Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 to Sims 5

PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
edited March 2022 in Off Topic Chat
I was thinking since we have not got any new pack for several months and nothing is announced, can it be that delivering no new packs will it make a bigger transition to Sims 5? There are a lot of us who want something new and if they are closing down Sims 4 with no new packs maybe more will buy Sims 5 at release. For those of you who played one, two and three how has the situation then?!
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,872 Member
    We just got Cottage Living last month?
    And Dream Home Decorator shortly before that?
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    edited October 2021
    I think the focus has been on BG updates rather than new packs recently (which is no bad thing!), plus we are still getting kits. I believe developers have also said that there are still a few more years in The Sims 4. I have a feeling that if Sims 5 is released as an online game (as some have speculated) that The Sims 4 may be run alongside it (similar to how Sims 4 and Sims Mobile are being run simultaneously), but who knows?

Unfortunately I don't remember the transitions between previous games, but I'd hope that when the last pack is released that they tell us it is the last one.

There is also a recent job opening in the EA careers website for a Sims 4 environment/world artist, so I think more is to come. :smile:

Edit: They are also seeking Audio Artists:

"The Maxis Studio of Electronic Arts is looking for an Audio Artist III to join the sound team to help us ship upcoming packs for The Sims 4."

So seems there are plenty more packs heading our way. Not to disappoint those who are eager for Sims 5, of course. I hope when it does come that it is everything you all want it to be. :smile:
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    We have been told, multiple times, that TS4 has YEARS of content yet to come.

Polishing the existing game & packs is the current roadmap - so, likely through the rest of 2021.

We'll hear more about what's up next, in the Oct 26 Livestream, but it won't be TS5.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited October 2021

Cottage Living came out in July, 3 months ago...
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Past changes were largely driven by technological advances. I think there are changes in how people play games and they want to cast as wide a net as possible. They probably do still want to keep the legacy gamers while bringing in new players. If anything, I could see some kind of interoperable transition or as someone else pointed out, another version running alongside this one. It may be that they'll switch to a new engine or that they'll release a similar game with some slight differences while still running this one while sales hold up.

I'm not defending the previous ways in which they transitioned between versions. It always felt a bit abrupt.

I don't have an opinion about a new version without looking at it. I also still intend to play this version while I can. If they want to do some historic spin-off, perhaps with optional fantasy for those wanting it (& a lot of emphasis on that for them but ways to play that aren't as well), I could be interested in that. That would be different enough.

I just don't see the point of spending all of this time on adding more detailed representation (a great thing IMO) if they're just going to dump the version and move on without interesting gameplay. I'm actually on Team Gameplay as long as it can be open-ended for those of us who like that style of play.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited October 2021
    I am surprised they aren't releasing an EP in November. Going back there has always been a pack around the end of the year regardless of the next interation of the game. At least there was between sims 2, 3, and 4 with the next Gen being released around summer.

I do believe they did say there would be more content for sims 4 a couple years ago so probably looking at another year or 2 of the sims 4. I also think right now they're focus is on updates. I just hope the updates are worth the missed content.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member

July 22. Almost exactly 3 months ago. For some reason it doesn't seem like it was that long ago. Probably because I still have quite a few features to discover.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    JestTru wrote: »
    I am surprised they aren't releasing an EP in November. Going back there has always been a pack around the end of the year regardless of the next interation of the game. At least there was between sims 2, 3, and 4 with the next Gen being released around summer.

I do believe they did say there would be more content for sims 4 a couple years ago so probably looking at another year or 2 of the sims 4. I also think right now they're focus is on updates. I just hope the updates are worth the missed content.

I guess there never has been a pandemic before lol
    Check out my twitter and tumblr

July 22. Almost exactly 3 months ago. For some reason it doesn't seem like it was that long ago. Probably because I still have quite a few features to discover.

Yeah and I also am still playing with the last two expansions before CoL
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,872 Member

Oh okay, I'm behind then @simgirl1010 @Onverser
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I’m not overly bothered about a new expansion pack, I’m hoping that they are working on improving and fixing what we already have.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    Like someone else said, they are putting a lot of new updates in the sims 4 this year for them to be just dropping it. But then it is unusual if they don’t put out an EP for Christmas too. There currently are a lot of bugs in the game right now like plants reverting. Maybe they are concentrating on bug fixes for the Base game and packs. I would assume that’s kind of hard with always adding new gameplay. Maybe they are working on something major like changing worlds for a car pack, or updating babies, and are running behind because of bugs. Maybe they are concentrating on sims 5. But I think the earliest they would bring it out would be late next year anyway.
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    If they did move on to Sims 5, without adding the remaining Occults, Then they'll be alienating a huge part of their fanbase, Occult Simmers never forget, We still haven't forgiven the Realism Simmers for nerfing our Vampires, next realism pack should be Nerfed as payback and This is just for something minor BTW.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    As far as I'm aware a Sims 5 release is nowhere in sight. Which I'm not unhappy about, they literally just started acknowledging (and in some ways addressing) The Sims 4's core issues like weak personalities and whatnot, and it looks like they plan to continue this trend with the upcoming updates that supposedly add dimension to our sims' lives.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    The reduced number of packs this year could be because they had to work from home, or because they are working on something else like base game updates or refreshes. I guess time will tell.

