done. The game is not developed enough to offer me anything new.

I'm not sure what to do about it, I have started playing other games for variety, that usually helps with burnout. As for having played the game for so long, I have started playing the game less and I mostly look forward to new packs and trying out new things, but I am aware that EA/Maxis are milking this game dry. It's been almost 8 years, I'm sure that Maxis keeps saying that they are gonna keep the game going for many years and try to sell you the image that if you are tired of it then it must be you. It isn't. There is nothing wrong with getting tired of an almost 8 year old game, I could care less what the companies tries to tell us.

There are challenges and different things you could try to do in the game as well, I know there are threads here which suggest what one can do when you are bored if you would like some variety.

So that's my advice I guess, try different challenges, try doing something new, try playing the game less and give other games a chance, also don't worry that you are getting tired of an almost 8 year old game.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I feel the same as well. I think that if you play any game long enough, you can get burned out on it
  • Garaya13Garaya13 Posts: 60 Member
    @logion @Nate_Whiplash1 Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I've tried a fair share of challenges and some of the new more challenge like scenarios, but even those get boring to me quite quick. I suppose it might be for the best to just let it rest for a while
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    It's happened to me with Sims and other games as well. Sometimes you need a break. I have stopped playing for a month or two. But I always come back when it's fun again.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    just take a break it will be fun again
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Burnout to at least some degree has happened to me with every game I've ever played for any significant amount of time. If it wasn't cured by taking time to play a different game (or to do something else, perhaps unrelated to gaming), I took that as a sign that it was time for me to move on to yet another different game. Or to go back to one that I already loved more.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    Sorry, I can't relate. I have never not had fun playing TS4 or any of the other versions. Do you have access to Sims 2 or 3? Maybe one of those will interest you. 🙂
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    I don't think I have ever played any game and not got burnt out at some point. Sims 4 has been out a looong time, so it is no surprise really. I have played The Sims since Sims 1, so if I didn't get burnt out I would question my sanity, lol. I usually take a break. I have stopped playing for a year here, or 2 there, before. I am pretty sure I took a break at some point for each generation of the game in fact. The game isn't going anywhere, and when you come back there are new packs to explore.

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Yes, I have felt that way before. When you have devoted time and emotions to something that used to really make you happy and no longer does. It hurts.

A few decades of gaming has taught me to be better at stepping back when it occurs but those earlier times I found it very sad and difficult.

What would you like to do? Is there something that really would make you happy? Is there another thing that you are interested in? If you walk a way for a long or a short while the game is still here, right. I have yarns that I starting to look at and a really good place for pottery a few subway stations away. If you take a weeks or months doing something else Sims 4 is still here if you would feel inclined to try it out again.

Hmm... when I started to take breaks from earlier games I stopped playing first but continued with the forum that was connected with the game and then slowly I stopped visiting there as well. Ha ha, quitting something cold turkey has never been my style, I power down or up gradually.
    Thanks everyone for your responses
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited June 2022
    Garaya13 wrote: »
    Recently whenever I play the sims I don't really have a lot of fun, it doesn't matter whether I'm building, making sims or actually playing, none of it feels fun. But at the same time I do want to play. Like there will be days where I don't really feel like playing anything else but the sims, but then when I boot up the game I just sit there switching between doing different things because nothing sparks joy.
    Basically my question is; does anyone else feel this and, if so, what do you do about it? This game has been my favorite game for 7 years now and it makes me sad that I'm not enjoying it very much anymore.

I've been dealing with that too and I have been on a long break and want to get back simming.
    My problem was that I have plenty to do and I just couldn't get going on it. I was resistant.
    My sims are in prep-school for Uni and I wanted to send them to Batuu before starting their rotation into Uni.

And I know what people are going to say:
    "It's not you, it's Batuu."

