Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Send Your Ghosts To the Netherworld?

Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,075 Member
My sim self's eldest son Tommy and his son were killed off as part of a story I was telling. They both are now ghosts in the game and I haven't released their sprit's to the Netherworld just yet. Tommy's wife Miki has re-married recently via MCCC story progression and has a child with her new husband via Neighbourhood Stories.

I was considering reviving Tommy and his son and writing them back in to the story. The theory I have come up with is that Miki was writing a book about the demise of her marriage and she killed Tommy off in the book. Tommy and Miki's son was murdered by a serial killer sim which could also be included part of Miki's story telling.

Question is do you keep your ghosts or do you release your ghosts to the Netherworld after death?

Comments

• BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    No, they leave on their own. I neither release the ghost or actively keep them beyond the standard time for graves or urns.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I release them unless they have a role to play in a storyline. By "release" I mean that I delete them because I have no need for ghosts outside of rare story purposes.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    I tend to release most but i do have certain sims that leave the sugar skull offerings for the day of the dead thing but otherwise I don't deal with ghosts that often as aging is turned off so I have to delete or kill my sims that i want gone. I just now realize how harsh that last bit sounds 😆
  • honeypooh1267honeypooh1267 Posts: 1,344 Member
    some I release but some I don't.. It just Depends on who the sims is.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I just wait for them to follow the light on their own.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Only the ones that aren't my occult hybrids or Guidry or Temperance.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    Once the ghosts start breaking things, for me it's a sign that they need to go to the Netherworld.
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Yes. Immediately I just expel them from this mortal realm because I will not have my crap broken.
    rudolpha wrote: »
    Once the ghosts start breaking things, for me it's a sign that they need to go to the Netherworld.

This one gets it.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,659 Member
    I have a tradition where the family keep the urn/stone at home for 2 years, they might have a small table with a flower and candle etc for mourning - but I guess it depends on how close they were to the dead sim. After 2 years they will bring the stone to the graveyard and release the spirit if it's still there. Some families make it a ceremony, others spend 5 sim minutes on it, LOL.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member
    On the very rare occasions where a sim I'm playing does die, it's really rare, I don't send them on. At the very least I select 'Strengthen Connection to Physical World' if not play them as a ghost and keep them in the world and in the household while I work to resurrect them. I have never released one to the netherworld. I can't bear to part with them.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited May 2022
    For sims that I have previously played, I cling tightly to their ghosts and regularly strengthen their connection to the material plane so that they stay around.
    For all other ghosts, I purge them weekly by releasing all ghosts to the netherworld.

I have a mausoleum and graveyard on a lot in my game (which is also a vampire bar), so keep the tombstones/urns there and I visit the lot about once per week in game to do the release/strengthen thing.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Banish ghosts to the neverworld? Never! :wink: Actually I play with aging off, so I don't get too many ghosts except by accident, but I like to keep them and have fun bringing them back to life. I hate when I lose a Sim, so I will restart my save if their ghost crosses to the netherworld. I think the ghosts need a refresh and more added to their gameplay though. They don't do much as ghosts other than haunt objects and have a few social interactions.
  • UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    Depends on how destructive they are. If I’m really attached to a sim that dies, I just restart or exit without saving. Sometimes, I roll with it for story purposes like when my legacy founder and her husband died within sim days of each other. I restarted once and it happened again. I was annoyed but just went with it. Thankfully they’d had all 5 daughters already and the heir was a young adult and married.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,075 Member
    Some interesting replies here. I'm still unsure what to do for Tommy and Adam's ghosts. Tommy is my sim self's first born son and he died from a cardiac explosion and Adam was killed by a serial killer sim. If I retconned their deaths than the serial killer sim's family shouldn't exist and I would have to bring back the other two sims that were killed off by the serial killer sim.

Tommy's wife has since remarried via MCCC story progression and has a chid with her new husband so i'm still unsure but leaning towards releasing Tommy and Adam's ghosts to the netherworld. If I resurrected both of them, i'm not sure they could add anything new to the story and I recently retconned my sim self's middle daughter's marriage not so long ago so I don't want to make a habit retconning things in the story.
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,372 Member
    I keep them around by strengthen connection to physical world until I'm certain I don't want to bring them back.
  • wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    I personally will only let sims go if I'm positive they no longer serve a story function, are super disruptive or I'm just not attached. If they can serve a story line, I keep them around as a ghost. If I don't want them to die to begin with (I have aging off) I just exit the game so I never resurrect a sim. They either remain ghosts for story, short story or long term, or get released. Still some offer the sugar skulls, because of their storyline, so I do have the tombstones regardless.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I used to keep them around but they’re more trouble than they’re worth. I never resurrect anyone, they break things and eat my food, and they love to call to hang out which I don’t like. So I just release their spirits now and treasure the pictures I have of them.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Never. I love having Ghosts around. <3
    #Team Occult
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I tend to always release the ghosts, and definitely 100% of the time for pets.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • WhubbleWhubble Posts: 62 Member
    Nope. I wait until the game tries to cull them, then decide whether I will bother letting them stay or not. Sims in my family trees never get culled.
    The Sims is not a game, its a lifestyle choice.
    My 100-Baby Challenge: https://www.theplumtreeapp.com/public/62958b4f386aab7c7a1f98c2
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    90% release because I cant stand doing all the repairs etc. Or I am telling a highly realistic tale. But some i keep. In my 100 babies my oldest teen (child no 1) died saving his famuly from fire. He is now the house ghost and friend and mentor of the others. All the different generations of mother often sit up late at night chatting with him. All other graves and urns are removed to a graveyard lot in that save.

Also in my not so berry orange sim found a vampire ghost sleeping in his bed in an apartment in san myshuno. He did a side quest of bringing the sim back to life and curing their vampirism (they ended up falling in love and marrying).
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

Depends on the ghosts. However...
    :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAAjm_4lbiE
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    edited May 2022
    They're only staying if they're either Sims I *want* to resurrect, or just the spouse of one of my primary Sims.

Can't be having the ghosts of 12 John Does calling to ask my Sims to hang out constantly just because they butted in on one conversation years ago. Dead IS dead.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,075 Member
    Becka28 wrote: »
    90% release because I cant stand doing all the repairs etc. Or I am telling a highly realistic tale. But some i keep. In my 100 babies my oldest teen (child no 1) died saving his famuly from fire. He is now the house ghost and friend and mentor of the others. All the different generations of mother often sit up late at night chatting with him. All other graves and urns are removed to a graveyard lot in that save.

Also in my not so berry orange sim found a vampire ghost sleeping in his bed in an apartment in san myshuno. He did a side quest of bringing the sim back to life and curing their vampirism (they ended up falling in love and marrying).

When Arun and Jasminder Bheeda passed from old age, their son Dan kept their ghosts around the house. Arun would constantly be breaking things in the bathroom and Jasminder would always be baking cakes.