March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

unpopular opinions

Comments

• SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited December 2021
    I want to see actual radio stations and streaming services, like Shoutcast and Spotify as a radio option in my game, but NOT the only radio station - I love putting my own custom mp3 music in with the radio playlists. I also want to be able to watch ads on my Sims' TV screens once in awhile, provided the ads are Superbowl quality and not related to medications or medical devices in any way, shape, or form. I also want the TV shows displayed to change more often, not just 2 or 3 shows per channel, and only 6 movies. By the way, the martial arts movie genre, the sappy holiday movie genre, and the classic giant monster genre, and the kids cartoon animated movies are not in with the list of movies, but should be. (PS a short film about a Sim who becomes....eccentric...after watching too many kids movies in a row, or the same kids movie 5 times in a row, should be a classic. )
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    cytnl wrote: »
    cyncie wrote: »
    So, unpopular opinion: I don’t need tons of giant lots in game. Most of my Sims don’t live in 8 bedroom mansions.

I loathe the giant lots so much. I never used to use them for anything, and definitely not for residential. I think the largest lot I used for a home was a 40 x 30, once. But I was building a one-story Moroccan style home with a central courtyard, so I needed the space. Normally my sims live on 30 x 20 or 20 x 15 lots. I've started using the larger ones for commercial venues as I slowly build various things across the worlds. Mansions are overrated - and take sims hours just to walk across.

I can relate to this too, while I don't mind them too much. I just find myself at a loss as to what to do with all that space, especially any lot above 40x40, other than turning them into commercial lots/venues. :neutral:
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited December 2021
    So, unpopular opinion: I don’t need tons of giant lots in game. Most of my Sims don’t live in 8 bedroom mansions.

I loathe the giant lots so much. I never used to use them for anything, and definitely not for residential. I think the largest lot I used for a home was a 40 x 30, once. But I was building a one-story Moroccan style home with a central courtyard, so I needed the space. Normally my sims live on 30 x 20 or 20 x 15 lots. I've started using the larger ones for commercial venues as I slowly build various things across the worlds. Mansions are overrated - and take sims hours just to walk across.

I can relate to this too, while I don't mind them too much. I just find myself at a loss as to what to do with all that space, especially any lot above 40x40, other than turning them into commercial lots/venues. :neutral:

Two words: Back yard. Huge back yard with a fake park or forested area. Trust me, I'm a lazy builder, and don't have a lot of time at once to play. And yes, they are great for commercial venues too. They make excellent shopping malls. Lots zoned residential in the gallery also seem to make great museums.

I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2021
    The sims team doesnt actually care about representation, they just want to follow trends and buy peoples loyalty by preaching inclusivity now, but let cc-ers provide content for minorities and locked ethnic clothing, hair behind paid dlc. They target young simmers whos just getting politically and socially motivated in the world because they're easier to manipulate into purchasing from brands because the company has now turned 'progressive'. Now that politically the choice of having cultural content be paid dlc or having to use cc isnt looking so moral anymore, they're trying to backtrack and give us content to customize our sims we shouldve had years ago. I hate
    it and it grosses me out.

Yet you're still here. 🤔

Call me naive but I prefer to think the focus on inclusivity is sincere.

Maybe just a bit. Just google how many black, heterosexual males work at EA or Maxis, or Google and or FB and or in any other social media realm that is pushing 'diversity'. Sincere? Facts don't bare it out. Yes, there are black women, but very, very few black male developers in any of these professions. The games may seem 'diverse' but not the companies' hiring histories/practices.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,709 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Call me naive but I prefer to think the focus on inclusivity is sincere.

Maybe just a bit. Just google how many black, heterosexual males work at EA or Maxis, or Google and or FB and or in any other social media realm that is pushing 'diversity'. Sincere? Facts don't bare it out. Yes, there are black women, but very, very few black male developers in any of these professions. The games may seem 'diverse' but not the companies' hiring histories/practices.