If a year will pass without any noteworthy updates but reduced packs and more kits, then they have probably assigned more people to work on the sims5.

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,231 Member
    edited October 2021
    Maxis organizational update 2021 :
    + Maxis Europe
    + New Maxis GM : Catharina Mallet (April 2021, replace Joe Nickolls)
    + Phillip Ring (UK) is Executive Producer since November 2020 (Replace Lyndsay Pearson)
    + Isabelle Henriques (Spain) is Senior Producer since January 2021 (Replace Michael Duke)
    + Lyndsay Pearson became VP of Franchise Creative for The Sims

I guess these changes have consequences on the development. New people = new point of view

They want to keep TS4 until 2029 and later.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I find it hard to believe the EA team wants to keep Sims 4 going until 2029,unless they REALLY want people to switch to Paralives and other life sim games.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
    It's interesting to see people see one change and then immediately jump to "the sims 4 is ending" it happens all the time lol. But I mean the more likely cause for this change is, you know, the world-wide pandemic that has been going on for over a year now.

And also there is a lot of bugs and I see a lot of people say they shouldn't be releasing new packs while these bugs are still in the game. Sooo... maybe that's what they are doing.
  • SimminDragonSimminDragon Posts: 34 Member
    If they are going to run sims 5 next to sims 4, and sims 5 is rumored to be more multiplayer style. There is one scenario I can think of where simmers, and other types of gamers may really jump into it. Sims 5 for virtual reality to go along with the occulus quest. I know VR is still pretty new, but many gamers still have the headsets. I like beat saber on the Occulus. I wonder how many simmers would love to jump into the sims world and walk through their virtual house, walk through the neighborhood, meet sims you have created, have a sim exercise buddy you create? You could play more as a watcher as we are now, or more immersive as if you yourself are living in your sim world. You create an avatar for yourself, and you are in first person mode so it feels like you are in the game. If you see yourself in the mirror, you see your sim avatar. Have community spaces where you can meet other simmers, and play some mini games some scored and some not. Do you think sims will actually take things that far eventually? Would you be interested in getting that immersed?
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    If they are going to run sims 5 next to sims 4, and sims 5 is rumored to be more multiplayer style. There is one scenario I can think of where simmers, and other types of gamers may really jump into it. Sims 5 for virtual reality to go along with the occulus quest. I know VR is still pretty new, but many gamers still have the headsets. I like beat saber on the Occulus. I wonder how many simmers would love to jump into the sims world and walk through their virtual house, walk through the neighborhood, meet sims you have created, have a sim exercise buddy you create? You could play more as a watcher as we are now, or more immersive as if you yourself are living in your sim world. You create an avatar for yourself, and you are in first person mode so it feels like you are in the game. If you see yourself in the mirror, you see your sim avatar. Have community spaces where you can meet other simmers, and play some mini games some scored and some not. Do you think sims will actually take things that far eventually? Would you be interested in getting that immersed?

VR is not something I personally am interested in, at all.

If I want to represent myself with an avatar in a virtual world and walk around and meet other other RL people through their avatar, hang out, play board games, shop, chat, etc, I play Second Life (which is not marketed for 7-year olds, even when the rating says it's T).
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    I'd forgotten all about that article on the new Maxis GM.

"It seems so long ago -- over seven years -- since Sims 4 launched," Ryan adds. "We learned a lot. We doubled down since then and the team has done an amazing job of adding to the depth and breadth of the game. Folks in the industry used to talk about having successful games that could live for five years. Now we talk about them lasting ten years, 15 years, or more. There's been a shift across the entire games industry to support and nurture our communities long-term, and we're committed to doing just that with The Sims 4.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited October 2021
    I find it hard to believe the EA team wants to keep Sims 4 going until 2029,unless they REALLY want people to switch to Paralives and other life sim games.

Or they will just play different games... plenty of developers and publishers out there making games...they are not life simulators... but at least they are new and different.

I don't want to play the same life simulator for 15 years.
    Post edited by logion on
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Do you think it's possible that they might just do a Remastered, Anniversary Edition of the Sims 4, rather than making the Sims 5?
    It happened recently with both Skyrim and GTA 5, so it's becoming a trend. So I wonder if they plan on just remastering the game rather than releasing a brand new iteration of the game.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Do you think it's possible that they might just do a Remastered, Anniversary Edition of the Sims 4, rather than making the Sims 5?
    It happened recently with both Skyrim and GTA 5, so it's becoming a trend. So I wonder if they plan on just remastering the game rather than releasing a brand new iteration of the game.

Nah, the Sims Team doesn't have a Todd Howard to market Rereleases.