But anyway, I skipped going to Batuu since it seemed to be the blocker and I had them apply for scholarships.
    Then I sent them to my Foxbury student store to get stuff they will need in Uni plus some Foxbury themed sportswear.
    And then a notice for Geekcon popped up and I sent them there and they participated in the hacking competition and won prizes, work on the rockets, because they will need Rocket Science skills for Uni. This might not be helpful to you, but I seemed to have found the lever to get the boulder rolling downhill. They will go to Batuu, but after they return from their rotation in Uni.

We have been playing the game for... 8 years now? The only thing that keeps game play fresh is new content and a very creative mind.
    I think my problem is I have an ultimate goal and a bunch of things I have to do to get there, but I want to get to the goal faster and all my tasks are feeling like work. You pick things to do because you feel they might be fun. Could there be something along the way to that fun that feels more like a chore? Can you skip that little thing, or make it more fun?
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    @CK213 That's the exact problem I have. Everything just kind of feels like a chore instead of fun gameplay.
    The thing is, I've done just about everything there is to do in the game at this point so many times over and I think that's what's making me feel burnt out. All of the gameplay I used to love feels stale now because I've done it so much. I know exactly how everything is going to play out already, there's no wonder or discovery anymore. And though the gameplay I haven't touched a lot might be newer and more unfamiliar to me, but the reason I haven't touched a lot of those things is because they just don't interest me very much so I don't have fun playing with that either.
    I am looking forward to the werewolf pack. I've always liked the occults and from the way it's been described it sounds like it's going to be a similar system to vampires, which I love. I'm hoping I can have some fun with the game again once that pack comes out.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    If I get time to really really concentrate on a game, it is rare I select the sims. I'll do some boss fight in another game or an intense shooter or a deep RPG, continue big list showing that MO plays too many games....

The sims is light entertainment with very little at stake for me. I can tweak and play and generally mess about in it. Often, I'll start that way and then something gets my attention and can result in several hours gameplay.

For all the problems our world has, it isn't short of distractions. If the sims isn't doing it for you, do something else.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Simsister93Simsister93 Posts: 2 New Member
    Yeah, I totally relate I will play the game for months and have fun, then all of sudden it is just not that fun to play so I stop playing for a while. It's just weird to me because even though I'm bored of playing I still want to play the game. So my best suggestion would be to take a break from playing for a while and come up with some new ideas and gameplays, in that time some new packs will drop so by the time you play again you'll have new ideas and things to play with making the game more enjoyable.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I can certainly relate. Sometimes it happens because I'm just plain tired, or overstressed (I know we can all relate to that), and it reflects in my game. At those times I'll just step back for a few weeks, read comfort books, watch TV, and generally let myself do whatever feels ok. I remind myself that this isn't my job and that it's ok if I just need a bit of a break. I do stay on the forums, though, because sometime someone will mention something, or I'll see some screenshots and it will jump start my imagination again.

I've done a few scenarios, and also used the Kits to do odd makeovers just for fun (Modern Menswear is a hoot, I love seeing Vlad or Mortimer Goth walking around as a Sharp Dressed Man-In-A-Skirt). New GPs and EPs are always good things to break up the monotony. Lately I've been exploring packs that I haven't played with much.

I also really enjoy downloading houses off the Gallery and then going crazy renovating them.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Are you opposed to using mods? There are some really really great ones out there that helps with certain things that make the game much more interested and the sims seem less like each other, such as:

More Traits (that actually mean something and make your sims behave accordingly)
    More Careers
    More Aspirations
    More Whims (that aren't just buy a bee box or 1-tile pool type stuff), I personally love a whims-driven game because it helps me with my story
    Better Personality Mods
    More Active Careers
    Multi-Venue Mods (so your community venues will spawn NPC's to it and they will actually partake in all of the activities)
    Live-In Business Mod

There are so so sooooo many mods out there that will change up the game and make it less repetitive and samey!

I use a TON of mods to help keep boredom away, but I also create CC when I'm not in the mood to actually "play" the game. That helps me stay connected with the Sims Community and the game itself without actually playing.