Don't really want to get into a discussion of systemic racism, as it's not allowed, but I still appreciate the effort to include diversity in the game.
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 431 Member
    edited December 2021
    I like having big lots so I can build forests and other natural features, or sprawling gardens. I love open space IRL and I'm no different in The Sims.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I think this is a very unpopular opinion around these parts, but I don't care about pack refreshes and I'd rather get new content instead.

I feel like with the refreshes if they actually make notable changes and target important issues that need fixing (Dine Out bugs, Get Famous map, aliens being lacklustre, etc) then I'm all for them. But if they're just gonna be trivial little additions like the Spa Day one was, I'd rather those resources went to making new packs that'd actually enhance my gameplay and give me new things to do, rather than just 15 minutes of "ooh look at this new chair and nail polish" and then closing the game.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    edited December 2021
    Two words: Back yard. Huge back yard with a fake park or forested area. Trust me, I'm a lazy builder, and don't have a lot of time at once to play. And yes, they are great for commercial venues too. They make excellent shopping malls. Lots zoned residential in the gallery also seem to make great museums.

I actually make pretty decent-sized yards on my 30 x 20 lots. But because my sim household size is usually 1-2 sims plus pet(s), I am normally only building 1-2 bedroom places. So larger lots aren't really useful for me in a residential sense, and the house would get swallowed up by the property. That said, my commercial lots are more spacious in general because I want them to be nice places for sims to hang out, so I can just adjust my worlds to suit.

That's my one issue with the gallery builds other than excessive use of MOO. Everything is like a 5 bed/3 bath build and I only play 2 sims in a household max. I'm guessing we're in the minority here though. It's why I play in apartments most of the time, because I'm garbage at building. I do wish you could search the gallery for number of bedrooms because it's likely I'd find a lot more useful builds.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member

I actually make pretty decent-sized yards on my 30 x 20 lots. But because my sim household size is usually 1-2 sims plus pet(s), I am normally only building 1-2 bedroom places. So larger lots aren't really useful for me in a residential sense, and the house would get swallowed up by the property. That said, my commercial lots are more spacious in general because I want them to be nice places for sims to hang out, so I can just adjust my worlds to suit.

That's my one issue with the gallery builds other than excessive use of MOO. Everything is like a 5 bed/3 bath build and I only play 2 sims in a household max. I'm guessing we're in the minority here though. It's why I play in apartments most of the time, because I'm garbage at building. I do wish you could search the gallery for number of bedrooms because it's likely I'd find a lot more useful builds.

I wish for this so hard, while I like that we can look for lot sizes, but the amount of 30x20 lots that somehow have five or so bedrooms crammed into it is annoying, especially when I'm only looking for a starter home for newly-married sims.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • diavolosimsdiavolosims Posts: 37 Member
    Maneuvering Sims 3 camera mode is difficult for me. Perhaps I may have played the console version of the Sims 3 then transferred to playing the Sims 4 on my PC, but it was confusing for me then, it's still confusing for me now. And this might be why I can't building houses good enough.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Apricus wrote: »
    I don’t like realistic looking cc, such as Alpha hair. It looks out of place and takes charm away from the game.

Totally agree with you. I am also a cc addict though, so I'm so thankful that there are so many talented creators who do maxis match CC.
    Is that really an unpopular opinion?
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • ApricusApricus Posts: 671 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I don’t like realistic looking cc, such as Alpha hair. It looks out of place and takes charm away from the game.

Totally agree with you. I am also a cc addict though, so I'm so thankful that there are so many talented creators who do maxis match CC.
    Is that really an unpopular opinion?

I take it as one since everyone I see always loves it and uses it.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,553 Member

I don’t like when people do townie makeovers and completely change them to the point there is nothing makes them recognizable.

100% agree. I have some clothing cc that are borderline between Alpha and Maxis Match and some cc effect eyes. They’re close enough that they don’t stand out too much. But, oddly enough, the “realistic” cc just seems to make the sims created with it that much more fake looking, in a collagen-injected, plastic Botox kind of way.

