Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suggestions for 2 Olde Mill Lane

Hi, I just bought Cottage Living and saw this property and am wondering how others started and played it? Thanks!

Comments

• Sonshine77Sonshine77 Posts: 197 Member
    Anybody?
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited April 2022
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really understand the question. It's a lot, like any other lot in the game. So you start and play on it the same as any other lot.

Your question has to have a more specific angle of what you are actually wanting for responses than the wording of the question makes clear, at least to me.

In my game, the household living there is one of the 3rd generation descendants of the sim which I started the save game with. The founding sim moved to it when he got married, and they built a family farmhouse, raised some chickens, a llama and a cow, put in a pond for fishing, and developed a very large garden (one of every single plant in the game). It took a while to get all that though, as I don't use cheats.

This is what it looked like during generation 2 of the family. By that time the house was up to 3 stories (+ a basement). It started as just a single story.
    It's a bit different now, with a new workshop shed where the cow plant used to be and a greenhouse where the old outbuilding used to be.
    71c51faeb77185cab9352efd80bd9e8066eb6f4e.jpg

I play with the Simple Living and Wild Foxes lot challenges on the lot, but not Off-The-Grid.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    edited April 2022
    Thanks! I was wondering about the challenge that comes w/the lot, i.e.. the foxes. I do not have Simple Living or Off-The-Grid yet.
    Wild foxes can be super annoying. When my sims first moved to that lot they were very new sims in a very new game, so money was tight and they didn't have much in the way of skills. Foxes killed their chickens and the wild bunnies far more than I liked.

The wild bunnies can be befriended and then they will help with gardening by weeding plants. When foxes kill them, any sim who had made friends with them gets a sad moodlet AND the bunny is no longer around to help with gardening....so it was sometimes frustrating. You can make friends with wild foxes though, and then convince them to leave your lot alone. I didn't do that...because it's time consuming, and mean ol' foxes killing my chickens and bunnies didn't seem like someone I wanted as a friend.

Eventually my sim got high enough handiness and the parts needed to install fox-be-gone alarms on the chicken coops. After that they were much less of a problem. The sim who lives there now also has a very large dog, and dogs will chase off foxes sometimes too.

The foxes are super cute, btw. The gameplay around them can just be annoying is all. Which was fine with me, as it would not be worth calling a lot challenge if it didn't have a downside.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    funnily enough the one lot i didn't play or build or do anything with yet

I think I'm finna make it slightly suspicious butchers house though with the meat walls from eco :lol: so much for idyllic countryside eh.
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited April 2022
    I moved the original house to a 50x40 lot. It fits if you just make the yard smaller. Then I downloaded a mansion from the gallery to fill the 64x64 lot. The spot is purely stunning since you can see it from all over the neighbourhood. Great place for a castle, church or another impressive building.

Edit: Okay so I think I was talking about Olde Mill Hill. It's related though as 2 Olde Mill Lane is where I moved the house.
    edited April 2022
    @musteni, I think you are confused. 2 Olde Mill Lane is an empty lot at the start and is a 50 x 40 lot. You're probably talking about Olde Mill Hill?
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Yeah I noticed. Took me a while to find info which lot is which.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    I've switched out the house three times.

First Front:
    qZhIl9M.jpg
    Back:
    rs9DikH.jpg

Second Front:
    FqoUWLe.jpg
    Back:
    rKEj9h4.jpg

Third front:
    2lATQo0.jpg
    Back:
    DFFxIXL.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    For the fox challenge, I put a gate around the property and lock it for only the household so the foxes can’t get in but my Sims can go out and talk to them when they show up. They are really cute.
    edited April 2022
    I was also considering house from movie The Birds but I feel like I'll do that in another world maybe
    @Simmingal, this one?
    bodega011-e1522802825994.jpg

If that's the one, I think it would look more in place in Forgotten Hollow or maybe the Crumbling Isle neighborhood of Windenburg.
    edited April 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @Simmingal, this one?
    bodega011-e1522802825994.jpg

If that's the one, I think it would look more in place in Forgotten Hollow or maybe the Crumbling Isle neighborhood of Windenburg.

Yeah I just had idea that with all the birds in henford it could be cool for like birdful existence :lol: + my forgotten hollow is full and windenburg island is gonna be sims medieval hotspot so yeah...

maybe brindleton or willow creek are the 2 other options hmm yes i could quite see that on brindleton island...

ofcourse after the birds take over you'll find lots of feathers...
    edited April 2022
    Brindleton island was on my mind as well, @Simmingal. If you ever get around to doing it, please share it here. I'd love to see a recreation in the Sims for that house.
    @Simmingal @Stormkeep That’s brilliant! I vote Brindleton Bay for that movie set. with the cottage living tree stumps with birds all around it :joy:
    Brindleton island was on my mind as well, @Simmingal. If you ever get around to doing it, please share it here. I'd love to see a recreation in the Sims for that house.

Sure I'll post if/when I get around to it :lol:
    I seem to find endless build projects lately and I still got my story to start :lol:
    Wild foxes can be super annoying. The wild bunnies can be befriended and then they will help with gardening by weeding plants.

Only in sims! LOL IRL they eat your leafy greens, lol. For that matter so do deer!
    Stromkeep wrote: »
    When foxes kill them, any sim who had made friends with them gets a sad moodlet AND the bunny is no longer around to help with gardening....so it was sometimes frustrating.

Again, only in the sims. How about a cat? LOL I have one cat IRL who is *always* keeping the rabbit population in control, LOL
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,377 Member
    Sonshine77 wrote: »
    Wild foxes can be super annoying. The wild bunnies can be befriended and then they will help with gardening by weeding plants.

Only in sims! LOL IRL they eat your leafy greens, lol. For that matter so do deer!
    Stromkeep wrote: »
    When foxes kill them, any sim who had made friends with them gets a sad moodlet AND the bunny is no longer around to help with gardening....so it was sometimes frustrating.

Again, only in the sims. How about a cat? LOL I have one cat IRL who is *always* keeping the rabbit population in control, LOL

There's a missed opportunity for Freezer Bunny stew. :naughty:
    edited April 2022
    The Bird(s)house is coming together
    fcrkBcT.png
    blCkhlJ.png
    It seemed simple but the scale is like really hard to get right so I had to compromise a little
    making tower not round but more of a squarey shape :sweat_smile:

also there is no green windows or pillars or exterior detail thingies to go :<
    so I just went with white pillars the actual movie had on it and placed some base game arched windows instead

now it just needs insides and lots of birds and maybe some landscaping... oh and apparently the roof decor thingy...
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I would need a pic of which lot you’re referring to because I don’t remember the addresses.
    @Simmingal it's looking great!
    @Chazzzy it's the empty 50x40 lot in Henford-on-Bagley.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »

Thanks, I never played much in that world at all actually so I’m sure it’s still empty :D
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Elliandre wrote: »

Thanks, I never played much in that world at all actually so I’m sure it’s still empty :D

:joy: Mine is still empty too.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I tried starting a rags-to-riches sim there, but I didn’t like the location. It’s the most remote lot in the most remote neighborhood in the most remote world. There weren’t many collectibles spawning nearby it. I started over in the Bramblewood and haven’t been back to that lot since.