And when I get bored with making CC (or something doesn't work out how I want it to because of the games limitations and I get frustrated with whatever it is I was trying to create, then I take a break from that and jump back in to actually "playing" the game .... until the cycle repeats itself.

Maybe try writing a story and using pose-player to illustrate your story, that allows you to play as the director and set up scenes to tell your story.
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    This happens to me with a lot of games. What I do is take a break and either play something else or do something that isn’t playing games like I’ll read a book or start a craft project. Then I’ll eventually want to play the game again.
    @Chicklet453681 I have been thinking of trying out some different mods that add some cool gameplay, like I found an extended archaeology mod that adds dig sites and artifacts to all the worlds.
    Could you recommend some mods that add whims. I thought it might be fun to play with a sim completely based on their whims, but they're so repetitive in the vanilla game
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    @Chicklet453681 I have been thinking of trying out some different mods that add some cool gameplay, like I found an extended archaeology mod that adds dig sites and artifacts to all the worlds.
    Could you recommend some mods that add whims. I thought it might be fun to play with a sim completely based on their whims, but they're so repetitive in the vanilla game

These are the 2 that I use:

Custom Whims by MissyHissy
    https://modthesims.info/d/659658/the-custom-whims-mod.html

Whim Overhaul by Bienchen
    (I can't link directly to the mod but I linked to the page it's listed on, just do a search for "whimoverhaul")
    https://bienchen.sems-own-world.de/misc-mods/
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Honestly if I didn't have mods I would feel the same. I do make long pauses between playing, but I enjoy it when I do play - but only because I have mods that make the game interesting and fades the sharp edges of the game so it's not as annoying.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • ZanderMagicManZanderMagicMan Posts: 25 Member
    Mods have totally saved Sims 4 for me! That combined with the new ep's and gp's keeps it fresh for a while, but I do often have a few weeks of breaks from it to recharge my sims enthusiasm. Also playing Sims 3 occasionally to do things you can't in Sims 4, like riding horses, driving cars and living on houseboats, stuff like that!
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    No, I can't relate with The Sims 4 specifically. I'm still enjoying it. However, I have grown tired with many games over the years, so I am familiar with the sentiment.

All I can suggest is to go and play something else. I know that I have a backlist of games that I haven't touched, and the various summer sales are right around the corner.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Yeah, mods are what makes the game for me. Without mods it would have been left unplayed long ago.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • MissNOFXMissNOFX Posts: 30 Member
    I feel the same way sometimes...I usually have more fun building and decorating
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2022

It's normal. Nothing to worry about. That's when people decide to mod their games that add new experiences and new situations that could possibly happen, and or go discover something more interesting in real life.

After twenty years of playing this series it's perfectly normal to get burnt out on seeing the same animations, the same reactions, the same conversations, the same type packs, (technically the same stuff more or less) the same way to play, move in a Sim, start a career (or not) start a family (or not) and etc. etc. etc.

Take a long break, nothing says you have to play the games forever just because we have all spent a great deal of money on EA/Maxis for many, many years. Enjoy life away from games for awhile. Something will eventually inspire you to go back to one of them and create something new.
    Whether that's a new creation not even in the game, and or a new story in your head, and or a new building and or a new world and or whatever it may be...life is the inspiration.

One day far off in the future, we will be able to select what each Sim enjoys doing...not likes and dislikes. Like if you want one Sim to serve and drink tea. Another to entertain guests and offer food or drinks to their guests. Or sit down beside the other Sim and have a private conversation. Or to try to help a different Sim by doing something good for them, which only they know about that is upsetting the other Sim. One day this game will be deeper than just the push commands. They will eventually ( don't we wish) have their own personalities and not just a handful of commands. They will be more intuitive. They will reminisce and from that may choose to go see someone or visit a grave and or call someone, and or make a scrape book album about it and or whatever....deeper Sims will eventually happen which will holds a player's attention. They will be able to sit in normal ways. Like we do, not just hands on lap. Keep dreaming whatever it is you want a life simulator to actually mimic.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.