And townie makeovers that strip away the character in order to replace them with just another bulked up, hunky male model type or Kardashian Wannabe Instagram Influencer (trademark pending)… well, that’s one of my pet peeves. For heaven’s sake… Bob Pancakes is meant to be bland and ordinary! It’s the whole point!
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member

I don’t like when people do townie makeovers and completely change them to the point there is nothing makes them recognizable.

100% agree. I have some clothing cc that are borderline between Alpha and Maxis Match and some cc effect eyes. They’re close enough that they don’t stand out too much. But, oddly enough, the “realistic” cc just seems to make the sims created with it that much more fake looking, in a collagen-injected, plastic Botox kind of way.

And townie makeovers that strip away the character in order to replace them with just another bulked up, hunky male model type or Kardashian Wannabe Instagram Influencer (trademark pending)… well, that’s one of my pet peeves. For heaven’s sake… Bob Pancakes is meant to be bland and ordinary! It’s the whole point!

I recently did the Style Influencer career and making over sims is part of the job. To me making over a sim is to NOT change their appearance as much as to change their clothing. I looked at Bob "the slob" Pancakes, and he came to me with khaki pants, a T-shirt, and those ugly TS4 shoes. I just gave him a better looking pair of pants (cc jeans), a better looking top (a green Darte77 Jacket), a pair of cc casual shoes, a cc beard and short hair that he already had only it wasn't the plastic looking maxis hair that he came with, and a comparable beard to what he already had. He still looked like Bob "the slob" Pancakes. But now he was a neater Bob than the original.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

I recently did the Style Influencer career and making over sims is part of the job. To me making over a sim is to NOT change their appearance as much as to change their clothing. I looked at Bob "the slob" Pancakes, and he came to me with khaki pants, a T-shirt, and those ugly TS4 shoes. I just gave him a better looking pair of pants (cc jeans), a better looking top (a green Darte77 Jacket), a pair of cc casual shoes, a cc beard and short hair that he already had only it wasn't the plastic looking maxis hair that he came with, and a comparable beard to what he already had. He still looked like Bob "the slob" Pancakes. But now he was a neater Bob than the original.

Oh wow I didn't know you could makeover townies with this career. I will have to try that next time.

• LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    I'm not a fan of how CC eyelashes look. I like EA eyelashes.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,709 Member
    edited January 2022
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of how CC eyelashes look. I like EA eyelashes.

Neither am I. I'm not a fan of any S4 genetic cc. I have gigs of genetic cc in my Sims 2 and Sims 3 folders but not a single piece for Sims 4. I like how they look. Hair included.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I think Dragon Alley in Sims 3 is so way better than Windenburg/Henford/Sulani in Sims 4.
    I don’t hate the golden blonde hair color. There. I said it.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

:joy: Morgyn Ember's golden hair is gorgeous, don't you let anyone tell you different.
    Elliandre wrote: »

:joy: Morgyn Ember's golden hair is gorgeous, don't you let anyone tell you different.

That’s right! Morgyn rocks that gold hair and eye liner better than anyone in Glimmerbrook!
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    Not sure if this is unpopular or not but I don’t want an attraction system. I usually pick out who my sim is going to marry when I make them and having an attraction system would ruin that. I hope if we get one with the upcoming romance pack there’s a way to turn it off or at least control it more.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Not sure if this is unpopular or not but I don’t want an attraction system. I usually pick out who my sim is going to marry when I make them and having an attraction system would ruin that. I hope if we get one with the upcoming romance pack there’s a way to turn it off or at least control it more.

I'm right there with ya on that one.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »

I'm right there with ya on that one.

This all boils down to them providing options really.

I like anything that can add emergent gameplay. However, it would be great to have options where things like this can be toggled or even better adjusted.

Imagine have a dedicated section to autonomy settings in the options, instead of just on/off.

These things can be controlled by mods to some extent, but it does leave console players out in the cold.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top