Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 'ignore' feature on this forum is underdeveloped

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
edited April 2022 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
The ignore feature as it stands does not live up to its name.
  • Users you place on ignore are still able to see and post in threads you create.
  • Users you place on ignore are still able to see your posts around the forum.
  • Users you place on ignore are still able to quote and respond to you.
  • Threads from users you have placed on ignore still show up in your feed next to every other thread.

I place users on ignore because I don't want to see their comments around the forum, nor do I want to interact with them. The ignore feature currently does not help with this at all. Please correct this.

Comments

• EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,310 EA Community Manager
    Heya,

Once you've ignored a user, the ignored user’s comments are buried (i.e. you need to actively open their comment to read them) and they can no longer message you. The ignored user's discussions will not be hidden as the comments will be made by regular members and so should remain visible by design.

Ignoring isn't a "block" so users you've ignored will still be able to post in threads you created, quote your posts and respond to them but again, you'll need to actively open their comment to read them.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2022
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Heya,

Once you've ignored a user, the ignored user’s comments are buried (i.e. you need to actively open their comment to read them) and they can no longer message you. The ignored user's discussions will not be hidden as the comments will be made by regular members and so should remain visible by design.

Ignoring isn't a "block" so users you've ignored will still be able to post in threads you created, quote your posts and respond to them but again, you'll need to actively open their comment to read them.

Threads made by users you have on ignore do not show up as "hidden" like their regular posts. They show up just like any other thread, visible. Only their additional comments in their thread are hidden. That is the only way for you to know if you have the thread starter on ignore. It's easy to mistakenly comment in a thread made by someone you have on ignore because the thread is not hidden, nor is the OP of the thread. I have commented in one of these threads before and unfortunately found myself being engaged in conversation with someone I do not wish to engage with, and only noticed because their response to me was hidden. That is the only way to know. Any plans to address this or are we going to continue to be forced to see content we do not wish to see?

Additionally, are there any plans to actually implement a respectable 'block' button on this website?
    edited April 2022
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Heya,

Threads made by users you have on ignore do not show up as "hidden" like their regular posts. They show up just like any other thread, visible. Only their additional comments in their thread are hidden. That is the only way for you to know if you have the thread starter on ignore. It's easy to mistakenly comment in a thread made by someone you have on ignore because the thread is not hidden, nor is the OP of the thread. I have commented in one of these threads before and unfortunately found myself being engaged in conversation with someone I do not wish to engage with, and only noticed because their response to me was hidden. That is the only way to know. Any plans to address this or are we going to continue to be forced to see content we do not wish to see?

Additionally, are there any plans to actually implement a respectable 'block' button on this website?

That's exactly what I just said. At this time we don't have any plans to include a block function here. Simply don't reply to a user's thread if you don't want to potentially engage with them.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
    edited April 2022
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Heya,

That's exactly what I just said. At this time we don't have any plans to include a block function here. Simply don't reply to a user's thread if you don't want to potentially engage with them.

So I am expected to know every single username on my ignore list so that I 'remember' to avoid each and every thread they create? Last I checked, the ignore list can hold 100 users. That doesn't sound the least bit unreasonable to you?

I don't know the reasoning behind why you ignored the users you have ignored, but if you're feeling that you want to chime in on a thread only to then realize you have them ignored it sounds like you may want to remove them from that list.

We're not trying to create an echo chamber here.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I think the idea is that if you are ignoring another user, it is a big enough situation you would remember who you are avoiding. It also gets rid of the private messaging to curtail electronic harassment.

I admit, seeing the threads you aren't interested in can be kind of annoying. I would like to mute a few, if you will, myself, but I can absolutely see issues if ignore becomes a block feature.

For one, abuse. It limits the other person's participation in the forums at the sole discretion of another user. No disciplinary review process to regulate it.

For two, if they did make ignore into a block with a proper disciplinary review process to prevent abuse, then it would limit users in both the scope and the amount of time to apply the block. So less effective in smaller cases than what we have now.

The ignore feature isn't perfect on the forums, but I have yet to see a perfect system when it comes to these sorts of things.
    I don't know the reasoning behind why you ignored the users you have ignored, but if you're feeling that you want to chime in on a thread only to then realize you have them ignored it sounds like you may want to remove them from that list.

We're not trying to create an echo chamber here.

I'm comparing the way the ignore feature works on this forum compared to how it works on other forums, even those without complete 'block' features. There's a lack of personalization / customization up here in my opinion. The only true feature we have is the ability to favorite certain forums so that threads in your feed only come from those forums. I appreciate that. But I would like to see more.
    edited April 2022
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I think the idea is that if you are ignoring another user, it is a big enough situation you would remember who you are avoiding. It also gets rid of the private messaging to curtail electronic harassment.

I admit, seeing the threads you aren't interested in can be kind of annoying. I would like to mute a few, if you will, myself, but I can absolutely see issues if ignore becomes a block feature.

For one, abuse. It limits the other person's participation in the forums at the sole discretion of another user. No disciplinary review process to regulate it.

For two, if they did make ignore into a block with a proper disciplinary review process to prevent abuse, then it would limit users in both the scope and the amount of time to apply the block. So less effective in smaller cases than what we have now.

The ignore feature isn't perfect on the forums, but I have yet to see a perfect system when it comes to these sorts of things.

I frequent another website that does have an ignore feature. Anyone can see a thread you create, and only if the other person also puts you on ignore are you two no longer able to see each other's content. There are no issues. You can tell when a comment is made by someone you have on ignore because there is a banner above their content to make you aware that you're ignoring that user. It's simple and you don't have to memorize any usernames.

Exactly, it is annoying to see your main feed filled up with threads you are not personally interested in on the first page. It would be nice if we could mute certain threads, or if the ignore feature were updated so that we could put certain users who make threads you are not interested in on a proper ignore so we don't have to see them. Sometimes I have to click to page 2 or 3 to come across a thread I want to participate in and/or read. A 'mute' button would help with that.

Right now, everyone's experience up here is basically the same. We all see the same threads. It's so static to me. Why can't we be able to customize our experience on this forum by only seeing threads that interest us or only engaging with people whose comments you would actually care to read? This forum should be seen as another form of social media, and on every social media website I use we can properly ignore/block people. Why is this forum different?